PDA

View Full Version : I love that Van Gundy sees how the Refs are calling bad calls

Gervin44Silas13
06-11-2014, 07:27 AM
It looks like Van Gundy wants to knock the shit out of Mark Jackson... I wonder if he tells him to fuck off....off the air?

will_spurs
06-11-2014, 07:33 AM
I thought Jackson was going to lose it when they were discussing an offensive foul because Kawhi (?) elbowed a Miami player in the chin on a swipe. Jackson was telling JVG "Are you seriously saying this isn't an offensive foul?" and JVG replied "Were you raised in the city or in the suburbs? They wouldn't even call that a foul in kindergarten".

thispego
06-11-2014, 07:34 AM
It was green on chalmers and yes, van gundy scoffed the SHIT out of mark jackson on that one :lol

SupremeGuy
06-11-2014, 07:38 AM
I thought Jackson was going to lose it when they were discussing an offensive foul because Kawhi (?) elbowed a Miami player in the chin on a swipe. Jackson was telling JVG "Are you seriously saying this isn't an offensive foul?" and JVG replied "Were you raised in the city or in the suburbs? They wouldn't even call that a foul in kindergarten".It was Green on Chalmers and it was fucking hilarious. JVG is a pretty funny dude, tbh.

Jimcs50
06-11-2014, 07:39 AM
That was Danny with the elbow brushing Chalmers chin. If the defender does not give you room to rotate, then it should not be a foul, I agree with JVG

Jimcs50
06-11-2014, 07:40 AM
oops, someone already corrected you.

:lol

TampaDude
06-11-2014, 07:41 AM
It was Green on Chalmers and it was fucking hilarious. JVG is a pretty funny dude, tbh.

JVG is the man. Anyone got that clip?

spursparker9
JVG also has been calling out on the Jump ball situation. The resetting of the clock back to 5 secs if the jump-ball occurred less than 5 secs.

spursparker9
:lol Take That! Mark Jackson

exstatic
06-11-2014, 07:42 AM
JVG is a contrarian. If MJ had called that NOT a foul, JVG would have argued that it was.

will_spurs
06-11-2014, 07:43 AM
It was green on chalmers and yes, van gundy scoffed the SHIT out of mark jackson on that one :lol

Indeed it was (see gif below, courtesy of heyheymymy (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=30197)). And JVG was really going ballistic on that one. Needless to say if Durant or Westbrook do the same, it's a shooting foul and 3 free throws.

http://giant.gfycat.com/DelightfulWelldocumentedAtlanticspadefish.gif

JVG is a contrarian. If MJ had called that NOT a foul, JVG would have argued that it was.

It was not so much the fact that they disagreed, but the way JVG worded it. You could hear there's no lost love between them.

SupremeGuy
06-11-2014, 07:45 AM
JVG is the man. Anyone got that clip?The audio or a clip of Green "fouling" Chalmers?

Gervin44Silas13
06-11-2014, 07:47 AM
Chalmers should have been called on the reach in he was clearly up in Danny ass!

TampaDude
06-11-2014, 07:48 AM
The audio or a clip of Green "fouling" Chalmers?

The audio.

SupremeGuy
06-11-2014, 07:50 AM
The audio.Now that we're talking about it, I'm sure some internet sleuth will find it for us. lol

lmbebo
06-11-2014, 07:51 AM
I can't even see contact... Not with the force that would cause chalmers to fall back like that.

Chalmers = current day Derek Fisher.... Horrible and consistent flopper

Biernutz
06-11-2014, 08:14 AM
Chalmers hit Danny on the arm (contact foul) then he flopped when Danny swung the ball around.....

barbacoataco
06-11-2014, 08:23 AM
Van Gundy does seem to be willing to call it like it is.

will_spurs
06-11-2014, 08:26 AM
The audio.

I just uploaded the whole sequence, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhl5Uk66NbU

Old School 44
06-11-2014, 08:26 AM
Flop for sure. Danny grazed him and Chalmers did the "I just got hit by a truck" move!

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-11-2014, 08:31 AM
I love that line, "I would love for you to call that foul at the park." You call that foul, everyone would be calling or thinking you are pussy.

Captivus
06-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Chalmers hit Danny on the arm (contact foul) then he flopped when Danny swung the ball around.....

100%duncan
06-11-2014, 08:37 AM
Dude drops truth bombs all game not like Breen who has shitty takes and Mark Jackson who uses his same old cliches everytime someone shoots the ball.

will_spurs
06-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Dude drops truth bombs all game not like Breen who has shitty takes and Mark Jackson who uses his same old cliches everytime someone shoots the ball.

I'd like for somebody to punch him every time he says "HANDS DOWN MAN DOWN".

Jenks
06-11-2014, 08:44 AM
I can't even see contact... Not with the force that would cause chalmers to fall back like that.

Chalmers = current day Derek Fisher.... Horrible and consistent flopper
He flopped but he got hit. The angle that people keep posting makes it looks like a phantom flop, which it wasn't. There were far worse calls last night than a guy taking an elbow to the chin and getting a call. And yeah, I agree that Chalmers didn't give him space to move. I'm just saying it's not a TERRIBLE call (like Wade in game 2).

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-a5XiD0wXQyg/U5fKRe9keUI/AAAAAAAAjxc/c6SVJSunR0w/s1600/chalm.gif

Biernutz
06-11-2014, 08:54 AM
$5000 to get a star out of a game for a flop is nothing...you hear more talk in these playoffs about stiffer penalty's for repeat floppers.

lmbebo
06-11-2014, 08:55 AM
He flopped but he got hit. The angle that people keep posting makes it looks like a phantom flop, which it wasn't. There were far worse calls last night than a guy taking an elbow to the chin and getting a call. And yeah, I agree that Chalmers didn't give him space to move. I'm just saying it's not a TERRIBLE call (like Wade in game 2).

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-a5XiD0wXQyg/U5fKRe9keUI/AAAAAAAAjxc/c6SVJSunR0w/s1600/chalm.gif

Its real contact, but he clearly didn't give any space to Green at all...

hitmantb
06-11-2014, 08:59 AM
Actually a tightly officiated game with BS calls on both ends favor the Spurs immensely. We have the finesse game and it is not possible to play Spurs basketball if the refs allow Heat to play NFL defense. Heat's power game is more likely to generate fouls in a "let them play" environment JVG is fond of.

Tight or loose whistles is critical in a battle of precision vs brute force. Both teams have good actors, tight calls is much much better for GDP.

boutons_deux
06-11-2014, 09:01 AM
"Were you raised in the city or in the suburbs? They wouldn't even call that a foul in kindergarten"

I was wow'ed by that. couldn't believe it. Jackson is one stupid, inarticulate fuckoff.

Chomag
06-11-2014, 09:06 AM
You have to give the player some space that was a clear foul on Chalmers. Ref should have just let him fall on his ass with a no call.

tholdren
06-11-2014, 09:07 AM
I just uploaded the whole sequence, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhl5Uk66NbU

This is how dumb of a person mark jackson is: PAUSE AT 26 seconds. Then listen to him talk about how "CLEARLY" that was a backcourt violation. Get ahold of your own kind lebron, they are running havoc on the NBA... Wade, Jackson, SAS.... that fat rapper kahled?

Sterling is the glue holding this together....

Chomag
06-11-2014, 09:09 AM
Mark Jackson is still just salty from the Spurs wooping up on him last season.

MultiTroll
06-11-2014, 09:26 AM
This.
I'll try to dig up the exact audio, in Game 2 Parker barely brushed up against Chalmers who then launched a desperation trey as the shot clock expired. Foul called.
Van Pussy and Jackson both saying oh yes that was a foul.

Only a minute or two later LeBron bumps 5Xs harder and Van Gundy says "I like how the refs are letting em play physical".

cd021
06-11-2014, 09:31 AM
He's improved a ton as a commentator. He would take a minute to make a point. Gives a interesting perspective as a coach. Especially in crunch time. Calls out BS calls and rules with regularity. Breen sounds uncomfortable.

heyheymymy
06-11-2014, 09:38 AM
enough of this rolling your eyes back in your head and whipping your head back bullshit. fall if you're gonna fall, but im so sick of this sniper headshot bullshit the heat pull.

start suspending players for this bullshit.

MI21
06-11-2014, 10:41 AM
Definitely not a foul, Green was making a natural offensive basketball move which he is entitled to do.

If he was making a strange non-basketball type move (like Kobe a few years back when he decided to elbow white players while shooting jumpshots) then it becomes offensive foul.

Shitty call by the referees.

Budkin
06-11-2014, 10:48 AM
I never heard a single word of the broadcast and it was beautiful. As soon as Mark Jackson came back to ESPN I knew the mute button would be my best friend.

SouthernFried
06-11-2014, 10:58 AM
Terry Cummings once said..."If you don't want an elbow to the chin, keep your chin out of my face."

He said that to me, in a pickup game.

philldafunk
06-11-2014, 11:03 AM
I don't think Van Gundy likes his job, he keeps it up he better hope someone picks him up to coach because he won't be doing commentary....

phxspurfan
06-11-2014, 11:27 AM
Terry Cummings once said..."If you don't want an elbow to the chin, keep your chin out of my face."

An I Played BBall With Terry Cummings reference!! Haven't heard one of those since I was ballin at Hobby in 2001.

tholdren
06-11-2014, 11:39 AM

Link

tmtcsc
06-11-2014, 11:43 AM
JVG put Jackson squarely in his place. That was beautiful. Jackson was more annoying than usual last night.

Skull-1
06-11-2014, 11:45 AM
It looks like Van Gundy wants to knock the shit out of Mark Jackson... I wonder if he tells him to fuck off....off the air?

"Were you born in the city or the suburbs?!!" Lol that was classic.

Skull-1
06-11-2014, 11:46 AM
I thought Jackson was going to lose it when they were discussing an offensive foul because Kawhi (?) elbowed a Miami player in the chin on a swipe. Jackson was telling JVG "Are you seriously saying this isn't an offensive foul?" and JVG replied "Were you raised in the city or in the suburbs? They wouldn't even call that a foul in kindergarten".

That had me rolling! JVG had him on his heels. (The Green elbow "foul".)

Gervin44Silas13
06-11-2014, 11:50 AM
"Were you born in the city or the suburbs?!!" Lol that was classic.

I think JVG was secretly telling him are you getto or are you an uncle tom?

Skull-1
06-11-2014, 11:53 AM
I'd like for somebody to punch him every time he says "HANDS DOWN MAN DOWN".

I agree. I also have no idea wtf he means when he says it.

Skull-1
06-11-2014, 11:54 AM
I think JVG was secretly telling him are you getto or are you an uncle tom?

I think he was calling him a poseur and a sissy.

will_spurs
06-11-2014, 11:56 AM
I agree. I also have no idea wtf he means when he says it.

I think he means that a defender with his hands down is useless, and is leaving his man wide open.

-21-
06-11-2014, 11:57 AM
I like JVG. Even if I don't always agree with his opinions, he always has interesting takes and is very entertaining.

Mark in Austin
06-11-2014, 11:59 AM
contrarian or not, JVG is my favorite color guy right now. pure gold, jerry.

tmtcsc
06-11-2014, 01:57 PM
contrarian or not, JVG is my favorite color guy right now.

He's actually white if I'm not mistaken.

Skull-1
06-11-2014, 02:01 PM
contrarian or not, JVG is my favorite color guy right now. pure gold, jerry.

He's actually white if I'm not mistaken.

And his name is Jeff. Lol

TJastal
06-11-2014, 02:03 PM
That was Danny with the elbow brushing Chalmers chin. If the defender does not give you room to rotate, then it should not be a foul, I agree with JVG

+1

That was one oof the most stupidest bullshit calls of the playoffs so far. JVG rightly called it out. To bad he won't have a job next year.

SouthernFried
06-11-2014, 09:51 PM
An I Played BBall With Terry Cummings reference!! Haven't heard one of those since I was ballin at Hobby in 2001.

lol...no big deal. If you were a member of the Concord Athletic Club in the 90's, you played ball with Cummings. Gervin too. They were out there almost every night, and they would play with anyone and everyone. All the Spurs and former Spurs had memberships to the Concord back then, before their own facility was made, so you'd see most of the Spurs at one point or another. Occasionally they would play a pickup game with us. Cummings and Gervin would play all the time tho. A very cool time :)

And yes, Cummings did actually say that to me. When I was trying to steal the ball from him down low...and he had his elbow 1" from my face...lol

spurraider21
06-11-2014, 10:03 PM
all his quirks and all, of all active commentators I think Jeff Van Gundy is the one I like the most (was also a fan of Steve Kerr)... and my least favorite is Mark Jackson, even worse than Webber or Reggie Miller. and they had to stick Jackson with Van Gundy... assholes :lol

ffadicted
06-11-2014, 11:07 PM
I've always liked JVG... Mark Jackson is a huge tool, was depressed when I found out he was coming back to ABC/ESPN for the finals

sexinthatsx
06-11-2014, 11:44 PM
JVG is one of my favorite, if not, my favorite national television commentator. All posters that are saying JVG is a contrarian is wrong, that would be someone along the lines of Stephen A. Smith. JVG just calls it like he sees it, and it's really refreshing that JVG gives insight to commentary from a coach's perspective. If anything, it shows that Mark Jackson was such a bad coach and didn't know squat.

Oh and the reason Mark Jackson kept crying that it was an offensive foul was probably because of the reffing and coaching he had to do in sunday school, that softy.

Aztecfan03
06-12-2014, 12:06 AM
all his quirks and all, of all active commentators I think Jeff Van Gundy is the one I like the most (was also a fan of Steve Kerr)... and my least favorite is Mark Jackson, even worse than Webber or Reggie Miller. and they had to stick Jackson with Van Gundy... assholes :lol

You racist! :p:

KaiRMD1
06-12-2014, 12:56 AM
JVG is the best thing out of those three guys commentating the finals.

Prose
06-12-2014, 01:08 AM
I love jvg for his honesty. He is a straight shooter, secondly love hearing breen yell "from way down town...BANG,". Finaly I fucking HATE Marc Jackson. He is bias against the spurs IMO. And I hated when we palmed GS last year and espn was on his dick showing him during every coaches huddle like he was better than pop..there are some coaches who are extra available and friendly towards the media so to make the members of the media think hard about writing negatively about the coach when he is struggling. He is one of them.

phxspurfan
06-12-2014, 01:43 AM
lol...no big deal. If you were a member of the Concord Athletic Club in the 90's, you played ball with Cummings. Gervin too. They were out there almost every night, and they would play with anyone and everyone. All the Spurs and former Spurs had memberships to the Concord back then, before their own facility was made, so you'd see most of the Spurs at one point or another. Occasionally they would play a pickup game with us. Cummings and Gervin would play all the time tho. A very cool time :)

And yes, Cummings did actually say that to me. When I was trying to steal the ball from him down low...and he had his elbow 1" from my face...lol

Yeah I just remember a friend talking about it a lot. And then there was that rumor that Antonio Daniels played ball at Homecourt America and got in fights with people

jARS mEsH sEt
06-12-2014, 01:47 AM
Yeah I like JVG and Breen. Mark Jackson just instinctively calls everything against the Spurs, like that back court violation that was "obvious" to him before the replay. The Heat can do no wrong, apparently, but the Spurs get away with "obvious" back court violations.

Mark Jackson even complains about fouls in favor of the Heat all the time. Whenever it's a ticky tack foul in favor of Miami, he'll defend it to the death as he did in that video posted above. Whenever it's a ticky tack foul in favor of San Antonio, he'll say something like "well there wasn't a lot of contact there..."

SouthernFried
06-12-2014, 02:46 AM
If anything, it shows that Mark Jackson was such a bad coach and didn't know squat.

I was thinking along the same lines. If Mark Jackson's commentary reflects his coaching ability, yeah...that would explain some things.

I like JVG the best of the commentators doing these finals as well. But, I like muting them more :)

txstr1986
06-12-2014, 12:43 PM
Pop and Van Gundy #truedetectiveseason2