Kori Ellis
08-15-2005, 02:37 PM
Portland - Derek Anderson
Orlando - Doug Christie
Philly - Aaron McKie
Indiana - Reggie Miller's contract
NY - Jerome Williams
NJ - Ron Mercer

List players that have been officially waived.

Kori Ellis
08-15-2005, 02:38 PM
Milwaukee - Calvin Booth
Toronto - Alonzo Mourning's contract

Trainwreck2100
08-15-2005, 02:39 PM
Milwaukee dropped calvin booth, the real casualty is whoever signs him

Marcus Bryant
08-15-2005, 02:43 PM
McKie or Christie would give the Spurs the 5th swingman they need at minimal cost.

Kori Ellis
08-15-2005, 02:43 PM
Lakers - Brian Grant
Chicago - Eddie Robinson's contract

2pac
08-15-2005, 02:45 PM
Christie is going to Dallas for 3mil

Old School Chic
08-15-2005, 02:48 PM
NY - Jerome Williams

I assume Malik will remain a Knick for a few more years...

1Parker1
08-15-2005, 02:49 PM
Reggie Millers Contract?

Marcus Bryant
08-15-2005, 02:50 PM
You could do worse than McKie.

Trainwreck2100
08-15-2005, 02:52 PM
Reggie Millers Contract?

Even though he's retired it still counts against their cap

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-15-2005, 02:53 PM
Even though he's retired it still counts against their cap

He still had a year remaining. $6M, IIRC.

Marcus Bryant
08-15-2005, 02:54 PM
How about McKie at the LLE for 2 years, re-up DBrown using his Early Bird rights and then use the remainder of the MLE to take away Evans from the Kings or Jones from the Pacers?

1Parker1
08-15-2005, 02:55 PM
He still had a year remaining. $6M, IIRC.

Oh, I hadn't realized that. So technically, if Reggie were to un-retire, he could sign with any team he wanted? :angel

...(I know he wouldn't)

timvp
08-15-2005, 02:57 PM
How about McKie at the LLE for 2 years, re-up DBrown using his Early Bird rights and then use the remainder of the MLE to take away Evans from the Kings or Jones from the Pacers?

:tu

I'd do it even though Brown and Evans are similar players. You can let them battle it out and then trade whoever loses out. McKie is only 32 years old so he probably has some gas in the tank.

Trainwreck2100
08-15-2005, 02:59 PM
Oh, I hadn't realized that. So technically, if Reggie were to un-retire, he could sign with any team he wanted? :angel

...(I know he wouldn't)

He won't, but imagine a team with horry/miller on the same playoff roster. :drunk

Kori Ellis
08-15-2005, 03:00 PM

I'd do it even though Brown and Evans are similar players. You can let them battle it out and then trade whoever loses out. McKie is only 32 years old so he probably has some gas in the tank.

I wouldn't re-sign Devin and sign Evans. They are way too similar. If you can get Evans at a reasonable price, then I'd say Devin is gone. I guess I wouldn't mind McKie but he'd be pretty much a non-factor.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-15-2005, 03:02 PM
Does this mean that the Spurs can pick up Reggie Miller's contract? It's the most clutch shooting contract in playoff history! The Spurs need to act now to get it!

Seriously though, I think McKie is worth a look. An aging vet, looking for a ring. He might be willing to sign for peanuts.

Bruno
08-15-2005, 03:05 PM
Suns - Howard Eisley's contract

picnroll
08-15-2005, 03:09 PM
Pacer - Miller's contract.
Raptors - Mourning's contract.

Marcus Bryant
08-15-2005, 03:11 PM

Well, it's not like Evans or Jones have established themselves in this league enough to automatically have a guaranteed active roster spot. I thought McKie had some knee trouble in recent seasons(?)

marcus
08-15-2005, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't re-sign Devin and sign Evans. They are way too similar. If you can get Evans at a reasonable price, then I'd say Devin is gone. I guess I wouldn't mind McKie but he'd be pretty much a non-factor.

I would rather try to re-sign Robinson than sign McKie.

Robinson can be a class A player for moments. His only problem had always been his defense but since he got to San Antonio he really improved in that aspect.

Glenn Robinson - 1st 1994
20.7 Points per Game - Career
Improving Defense

McKie - 17th 1994
7.6 points per game - Career
He used to be a good 3-point shooter in 2003-2004 and a good bench player, lol, and now he could be a 12th man in San Antonio or a 8th man in Philly, ha.

Marcus Bryant
08-15-2005, 03:23 PM
I'd prefer GRobinson too but that assumes he'll be available for what the Spurs have to offer and that the Spurs would want him back...

marcus
08-15-2005, 03:24 PM
I think he said already he would like to come back.
San Antonio is still exploring their options through.

Bruno
08-15-2005, 04:21 PM
Heat - Weslley Person's contract

Marcus Bryant
08-15-2005, 04:35 PM
I think he said already he would like to come back.
San Antonio is still exploring their options through.

Sure. DA wanted to come back too. And the Spurs wanted him back too.

Don't believe what players or GMs say.

Mark in Austin
08-15-2005, 05:23 PM
Is Evans really that much of an upgrade over Devin? Or are the Spurs so nervous about Devin's back that they're willing to sign a player at the same level or a little worse than he is?

Marcus Bryant
08-15-2005, 05:25 PM
I think Evans is simply a pawn in the Spurs' efforts to retain DBrown as cheaply as possible.

marcus
08-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Sure. DA wanted to come back too. And the Spurs wanted him back too.

Don't believe what players or GMs say.

Anyway, if he would have wanted to sign for more money or if some team would have offered more money he would have already signed.

I mean, he knows pretty well what San Antonio can offer.

Marcus Bryant
08-15-2005, 05:32 PM
Anyway, if he would have wanted to sign for more money or if some team would have offered more money he would have already signed.

I mean, he knows pretty well what San Antonio can offer.

...until another team shows up with more $.

Mark in Austin
08-15-2005, 05:32 PM
I think Evans is simply a pawn in the Spurs' efforts to retain DBrown as cheaply as possible.

Sounds like a possibility. I wonder if Utah will make an offer anytime soon and force the Spurs' hand.

Marcus Bryant
08-15-2005, 05:41 PM
If the Spurs wanted both DBrown and Evans then what would make sense is to sign Evans first and wait for another team to make an offer to DBrown, thinking that since the Spurs signed Evans that Brown is more expendable...

benjirh
08-15-2005, 05:46 PM
I wish this would have stayed a amnesty casualty thread.

ObiwanGinobili
08-15-2005, 05:58 PM
I wish this would have stayed a amnesty casualty thread.

:tu :smokin

50 cent
08-15-2005, 06:02 PM
No Finley yet?

I guess MFF (Michael Finley's Fag) Owner is still hoping and praying somebody will want him for an expiring contract.

Kori Ellis
08-15-2005, 06:02 PM
No Finley yet?

I guess MFF (Michael Finley's Fag) Owner is still hoping and praying somebody will want him for an expiring contract.

Supposedly they were still trying to trade him as of this morning. :lol

Trainwreck2100
08-15-2005, 06:05 PM
Right now he may be able to get Finley for a bag of funyons

Duff McCartney
08-15-2005, 06:05 PM
What a bunch of idiots. Nobody is gonna trade for Finley if they can just wait it out and get him for much cheaper. Dallas is screwed.

marcus
08-15-2005, 06:07 PM
No Finley yet?

If Finley signs with San Antonio he wouldn't have to move so far, he would still be in Texas and with a championship team.

timvp
08-15-2005, 06:08 PM
I have a feeling that when it comes down to it, Cuban is going to shock the world and hold onto Finley. He's not going to want to live through Steve Nash part two.

Duff McCartney
08-15-2005, 06:09 PM
I have a feeling that when it comes down to it, Cuban is going to shock the world and hold onto Finley. He's not going to want to live through Steve Nash part two.

I was thinking about that too...but that's just too much money even for Cuban.

marcus
08-15-2005, 06:09 PM

Well, there is a difference. Finley costs 6 more millons. He shouldn't but he does.

50 cent
08-15-2005, 07:21 PM

I kinda have that feeling too timvp and it's because it would be the dumbest possible decision for Cuban. It makes way too much since to get rid of him and it seems as though his pride might get in the way resulting in him keeping Finley. But not even Cuban is that stupid is he???

kolko
08-15-2005, 07:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2134771

Trainwreck2100
08-15-2005, 07:24 PM
This is like a reverse NBA draft.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-15-2005, 07:24 PM
Stein says Hoiberg, Vin Baker, Derrick Coleman and Troy Bell have been cut.

Fred Hoiberg - Wolves
Vin Baker - Celtics
Eddie Robinson - Bulls
Troy Bell - Grizz
Derrick Coleman - Pistons

timvp
08-15-2005, 07:33 PM
The Wolves showing their class by waiving a player that just had to have a pacemaker put in to stop him from dying.

No wonder that franchise won't ever amount to anything.

Trainwreck2100
08-15-2005, 07:39 PM
The Wolves showing their class by waiving a player that just had to have a pacemaker put in to stop him from dying.

They could be cannon fodder in the playoffs

TheWriter
08-15-2005, 07:40 PM
The dude's probably never playing again, he still gets his money, what's the big deal? Have him on the roster but not have him?

totalspurshomer
08-15-2005, 07:43 PM
Vin Baker - Celtics

This one's interesting because it's actually gotta be some remnant of Baker's contract. What makes it interesting is that Baker himself may also be waived by Houston later today.

If you get amnesty waived by two clubs on the same day, does that pretty much mean your career is over? :lol

Manu20
08-15-2005, 07:45 PM
Amnesty rule victims, team savings

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3893492

The amount of luxury tax savings realized by NBA teams who opted to waive players under the one-time amnesty rule:

Los Angeles Lakers: $29.7 million (Brian Grant)

New York Knicks: $23.1 million (Jerome Williams)

Philadelphia 76ers: $19.5 million (Aaron McKie)

Portland Trail Blazers: $18.8 million (Derek Anderson)

Milwaukee Bucks: $13.2 million (Calvin Booth)

Phoenix Suns: $8.4 million (Howard Eisley)

Orlando Magic: $8.2 million (Doug Christie)

Toronto Raptors: $8.1 million (Alonzo Mourning)

Indiana Pacers: $6 million (Reggie Miller)

Chicago Bulls: $5.4 million (Eddie Robinson)

Boston Celtics: $5.2 million (Vin Baker)

Detroit Pistons: $2 million (Derrick Coleman)

New Jersey Nets: $1.8 million (Ron Mercer)

Minnesota Timberwolves: $1.8 million (Fred Hoiberg)

Miami Heat: $1.8 million (Wesley Person)

Memphis Grizzlies: $1.5 million (Troy Bell)

marcus
08-15-2005, 08:00 PM
Hmm, i observed Dallas contracts and not releasing Finley might not sound bad. The have Abdul-Wahad at 15 millons for 2 years. At least Finley play.

2pac
08-15-2005, 08:03 PM
tariq abdur-wahad's contract is only partially guarenteed. Some of it will come off the lux tax naturally if they just cut him.

CubanMustGo
08-15-2005, 08:20 PM
Ya know, Cuban has billion$ of dollar$ in his back pocket. He wouldn't even notice the luxury tax if he had to pay it.

sickdsm
08-15-2005, 08:52 PM

Classy LJ. What next? Redicule the Pacers for waiving Miller? The poor guy more than likely retired bc his recovery isn't going well.

Put some thought into your comments.

sickdsm
08-15-2005, 08:53 PM
He also more than likely came to the wolves brass and TOLD them to waive him, knowing that the deadline was tonight and figured it would help to make a decision NOW.

Kori Ellis
08-15-2005, 08:53 PM
Reggie Miller is retired. Hoiberg isn't retired and has been told that he can play again.

Has something changed about that?

Solid D
08-15-2005, 08:55 PM
Miller retired for a reason. The Pacers just wanted to take advantage of Tax Free Weekend...so to speak.

timvp
08-15-2005, 09:06 PM
Classy LJ. What next? Redicule the Pacers for waiving Miller? The poor guy more than likely retired bc his recovery isn't going well.

Put some thought into your comments.

:lol

Stop being such a homer. He's said all summer that he plans on coming back. And he hasn't even ruled out coming back this season.

The Wolves are just being cheap and throwing a guy under the bus who has given his best seasons to the team. Sure he has a long road to recovery, but that's no reason for the Wolves to waive him to save a couple million. It was a cheap move against a very classy player.

Look at what the Spurs have done. The Spurs could have waived Sean Elliott after his kidney transplant because there was a clause in the contract giving the Spurs that out -- but the Spurs didn't. Elliott and the Spurs handled it with class.

What next? Are the Wolves going to make a contract deal under the table?

timvp
08-15-2005, 09:07 PM
He also more than likely came to the wolves brass and TOLD them to waive him, knowing that the deadline was tonight and figured it would help to make a decision NOW.

:lol X 2

Yeah, you better hope you are psychic. Unless that is exactly what happened, you are homering out to a trash franchise.

Duff McCartney
08-15-2005, 09:47 PM
The Rockets just waived Weatherspoon.

ChumpDumper
08-15-2005, 09:49 PM
Odd -- is Minnesota even in danger of going over the tax threshold this coming season? Doesn't seem possible unless they are going to try and pull some big sign and trade with their free agents like Spree and Johnson.

sickdsm
08-15-2005, 10:06 PM
Funny how Sam cassell when he was only two years older was being said he'd never recover fully but somehow you expect Hoiberg, who can't even be getting into mildy good physcial shape to play this year? He'll be lucky to help out the second half of next year. Depending on how his outlook is, he can sign with the wolves after this season. This isn't a "play with the pain" or splice it up type of injury. Frddy has said his family are more important to him than basketball

Dude's blanking out after a couple of stairs and YOU expect him to be draining threes in a couple months?

He'll probably remain around evem if he never plays again as some sort of coach or management figure. Which you must think is very unlikely, bc of him getting shortchanged and all. The face of the franchise at the draft, fan faverite, and future coach isn't worth a million or so, even to Sterling.

Solid D
08-15-2005, 10:30 PM
I just hope The Mayor can have a good, long life...whether he plays ball again or not. Fred was one of the best athletes to ever come out of Iowa. Bob Feller and Dan Gable are probably the most heralded, but Hoiberg was a high school star in both football and basketball.

sickdsm
08-16-2005, 07:32 AM
Fred Hoiberg, who underwent an aortic root operation in June, and Glen Taylor, who survived bypass surgery six years ago, had a heart-to-heart conversation last week.
Timberwolves owner Taylor did most of the talking as he informed Hoiberg he was going to be released by the NBA club.
Ostensibly, the move came under the NBA's "amnesty clause," part of the league's new collective bargaining agreement. The clause allows a team to waive a player, pay him his salary, but rid itself of salary cap and luxury tax issues.
But Taylor said Monday, "This was not a basketball decision. It was one of those things that I didn't ask the coach [Dwane Casey] or Mac [president Kevin McHale]. I decided."
Taylor decided that Hoiberg, 32, who has suffered some setbacks and complications since his surgery and the insertion of a pacemaker, shouldn't be rushed back for next season.

Fred Hoiberg
Jim Gehrz
Star Tribune
Hoiberg wasn't available for comment Monday.
He will be paid $1.76 million next season for not playing. Even though he's been cut, the team can re-sign him for the 2006-07 season, if he's fully recovered from his surgery.
That was Taylor's point to the 6-5 Hoiberg.
" 'Fred, I'm really concerned about your health and you coming back this year,' " Taylor recalled telling Hoiberg in their phone conversation. "I think there's going to be a tendency among the media and fans to say, 'Whoa, we can't wait 'til Fred comes back. Maybe we'll have him for the playoffs.' People are going to be setting a timeline for you. There should be no timeline other than your own health."
Taylor said Hoiberg didn't argue. He said Hoiberg wasn't "100 percent happy" because he worried that he wouldn't be part of the team. But Taylor told him he could coach, if he wanted, as he recovered.
Taylor related his own experience. In 1999, doctors ordered him to refrain from going into his office until he was fully recovered from his heart bypass surgery.
"I came to work right away," Taylor said. "That's the problem with those competitive guys."
Most of Monday's releases were salary-cap skirts and luxury-tax dodges.
For the coming season, any team with a payroll higher than $61.7 million will be taxed by the league dollar for dollar; if a team has a $66.7 million payroll, it will owe $5 million to league coffers.
The Wolves' payroll last season was about $71 million. But without Latrell Sprewell ($14.6 million) and Ervin Johnson ($5 million) on the payroll next season, they might be under the tax threshold.
Still, by releasing Hoiberg, the team is playing it safe as it pertains to the tax. By focusing on his recovery, Hoiberg is playing it safe, too.

I don't have one single problem with this move at all.

boutons
08-16-2005, 07:37 AM
"Amnesty rule victims, team savings "

Where's Finley?