PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Vancouver to get a team?

ImDaNuts
06-11-2014, 04:56 PM
http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/06/vancouvers-ability-support-nba-rebound-report/

Almost 15 years since the ill-fated Grizzlies left town, a report from The Conference Board of Canada is suggesting Vancouver will reach the size and wealth to support another NBA team within the next 20 years.“Although Vancouver’s previous basketball experience ended with the Grizzlies franchise moving to Memphis and some ill-will in the city toward the National Basketball Association (NBA), the market conditions exist for another franchise to be successful,” said Glen Hodgson, Senior Vice-President and Chief Economist. “With Vancouver’s steady rise in population, high income levels, and a strong corporate presence, the NBA could return one day, especially if the Canadian dollar remains strong.”
The report (http://www.conferenceboard.ca/press/newsrelease/14-06-09/professional_basketball_could_rebound_in_vancouver .aspx) notes that with Vancouver’s population expected to increase by more than a million people over the next 20 years, the city could support another professional sports franchise. However, despite the population increase, the market would not be large enough to support a MLB franchise or second NHL team, making a NBA resurrection much more likely.
The chances of success for another franchise was based upon three aspects; market pillars, league competitive conditions, and franchise specific factors, such as ownership and management strength, playing facilities, and fan support.
When the Grizzlies departed for Memphis following the 2000–01 season, Vancouver’s population was only slightly above 2 million and the Canadian dollar was in a downward spiral towards a historic low of 61.98 cents (U.S.). In short, despite the pleas of the Grizzlies fanbase, keeping the team in town did not make sense on a business level.
However, in 2012, the Vancouver region had almost 2.5 million people, disposable income per capita was fifth among major Canadian cities, and Vancouver had 94 of Canada’s 800 largest corporations.
In addition, competitive conditions in the NBA are relatively favourable for a Vancouver franchise, due to a cap on player salaries mandated in the latest collective bargaining agreement.
The major challenge will be to find committed ownership and astute management. Given that the departure of the previous NBA franchise left hard feelings among many fans and community leaders, new owners would need to rebuild support for professional basketball in the Vancouver market.
With the increasing number of pre-season NBA games being played in Vancouver, including the Toronto Raptors hosting the Sacramento Kings at Rogers Arena on October 5, the level of support seems to be rising, making the return of the NBA to Vancouver increasingly more likely.

Canadian dollar is a lot stronger now. Could work out. That 1st round match up of OKC vs Grizz should of been Seattle vs Vancouver this year tbh....

IrisHockey
06-11-2014, 05:01 PM
Damn, getting the Oklahoma City Thunder would be nice.

Clipper Nation
06-11-2014, 05:37 PM
It'll be hilarious when Vancouver gets a team and Seattle doesn't :lol

Infinite_limit
06-11-2014, 05:44 PM
Canadian dollar is a lot stronger now. Could work out. That 1st round match up of OKC vs Grizz should of been Seattle vs Vancouver this year tbh....
That would have been Epic.

I attended a Grizzlies game in 1997 @ GM Place. They played the Bucks

Franklin
06-11-2014, 05:55 PM
the superfags should've joined together in Toronto in 2010 rather than Miami imho, since Canada is a gay-friendly country.

Budkin
06-11-2014, 05:59 PM
http://www.vancouversun.com/cms/binary/4312491.jpg

Infinite_limit
06-11-2014, 06:04 PM
http://www.vancouversun.com/cms/binary/4312491.jpg
Title Contender in Todays NBA

baseline bum
06-11-2014, 06:06 PM

They'd probably build an arena

Jacob1983
06-11-2014, 11:09 PM
The NBA needs to get players like Big Country instead of flashy emo pussies.

LkrFan
06-12-2014, 02:35 AM

"The 2017-2018 (AD*) Vancouver Spurs"

*After Duncan

:lol

hater
06-12-2014, 04:01 AM

Why? Vancouver is a top 5 city in tbe wold.

NASpurs
06-12-2014, 04:09 AM
I was in Vancouver a few months ago. Fucking gorgeous city and I would love to me there. Never seen so many Asians in my life.

Franklin
06-12-2014, 05:47 PM
The percentage of yellow population in Canada is probably even higher than that in Houston tbh.

Infinite_limit
06-12-2014, 08:24 PM
I was in Vancouver a few months ago. Fucking gorgeous city and I would love to me there. Never seen so many Asians in my life.
I spent a year in Vancouver during the late 90's. In the suburbs it was the kinda place you don't bother locking your door

ImDaNuts
06-13-2014, 12:49 AM
I live in the burbs of Vancouver and yeah it's super safe out here. I'm right by the beach....work 5 mins away. Can just fucking bike there if I wanted but I have to go through a damn tunnel. Gorgeous city.....yeah a lot of asians but they LOVE basketball especially all the Flips who live here too who idolize Kobe and Lebron.....Vancouver would have no problem selling seats. It's not like before where the dollar was low and people had no fucking clue what basketball was.