PDA

View Full Version : Hubie Brown: Why Michael Jordan Would Dominate Today

06-11-2014, 06:28 PM
"The Detroit Bad Guys" :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JttE4UT74k

Malik Hairston
06-11-2014, 06:30 PM
The dominance of superstars generally translates well from era-to-era, as we have seen throughout history..Dad Killer is a GOAT candidate, of course he would dominate in any era:lol..

The difference is usually non-superstars across eras, they wouldn't be able to play against today's athletes, obviously..

hitmanyr2k
06-11-2014, 06:38 PM
I'm gonna shed a tear when Hubie either hangs up the mic or passes away. That guy taught me the game of basketball with his commentary when I was knee high. Unlike these commentators today with their constant babble like Jeff Van Gundy and Mark Jackson with his corny "mama there goes that man" catchphrases Hubie used to break the game down and educate.

dbreiden83080
06-11-2014, 06:42 PM
Jesus Christ I am so tired of hearing about the physicality of Jordan's era. The bad boys got away with it but as Jordan's aura and legacy grew you could not touch him in the playoffs. I'm 33 and watched his whole career closely and in the playoffs if the Knicks were looking at him cross eyed it was a foul..

06-11-2014, 06:44 PM
Jesus Christ I am so tired of hearing about the physicality of Jordan's era. The bad boys got away with it but as Jordan's aura and legacy grew you could not touch him in the playoffs. I'm 33 and watched his whole career closely and in the playoffs if the Knicks were looking at him cross eyed it was a foul..
True

06-11-2014, 06:45 PM
Oscar also benefited from playing an era that was very fast paced. Faster the pace, the more possessions you get to try and score.

dbreiden83080
06-11-2014, 06:45 PM
We are talking about a guy in Jordan that commits an obvious and blatant offensive foul to win his 6th chip.. The refs the 2nd half of his career really coddled him..

dbreiden83080
06-11-2014, 06:51 PM
Oscar also benefited from playing an era that was very fast paced. Faster the pace, the more possessions you get to try and score.

Oscar was a great player but if he were playing today would he be so much better than a prime Kobe or tooling Lebron on the court?

No way..

Johnny RIngo
06-11-2014, 06:56 PM
We are talking about a guy in Jordan that commits an obvious and blatant offensive foul to win his 6th chip.. The refs the 2nd half of his career really coddled him..

Jordan's the GOAT obviously but he also had the benefit of playing in the pre-internet era. The guy was a scumbag off the court but nobody really knew it back then since their only source of information came from television and newspapers. Nowadays, everything is scrutinized to the smallest detail.

TheGreatYacht
06-11-2014, 06:59 PM
Watch a Bulls-Jazz Finals game again... Then look at an OKC game... You'll appreciate Jordan's greatness

hitmanyr2k
06-11-2014, 06:59 PM

It really wasn't that bad. I seriously doubt Jordan could push a 240 pound Russell with one hand and make him fall while simultaneously crossing back over into his shot. Russell was already juked and losing his balance anyway. Jordan just helped him along a bit :lol

TheGreatYacht
06-11-2014, 07:04 PM
Jordan's the GOAT obviously but he also had the benefit of playing in the pre-internet era. The guy was a scumbag off the court but nobody really knew it back then since their only source of information came from television and newspapers. Nowadays, everything is scrutinized to the smallest detail.
He gave money to people all the time, spent time with sick kids after games without the media knowing... You're silly if you think Jordan would be affected by little virgins criticizing him on twitter. The guy had no heart... He benefited from playing in a pre-internet era? Imagine him in today's era where players can't handcheck and touch you on defense. He benefited?

Kidd K
06-11-2014, 07:04 PM
I'm gonna shed a tear when Hubie either hangs up the mic or passes away. That guy taught me the game of basketball with his commentary when I was knee high. Unlike these commentators today with their constant babble like Jeff Van Gundy and Mark Jackson with his corny "mama there goes that man" catchphrases Hubie used to break the game down and educate.

The worst thing about Mark Jackson and his catchphrases? He says "hand down, man down" even when the defender has a hand in his face lol

dbreiden83080
06-11-2014, 07:05 PM
Watch a Bulls-Jazz Finals game again... Then look at an OKC game... You'll appreciate Jordan's greatness

I saw all of it.. I was living in NY watching the refs blow the whistle in the 4th quarter every time he drove the ball.. In the media back then it was no secret he was being coddled..

TheGreatYacht
06-11-2014, 07:07 PM
The worst thing about Mark Jackson and his catchphrases? He says "hand down, man down" even when the defender has a hand in his face lol
This. They were cutting to commercials yesterday and he said that catchphrase when Timmy had his hand in Lebron's face on a 3 :lmao

tholdren
06-11-2014, 07:11 PM

So you were, what, 9 during the 91 finals? You thinking you could break down games at 9. You're too young to even comment on what generation was good, because youve seen 2. The late 90s until now. Hell, you probably think the coolest thing ever was Jason Williams and Webber on the Kings. And1 Ohhhh baby.

Hubie is correct in his analysis of defense. The hand check and getting to the rim would crush players like lebron and durant who dont like contact.

Red Hawk #21
06-11-2014, 07:13 PM

This. Hube is a great basketball mind, love that guy.

Kidd K
06-11-2014, 07:14 PM
Btw great vid OP. Hubie makes great points, and the "guards and small forwards have the green light to go to the rim now" due to defensive rule changes solely meant to handcuff defenses to help out speedy finesse players (not to mention the FTA food stamps for said players) are exactly why I don't think players now are "the best athletes" of NBA history. They're faster, yes. They're also weaker and softer.

A player like Westbrook who gloats after every play would be in the hospital several times a year if he played in the 80's. I would love to see Westbrook try to get a layup with Bill Lambeer in the paint on a play after he dunks then screams a taunt.

This. They were cutting to commercials yesterday and he said that catchphrase when Timmy had his hand in Lebron's face on a 3 :lmao

:lmao That's EXACTLY the play I had in mind when I posted that too. It's like he doesn't even watch the damn games.

Red Hawk #21
06-11-2014, 07:14 PM

What does "Man down" even mean?

TheGreatYacht
06-11-2014, 07:15 PM
I saw all of it.. I was living in NY watching the refs blow the whistle in the 4th quarter every time he drove the ball.. In the media back then it was no secret he was being coddled..
I didin't watch his era, I saw his finals games on Hardwood Classics. Maybe you think he started getting ref help because the league did soften up after the "Jordan Rules" , but it had to be. IMO it wasn't Jordan's fault, the Celtics and Knicks got away with murder. The Pistons softened the league up, just like OKC will be the reason the league will toughen up soon.

Raven
06-11-2014, 07:15 PM
he really wouldn't be as good in today's 3 point dominant basketball.

Kidd K
06-11-2014, 07:16 PM

Honestly, I have no fuckin clue. It rhymes. . .that's about it. :lol

Maybe he's trying to pretend like hitting a jumper is like "killing" the defensive player. Scorer's arrogance I guess.

Oh, Gee!!
06-11-2014, 07:17 PM
Isnt MJ like 50 by now? No way he could keep up with 23 year olds

Shastafarian
06-11-2014, 07:19 PM
I feel like he means if your hand is down the defense is a man down because that defender might as well not be playing. It's stupid just like him.

TheGreatYacht
06-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Player #1 got an uncontested jumper because Player #2 had his arms down. If he makes the shot, he "owned" the defender

The guy keeps handing us genius quotes :lmao
"Kobe will be Jordan's equal"
"Lebron is already better than Bird"
"I have the best shooting duo of all time"
"What makes Duncan a good teammate and Kobe a bad one?"
"Manu shouldn't of gotten so close to Wade, it would've avoided a flop"

hitmanyr2k
06-11-2014, 07:25 PM
I didin't watch his era, I saw his finals games on Hardwood Classics. Maybe you think he started getting ref help because the league did soften up after the "Jordan Rules" , but it had to be. IMO it wasn't Jordan's fault, the Celtics and Knicks got away with murder. The Pistons softened the league up, just like OKC will be the reason the league will toughen up soon.

Yeah, it wasn't just the Pistons. Jordan was a relentless slasher to the rim in his early days and sometimes teams just had to send him a message that it wasn't going to be so easy in the paint lol. This foul was before flagrants were handed out. That was nothing more than a hard playoff foul back then. Today that's probably a 3-5 game suspension :lol The players these days really don't know how good they have it.

http://i.imgur.com/K8IdW7K.gif

http://i.imgur.com/tU6ZDnQ.gif

baseline bum
06-11-2014, 07:33 PM

It's from boxing. If your hands are down your ass gets knocked out.

Red Hawk #21
06-11-2014, 07:45 PM
Player #1 got an uncontested jumper because Player #2 had his arms down. If he makes the shot, he "owned" the defender

The guy keeps handling us genius quotes :lmao
"Kobe will be Jordan's equal"
"Lebron is already better than Bird"
"I have the best shooting duo of all time"
"What makes Duncan a good teammate and Kobe a bad one?"
"Manu shouldn't of gotten so close to Wade, it would've avoided a flop"

This one got me so pissed off the other night. You had that fool Mark Jackson actually criticizing Ginobili for playing defense in Game 2 of the freaking NBA finals. And then JVG was there co-signing as well. I remember one of them saying some shit like "You can't put yourself in that position" :wow those guys are real idiots...

Ignignokt
06-11-2014, 08:13 PM
Jordanfag is shilling hard these days.

dbreiden83080
06-11-2014, 08:49 PM
So you were, what, 9 during the 91 finals? You thinking you could break down games at 9. You're too young to even comment on what generation was good, because youve seen 2. The late 90s until now. Hell, you probably think the coolest thing ever was Jason Williams and Webber on the Kings. And1 Ohhhh baby.

Hubie is correct in his analysis of defense. The hand check and getting to the rim would crush players like lebron and durant who dont like contact.

Oh please STFU I was 13 right in the middle of the Knicks/Bulls living and dying with each game.. I read all the media back then and Jordan was coddled.. I am not saying he was not the GOAT what I am saying is all this talk about the 90's being so bad ass compared to today is mostly just old men yelling at the young kids to get off their lawn. The Knicks could be physical with the likes of BJ Armstrong but if MJ was taking it to the hole with 1 min to play any contact and he gets to the line. Magic Johnson even famously joked during a Dream Team photo shoot

"You can't get too close to Michael it's a foul" as he and Bird had a good laugh..

dbreiden83080
06-11-2014, 08:51 PM

2 things on this

1) Like Jordan and other stars of that era they would get more calls than most
2) All great players adjust to the rules of their era.. Jordan dominates in any era, as does Lebron, Duncan, Kobe, Shaq etc.. The idea that Lebron would never be able to deal with contact at 6'8 260 is hilarious. He gets mugged and still gets the and 1 in todays game pal..

Aztecfan03
06-11-2014, 09:04 PM
Maybe "hand down, man down" means if your hand is down it is like your team is playing 4 on 5?

Malik Hairston
06-11-2014, 09:41 PM
I tried to watch a game from the 90s the other day..I had to stop after the 1st quarter, it was unbearable, tbh..

Disgusting basketball, all ISO offense, no skill involved, too many goons, no strategy and coaching..hideous ball..

Johnny RIngo
06-11-2014, 09:53 PM
He gave money to people all the time, spent time with sick kids after games without the media knowing... You're silly if you think Jordan would be affected by little virgins criticizing him on twitter. The guy had no heart... He benefited from playing in a pre-internet era? Imagine him in today's era where players can't handcheck and touch you on defense. He benefited?

I didn't say Jordan's game on the court would be affected. Like I said, he's the GOAT. I was talking about his reputation off the court. My uncle still thinks MJ's real life persona is like the crap you saw in Space Jam. Anytime I bring up the gambling problem or how much of an asshole he was to his teammates or fans, he doesn't believe any of it. Still worships him like he's a god.

midnightpulp
06-11-2014, 10:13 PM
Jordan would be even more unstoppable offensively today in the right offense. The only penetrator on his level in NBA history is Lebron. And as good as a finisher James is, Jordan is slightly better. He has more of an arsenal of shots around the basket off the drive than James.

Jordan would be a terror in the new "space and pace" NBA, especially when you consider how marginalized shot blockers have become.

It'd be him and James battling it out for the MVP every year.

tholdren
06-11-2014, 10:21 PM
2 things on this

1) Like Jordan and other stars of that era they would get more calls than most
2) All great players adjust to the rules of their era.. Jordan dominates in any era, as does Lebron, Duncan, Kobe, Shaq etc.. The idea that Lebron would never be able to deal with contact at 6'8 260 is hilarious. He gets mugged and still gets the and 1 in todays game pal..

Lebron has trouble dealing with contact now, he doesnt get mugged as much as he should. Additionally there are no mean defenders in the league. Who is the best? Ibaka... who was dunked on by corey joseph.

The point is none of today's players would be able to do it. They barrel through the lane trying to get minimal contact and get to the line. he would fail then cry, per usual

Malik Hairston
06-11-2014, 10:54 PM
Dad Killer wouldn't have been able to handle the pressure of today's media, tbh..he played in an era where they sheltered him and allowed him to punch teammates, abuse them, etc, while being a huge piece of shit off the court..

If you don't believe that he left basketball because of his gambling/being complicit in the murder of his father, then you have to believe the reports that he was tired of the pressure/expectations and needed to leave for a while..he wouldn't have been able to handle today's era of media scrutinize and TMZ..

SpurPadre
06-11-2014, 10:56 PM
Dad Killer wouldn't have been able to handle the pressure of today's media, tbh..he played in an era where they sheltered him and allowed him to punch teammates, abuse them, etc, while being a huge piece of shit off the court..

If you don't believe that he left basketball because of his gambling/being complicit in the murder of his father, then you have to believe the reports that he was tired of the pressure/expectations and needed to leave for a while..he wouldn't have been able to handle today's era of media scrutinize and TMZ..

Are you kidding? MJ used to feed off of anger. If he saw TMZ and other websites writing shit about him, he would use that and score 50-60 the next game.

Malik Hairston
06-11-2014, 10:59 PM
90s basketball was just so shitty, though..

Watching that shit on YouTube is the equivalent of watching Brady Bunch or Mash or an old-ass show that is antiquated and unappealing..or like watching comedians from the 70s, it doesn't age well, at all..

Malik Hairston
06-11-2014, 11:03 PM
Dad Killer responding to fabricated stories about players "fueling" him isn't the same as ESPN reporting that Jordan punched his teammates and abused them, while TMZ Sports and Deadspin report that he's partying and gambling all night while shitting on fans that try to talk to him..

His HOF speech was one of the most embarrassing moments in the history of sports IMO..

TheGreatYacht
06-11-2014, 11:22 PM
90s basketball was just so shitty, though..

Watching that shit on YouTube is the equivalent of watching Brady Bunch or Mash or an old-ass show that is antiquated and unappealing..or like watching comedians from the 70s, it doesn't age well, at all..
What's wrong with you? You enjoy watching teams shoot 50 free throws a game in today's game? C'mon I thought you'd appreciate fundamentals being a Spurs fan

RD2191
06-11-2014, 11:25 PM
Dad Killer responding to fabricated stories about players "fueling" him isn't the same as ESPN reporting that Jordan punched his teammates and abused them, while TMZ Sports and Deadspin report that he's partying and gambling all night while shitting on fans that try to talk to him..

His HOF speech was one of the most embarrassing moments in the history of sports IMO..
Shit was just pathetic , tbh. Never seen such an insecure person.

benstanfield
06-11-2014, 11:55 PM
Listening to Hubie commentate these Finals would be a beautiful thing.

Instead we get argumentative guy and the retard pastor.

Tuddy
06-12-2014, 01:13 AM
I tried to watch a game from the 90s the other day..I had to stop after the 1st quarter, it was unbearable, tbh..

Disgusting basketball, all ISO offense, no skill involved, too many goons, no strategy and coaching..hideous ball..
Sounds like pretty much the whole Eastern conference now minus the goons.

Nbadan
06-12-2014, 02:14 AM
Jordan would be even more unstoppable offensively today in the right offense. The only penetrator on his level in NBA history is Lebron. And as good as a finisher James is, Jordan is slightly better. He has more of an arsenal of shots around the basket off the drive than James.

Jordan would be a terror in the new "space and pace" NBA, especially when you consider how marginalized shot blockers have become.

It'd be him and James battling it out for the MVP every year.

No doubt...Jordan would dominate every much today as he did in his era....and James? He would dominate right along side him....great players are great in any era..

dbreiden83080
06-12-2014, 09:43 AM
Lebron has trouble dealing with contact now, he doesnt get mugged as much as he should. Additionally there are no mean defenders in the league. Who is the best? Ibaka... who was dunked on by corey joseph.

The point is none of today's players would be able to do it. They barrel through the lane trying to get minimal contact and get to the line. he would fail then cry, per usual

For every Charles Oakley out there in the 90's there were the Charles Smith's and Chris Dudley's of the NBA soft as ice cream. Superstars getting superstar calls did not originate in 2010..

tholdren
06-12-2014, 09:48 AM
For every Charles Oakley out there in the 90's there were the Charles Smith's and Chris Dudley's of the NBA soft as ice cream. Superstars getting superstar calls did not originate in 2010..

you can SUPERSTAR call a hand-check if it's allowed. Lebron's mental ability would be shot before he even drove. Similarly KD couldnt get separation. Too slow, to weak. John starks could Defend him with a hand check.

And what does charles oakley have to do with defending the perimeter?

dbreiden83080
06-12-2014, 09:54 AM
you can SUPERSTAR call a hand-check if it's allowed. Lebron's mental ability would be shot before he even drove. Similarly KD couldnt get separation. Too slow, to weak. John starks could Defend him with a hand check.

And what does charles oakley have to do with defending the perimeter?

I am talking tough defenders versus soft ones.. And I already told you that great players adjust to the era they play in.. If Ali could make 25 mil every time he fought in the 70's he never would have fought 4 and 5 times in one year.. It is all about the era you compete in..

polandprzem
06-12-2014, 10:17 AM
Try to think of James in a iso plays in an era where there was no zone D

UZER
06-12-2014, 10:28 AM

I think Jordan was the GOAT, but damn after his first ring, you literally couldn't touch the guy while try to play D in the fourth qtr.

There was no zone D, but there was also no 3 seconds on the defender, and big men stayed down low. So there would be a big man waiting to meet him at the rim 9-10 times that included a hard foul 5-10 times.

spurspokesman
06-12-2014, 10:35 AM
It's from boxing. If your hands are down your ass gets knocked out.

Protect yourself at all times

tholdren
06-12-2014, 10:38 AM

It wouldnt matter. Does anyone understand the hand-check? That alone reduces athleticism of the attacker.

If KL could put his hand on Lebron when he was dribbling do you really think he would get to the lane TIME AFTER TIME?

r0drig0lac
06-12-2014, 10:45 AM
Jordan was scoring 40 ppg this was easily weak, would not even funny

r0drig0lac
06-12-2014, 10:56 AM
It wouldnt matter. Does anyone understand the hand-check? That alone reduces athleticism of the attacker.

If KL could put his hand on Lebron when he was dribbling do you really think he would get to the lane TIME AFTER TIME?this, for example lebron simply does not have many moves to beat the defender with handchecking without clear path to the basket, having to invest in its reasonable mid range, your avg, especially FG would fall that's for sure, it would be even better defensively

polandprzem
06-12-2014, 11:00 AM
There was no zone D, but there was also no 3 seconds on the defender, and big men stayed down low. So there would be a big man waiting to meet him at the rim 9-10 times that included a hard foul 5-10 times.
Nope, you could drag big man away from basket staying behind 3pt line

Gervin44Silas13
06-12-2014, 11:06 AM
oh wait....this was a guy that was gambling to the max and then Papa Stern found out and "suspended him"......eeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr took two years off then the leauge coddled him....because if the media found out....the NBA would have been tainted!

Here is a great read and see for your self....

http://hoopshype.com/columns/lazenby/was-michael-jordan-banned-for-gambling

UZER
06-12-2014, 12:55 PM
Nope, you could drag big man away from basket staying behind 3pt line

Again...big men stayed down low in that era. They weren't floating around the three point line like today. Few and far between ever stepped outside the three point line on offense.

polandprzem
06-12-2014, 01:09 PM
Again...big men stayed down low in that era. They weren't floating around the three point line like today. Few and far between ever stepped outside the three point line on offense.
I'm talking defense. nvm anyway

UZER
06-12-2014, 02:08 PM
I'm talking defense. nvm anyway

:lol I'm talking defense too. My point is, the big man on offense stayed down low, they didn't float around the three point line like today, so the defender was always right there camped in the paint waiting at the rim for drives. There was no rule that made them leave the paint.

Saying you would just pull the big man out by standing at the three point was not something that was standard back in the day. It was extremely rare.

peacemaker885
06-12-2014, 02:17 PM
Great comments here. Just want to say that I actually enjoy those Mark Jackson catchphrases. :lol

poop
06-12-2014, 03:18 PM
The game was certainly much tougher back then. Was watching a classic game on NBA TV with the celtics and i forgot who else..but Robert Parish and his defender were battling hard...one time down they got in a scuffle and parish punched the guy in the face straight up and they started fighting. Did he get ejected? No. A flagrant foul? No. A suspension? No. They called a standard foul and continued with the game.
can you imagine Westbrook or Nash playing in that era?? :lmao

polandprzem
06-12-2014, 03:42 PM
:lol I'm talking defense too. My point is, the big man on offense stayed down low, they didn't float around the three point line like today, so the defender was always right there camped in the paint waiting at the rim for drives. There was no rule that made them leave the paint.

Saying you would just pull the big man out by standing at the three point was not something that was standard back in the day. It was extremely rare.

Try to watch some of the bulls game

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-12-2014, 04:09 PM
Jordan got the benefit of so many calls. He was the league and everyone knew it. Watching Bulls playoff games was always tough for me though because if you so much as breathed on Michael he was shooting free throws. The games from the 70s and early 80s were the fun ones to watch, when the teams themselves actually mattered, so there was a little less individual player favoritism, or so it felt.

MJ'd still be dominant today because he was an amazing player, but I don't think any moreso by today's standards.