PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Upcoming aging players, tbh..

Malik Hairston
06-11-2014, 03:41 PM
Thread inspired by Tim Duncan's amazing run at age 38, which has never been done before(unless you count Kareem, but he played in prehistoric times)..not only leading his team in most metrics, but just the fact that he took a pay-cut and dramatically altered his game to fit the new NBA..

Rank these aging players in terms of likelihood to age gracefully in a winning role, tbh..it doesn't necessarily have to be a Duncan-esque impact, it could even be accepting a reduced role like old Vince Carter..

- Joe Johnson
- Dirk Nowitzki
- David West
- Pau Gasol
- Zach Randolph
- Dwyane Wade
- Kobe Bryant
- Tony Parker

ElNono
06-11-2014, 03:51 PM
I would swap the top 2, tbh... but overall a solid list. I think the biggest issue with Dirk is his knees and lack of mobility, I think his game already translates well, since he's always been a premiere shooter and smart passer.

Malik Hairston
06-11-2014, 03:54 PM
My list wasn't in order, btw, I just named players..

I agree about Dirk..his offense will always work, but his defense was exploited badly by the Spurs in round 1, and his knees looked done..not certain how you mask that..

The same issues arise with Randolph, his defense is already awful..Pau, maybe, too..

spurraider21
06-11-2014, 04:13 PM
i know you didn't put em in order, but i think Dirk-Johnson-West is a good top 3 with Pau #4. the rest are going to age terribly. tbh i dont want parker on the post Duncan-Manu-Pop spurs, i think his decline will be ugly :lol

unleashbaynes
06-11-2014, 04:18 PM
I've always liked David West, he has such a good reliable jump shot and is just a nice hustle player that isn't overly reliant on athleticism....he and Dirk should age well.

TP probably seems like a guy who will slow down a lot but i wouldn't underestimate his ability to change his game based on what the team needs. All of a sudden he can hit the 3 ball, that's gonna be huge for him if he can keep that up.

Mugen
06-11-2014, 04:36 PM
I'll go with Pau tbh. He's the only big on there with length/size to play Center for the remainder of his career, a big part of why Duncan is still effective at his age. Hopefully, he's smart enough to leave that sinking franchise and play for a team that can fully maximize his offensive skills.

Brazil
06-11-2014, 04:55 PM
Parker should already have declined if you look at the way 30 y/o PGs who rely on speed are. This year he is obviously playing at a lower level than last year but I believe an entire summer of rest is gonna do wonders for him but no way he keeps up at Duncan's level at 38.

on this list I like randolph, west and pau.

Mugen
06-11-2014, 04:57 PM
Z-Bo is gonna fall off a cliff after he signs this next contract. Like, i think there's a good chance he gets himself in a situation where he literally falls off a cliff tbh.

DAF86
06-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Parker should already have declined if you look at the way 30 y/o PGs who rely on speed are. This year he is obviously playing at a lower level than last year but I believe an entire summer of rest is gonna do wonders for him but no way he keeps up at Duncan's level at 38.

on this list I like randolph, west and pau.

Iverson averaged 18.7 ppg and 6.7 assts on 45% at age 34, tbh.

Franklin
06-11-2014, 05:52 PM
Niggas whose games rely more on fundamentals and less on athleticism will age more gracefully. With that said, the likes of Z-Bo and Lebron will have health problems due to being overweight.

Malik Hairston
06-11-2014, 05:58 PM
I could actually see Parker's game aging better than I could have imagined a few years ago, tbh, as long as he continues to work on his 3-point shot and sticks with the Spurs..

Arcadian
06-11-2014, 06:14 PM
Yeah, I actually think Parker could age well. He has already adapted his game to some extent.

I always knew Duncan would age well...everyone did. He is the embodiment of steadiness, consistency, and fundamental skill.

Brazil
06-11-2014, 06:40 PM

Yup but iverson was a high volume low efficient scorer and had a 3 pts, kind of different from Parker

Brazil
06-11-2014, 06:42 PM
I could actually see Parker's game aging better than I could have imagined a few years ago, tbh, as long as he continues to work on his 3-point shot and sticks with the Spurs..

Yeah, I actually think Parker could age well. He has already adapted his game to some extent.

Thats possible if dude gives up one for all playing the summer

DAF86
06-11-2014, 06:44 PM
Yup but iverson was a high volume low efficient scorer and had a 3 pts, kind of different from Parker

That's why I posted his FG% in there. He was actually more efficient that season that during his prime, in fact that season AI took less shots per game than Tony this season (13.3 to 13.4). 32 years now isn't what it used to be. 40s are the new 30s, tbh.

MultiTroll
06-11-2014, 07:03 PM
Since Kobe went straight from high school to pro wrestling, could he go back to college and play basketball?

Kidd K
06-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Thread inspired by Tim Duncan's amazing run at age 38, which has never been done before(unless you count Kareem, but he played in prehistoric times)..not only leading his team in most metrics, but just the fact that he took a pay-cut and dramatically altered his game to fit the new NBA..

Rank these aging players in terms of likelihood to age gracefully in a winning role, tbh..it doesn't necessarily have to be a Duncan-esque impact, it could even be accepting a reduced role like old Vince Carter..

- Joe Johnson
- Dirk Nowitzki
- David West
- Pau Gasol
- Zach Randolph
- Dwyane Wade
- Kobe Bryant
- Tony Parker

Dirk is already getting up there but I think he will continue to play pretty well since he's always been a skill player. Same with Pau though he's prone to having a bad game here and there.

Wade will age VERY poorly imo.

Parker I think will alter his game to be more of a 3pt shooter as he gets older. He's already making the transition. Better late than never :P

Kobe. . .I'll say he'll always be decent, but definitely not a superstar anymore.

The only guy I see being very good still like Duncan is Dirk. Kobe will still score well but his defense will be trash.

Clipper Nation
06-11-2014, 07:26 PM
Wade and Kirby have already aged poorly, tbh.....

Brazil
06-11-2014, 07:46 PM
That's why I posted his FG% in there. He was actually more efficient that season that during his prime, in fact that season AI took less shots per game than Tony this season (13.3 to 13.4). 32 years now isn't what it used to be. 40s are the new 30s, tbh.

He was still a shooter, Parker bread and butter is getting into the paint to score or to dish out for open guys. You add that to the fact he runs spurs offense going through multiple screens running at the baseline. That demands a lot of energy hard to keep up when getting older.

he is adapting his game but I don't see him aging as gracefully as Duncan tbh

Johnny RIngo
06-11-2014, 09:37 PM

The spike in Iverson's yearly FG% coincides with the NBA rules changes in 2005. Lots of guys were posting career numbers in 2006(which is why I consider it one of the more overrated scoring season in NBA history). NBA defenses didn't properly adjust to the rule changes until a few years later.

LkrFan
06-11-2014, 09:45 PM
Wade and Kirby have already aged poorly, tbh.....

As soon as LeHype is HGH-tested, his game will fall off a cliff.