PDA

View Full Version : I Love What Pop Told Tony...

-21-
06-10-2014, 11:57 PM
When he was subbed out. I don't remember it word for word but it was something like "You didn't score 30 but that was great leadership out there."

ducks
06-10-2014, 11:58 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235061&p=7410346#post7410346

barakz21
06-11-2014, 07:09 AM
Do you have a link or GIF of pop punching Kawhi?

rmt
06-11-2014, 07:16 AM
why does pop build up some players and rip down some? he praises tony and calls tiago blue-collar like he's some scrub he did it to green too with the comment that if he doesnt play defense he does belong on the court - green set an Nba record - thats not a fluke - yet he trots belli and bonner out there.

Jimcs50
06-11-2014, 07:21 AM
Great coaching

lmbebo
06-11-2014, 07:22 AM
why does pop build up some players and rip down some? he praises tony and calls tiago blue-collar like he's some scrub he did it to green too with the comment that if he doesnt play defense he does belong on the court - green set an Nba record - thats not a fluke - yet he trots belli and bonner out there.

Thats coaching -- every player is a different personality, different things motivate or build players. Not a one-size fits all approach.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-11-2014, 07:25 AM
I didn't see that but I definitely saw that in Tony. He played with a purpose and knowing that HE IS NOT going to MVP of this series. This was the first time since the OKC series that Tony has realized he just needs to take the backseat in this series. When a Team is doubling you and constantly rotating towards you even when you don't have the BBall, just know that you are going to be decoy for most of the night and other players are going to shine.

Tony showed true leadership in doing what it take to Win rather than trying to appease his own ego. Great to see Pop commending him for this as well. Great Coach.

will_spurs
06-11-2014, 07:29 AM

These comments were made a billion years ago, by the speed at which the NBA moves. I don't think Pop still considers Splitter as blue-collar after giving him a $10m/y contract, or that Green isn't considered a major defensive element on this Spurs squad. Pop used to be very tough on Parker when he was young, a lot tougher than he was on Splitter or Green, actually.

_jin
06-11-2014, 09:30 AM
people seem to forget the 10 years or so during which Tony was Pop punching bag