PDA

View Full Version : decent coyote gun or donkey

cantthinkofanything
06-11-2014, 01:36 PM
We just moved out to the country and coyotes could be an issue. Was looking to have a rifle handy if needed. I've got an AR-15 assault rifle machine gun, a 12 gauge, a break down 22 LR and some pistols. 223 seems to be a decent round but I don't want to leave it sitting around out of its case. I also want it to be manageable for my wife and daughter.

Any recommendations? Seen several who say the Mini 14 is a good choice for an all purpose "ranch" gun.

I've also heard that Donkeys are very territorial and will keep coyotes out. Any truth to this?

TheSanityAnnex
06-11-2014, 01:52 PM
We just moved out to the country and coyotes could be an issue. Was looking to have a rifle handy if needed. I've got an AR-15 assault rifle machine gun, a 12 gauge, a break down 22 LR and some pistols. 223 seems to be a decent round but I don't want to leave it sitting around out of its case. I also want it to be manageable for my wife and daughter.

Any recommendations? Seen several who say the Mini 14 is a good choice for an all purpose "ranch" gun.

I've also heard that Donkeys are very territorial and will keep coyotes out. Any truth to this?

Mini-14's aren't all that accurate. Your AR-15 assault rifle machine gun will do just fine, I've used mine for deer. Not much recoil either, wife and daughter will have no problem. It only kills them with a collapsible stock, high capacity magazine, and a forward grip attached. Make sure you have these features installed.

DisAsTerBot
06-11-2014, 01:54 PM
30-30 lever action

cantthinkofanything
06-11-2014, 02:03 PM
30-30 lever action

That was my initial thought. But would have to get a lighter model so everyone could handle it easily. But then would worry about the recoil. Also having to cock it between shots.

leemajors
06-11-2014, 02:37 PM
are you worried they will kill your cats?

cantthinkofanything
06-11-2014, 02:47 PM
are you worried they will kill your cats?

:lol

CosmicCowboy
06-11-2014, 03:41 PM
The AR15 is perfect for that. Accurate, no recoil, light, adjustable butt stock, etc. It's got plenty of pop for coyotes.

CosmicCowboy
06-11-2014, 03:47 PM
Mini 14 = shitty AR15

cantthinkofanything
06-11-2014, 04:00 PM
The AR15 is perfect for that. Accurate, no recoil, light, adjustable butt stock, etc. It's got plenty of pop for coyotes.

Yes, I realize that but I don't want to leave it out of it's case.

Mini 14 = shitty AR15

You seem to be the minority in thinking that. I've read they are solid dependable guns for shorter ranges.

CosmicCowboy
06-11-2014, 04:04 PM
Yes, I realize that but I don't want to leave it out of it's case.

You seem to be the minority in thinking that. I've read they are solid dependable guns for shorter ranges.

Why own a gun that isn't accurate? I've seen Mini 14's that couldn't keep all the rounds in a dinner plate sized circle at 100 yards. I expect my rifles to shoot no more than nickel sized groups at that range. And whats the deal with leaving the AR15 out of of case? Whats the difference between that and leaving the mini 14 out of the case?

cantthinkofanything
06-11-2014, 04:15 PM
Why own a gun that isn't accurate? I've seen Mini 14's that couldn't keep all the rounds in a dinner plate sized circle at 100 yards. I expect my rifles to shoot no more than nickel sized groups at that range. And whats the deal with leaving the AR15 out of of case? Whats the difference between that and leaving the mini 14 out of the case?

My AR is pretty heavy for one thing but I want to leave in the case so my daughter won't use it for target practice and fuck it up. I don't care if the Mini gets beat up.

As to accuracy, supposedly, the Mini 14 was retooled with a heavier barrel and faster twist a few years ago. That being, said, I just looked at prices and I'm shocked at what they are asking for them. This used to be a cheap gun if I remember.

Trill Clinton
06-11-2014, 04:38 PM
mini 14 w/ a heavy barrel+angled grip+holographic optic

TheSanityAnnex
06-11-2014, 04:47 PM
My AR is pretty heavy for one thing but I want to leave in the case so my daughter won't use it for target practice and fuck it up. I don't care if the Mini gets beat up.

As to accuracy, supposedly, the Mini 14 was retooled with a heavier barrel and faster twist a few years ago. That being, said, I just looked at prices and I'm shocked at what they are asking for them. This used to be a cheap gun if I remember.

Check out Mossberg's new ranch rifle in .226/5.56. I've been debating one myself.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/rifles/mvp-series/mvp-predator

cantthinkofanything
06-11-2014, 05:07 PM
Check out Mossberg's new ranch rifle in .226/5.56. I've been debating one myself.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/rifles/mvp-series/mvp-predator

I've never owed a Mossberg but this one might be the first. Has great reviews. More accurate than the Mini 14. For the price of the Mini, you could get the Mossberg and a good scope. Not to mention using the AR15 mags.
Which one are you looking at?

TheSanityAnnex
06-11-2014, 05:26 PM
I've never owed a Mossberg but this one might be the first. Has great reviews. More accurate than the Mini 14. For the price of the Mini, you could get the Mossberg and a good scope. Not to mention using the AR15 mags.
Which one are you looking at?

The 18.5

It's either that or a compound bow, and I'm leaning heavily towards the bow. Been shooting them all week and I am hooked.

leemajors
06-11-2014, 06:02 PM
The 18.5

It's either that or a compound bow, and I'm leaning heavily towards the bow. Been shooting them all week and I am hooked.

Thats what everyone in my family who hunts at my dad's ranch does now for whitetail. My uncle has been doing it for several decades and in the last 5 years they have all gone to the bow.

TheSanityAnnex
06-11-2014, 06:48 PM
Thats what everyone in my family who hunts at my dad's ranch does now for whitetail. My uncle has been doing it for several decades and in the last 5 years they have all gone to the bow.
I hadn't shot a bow in over 20 years and was blown away by the speed and accuracy of today's compounds. I've only been shooting a week and I'm grouping 3" from 20 yards. Way more to do with the bow than me I believe. Already setting up my backyard for when my bow arrives, 20-60 yard shots, definitely hooked.

CosmicCowboy
06-11-2014, 06:57 PM
i've been shooting a bow for about 10 years now. Ruined several arrows with Robin Hoods at 30 yards. Killed a few pigs and a couple of deer with it. Shot a squirrel in the yard at 35 yards with a target point. That was a mistake. Center punched him right behind the shoulder and he ran away with my arrow. Had to chase the damn tree rat down. Barely caught the little fucker before he went up a tree with my $10 carbon fiber arrow.

CosmicCowboy
06-11-2014, 06:59 PM
Bow sucks for coyotes though. If you are afraid they are gonna be that close to the house then just use the shotgun with #4 buck. Good for larger 2 legged varmints too if needed.

CosmicCowboy
06-11-2014, 07:11 PM
If you really want to step up your game with a bolt gun get a Savage model 12 Varmint in 22-250. Mine shoots 1/2 MOA cloverleaf groups at 100 yards all day long. Made 600 yard pdog kills with it, culled 100's of deer with it on management hunts with brain stem shots. Loping coyote at 450 yards. It's a hella fun rifle to shoot, screaming fast bullet with a lot of KE and blows a huge fucking hole for such a small caliber with negligent recoil.

cantthinkofanything
06-12-2014, 10:05 AM
The 18.5

That's what I was looking at also. Maybe put a 2-7 on it. But I would like to have a bow also. Have a friend that bow hunts and has some targets set up in his field. Says he'll never hunt with a gun again.
But LOL at the thought of me waking up in the middle of the night, grabbing the bow and trying to shoot a coyote.

leemajors
06-12-2014, 11:02 AM
That's what I was looking at also. Maybe put a 2-7 on it. But I would like to have a bow also. Have a friend that bow hunts and has some targets set up in his field. Says he'll never hunt with a gun again.
But LOL at the thought of me waking up in the middle of the night, grabbing the bow and trying to shoot a coyote.

You'd probably have better luck just firing at them with a shotgun, then they would likely stay away.

cantthinkofanything
06-12-2014, 11:34 AM
You'd probably have better luck just firing at them with a shotgun, then they would likely stay away.

I've got a shotgun but it'd be like 100 yards away from where the problem could be. Plus, that wouldn't give me a reason to buy a new gun.

TheSanityAnnex
06-12-2014, 12:09 PM
I've got a shotgun but it'd be like 100 yards away from where the problem could be. Plus, that wouldn't give me a reason to buy a new gun.

Check out Ruger's .17hmr. Ammo is much cheaper than .223 and readily available. 2,500+ fps and a super flat trajectory. Bad ass round.

cantthinkofanything
06-12-2014, 12:19 PM
Check out Ruger's .17hmr. Ammo is much cheaper than .223 and readily available. 2,500+ fps and a super flat trajectory. Bad ass round.

Is that enough for a coyote?

CosmicCowboy
06-12-2014, 12:50 PM
Is that enough for a coyote?

I have one. It would definitely hurt one, but without a head/neck shot probably wouldn't drop it in it's tracks. A 22-250 will turn em inside out.

CosmicCowboy
06-12-2014, 12:55 PM
For comparison, I use both on prairie dogs. The .17 will generally have a quarter size exit wound. With the 22-250 you see pink mist on impact and then go pick up the pieces.

cantthinkofanything
06-12-2014, 12:58 PM
I have one. It would definitely hurt one, but without a head/neck shot probably wouldn't drop it in it's tracks. A 22-250 will turn em inside out.

I don't reload and I don't want to spend that much on ammo. I'm sure that's a great round to shoot but I think I'm gonna stay with the 223 since I already have the AR and ammo is cheaper.

TheSanityAnnex
06-12-2014, 01:07 PM
I don't reload and I don't want to spend that much on ammo. I'm sure that's a great round to shoot but I think I'm gonna stay with the 223 since I already have the AR and ammo is cheaper.

You could always build a lightweight AR.

www.palmettostatearmory.com

These guys are great. Shipping is a bit slow but you won't find a mil-spec gun for any cheaper, could build one for $500. I've got a 14.5" from them and it's a great gun for the money.

cantthinkofanything
06-12-2014, 01:25 PM
You could always build a lightweight AR.

www.palmettostatearmory.com (http://www.palmettostatearmory.com)

These guys are great. Shipping is a bit slow but you won't find a mil-spec gun for any cheaper, could build one for $500. I've got a 14.5" from them and it's a great gun for the money.

Did you buy a full kit or did you buy all parts separately? I'd like to do that but I know myself and I can see a bunch of parts sitting on my table at home for weeks.
I bought an Uzi pistol cheap at an auction still in box with tag. Had it for years now. I think I'll take it to the next gun show and try to trade for one of those Mossbergs and end up with some cash for a scope or a pistol.

TheSanityAnnex
06-12-2014, 01:30 PM
Did you buy a full kit or did you buy all parts separately? I'd like to do that but I know myself and I can see a bunch of parts sitting on my table at home for weeks.
I bought an Uzi pistol cheap at an auction still in box with tag. Had it for years now. I think I'll take it to the next gun show and try to trade for one of those Mossbergs and end up with some cash for a scope or a pistol.

They do daily deals so I got a complete lower when it was on sale, and then a week later got the complete upper on sale. Their prices are ridiculously cheap for the high quality they make.

xmas1997
06-14-2014, 11:26 AM
A Henry octagon barrel lever action 22 magnum rifle.