PDA

View Full Version : Pop with the goods, "It's the finals, guys shouldn't be fouled out..."

06-10-2014, 01:48 PM

peacemaker885
06-10-2014, 01:53 PM
Pop treading on thin line....but gave props to the refs. All good.

xmas1997
06-10-2014, 01:54 PM
Just saying it like it is.
He'll be fined no doubt.

DesignatedT
06-10-2014, 01:55 PM
Well technically he's talking about all players not just his team.

peacemaker885
06-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Pop in a good mood....we win..

kidd_91
06-10-2014, 02:03 PM
You know the ref situation is bad when Pop calls them out.

SpurPadre
06-10-2014, 02:04 PM
That was some Phil Jackson type of ref-trolling, tbh. Good stuff, Pop.

Shastafarian
06-10-2014, 02:15 PM
The way Kawhi has been "allowed" to guard in the playoffs (the last two series most noticeably) has been troubling. All anyone can hope for is CONSISTENCY, something the announcers mentioned during the game. The officials have been far from consistent. A touch foul here vs hacks (they missed an obvious one on Kawhi fouling lebron and who knows how many on the bigs in the paint) and the players don't know what they can do on defense.

Budkin
06-10-2014, 02:23 PM
Perfect way to put it without the chance of being fined. Never criticized the refs.

Tito's Tattews
06-10-2014, 02:23 PM
http://i.imgur.com/EmQ3v.gif

Seefourdc
06-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Never thought I would have to look at Pop as a crybaby but this is seriously retarded. Kawhi has played two AWFUL games entirely of his own volition. He literally tackled Anderson for no reason at all to get his (5th?!) foul in the game. Seriously dumb.

I expect it from fans and even players (Paul George lol) but not from coaches. And seriously, your organization was just responsible for one of the most embarrassing Finals issues in a long time a game ago. They need to come off of it.

xmas1997
06-10-2014, 02:59 PM
I swear to God that Leonard isn't doing anything to James, that James isn't doing to the Spurs, yet the refs won't call James for anything.

UZER
06-10-2014, 03:05 PM
Never thought I would have to look at Pop as a crybaby but this is seriously retarded. Kawhi has played two AWFUL games entirely of his own volition. He literally tackled Anderson for no reason at all to get his (5th?!) foul in the game. Seriously dumb.

I expect it from fans and even players (Paul George lol) but not from coaches. And seriously, your organization was just responsible for one of the most embarrassing Finals issues in a long time a game ago. They need to come off of it.

Yeah....because that's the foul call on Leonard that pop was talking about.

mavsfan1000
06-10-2014, 03:06 PM
I swear to God that Leonard isn't doing anything to James, that James isn't doing to the Spurs, yet the refs won't call James for anything.
The difference is that he is LEBRON JAMES! Leonard is the other guy.

Jimcs50
06-10-2014, 03:17 PM
two of Manu's fouls were total bullshit. I think Pop is calling out refs.

superbigtime
06-10-2014, 03:21 PM
Nice. Well timed. Am glad Pop said something.

xmas1997
06-10-2014, 03:28 PM
Nice. Well timed. Am glad Pop said something.

Me too. Sometimes you have to take a fine in order to get things right.

sammy
06-10-2014, 03:33 PM
Awesome! I just wish he would call these crooked bastards out! So pay the fine but call it like it is! Rigged NBA with their crooked refs!

poop
06-10-2014, 03:44 PM

This

TE
06-10-2014, 03:48 PM
Pop is hinting at the fact that Green and Leonard have been in foul trouble through the majority of the last eight quarters played. It's ruined our gameplan to defend adequately on the perimeter (as well as individual defense on Lebron). It's like a shot in the gut seeing Belinelli get playing time...watching him attempt to play defense is like allowing a Tarantula to stick those fangs on your flesh, tbh.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-10-2014, 03:48 PM

Lebron nearly raked Parker's fingers off on that one late drive where the possession was challenged. Less of a foul than Leonard's block of James' earlier drive.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-10-2014, 03:50 PM
Manu and Leonard were both rendered ineffective through important stretches of the game the other night. I hope the refs let the teams' best players match up at least.

will_spurs
06-10-2014, 03:57 PM

Ok so that's one legit foul on Leonard. He got two early fouls because he dared look at his majesty Lebron in a way that the refs found distasteful. And he got an offensive foul because a Miami player hacked at his arms.

Sounds legit.

Shastafarian
06-10-2014, 04:16 PM

http://s3.amazonaws.com/lolsnort_prod/photos/13/small/Haters-gonna-hate.jpg

loveforthegame
06-10-2014, 04:27 PM
Way to go Pop. :tu

We'll see if it makes any difference though. I figured Leonard might as well be glued to the bench.

Old School 44
06-10-2014, 04:35 PM
Not that I want anybody thrown out for T's, but it was interesting what long time official Steve Javie said about refs during the telecast when Tim got his T. He basically said something like... the officials know if someone (a star) has a T early in the game and that they are more lenient about calling a second T so they do not throw the player out. Don't get me wrong, I understand what he's saying, but if they have that kind of thinking for technical fouls, I think it's safe to say they have the same kind of thinking for personal fouls.

This is a star driven league, they don't want LeBron to foul out and they would like for him to put on an offensive show. He can't do that if he's not on the court or if Kawhi's draped over him. This goes both ways, but I think TD is the only one who gets superstar treatment for the Spurs, whereas the Heat have LeBron and Wade.

doobs
06-10-2014, 04:42 PM
^ This.

A superstar with 5 fouls in a competitive game basically has license to maim and injure.

cd98
06-10-2014, 05:03 PM
I'm really against the "blaming the ref" thing, but I think this is more of set a tone and be consistent. It seems at times that refs were letting crazy contact go, and then they start calling touch fouls. Sure a few Miami scrubs picked up some fouls, but we rely on 8 to 9 players to make solid contributions for a win. If we lose two or three to foul trouble, it hurts us significantly.

Tuddy
06-10-2014, 05:16 PM
I don't know how Durant gets all the hate when LeBron, particularly on D is allowed bump over and over and never gets called for blocking fouls. Not to mention clearing guys out with his left arm to drive and grab offensive rebounds.

philldafunk
06-10-2014, 05:21 PM
Awesome! I just wish he would call these crooked bastards out! So pay the fine but call it like it is! Rigged NBA with their crooked refs!

I always wondered what would happen if someone flat out said it's rigged during the presser. I mean like a blatant call out on the NBA and the bullshit.

DarrinS
06-10-2014, 05:23 PM
I didn't realize that was the first time in his 243 career games that Kawhi has fouled out.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
06-10-2014, 05:31 PM
I always wondered what would happen if someone flat out said it's rigged during the presser. I mean like a blatant call out on the NBA and the bullshit.

I could see a coach saying something like that after retirement if they don't have a broadcasting career and are a guest on some show or something.

Dex
06-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Kawhi has not been able to play real defense on Lebron yet this series. He has been hamstrung with fouls virtually the entire time. Glad Pop finally said something about it, in classic CIA Pop form of course.

DarrinS
06-10-2014, 05:46 PM

Stop bitching about the AC already. Didn't they lose power during a recent Super Bowl?

Shit happens

xmas1997
06-10-2014, 05:57 PM
I finally heard the whole answer and it is nothing controversial.

HI-FI
06-10-2014, 06:34 PM
very proud of Pop to finally say something about the officiating, even if in a non-inflammatory way.

the lack of consistency has been a hallmark of the NBA for awhile. it becomes pointless after awhile to watch or play if the games are manipulated to this degree.

Chinook
06-10-2014, 07:07 PM
James was fouled on that last play. I mean he was foul by Ginobili, but still. Had Leonard been the one who tripped James, he would have definitely deserved a foul, even if it were his sixth. I don't like the idea that officials should be stricter or more lenient depending on foul count.

Leonard shouldn't have fouled out, but really, that was incidental to how the game ended. Pop would have still had Diaw and Duncan in on that last Miami play, which means the play would have happened the same way. Leonard would have played it like Green did, except perhaps less aggressively, since Kawhi would have been at five fouls. So yeah, Leonard fouling out didn't matter.

TheGoldStandard
06-10-2014, 07:10 PM
Does anyone ever really listen to the Spurs when it's not some kind of "controversial" We will win comment.

06-10-2014, 08:35 PM
Paying off early