PDA

View Full Version : Amateur: How does the supposed "2nd best shooting guard of all-time" get outplayed by P Pierce

midnightpulp
06-10-2014, 07:14 PM
Let's be real, Paul Pierce is at best a top all-time 50 player, and yet, he's outplayed Kobe head-to-head in the regular season and in the Finals, when he was already past his prime while Kobe was getting Jordan comparisons.

Let's take a look at some stats:

http://oi57.tinypic.com/2r3h4ir.jpg

Pierce outplayed Kobe in pretty much every category, even scoring, since Pierce was worlds more efficient from 2 point and 3 point range.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/2148ewj.jpg

Comparing their Finals stats is a little trickier, since Kobe wins PPG by 7.4, but as we all know, PPG is the most overrated stat in basketball. Pierce is once again more efficient, averages more apg (which is impressive considering Rondo's assist whoring and the fact Kobe sets up the Triangle), more blocks and less TOs. Obviously Pierce won't win the PPG battle since he had to share the offense with Allen, Garnett, and Rondo, and is simply not as selfish a player as Kobe. I'd say the overall line slightly favors Pierce, which is inexcusable since Pierce was well past his prime at this point while the media was crowning Kobe Jordan's successor.

Since I'm not a frothing at the mouth Kobe hater, I don't consider Pierce the better overall player. That would be silly. Kobe is a fringe top 10 great. But I find it interesting that "Jordan's Heir" got outplayed by a very good (not great) wing player in both the regular season and on the grandest stage.

Clipper Nation
06-10-2014, 07:16 PM
The Truth > Role Player KirbyPERIOD

Never mind Pierce, though..... how does the supposed "2nd best SG ever" get worked by Isolayshaun Prince in the Finals? :lol

LkrFan
06-10-2014, 07:21 PM
Deflecti:loln

midnightpulp
06-10-2014, 07:24 PM
The Truth > Role Player KirbyPERIOD

Never mind Pierce, though..... how does the supposed "2nd best SG ever" get worked by Isolayshaun Prince in the Finals? :lol

That was pretty bad.

Kobe even lost the individual SG battle with Rip Hamilton :lol

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=hamilri01&p2=bryanko01#stats_playoffs::none

Out rebounded by Rip 5.2 to 2.8 :lol

Now that I think about it, has Kobe ever outplayed his wing counterpart in the Finals?

00: Outplayed by Reggie Miller AND Jalen Rose
01: Outplayed by A.I.
02: Nets had no good wings. Not worth mentioning.
04: Outplayed by Rip AND Prince
08: Outplayed by Pierce
09: Best wing Hedo. Not worth mentioning

So that leaves us with 10, where Kobe finally managed to outplay an all-star level wing in the Finals. And it's arguable if Pierce was even all-star level in '10.

Floyd Pacquiao
06-10-2014, 07:25 PM
BOOM! HEAD SHOT!

Strange Love
06-10-2014, 07:25 PM
Deflecti:loln

From what?

Clipper Nation
06-10-2014, 07:28 PM
From what?
I'm pretty sure José is summing up all of his fellow Kirbystans' posts this postseason.... either that, or he's talking about the vast majority of Kirby's shots and how they deflected off the rim :lol

midnightpulp
06-10-2014, 07:28 PM
:lmao Austin Croshere even outplayed Kirby in the Finals:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_2000_finals.html#LAL-IND

Arnold Toht
06-10-2014, 07:29 PM
It hurts you, Midst. I know it does.

LkrFan
06-10-2014, 07:34 PM
From what?
From det ass kicking y'all bout to suffer. This thread is a pacifier for BNSFags everywhere. :lol

midnightpulp
06-10-2014, 07:34 PM
It hurts you, Midst. I know it does.

What does? Duncan is averaging 20 and 12 in the Finals while Kobe tweets about energy drinks and gets ready to lead the Lakers to the lottery next season (again).

TDMVPDPOY
06-10-2014, 07:35 PM
2nd best sg gettin beatup by a scrub pg, gets clothesline by bell

yet not one single laker backed him up

had to go out buy rolexes to get friends...lmao kirby

midnightpulp
06-10-2014, 07:37 PM
2nd best sg gettin beatup by a scrub pg, gets clothesline by bell

yet not one single laker backed him up

had to go out buy rolexes to get friends...lmao kirby

Oh yeah, those prime SSOL Suns teams owned Kirby's soul.

Arnold Toht
06-10-2014, 07:37 PM
You flamed out after game 7, Mid.

midnightpulp
06-10-2014, 07:41 PM
You flamed out after game 7, Mid.

We'll see.

Still, back-to-back Finals >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> blowing your Achilles trying to be a hero and quitting on your team mid-season. Kobe not coming back to battle in the trenches with his team when he (admittedly) was healthy enough to play was one of the most pathetic moves an "All time great" has ever pulled.

ImDaNuts
06-10-2014, 07:55 PM
A.I. had that Fluke Game 1 vs the Lakers and Kobe took over in Game 2 and 3 then Shaq came in and cleaned up the rest.

TDMVPDPOY
06-10-2014, 07:57 PM
quiting on his team in 03/04 finals when pistons were up in the series and shaq had a monster series, cant win fmvp might as well throw the series

quit again against the suns when he begged all season to be leader of his own team

midnightpulp
06-10-2014, 07:59 PM
A.I. had that Fluke Game 1 vs the Lakers and Kobe took over in Game 2 and 3 then Shaq came in and cleaned up the rest.

A.I. still had the better overall series and had to carry way more load for his team than Bryant.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_2001_finals.html

LkrFan
06-10-2014, 08:10 PM
From what?

Miami boots to Spur asses. :lol

KL2
06-10-2014, 08:22 PM
I'd also like to know how he got locked down by Prince while a year later Manu dominated him, against a superior Detroit team as well.

Strange Love
06-10-2014, 08:59 PM
Miami boots to Spur asses. :lol

Nice call Eduardo.

You truly have the lefty gift in ya. :lol

LkrFan
06-10-2014, 09:05 PM
Nice call Eduardo.

You truly have the lefty gift in ya. :lol

:lol

Thebesteva
06-10-2014, 09:10 PM
OP, if Kobe is not great why the fuck do you keep making threads about him and bring him up in every single example? You've been Black Mamba'd nigga

unforeseen
06-10-2014, 09:13 PM
Mid does make valid points though.

OP, if Kobe is not great why the fuck do you keep making threads about him and bring him up in every single example? You've been Black Mamba'd nigga

Thebesteva
06-10-2014, 09:15 PM
Mid does make valid points though.

So if someone held a gun to your head and asked you be honest, will Kobe go down as one of the greatest to play in the eyes of the average NBA fan, you would say no? I highly doubt it

Malik Hairston
06-10-2014, 09:20 PM
The problem with Kobe isn't that he got outplayed by Pierce, it's the fact that he refused to guard him, tbh:lol..

He refused to guard Mike Bibby when he killed the Lakers..he didn't guard Iverson..he didn't guard Billups..he didn't guard Nash..he has never taken the challenge of guarding opposing perimeter players, tbh(I'm naming PGs, because Kobe never really faced any other great wing players in the playoffs, other than Pierce, off the top of my head)..

unforeseen
06-10-2014, 10:11 PM
So if someone held a gun to your head and asked you be honest, will Kobe go down as one of the greatest to play in the eyes of the average NBA fan, you would say no? I highly doubt it

Kobe is a top 5 player to average NBA fans because ESPN shows scoring, not rebounding highlights.