PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi Leonard - cornerstone or nice building block

cantthinkofanything
06-11-2014, 12:56 PM
He's already one of the best defenders in the league. From what I've seen, he could be come a top scorer in the league as well. After last season, I thought that he was going to be a great piece of the Spurs future but they were still going to have to find a #1 player to go along with him, Splitter, Green, etc. After this season and the playoffs, I'm convinced he can become the Spurs first option for the future. Gonna have to pay that nigga though.

What's your thoughts?

m>s
06-11-2014, 01:17 PM
He will probably make an Allstar game or 2 when his career is said and done, nice building block not a cornerstone

cantthinkofanything
06-11-2014, 01:30 PM
He will probably make an Allstar game or 2 when his career is said and done, nice building block not a cornerstone

I guess I'm biased but I can't see why he couldn't improve to that position. He's got more scoring ability than I thought and seems to understand how to finish. What do you think keeps him from making the jump?

Infinite_limit
06-11-2014, 01:39 PM
My SDSU buddy has stated how far he's already come as a shooter. So I'm not sure how much more he can improve. He doesn't have the killer instinct to be a Franchise guy but if his shot improves as he attempts more, he could be a #2 guy. But I doubt for a Title team.

cantthinkofanything
06-11-2014, 01:59 PM
My SDSU buddy has stated how far he's already come as a shooter. So I'm not sure how much more he can improve. He doesn't have the killer instinct to be a Franchise guy but if his shot improves as he attempts more, he could be a #2 guy. But I doubt for a Title team.

I guess it's up to him how much his shooting improves. Don't know what the limit it but he's got good form and also seems to be able to get his shot of from different angles. Hopefully, as he takes on more responsibility, that killer instinct grows.

CubanSucks
06-11-2014, 05:28 PM
Why isn't this in the spurs forum? Are you so lame that this is your new thing?

Franklin
06-11-2014, 05:31 PM
Agree, dude has the physique and mindset but he doesn't seem to have the killer instinct a Franchise guy is usually supposed to have. Maybe a slightly upgraded version of prime Josh Howard. Killer instinct, as we call it instinct, isn't something that you can gain through learning and training imho.

InRareForm
06-11-2014, 05:33 PM
No killer instinct? Did you guys watch game 3? It may not be visually in his style, but his production said otherwise

Franklin
06-11-2014, 05:33 PM
Why isn't this in the spurs forum? Are you so lame that this is your new thing?
He got banned from upstairs I think, and he surely doesn't wanna get banned here so he definitely can't post anything that appeals to you (like pics of dead young bitches, kids' genitals etc...) imho.

Franklin
06-11-2014, 05:37 PM
game 3 was pretty much a fluke imho dude & green literally hit every shot from the floor in the first half, but you can't expect such shits to happen every night. Kawhi just went 11' JJB mode and laid a gigantic wet one on the great Satan last night, but it remains unknown if he can continue to play this good next game when the cHeat start to make adjustments against him.

InRareForm
06-11-2014, 05:42 PM
game 3 was pretty much a fluke imho dude & green literally hit every shot from the floor in the first half, but you can't expect such shits to happen every night. Kawhi just went 11' JJB mode and laid a gigantic wet one on the great Satan last night, but it remains unknown if he can continue to play this good next game when the cHeat start to make adjustments against him.

when you perform at such a high level in two different finals, it ain't a fluke tbh...

cantthinkofanything
06-11-2014, 06:30 PM
Agree, dude has the physique and mindset but he doesn't seem to have the killer instinct a Franchise guy is usually supposed to have. Maybe a slightly upgraded version of prime Josh Howard. Killer instinct, as we call it instinct, isn't something that you can gain through learning and training imho.

It's just his 3rd season. When did people REALLY start saying MJ had the killer instinct or Kobe? Not to mention Leonard us playing with 3 HOF.

Infinite_limit
06-11-2014, 06:47 PM
It's just his 3rd season. When did people REALLY start saying MJ had the killer instinct or Kobe? Not to mention Leonard us playing with 3 HOF.
IMO, killer instinct goes along with personality. Being an asshole to an extent and putting yourself above everyone and everything. Leonard is a nice guy willing to sacrifice personal glory for the team. Not many Franchise Guys fit under that criteria and those that do are uber talented. Leonard is offensively behind Green so the 4th and at times 5th option on the floor. This enables him to focus on defense. You have to figure a rise in his offense will result in decline defensively.

At this point he's a spot up shooter. When he puts the ball on the floor the results are mixed. Spurs should view him as a possible 3rd option moving forward. I just don't see him realistically being the #2 scorer on a title contender. It's easy to find scoring guards to surround him with.

CosmicCowboy
06-11-2014, 07:21 PM
I love the guy but he is a product of the Spurs system. Franchise, put the team on your back type of player? Could he be All Star all NBA on the Timberwolves when he has a target on his back every game? I'm still reserving judgement on that one. Heat trying to shut Tony down had had a lot to do with his production in game 3.

SupremeGuy
06-11-2014, 08:40 PM
Kawhi is a fucking keystone. :ihit

Avante
06-11-2014, 09:39 PM
I thought about pulling a CTOA and totally ignore the topic but he's stupid and I'm not.

Leonard could be one of the leagues best if he wasn't playing on the talented Spurs. There he's behind three great players so he has to take what is given him. On a less talented team he'd thrive. A fantastic athlete, why he ended up at SDS..??? Hmmmmm?.....well so did Marshall Faulk.

spurraider21
06-12-2014, 01:34 AM
I don't think he's a #1 on a contender unless they're built evenly like the 2000's pistons. Couldn't ask for a better building block though

cantthinkofanything
06-12-2014, 10:00 AM
I don't think he's a #1 on a contender unless they're built evenly like the 2000's pistons. Couldn't ask for a better building block though

Post Big Three, I think the Spurs are going to have to be built like the Pistons to get back to the top level. Can't see them in the lottery for some time now. Hopefully Pop stays around because he's exactly the kind of coach that could win a championship without a top 5 player. I think anyway....Time will tell.

Baam
06-12-2014, 01:12 PM
Even in his big game most of his shots were assisted, he will never reach the creating ability of even the tosb version of Manu... Can't be a first option unless it's on a threadmill team... And even then it'd be extremely hard for him to be the best offensive player on the roster...

xmas1997
06-12-2014, 06:04 PM
Building block.

cantthinkofanything
06-13-2014, 03:04 PM

IMO, killer instinct goes along with personality. Being an asshole to an extent and putting yourself above everyone and everything. Leonard is a nice guy willing to sacrifice personal glory for the team. Not many Franchise Guys fit under that criteria and those that do are uber talented. Leonard is offensively behind Green so the 4th and at times 5th option on the floor. This enables him to focus on defense. You have to figure a rise in his offense will result in decline defensively.

At this point he's a spot up shooter. When he puts the ball on the floor the results are mixed. Spurs should view him as a possible 3rd option moving forward. I just don't see him realistically being the #2 scorer on a title contender. It's easy to find scoring guards to surround him with.

Even in his big game most of his shots were assisted, he will never reach the creating ability of even the tosb version of Manu... Can't be a first option unless it's on a threadmill team... And even then it'd be extremely hard for him to be the best offensive player on the roster...

Building block.

IDK...I saw some killer instinct last night. Just cause he keeps a straight face and doesn't monkey it up doesn't mean he's got a soft mentality.

Trill Clinton
06-13-2014, 03:25 PM
cornerstone most def.

Franklin
06-13-2014, 06:15 PM
dude's definitely superstar material, but I'm afraid Pop will intentionally limit his minutes next regular season just to downplay his value and re-sign him for a cheaper price (10m/yr or less, hopefully).

Ricky Davis
06-13-2014, 07:12 PM
I guess I'm biased but I can't see why he couldn't improve to that position. He's got more scoring ability than I thought and seems to understand how to finish. What do you think keeps him from making the jump?

Kevin Durant playing the same position will keep him from being a perennial all star. Tbh he just seems like he'll be a Josh Howard/Rudy Gay type, which if he can hold up for awhile, that's a great piece

He just doesn't have that Kobe-like killer instinct, and I've always believed guys either have it or they don't, it's not something that's developed over time

xmas1997
06-14-2014, 11:15 AM
Kevin Durant playing the same position will keep him from being a perennial all star. Tbh he just seems like he'll be a Josh Howard/Rudy Gay type, which if he can hold up for awhile, that's a great piece

He just doesn't have that Kobe-like killer instinct, and I've always believed guys either have it or they don't, it's not something that's developed over time

I tend to agree with your more rational assessment tbqh.
He will be a great building block and maybe a coaches pick all star.
Going forward the Spurs will need someone even better than him along side of him to contend for a championship in the future IMHO.

Big Empty
06-14-2014, 01:25 PM
The potential is there for cornerstone. But not yet. If he can put up 24 a night when this is his team well get the answer

Trainwreck2100
06-14-2014, 07:08 PM
Your best wing defender can't be your cornerstone. Only a freak like Lebron can pull that off

Chinook
06-14-2014, 09:14 PM
He probably has to get a random season-ending injury in a few years that allows the Spurs to psuedo-tank their way to another high draft pick. That's the only way I see the Spurs getting a title after the Big Three are all gone.

Spur|n|Austin
06-14-2014, 11:27 PM
He probably has to get a random season-ending injury in a few years that allows the Spurs to psuedo-tank their way to another high draft pick. That's the only way I see the Spurs getting a title after the Big Three are all gone.

So a 3rd miracle pick?

i could see the FO using their corporate knowledge weight to swoon a solid FA pickup.

cantthinkofanything
06-16-2014, 01:44 PM
So a 3rd miracle pick?

i could see the FO using their corporate knowledge weight to swoon a solid FA pickup.

ditto. last night once again validated the MO of this organization. Hopefully, Pop and Tim will stick around long enough to get the next generation started. But the front office has been nothing short of spectacular in the players they've added. Splitter, Leonard, Green, Mills, Diaw. Need some more pieces but I don't think they need a lottery pick to make it work. With the Big Three and Pop coming back at least one more year, it would be a great place for a premier free agent to come to try to get a ring.

Nbadan
06-17-2014, 01:24 AM
Pop's system, team-ball, is incredible and I hope it changes the NBA for the better...I have a feeling that teams and players are going to have to adapt to this type of play to be successful in the playoffs from this point forward...when you can change the game like that...that makes you a pinnacle of the sport....Pop is already among elite company just in team stats...all that said, if there is one problem with the system it's that Pop hasn't groomed anyone to do everything he does for the Spurs...Gino would be a better replacement to coach the Spurs than any of Pop's current assistants....Yeah, Chip is a great shooting coach, but is he ready to coach an NBA team....that brings me to this point....Pop has made himself invaluable to the Spurs success...a linchpin....without Pop, there is no team-ball...all this talk about Kawhi developing to be a corner-stone or Tim retiring aren't going to mean squat when Pop decides to walk away...

xmas1997
06-17-2014, 09:47 PM
Pop's system, team-ball, is incredible and I hope it changes the NBA for the better...I have a feeling that teams and players are going to have to adapt to this type of play to be successful in the playoffs from this point forward...when you can change the game like that...that makes you a pinnacle of the sport....Pop is already among elite company just in team stats...all that said, if there is one problem with the system it's that Pop hasn't groomed anyone to do everything he does for the Spurs...Gino would be a better replacement to coach the Spurs than any of Pop's current assistants....Yeah, Chip is a great shooting coach, but is he ready to coach an NBA team....that brings me to this point....Pop has made himself invaluable to the Spurs success...a linchpin....without Pop, there is no team-ball...all this talk about Kawhi developing to be a corner-stone or Tim retiring aren't going to mean squat when Pop decides to walk away...

You are probably right about this.
Although that may be a reason for them bringing in Messina from Europe.