PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Aaron McKie

Marcus Bryant
08-15-2005, 03:04 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_aaron_mckie.jpghttp://www.galaxie-sport.hostinx.com/files/clanky/2003/basketbal/NBA%20LOGO.jpg

Aaron McKie | 8
Position: G
Born: Oct 2, 1972
Height: 6-5 / 1,96
Weight: 209 lbs. / 94,8 kg.
College : Temple '94

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/aaron_mckie/index.html)

An amnesty casualty. The Spurs had some interest in signing him back in 2001, if my aging memory serves me correctly. Would be a nice fit as the 5th swingman, someone who can fill a role, D up, knock down some outside jumpers and generally play smart team ball. Spurs could offer him the LLE for 2 seasons, sign Evans or JJones using a portion or all of the remainder of the MLE or re-up DBrown using his Early Bird rights to fill out the swingman rotation.

marcus
08-15-2005, 03:18 PM
I say he should only be an option if he comes for minimum for one year. There is no way he can do as much as Robinson and if there is some better player than McKie to whome we should give the LLE or the MLE that player is Robinson.

The Spurs might had been interested in him in 2001 because there was no chance of getting Glenn.

Marcus Bryant
08-15-2005, 03:32 PM
That assumes that he won't cost more than the Spurs have in cap room and that the Spurs want him back.

Robinson can still put up points on the board which may lead to a large offer from someone once the market thins out and teams still have cap room left. McKie is the type of guy who might be available for what the Spurs have left. Also, he fits the profile of a Spurs swingman role player moreso than GRobinson.

TheTruth
08-15-2005, 09:02 PM
Mckie is going to sign with the Nets

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2005, 09:01 AM
Source?

Solid D
08-16-2005, 09:16 AM
Well, he wouldn't have to move if he signs with the Nets. Philadelphia to East Rutherford would be like travelling from Austin to San Antonio.

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2005, 09:24 AM
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of McKie as a Spur. He definitely fits the profile of a Spur perimeter role player quite well. He will defend, he has good range on his jumper, he hustles, plays smart and he has plenty of playoff experience. He'd be a consumate veteran small-money role player signing by the Spurs.

Yes, Finley is preferable, but if the Spurs end up with McKie then that would still be a fairly significant acquisition. Also, McKie wouldn't come with any potential drama about minutes in the rotation as Finley could.

The Spurs have enough of the MLE left that they can make a significant offer to him, in addition to a great shot at a ring if that matters to him, which I suspect it does.

Do it, Pop.

AI-square
08-16-2005, 07:13 PM
I'd rather see McKie as a Spur than a Net, any time. At his age I'd be surprised if he wasn't thinking about a ring.

Kori Ellis
08-18-2005, 11:43 AM
McKie to Chief Triangle?
Aug 18 - According to the Los Angeles Times, the Lakers have opened negotiations to bring in Aaron McKie as their new starting point guard. The Lakers had been focused on Derek Anderson, but it is believed the change in direction has been prompted by Phil Jackson, who likes big guards running his offense.

McKie, who was waived by the 76ers, was reportedly close to signing with New Jersey. "It's fair to say the Nets are the front-runners," said Leon Rose, McKie's agent, in the New York Post. However, the Nets can only offer the veterans minimum, $1.1 million, while the Lakers can offer a chunk of their $5 million midlevel exception.

Marcus Bryant
08-18-2005, 11:58 AM
So much for that idea.

T Park
08-18-2005, 12:20 PM
Mckie a starting point guard???? Interesting....

Marcus Bryant
08-18-2005, 12:22 PM
Think Ron Harper/Pete Myers. Still somewhat of a stretch. As a 5th swing he would've been great, but a starter? Don't see it.

timvp
08-18-2005, 02:47 PM
McKie as the starting point? I don't think he's a good enough ballhandler.

Oh well, wouldv've been a solid bench player for the Spurs.

Solid D
08-18-2005, 02:53 PM
PG?

Feeding the ego to get him there. The old Phillip Bait-and-Switch.

timvp
08-18-2005, 03:42 PM
PG?

Feeding the ego to get him there. The old Phillip Bait-and-Switch.

Sounds like it. When he was with AI, rarely did you see McKie bring the ball up the court. He did average a nice amount of assists for a couple seasons, but those usually came in a half court setting.