PDA

View Full Version : Heat: Heat defense

Ghazi
06-09-2014, 01:29 PM
Was absolutely phenomenal. I thought the Spurs wold win this series, but through 2 games it feels like when the Heat clamp down the Spurs have a lot of trouble scoring, eerily similar to the last 5 quarters of the Finals last year... also, Lebron is the 2nd best baller of all time, at worst.

The coaching/system of the Heat deserves a lot of credit, obviously the team is heavily dependent on Lebron but the bottom line is... they do have Lebron.. their spacing on offense/movement on defense is superb as a team.

Malik Hairston
06-09-2014, 01:31 PM
Neither team has been able to gain separation in the first 2 games, tbh..Spurs made a ton of unforced errors in clutch time..

Unreal stat, although it's a small sample size:

Miami is +8.2 points per/100 when Lebron is on the floor, so far through 2 games
They are -53 points per/100 when he sits

Ghazi
06-09-2014, 01:32 PM
Lebron's defense is absolutely disgusting...it is unbelievable

Ghazi
06-09-2014, 01:32 PM
When he's on Parker or Manu, it's as if that player is taken out of the game..when he's switched onto Duncan, it's not even an automatic 2 for Duncan..

Malik Hairston
06-09-2014, 01:33 PM
Which is why it's puzzling that there are people that still compare him to non-impact defensive players like Bird and Kobe:lol..

The only perimeter player that could replace Lebron on this team is maybe Jordan, but I'm not sure if he would be unselfish enough to run their offense, and his style would clash with Wade's..stylistically, Jordan is probably the only other player that can play both ends of the floor at that level..

Ghazi
06-09-2014, 01:33 PM
That is bad science ... Malik :lol

Malik Hairston
06-09-2014, 01:36 PM
That is bad science ... Malik :lol

Nope..obviously you have to factor teammates/lineups/opponents in +/- stats(rather than using them raw), but it shouldn't matter in this case, as Lebron has had the highest adjusted +/- metrics numbers for years, his value and his team's reliance on him has already been proven..

Ghazi
06-09-2014, 01:36 PM
Just compare Kobe at age 29 to Lebron at age 29...

Kobe was on a championship team that year but the defense of that team was built on the length of the frontline, he was hardly ever having the kind of defensive impact that Lebron was. Kobe could not take any player out of the game... like Lebron did with Rose in 2011, Durant in 2012, Parker in 2013 Finals, George v Pacers, etc.

And on offense, he can only dream to have the efficiency of Lebron, the passing of Lebron, the freight train ability to score in the paint of Lebron..

The advanced stats really don't lie on this one, nor does the eyeball test.

Ghazi
06-09-2014, 01:37 PM
the sample size is too small so far though

Ghazi
06-09-2014, 01:38 PM
Also, if Lebron was as good today as he was in 2011 they'd be working on a 4-peat..there's no way the Mavs scheme alone was responsible for his 2011 performance... he's found another gear mentally/added to his skillset since then.

Malik Hairston
06-09-2014, 01:40 PM
It wasn't just Lebron, to be fair, but I agree..

Spoelstra has admitted that they literally didn't work on offense in their first season together, and focused primarily on the defensive end..they basically ran the same type of ISO-oriented offense that OKC runs today..

Obviously Lebron has improved as a player, particularly in the post and as a shooter(as well as mentally, as he was soft in the 2011 Finals), but there's no way an ISO team is beating a team like the 2011 Mavs or today's Spurs IMO..

ISO-oriented offenses no longer win in today's league, ever since the Mavs won the title IMO..teams are finally diverting from coaches that don't run systems..only 5 teams ran more than 10% of their offense through ISO, this season, and 2 of those coaches have already been fired during the off-season(Jackson, Woodson)..

Buddy Mignon
06-09-2014, 01:42 PM
Its not like he's out there guarding great offensive players. Last one he tried to guard torched his ass in the finals.

TIMMYtoZO
06-09-2014, 01:44 PM
Carlisle is a HOF coach and knew what he was doing. There is a reason why he is argued as the best coach in the league. He had the perfect team to beat Miami. Cuban did Miami a real solid by blowing it up soon after, tbh.

Malik Hairston
06-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Carlisle is a HOF coach and knew what he was doing. There is a reason why he is argued as the best coach in the league. He had the perfect team to beat Miami. Cuban did Miami a real solid by blowing it up soon after, tbh.

Ya, I remember you and I saying the only team in the West that could have defeated Miami was Dallas..

Carlisle's zone schemes matched up perfectly with the Heat's lack of shooting and ISO ball..Carlisle is one of the best coaches I have ever seen at exploiting mismatches and at adjusting to his team's defensive personnel..

I know you aren't a fan of Spoelstra, but I really think he has become a good coach, tbh..he has built a system around Lebron that compliments him perfectly, as opposed to Mike Brown's terrible offensive approach in Cleveland(along with the lack of talent, obviously)..

Part of that is Lebron's improvement in the post, as that allows the Heat to play two stretch-bigs in Bosh/Lewis/Battier(which helps against a team like the Spurs, since their elite defensive frontcourt can no longer camp in the paint, in this scenario)..

whitemamba
06-09-2014, 01:52 PM
What will pop do if james keeps sticking tony?

LkrFan
06-09-2014, 01:53 PM
Ball movement is required. None of the hero ball shit will work. Ya'll don't have a Kobe that you can go to when the game gets tight. When the Spurs move the ball, they have success. When they don't, cHeat kicks their ass. It's not rocket science.

Clipper Nation
06-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Ball movement is required. None of the hero ball shit will work. Ya'll don't have a Kobe that you can go to when the game gets tight. When the Spurs move the ball, they have success. Whdn they don't, cHeat kicks their ass. It's not rocket science.
They'd lose every game by 30 if they had a Kirby to go to, Pablo :lol

LkrFan
06-09-2014, 01:59 PM
They'd lose every game by 30 if they had a Kirby to go to, Pablo :lol
Say what you want about Kobe, but the Lakers had the luxury of scrapping the triangle and have Kobe go to work was invaluable. Especially when it was just Shaq and Kobe - and Shaq was flaccid in the 4th quarters.

The cHeat have 3 players they could go to any given night - including the best player in the world. Plus they have elite perimeter defense. Spurs = f:lolcked

TIMMYtoZO
06-09-2014, 02:02 PM
Ya, I remember you and I saying the only team in the West that could have defeated Miami was Dallas..

Carlisle's zone schemes matched up perfectly with the Heat's lack of shooting and ISO ball..Carlisle is one of the best coaches I have ever seen at exploiting mismatches and at adjusting to his team's defensive personnel..

I know you aren't a fan of Spoelstra, but I really think he has become a good coach, tbh..he has built a system around Lebron that compliments him perfectly, as opposed to Mike Brown's terrible offensive approach in Cleveland(along with the lack of talent, obviously)..

Part of that is Lebron's improvement in the post, as that allows the Heat to play two stretch-bigs in Bosh/Lewis/Battier(which helps against a team like the Spurs, since their elite defensive frontcourt can no longer camp in the paint, in this scenario)..

Spoelstra has actually improved. Only 3-4 coaches are better. I just wanted to see this team dominate the playoffs for once like the 2001 Lakers did. I'm over it now, but this team should have had that 1 dominant playoff run.

UZER
06-09-2014, 02:03 PM
The heat cannot keep up this defensive intensity for 7 games. If they do, then they deserve all the credit in the world.

The spurs ball movement are like a boxers punches to the body. They have a cumulative effect over time. But they have to keep moving the ball. Once it stops Miami is able to catch their breath.

Clipper Nation
06-09-2014, 02:08 PM
Say what you want about Kobe, but the Lakers had the luxury of scrapping the triangle and have Kobe go to work was invaluable.
If by "invaluable," you mean "shooting 23% in the clutch," then sure :lol

The cHeat have 3 players they could go to any given night - including the best player in the world. Plus they have elite perimeter defense. Spurs = f:lolcked
Wade and Bosh are useless down the stretch without Kang holding their hand.... see: Game 1 :lol

ambchang
06-09-2014, 02:08 PM
Lebron's defense is sick. The way he flew around the floor and disrupted every passing lane, while still being able to recover on his man, it really is unbelievable to watch. It was like watching a stronger Pippen in his absolute prime on defense (but with a little less man to man ability).

I am not sure if replacing Lebron with Jordan would make the Heat a better or equal team. I am not saying Lebron > Jordan, but this Heat team would probably benefit with a prime Lebron over a prime Jordan.

The Spurs passing has been tentative because of Lebron. Without Lebron, the Heat are a 2nd round sacrifice in the West.

Spurs need to get someone to hit the A/C in Miami.

Franklin
06-09-2014, 06:23 PM
Bro the cHeat got blown out by 15 in game one while they only won the game last night by 2 fluky points.

Ace
06-09-2014, 07:26 PM
Ball movement is required. None of the hero ball shit will work. Ya'll don't have a Kobe that you can go to when the game gets tight. When the Spurs move the ball, they have success. When they don't, cHeat kicks their ass. It's not rocket science.

Kobe can't even stay healthy, stop bringing him up, if are talking retired players then go with Jordan.

CitizenDwayne
06-09-2014, 07:54 PM
And yet they could still be down 0-2 if not for missed free throws.

Clipper Nation
06-09-2014, 08:00 PM
And yet they could still be down 0-2 if not for missed free throws.

Enough of that excuse from Spurfan, tbh.... you'd be down 0-2 if Kang didn't have to leave Game 1....

CitizenDwayne
06-09-2014, 08:02 PM
Enough of that excuse from Spurfan, tbh.... you'd be down 0-2 if Kang didn't have to leave Game 1....

Perhaps. Just saying, they won by 2 fucking points, not like they shut the Spurs down or anything.

The title should be changed to "Lebron's defense"

TDMVPDPOY
06-10-2014, 06:35 AM
so whats the stat for enrique hero ball?

all i know is heat +6pts every time enrique consecutive brick/turnover possessions...

Ricky Davis
06-10-2014, 06:54 AM
Bro the cHeat got blown out by 15 in game one while they only won the game last night by 2 fluky points.

blown out by 15 makes it seem worse than it really was. It was back and forth until Lebron went out and even then, it was close until the last minute and a half when the beans just went crazy from behind the arc

TDMVPDPOY
06-10-2014, 07:00 AM
blown out by 15 makes it seem worse than it really was. It was back and forth until Lebron went out and even then, it was close until the last minute and a half when the beans just went crazy from behind the arc

i dont buy the blow out win, things would be different if lebron didnt cramp out...whose to say those players didnt score in the final 2 mins if lebron was still on the court?

and lol enrique padding his stats in those 2mins when lebron went out....gotto get 20/10 cause duncan already has 20/10 and ginoboli with also a solid game, cant be behind these 2 players for fmvp if we do win it all, gotto have my stats to be a candidate...selfish prick

06-10-2014, 07:06 AM
Just compare Kobe at age 29 to Lebron at age 29...

Kobe was on a championship team that year but the defense of that team was built on the length of the frontline, he was hardly ever having the kind of defensive impact that Lebron was. Kobe could not take any player out of the game... like Lebron did with Rose in 2011, Durant in 2012, Parker in 2013 Finals, George v Pacers, etc.

And on offense, he can only dream to have the efficiency of Lebron, the passing of Lebron, the freight train ability to score in the paint of Lebron..

The advanced stats really don't lie on this one, nor does the eyeball test.
Rose in 2011= the only weapon on his team
Durant in 2012= dropped 30 ppg on the kang
Parker in 2013= hit a nasty step back 3 in Kang's face that should have ended the series.
PG= inefficient manufactured superstar. :lol still dropped 21 on the kang in the fourth q on game 5

LeRoid is a PF that moves around like a point guard and yet he can only guard small point guards.

Raven
06-10-2014, 07:07 AM
miami's d looked like utter shit most of the time tbh, i was not impressed in the slightest.

06-10-2014, 07:07 AM
Oh yeah, let's not forget TOSB Joe Johnson taking a wet one on him.

06-10-2014, 07:08 AM
miami's d looked like utter shit most of the time tbh, i was not impressed in the slightest.
Right. I was more disappointed in our defense, and our defense was only bad because of our best defenders being in foul trouble.

06-10-2014, 07:11 AM
:lmao that's just your opinion. There's no facts to accompany it. They were down 2 when the faggot left the game so it's not like we came back once he left.

If we make those free throws, we winPERIOD

Franklin
06-10-2014, 06:06 PM
Lebron ain't the right guy to count on imho. If you are a bitch you can hold his dick to suck (just like Harlem does) but you better not think about having a serious relationship with him because he will QUIT when he thinks the time is right (the "decision", the cramp etc...). You'll still have to count on Ray Allen to save your asses when shit really matters but dude ain't gonna get so lucky this time I'm afraid.

TDMVPDPOY
06-10-2014, 06:33 PM
mario chalmers was the scapegoat last finals, he never got congratulated for taking a shit on enrique for game 6+7 outscoring him

this year he has finally figured out how to stop enrique when his playbook is easily figured out and a 1 dimensional player

- high screen either give him the elbow b4 he uses the screen
- if uses the high screen catch him when running over/under screen with the elbow out waiting for him
- floater/layup in the key either elbow him b4 he gets to close for the motion of shooting
- if already in the air for above shot attempt, elbow him down
- basket in transition u know his going to spin, u elbow him b4 he spins
- if he spins to ur blindspot, stick out other elbow and swing

20000ppl in a stadium didnt do shit to back him up when he got elbow
just like the couple hundred of patrons in the club did nothing to b ack him up when he got bottled

Ricky Davis
06-10-2014, 07:01 PM
i dont buy the blow out win, things would be different if lebron didnt cramp out...whose to say those players didnt score in the final 2 mins if lebron was still on the court?

and lol enrique padding his stats in those 2mins when lebron went out....gotto get 20/10 cause duncan already has 20/10 and ginoboli with also a solid game, cant be behind these 2 players for fmvp if we do win it all, gotto have my stats to be a candidate...selfish prick

sons, what's with the constant Parker hate, not just from you but from most on the site? Dude is a baller but he seems to get a lot of hatred around here. Why not direct the hatred at somebody else probably more deserving?

God Bless you, family , etc

TDMVPDPOY
06-10-2014, 07:26 PM
sons, what's with the constant Parker hate, not just from you but from most on the site? Dude is a baller but he seems to get a lot of hatred around here. Why not direct the hatred at somebody else probably more deserving?

God Bless you, family , etc

spurs have lead or bench bailing out his poor performance 1st half, only to see him come back into the game with the hero ball antics, there goes the lead, there goes the game, there goes the series

why do you think nobody on the court, or anyone in the stadium stood up for him when he got elbow to the chest? deep down inside they probably thanking chalmers for knocking the wind out of the ballhog...

doesnt play a lick of defense and blowing plays from hard defensive play in transition...

watch t onights game and see how many blown defensive assignments from enrique or him being in the paths of green or kawhi when guarding/chasing lebron through screens and shit...