PDA

View Full Version : Newsweek: How Bush deals with grieving families

whottt
08-15-2005, 02:23 PM
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8941525/site/newsweek/

'I'm So Sorry'
In emotional private meetings with the families of soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, President Bush offers solace¡ªand seeks some of his own.

Jason Reed / Reuters / Reuters
Texas standoff: Camped outside Bush¡¯s ranch, Cindy Sheehan and fellow protestors demand an audience

By Holly Bailey and Evan Thomas
Newsweek
Aug. 22, 2005 issue - The grieving room was arranged like a doctor's office. The families and loved ones of 33 soldiers killed in Iraq or Afghanistan were summoned to a large waiting area at Fort Bragg, N.C. For three hours, they were rotated through five private rooms, where they met with President George W. Bush, accompanied by two Secret Service men and a photographer. Because the walls were thin, the families awaiting their turn could hear the crying inside.

Story continues below ¡ý
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

President Bush was wearing "a huge smile," but his eyes were red and he looked drained by the time he got to the last widow, Crystal Owen, a third-grade schoolteacher who had lost her husband in Iraq. "Tell me about Mike," he said immediately. "I don't want my husband's death to be in vain," she told him. The president apologized repeatedly for her husband's death. When Owen began to cry, Bush grabbed her hands. "Don't worry, don't worry," he said, though his choking voice suggested that he had worries of his own. The president and the widow hugged. "It felt like he could have been my dad," Owen recalled to NEWSWEEK. "It was like we were old friends. It almost makes me sad. In a way, I wish he weren't the president, just so I could talk to him all the time."

Bush likes to play the resolute War Leader, and he has never been known for admitting mistakes or regret. But that does not mean that he is free of doubt. For the past three years, Bush has been living in two worlds¡ªunwavering and confident in public, but sometimes stricken in private. Bush's meetings with widows like Crystal Owen offer a rare look inside that inner, private world.

Last week, at his ranch in Texas, he took his usual line on Iraq, telling reporters that the United States would not pull out its troops until Iraq was able to defend itself. While he said he "sympathized" with Cindy Sheehan, the mother of a soldier killed in Iraq, he refused to visit her peace vigil, set up in a tent in a drainage ditch outside the ranch, and sent two of his aides to talk to her instead.

Privately, Bush has met with about 900 family members of some 270 soldiers killed in Iraq or Afghanistan. The conversations are closed to the press, and Bush does not like to talk about what goes on in these grieving sessions, though there have been hints. An hour after he met with the families at Fort Bragg in June, he gave a hard-line speech on national TV. When he mentioned the sacrifice of military families, his lips visibly quivered.

Page 2

All war presidents find ways to deal with the strain of sending soldiers off to die. During the Vietnam War, LBJ used to pray after midnight with Roman Catholic monks. Bush's father, George H.W. Bush, prayed with the presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church on the eve of the first gulf war. For George W. Bush, these private audiences with the families of dead soldiers and Marines seem to be an outlet of sorts. (They are perhaps harder for Laura, who sometimes accompanies Bush and looks devastated afterward.) Family members interviewed by NEWSWEEK say they have been taken aback by the president's emotionalism and his sincerity. More complicated is the question of whether Bush's suffering is essentially sympathetic, or whether he is agonizing over the war that he chose to start.

Story continues below ¡ý
advertisement

Bush routinely asks to see the families of the fallen when he visits military bases, which he does about 10 times a year. It does not appear that the White House or the military makes any effort to screen out dissenters or embittered families, though some families decline the invitation to meet with Bush. Most families encourage the president to stay the course in Iraq. "To oppose something my husband lost his life for would be a betrayal," says Inge Colton, whose husband, Shane, died in April 2004 when his Apache helicopter was shot down over Baghdad. Bush does, however, hear plenty of complaints. He has been asked about missing medals on the returned uniform of a loved one, about financial assistance for a child going to college and about how soldiers really died when the Pentagon claimed the details were classified.

At her meeting with the president at Fort Hood, Texas, last spring, Colton says she lit into Bush for "stingy" military benefits. Her complaints caught Bush "a little off guard," she recalls. "He tried to argue with me a little bit, but he promised he would have someone look into it." The next day she got a call from White House chief of staff Andrew Card, who said the White House would follow up. "My main goal was to have him look at my son, look him in the eyes and apologize," says Colton. "I wanted him to know, to really understand who he has hurt." She says Bush was "attentive, though not in a fake way," and sometimes at a loss for words. "He didn't try to overcompensate," she says.

The most telling¡ªand moving¡ªpicture of Bush grieving with the families of the dead was provided by Rachel Ascione, who met with him last summer. Her older brother, Ron Payne, was a Marine who had been killed in Afghanistan only a few weeks before Ascione was invited to meet with Bush at MacDill Air Force Base, near Tampa, Fla.

Ascione wasn't sure she could restrain herself with the president. She was feeling "raw." "I wanted him to look me in the eye and tell me why my brother was never coming back, and I wanted him to know it was his fault that my heart was broken," she recalls. The president was coming to Florida, a key swing state, in the middle of his re-election campaign. Ascione was worried that her family would be "exploited" by a "phony effort to make good with people in order to get votes."

CONTINUED

Page 3

Ascione and her family were gathered with 18 other families in a large room on the air base. The president entered with some Secret Service agents, a military entourage and a White House photographer. "I'm here for you, and I will take as much time as you need," Bush said. He began moving from family to family. Ascione watched as mothers confronted him: "How could you let this happen? Why is my son gone?" one asked. Ascione couldn't hear his answer, but soon "she began to sob, and he began crying, too. And then he just hugged her tight, and they cried together for what seemed like forever."

Story continues below ¡ý
advertisement

Ascione's family was one of the last Bush approached. Ascione still planned to confront him, but Bush disarmed her in an almost uncanny way. Ascione is just over five feet; her late brother was 6 feet 7. "My whole life, he used to put his hand on the top of my head and just hold it there, and it drove me crazy," she says. When Bush saw that she was crying, he leaned over and put his hand on the top of her head and drew her to him. "It was just like my brother used to do," she says, beginning to cry at the memory.

Before Bush left the meeting, he paused in the middle of the room and said to the families, "I will never feel the same level of pain and loss you do. I didn't lose anyone close to me, a member of my family or someone that I love. But I want you to know that I didn't go into this lightly. This was a decision that I struggle with every day."

As he spoke, Ascione could see the grief rising through the president's body. His shoulder slumped and his face turned ashen. He began to cry and his voice choked. He paused, tried to regain his composure and looked around the room. "I am sorry, I'm so sorry," he said.

With Richard Wolffe

whottt
08-15-2005, 05:16 PM
Bump...

Not a single reply to this article and I'm not surprised...it seems the left only cares about dead soldiers when they can be exploited to advance their political agenda.

gtownspur
08-15-2005, 05:19 PM
true. Where were they when Pat Tillman died??

Hook Dem
08-15-2005, 05:54 PM
Sheehan = left political machine at work!

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-15-2005, 06:16 PM
Actually, I think people might have thought this was a fake article since it was written by that noted conservative-bashing liberal, red commie reporter Evan Thomas.

Damn them for being fair reporters.

Spam
08-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Bump...

Not a single reply to this article and I'm not surprised...it seems the left only cares about dead soldiers when they can be exploited to advance their political agenda.

WTF did you expect? Lie after lie and then you expect everyone to believe this?

Of course Bush grieves! :rolleyes

Nbadan
08-16-2005, 02:09 AM
You would think that if W was really as sympathetic and attentive to the parents who have lost children in Iraq as this Newsweek propaganda piece makes him out to be he would have already met with Cindy Sheehan again and diffused this whole situation.

I think this article speaks more about Newsweek and their motivations than W.

whottt
08-16-2005, 02:51 AM
You would think that if W was really as sympathetic and attentive to the parents who have lost children in Iraq as this Newsweek propaganda piece makes him out to be he would have already met with Cindy Sheehan again and diffused this whole situation.

I think this article speaks more about Newsweek and their motivations than W.

Sure...I can see how that conversation would go...

Cindy: Mr. President, I want you to tell me the truth about why my son died!

W: Well Cindy, we went into Iraq to disarm a dictator who had violated the terms of his ceasefire agreement, who we believed had WMD and was therefore a threat to this country, and to liberate an oppressed people and establish Democracy in the middle east.

You know...the same things I have been talking about for the past 3 years.

Cindy: No Mr. President, I mean the truth.

W: And what truth would that be Cindy?

Cindy: That you went there for Oil and are a murderous chickenhawk who should be impeached.

W: Oh, that truth. And if I tell you these things will you shut the fuck up, stop, calling me a murderer, calling for my impeachment, politicizing the war and stop throwing a temper tantrum on my lawn? You'll then think your son died for a noble cause?

Cindy: Yes.

W: Get help.

Liberals are sad joke these days.

whottt
08-16-2005, 02:57 AM
So tell me Dan...exactly what has she done to deserve a second meeting over all those other families that haven't gotten one?

Called Bush a murderer? Toed the company line for Michael Moore?

Held her breath until she turned blue in the face on his lawn?

Who do you guys think you are kidding...and you think the Bush supporters are stupid. Geezus.

This publicity stunt isn't a sympathetic....and it's not impressing anyone that wasn't already impressed with the anti-american movement.

All this is, is some kind of anti-war fanatacism inbreeding....it's not changing anyones mind...in fact it's probably doing the opposite.

Should W stop fucking around with unimportant stuff like running the country and worrying about the responsibility of the 300 million in this country to free up one day a week for regular therapy sessions?

Bush already met her...and he's already spoke on this protest...she's free to hate him. That's what makes America great.

Nbadan
08-16-2005, 03:13 AM
So tell me Dan...exactly what has she done to deserve a second meeting over all those other families that haven't gotten one?

She gave up her son for W's war. I think that warrants as many meetings as she wants.

whottt
08-16-2005, 03:16 AM
No she didn't...she had nothing to do with his sacrifice. She was against his VOLUNTARY service and therefore gets to claim no credit for the heroic way he died on a mission he VOLUNTEERED to go on.

Or to use her words....she didn't give up anything...Bush murdered her son.

Nbadan
08-16-2005, 03:17 AM
This publicity stunt isn't a sympathetic....and it's not impressing anyone that wasn't already impressed with the anti-american movement.

All this is, is some kind of anti-war fanatacism inbreeding....it's not changing anyones mind...in fact it's probably doing the opposite.

Should W stop fucking around with unimportant stuff like running the country and worrying about the responsibility of the 300 million in this country to free up one day a week for regular therapy sessions?

Bush already met her...and he's already spoke on this protest...she's free to hate him. That's what makes America great

I think someone was right when they posted earlier that what we are witnessing here is a Rosa Parks type moment. This will go down in history as the event where the Iraq anti-war movement finally gained a voice in the Mainstream media. It's a big tide that has turned, not just symbollic either. I think we will see many more articles critical of U.S. policy in Iraq in the corporate press from here on out.

Nbadan
08-16-2005, 03:23 AM
No she didn't...she had nothing to do with his sacrifice. She was against his VOLUNTARY service and therefore gets to claim no credit for the heroic way he died on a mission he VOLUNTEERED to go on.

Or to use her words....she didn't give up anything...Bush murdered her son.

Look, you obviously couldn't care less about Ms. Sheehan's sacrafice. I hope you are never faced with these same demons. However, many of us are very greatful, not only to the troops who have made the ultimate sacrafice in this war, but also to the grieving families who are left to deal with the ramifications of their deaths long after the rest of us have moved on to the topic of the next news cycle.

whottt
08-16-2005, 03:29 AM
Come to think of it...using her logic...

Her son was a war criminal. An imperial soldier who was the arm of the evil empire...he did the actual carrying out of Bush's murderous imperial policies.

The fact that he re-enlisted after we were in Iraq proves he is a Nazi just like Bush.

Maybe she should go and spit on his grave...I imagine she spit on soldiers and called them baby killers back in the 60's...it was an anti-war thing you know....those soldiers being drafted and all had a choice whereas her son didn't.

Whatever sympathy I had for this woman pretty much evaporated the first time I heard she was blogging for Michael Moore.

You know who he is don't you? He's the guy that cared so much for a wounded US soldier that he lied and misrepresented that soldier in his propaganda film to advance his own anti-american agenda.

whottt
08-16-2005, 03:36 AM
Look, you obviously couldn't care less about Ms. Sheehan's sacrafice. I hope you are never faced with these same demons.

Never in a million years would I dishonor my sons death the way she is doing hers....Never in a million years would I use the death of my child in the name of a cause that was the opposite of what he died for.

However, many of us are very greatful, not only to the troops who have made the ultimate sacrafice in this war, but also to the grieving families who are left to deal with the ramifications of their deaths long after the rest of us have moved on to the topic of the next news cycle.

Please....you guys took a big shit on those guys in Vietnam...your last Presidential candidate did as well.

I am sure Hanoi Jane's bus will be making a tour stop in Crawford someday soon.

Nbadan
08-16-2005, 03:48 AM
"So, who are we honoring here?"

- Bush on arriving for a meeting with families of the bereaved, including Cindy Sheehan and her husband on June 17, 2004:

whottt
08-16-2005, 04:44 AM
It'd be much better if Bush broke down and weeped publicly when talking about the war and went into total meltdown like the left....

That'll rip the heart right out of the terrorists now won't it....because we all know how much they respect sensitivity .

smackdaddy11
08-16-2005, 07:46 AM
She gave up her son for W's war. I think that warrants as many meetings as she wants.

She didn't give up her son. Her son chose his own path. Unfortunately, he died doing the path he chose.

I can understand the grief these families feel. It would be the same if anyone of us lost a family member to anything but her double take and the propaganda machine in action now is sickening.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-16-2005, 08:16 AM
It never seizes to amaze me how after all that has happened, people can still think Bush is a smart man. LOL