PDA

View Full Version : Should the Spurs trap Lebron?

Malik Hairston
06-09-2014, 01:58 PM
Should they consider trapping Lebron early and subsequently trying to deny him the ball?

Miami's offense is very mediocre when Lebron isn't the initiator of everything, and just like last year's Finals(where they were -56 when Wade was on the floor), they continue to struggle when Wade is on the floor with Lebron..

Their most effective lineups against the Spurs continue to be Lebron + shooters(Bosh, Lewis, Allen, in particular), but none of those perimeter shooters can create for themselves against non-Belinelli defenders, and I don't have a problem with Bosh creating off the dribble, either..

Should it be something they consider mixing in with the regular defensive strategy?..It probably wouldn't work with Boris guarding Lebron, but both Kawhi and Danny are great at ball-denial defense(although Green hasn't guarded Lebron much, so far)..

Malik Hairston
06-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Pop had the same idea on the final Heat possession of last night's game, but Tim played it horrifically, as he inexplicably chased Bosh 3-feet behind the 3-point line:lol..

RD2191
06-09-2014, 02:02 PM
Idk basketball or the terminology that well. (obviously) tbh. Does trap mean to double so he gives up the ball in turn having other guys having to create for themselves?

Mugen
06-09-2014, 02:04 PM
He's torched the Spurs in the last 4 playoff games and miami is 3-1. You run the risk of letting their role players get off, especially at home....but I'd rather dare Rashard Lewis, Chalmers, and Cole beat us than the best player on the planet tbh....

lefty
06-09-2014, 02:19 PM
no

If we trap him, his teammates will kill us from downtown

We shouldnt have fixed the AC for game 2 TBH

Cuck move

spurraider21
06-09-2014, 02:20 PM
Idk basketball or the terminology that well. (obviously) tbh. Does trap mean to double so he gives up the ball in turn having other guys having to create for themselves?
yeah, either a blatant double, or if they set a screen, both pick and roll defenders stay on lebron to force a pass

Kawhi
06-09-2014, 02:21 PM
No, refs will just a call a reach in on Leonard and give Duncan a technical for arguing the call

RD2191
06-09-2014, 02:24 PM
yeah, either a blatant double, or if they set a screen, both pick and roll defenders stay on lebron to force a pass

Thanks. Sounds like an interesting strategy.

Malik Hairston
06-09-2014, 02:27 PM
It can work when Leonard and Green are on the floor, since they're both quick enough to recover to shooters, when necessary..

When Wade is on the floor, it gives the Spurs room for error, as he can't shoot, and he has trouble creating, at this point of his career..

TD 21
06-09-2014, 07:34 PM
Pop had the same idea on the final Heat possession of last night's game, but Tim played it horrifically, as he inexplicably chased Bosh 3-feet behind the 3-point line:lol..

I think he thought a dribble hand off was coming and tried to break it up. Unfortunately, it's finally dawned on Bosh that he can still take damn near every big in the league off the dribble in space. I've never understood why he doesn't repeatedly do this to the far more immobile Hibbert.

That play was a microcosm of a bigger issue and that is, the Spurs have no answer for the Chalmers-Allen-Wade-James-Bosh lineup. It forces Duncan to guard Bosh, cover too much ground in general and get's them too spread out. I'd put Duncan on Chalmers. If they want to clear out and let Chalmers break Duncan down off the dribble, have at it. He's one of the worst off the dribble PG's in the league, the ball will be out of James' hands and they'll stagnate and likely lose their rhythm.

As far as trapping James, sure. They've got to try something or they're not going to win this series. Leonard staying out of foul trouble would help, as would some regression to the mean on James' part, but neither can be counted on.

Russ
06-09-2014, 07:37 PM
Not so much a trap, but a quick double (then back to straight up D).

The most likely Spur to do this is Patty Mills. Just a quick swipe from the blind side then move on . . .

th3answ3r
06-09-2014, 07:48 PM
we should bait them to inbound the ball to the other player. Have one on lebron when he stands under their basket to receive the inbound so that someone else brings it up. Then when bron gets up you trap n make sure the man left open is not good at shooting ala birdman's defender possibly

tholdren
06-09-2014, 08:00 PM
no. any player with ball handling and passing ability LOVES to be trapped/jumped/double teamed, it makes everything so much easier to see, not to mention a player like lebron would eat the give and go up because we dont have anyone quick enough to rotate effectively with our current rotation. Double teaming would be playing into lebrons favor due to his athleticism. Change the personnel, not the strategy.

superbigtime
06-09-2014, 08:03 PM
No way.

T Park
06-09-2014, 09:30 PM
lol Russ's GIF still makes me laugh. 11 years later.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-09-2014, 09:35 PM
Triangle-and-two. On Lebron at all times. The other man-to-man Wade/Bosh/Allen in that order. Leonard, Diaw, Green assigned to Lebron in that order. Ideally, help with Lebron should come from Manu, Tim, Tony, Tiago, depending on where he receives the ball and who's the closest help defender.

If the Heat shooters get a little cold, Box-and-one. Again, on Lebron at all times, the moment he gets near the 3-point line the double team should be already set.

Throw him a classic 1-on-1 man-to-man once in a while, help coming if the beats his defender off the dribble.

They can't let him settle into a rhythm and let them read the defense. Throw them different looks, play hard and always have a hand up near them. If they can beat that, you just have to congratulate them.

peacemaker885
06-09-2014, 09:52 PM
Pop got this.

TheGreatYacht
06-09-2014, 09:56 PM
Nope. I'm sure Pop doesn't want the team to foul out... Only Miami can play physical defense

tholdren
06-09-2014, 10:30 PM
Triangle-and-two. On Lebron at all times. The other man-to-man Wade/Bosh/Allen in that order. Leonard, Diaw, Green assigned to Lebron in that order. Ideally, help with Lebron should come from Manu, Tim, Tony, Tiago, depending on where he receives the ball and who's the closest help defender.

If the Heat shooters get a little cold, Box-and-one. Again, on Lebron at all times, the moment he gets near the 3-point line the double team should be already set.

Throw him a classic 1-on-1 man-to-man once in a while, help coming if the beats his defender off the dribble.

They can't let him settle into a rhythm and let them read the defense. Throw them different looks, play hard and always have a hand up near them. If they can beat that, you just have to congratulate them.

swap wade for Bosh in the rotation and maybe. Spurs are better than Wade LEbron. Its when the role players start getting off we have no answer. Mental midgets.

look_at_g_shred
06-09-2014, 10:52 PM
Not on every possession but yeah why not?

DAF86
06-09-2014, 11:06 PM
Yes, that and mix it up by sagging the fuck off and leting him shoot all the midrange jumpers he wants.

heyheymymy
06-10-2014, 04:37 AM
lol Russ's GIF still makes me laugh. 11 years later.

noob question but what is the story on the asterisk gif?

heyheymymy
06-10-2014, 04:37 AM
it cracks me up too and i don't even know the story.

06-10-2014, 06:37 AM
Not every time, but mixing it in with the other defenses could help I suppose. I'm not a fan, though.

Tuddy
06-10-2014, 06:38 AM
Start the sagging strategy same as last year

Old School 44
06-10-2014, 07:11 AM
Yes, but mix it up. A steady diet of the same defense will eventually be picked apart by James.

baseline bum
06-10-2014, 07:22 AM

Russ was at Game 6 of the 03 series in LA, and that series was the NBA championship. That game is when they erased the asterisk.

Raven
06-10-2014, 07:42 AM
We should start playing our best defenders before we think about implementing daring schemes.

dg7md
06-10-2014, 08:04 AM
Bron killed us last game but is not why they won... that Bosh three and our clanked FTs were why the Heat came out with a victory. No sense in doubling LeBron yet tbh, let's see how the plan works when we hopefully can make our freebies and intimidate Bosh and their shooters some more with actual defense on them.

Pop knows this shit more than us so I'm sure he's got a plan and some adjustments prepared.

Old School 44
06-10-2014, 09:34 AM
Now that I give it some more thought trapping is the way to go with LeBron. And if done properly, you only have to do it once.

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o518/tcatz/Trapping_zps1904e302.jpg

said7
06-10-2014, 09:38 AM
Yes with a syphilis infested 8th street hooker.

hsxvvd
06-10-2014, 01:34 PM
Kwahi will be fine. Believe.

heyheymymy
06-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Russ was at Game 6 of the 03 series in LA, and that series was the NBA championship. That game is when they erased the asterisk.

epic, thanks for the details. 03 really was trashing the PJ asterisk of 99 in a grand way.

cd021
06-10-2014, 02:53 PM

Usually in P&Rs

for example Splitter defending Bosh, Leonard defending Lebron. After Lebron goes around Bosh's screen, Splitter leaves Bosh and steps in front of the path of Lebron while Lebron chases him around the screen. The idea is to force him to give up the ball rendering the P&R relatively useless. Bosh would likely stay at the 3pt line to make the pass out of the double team easier.

The Thunder did this to us and we did it to Dallas.

benstanfield
06-10-2014, 03:22 PM
If you try to keep the ball out of his hands you foul out (see: Kawhi g2). You don't get to stand your ground when LBJ battles for position. They call any contact you make with him.

No other post player gets these calls as consistently. If Dwight got the kinds of off ball calls LBJ has gotten this series when posting (and made his FTs) he'd be the GOAT.

BatManu20
06-10-2014, 03:22 PM
When he's going off like he did in Game 2, yes.

RD2191
06-10-2014, 04:30 PM
Usually in P&Rs

for example Splitter defending Bosh, Leonard defending Lebron. After Lebron goes around Bosh's screen, Splitter leaves Bosh and steps in front of the path of Lebron while Lebron chases him around the screen. The idea is to force him to give up the ball rendering the P&R relatively useless. Bosh would likely stay at the 3pt line to make the pass out of the double team easier.

The Thunder did this to us and we did it to Dallas.
Awesome breakdown, thanks man. I appreciate it.

cd021
06-10-2014, 07:52 PM
I like the idea of switching on screens for Lebron and Bosh late in games with Diaw and Leonard. They do the same thing with Lebron and Bosh on Duncan and Parker. (Lebron fronts Duncan after they switched defensive assignments)

Better than the trap as it keeps Bosh covered (and depending on the time left in the possession) he may opt to spot up, instead of post Leonard.

T Park
06-11-2014, 12:25 PM

google phil jackson asterisk

Raven
06-11-2014, 12:25 PM
We should start playing our best defenders before we think about implementing daring schemes.

you're a genius tbh

TJastal
06-11-2014, 12:35 PM
If you try to keep the ball out of his hands you foul out (see: Kawhi g2). You don't get to stand your ground when LBJ battles for position. They call any contact you make with him.

No other post player gets these calls as consistently. If Dwight got the kinds of off ball calls LBJ has gotten this series when posting (and made his FTs) he'd be the GOAT.

if Durant ever gets strong enough to develop a post game he'll live at the line.

heyheymymy
06-11-2014, 09:39 PM
google phil jackson asterisk

nah, i knew about the comments etc from pj (read my reply just above^), was just always wondering about russ' gif tossing the paper at the anchors.

thanks man

DAF86
06-11-2014, 09:56 PM
For all the talk about Kawhi's defense on Lebron, James is averaging 27 ppg on 60% shooting and 70% from threes. I think the Spurs should do something different to what they are doing, tbh.

therealtruth
06-11-2014, 10:10 PM
For all the talk about Kawhi's defense on Lebron, James is averaging 27 ppg on 60% shooting and 70% from threes. I think the Spurs should do something different to what they are doing, tbh.

He didn't get much opportunity to play defense in games 1-2.

Trapping Lebron is risky. He's one of the best passers and is tall enough to see over the trap.

MI21
06-12-2014, 12:20 AM
I'm not entirely keen on trapping LeBron, he is just to good of a passer and with his size and jumping ability he will pick that shit apart. As bad as a lot of the heat roleplayers are, they are seasoned and have proven they can hit big shots - I'm not sure I want to let Chalmers, Allen, Lewis, Battier (you know it's coming) etc get confidence with wide open looks. That said, I think the Spurs need to throw it at him occasionally just to break his rhythm.

Hopefully the bastard starts missing on his 3pt attempts, 7/10 so far is ridiculous. If he was just 3/10 then his averages would be 23PPG on just over 50%.. much more palatable than what he is getting now. Seems strange to just hope he starts missing, but this is LeBron and there isn't much else you can do. The great thing is he isn't getting to the line.... yet.