PDA

View Full Version : Heat: Spoelstra's adjustments?

midnightpulp
06-11-2014, 07:02 PM
The PG issues they're having could be their downfall in this series. Although when Cole got minutes, he looked active and interested, unlike Chalmers who is playing like a zombie.

Does Spo scrap Chalmers out of the rotation all together by starting Cole and then running Wade at backup point (like when the Spurs ran Manu at backup PG)?

Another adjustment I see is Lebron on Leonard. You know James feels slighted by Kawhi outplaying him and will make it a point to go at him hard at both ends. Kawhi could be in for a long night. This is the adjustment that worries me the most. It does get James off Parker, but is Tony ready to drop a 25 point game this series? Get into the lane against the Heat, and it's free points. It's just that their first line is so hard to crack. But Tony should be able to handle Cole/Wade.

Other than those two tweaks, nothing else for Spo to do. He doesn't have the depth to counter the Spurs versatility.

Spurs da champs
06-11-2014, 07:18 PM
Leonard was scoring on LeBron...

DAF86
06-11-2014, 07:28 PM
Cole for Chalmers and I think they should start looking to get more presence inside, Spurs are just getting anything they want on the paint. I know they like that liltte gimmick they have going were their two bigmen can hit threes but is it really that favourable for them when the Spurs are torching them inside on the other end?

Cole, Wade, Lebron, Bosh and Andersen and see how the game goes. They can always go back to plugging all the three point shooters they want alongisde Lebron, tbh.

Spurs da champs
06-11-2014, 07:32 PM
Chalmers is just one of those guys with that big game presence, I wouldn't give up on him yet. Cole provides nice energy & defense, but offensively...:lmao

Mugen
06-11-2014, 07:36 PM
Why would you be worried about Lebron on Leonard? Kawhi is like our 4th or 5th option on offense and a lot of his points yesterday were in the flow of the offense, not like we were spoon feeding him in the post or letting him ISO on the perimeter....

midnightpulp
06-11-2014, 08:06 PM
Why would you be worried about Lebron on Leonard? Kawhi is like our 4th or 5th option on offense and a lot of his points yesterday were in the flow of the offense, not like we were spoon feeding him in the post or letting him ISO on the perimeter....

I just see this a guards and wings series, more wings. Kawhi is probably going to have to be at least the 2nd option. This series has become too fast for Duncan on the offensive end. Every time Timmy touched the ball in the post, the Heat swarmed within a nanosecond. Duncan's points now come off what the offense creates for him, off his cuts and motion. Now, if the Heat counter with Andersen/Bosh (which is unlikely) as their bigs, then we can post Duncan.

Mugen
06-11-2014, 08:18 PM
I just see this a guards and wings series, more wings. Kawhi is probably going to have to be at least the 2nd option. This series has become too fast for Duncan on the offensive end. Every time Timmy touched the ball in the post, the Heat swarmed within a nanosecond. Duncan's points now come off what the offense creates for him, off his cuts and motion. Now, if the Heat counter with Andersen/Bosh (which is unlikely) as their bigs, then we can post Duncan.

Eh, the Spurs have more weapons than Miami does and they don't need Leonard to go off like that again. A high tempo series w/ reliance on wing play favors the Spurs IMO as they're younger on the perimeter and have more depth.

Personally, I'd be thrilled if they took LeBron off Parker due to a flukey game from Kawhi, as there isn't anybody outside of James that can defend TP. I'm not worried about Duncan either as they won't get away with those strips/fouls all series long. He's still getting good touches against smaller defenders....

As far as adjustments Spo can make, I'm not sure if there will be much he can do personnel wise outside of cutting Chalmers' minutes and giving Battier another shot.....

Basically, I don't think there is an adjustment that Miami can make that the Spurs can't counter. The Heat's best adjustment will be being the more desperate team tomorrow which is usually enough for them. But if the Spurs can match that effort, then they should have a good shot of winning the game/series....

Franklin
06-11-2014, 08:20 PM
Move D-Whistle to PG and Allen to the starting lineups. Super fags plus the former Sonics dual stars seem to be the best lineup they can assemble at the time.

Brazil
06-11-2014, 08:21 PM
The PG issues they're having could be their downfall in this series. Although when Cole got minutes, he looked active and interested, unlike Chalmers who is playing like a zombie.

Does Spo scrap Chalmers out of the rotation all together by starting Cole and then running Wade at backup point (like when the Spurs ran Manu at backup PG)?

Another adjustment I see is Lebron on Leonard. You know James feels slighted by Kawhi outplaying him and will make it a point to go at him hard at both ends. Kawhi could be in for a long night. This is the adjustment that worries me the most. It does get James off Parker, but is Tony ready to drop a 25 point game this series? Get into the lane against the Heat, and it's free points. It's just that their first line is so hard to crack. But Tony should be able to handle Cole/Wade.

Other than those two tweaks, nothing else for Spo to do. He doesn't have the depth to counter the Spurs versatility.

Parker scored 21 in game 2, he had 8-9 pos games at more than 20. I believe if heat dare him to score he will be able to make them pay.

ezau
06-11-2014, 09:30 PM
The Spurs almost had a 3-0 lead even if Leonard sucked the first two games. At this point, Lebron is already having a tough time being guarded by Kawhi, and he'll have an even tougher time trying to contain Leonard. The Spurs can win without Leonard's offense as long as GDP goes off and if there's a solid contribution from role players like Diaw, Mills, and of course, Green.

baseline bum
06-11-2014, 09:32 PM
People are overreacting to one game. Still a lot of basketball to be played, and people are crazy if they don't think this Heat team is capable of winning 3 of 4.

hater
06-11-2014, 09:34 PM
let MVPBosh carry the team = title

hater
06-11-2014, 09:35 PM
People are overreacting to one game. Still a lot of basketball to be played, and people are crazy if they don't think this Heat team is capable of winning 3 of 4.

heat will most likely win next 2 forcing Spurs to a must win fateful game 6 in Miami once again. It's fate :cry

Malik Hairston
06-11-2014, 09:35 PM
Leonard shot lights out from the perimeter, he didn't score much off the dribble, tbh..I saw a stat that showed that he made something like 90% of the contested shots he attempted..I'm one of the biggest Kawhi supporters, but I doubt he shoots like that again, and I wouldn't adjust to it if I'm Miami, tbh..

They are still better off with Lebron guarding Parker IMO..

They're also going to continue running Green off the line and forcing him to score inside..

I also expect more touches for Bosh, particularly in the pick&roll..he doesn't really score without being spoon-fed by Lebron, but that duo is deadly together..

Malik Hairston
06-11-2014, 09:36 PM
Their main adjustment will be the same as last year and the year before..hope Lebron dominates..

They will probably attempt to get Leonard and Green, arguably the 2 most valuable players for the Spurs, in foul trouble..the Spurs have been terrible on defense without that duo on the floor together..

midnightpulp
06-11-2014, 09:42 PM
Their main adjustment will be the same as last year and the year before..hope Lebron dominates..

They will probably attempt to get Leonard and Green, arguably the 2 most valuable players for the Spurs, in foul trouble..the Spurs have been terrible on defense without that duo on the floor together..

And I don't think they can win that way. James looks gassed.

We need the next one, though. Lebron gets two days rest between 4 and 5, which could prove huge. Not real comfortable going back to SA 2-2 facing a rested James.

Franklin
06-11-2014, 10:20 PM
Agree we need to do our best and take every game that's possible to take. We may tank a game against Portland but you never afford to do so vs. the cHeat and LeCramp tbh.

TheGoldStandard
06-11-2014, 10:36 PM
Bosh will touch the ball on every possession, he'll either light it up or pass to the open man once they try to cover him. Lebron will be the decoy

mudyez
06-12-2014, 08:18 AM
Move D-Whistle to PG and Allen to the starting lineups. Super fags plus the former Sonics dual stars seem to be the best lineup they can assemble at the time.

Would love that! We could outscore their bench 51:5 like we did with OKC.

I have to agree that any adjustments within the lineup would be overracting. They may play harder. They may defend some of the screens differently (Spurs are always flip flopping their screens). They may play more pick and rolls with LeBron as screener.

ambchang
06-12-2014, 08:38 AM
Didn't Spurs blew out the Heat last year in Game 3 as well? I am not ready to say the Spurs will win it all based on one game in Game 3.

So far, game 1 was basically a seesaw game until LeCramp act up.
Game 2, Lebron went off when Kawhi was in foul group, and yet, the Spurs only lost by 2 due to 4 missed FTs during critical junctures of the game
Game 3, it was lights out shooting by the Spurs. The Heat defense wasn't great, but it wasn't as bad as the 71 point scored by the Spurs indicated. I will probably never see another half, or quarter like that.
In other words, all three games were anomalies, it's just really tough to figure these two teams out, and oddly enough, Game 2, the only Spurs lose so far, was the one game that gives me the most confidence.

mavsfan1000
06-12-2014, 02:38 PM
Move Battier to the starting lineup. Allowing Rashard Lewis to play the 6th man role. Avoid playing the Birdman and Bosh simultaneously. An action to counter the Spurs great bench.

spurraider21
06-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Didn't Spurs blew out the Heat last year in Game 3 as well? I am not ready to say the Spurs will win it all based on one game in Game 3.

So far, game 1 was basically a seesaw game until LeCramp act up.
Game 2, Lebron went off when Kawhi was in foul group, and yet, the Spurs only lost by 2 due to 4 missed FTs during critical junctures of the game
Game 3, it was lights out shooting by the Spurs. The Heat defense wasn't great, but it wasn't as bad as the 71 point scored by the Spurs indicated. I will probably never see another half, or quarter like that.
In other words, all three games were anomalies, it's just really tough to figure these two teams out, and oddly enough, Game 2, the only Spurs lose so far, was the one game that gives me the most confidence.
the 4th quarter of game 1 was similar to the 1st quarter of game 3, except we turned it over more. our offense was scoring at will even before the cramps

spurraider21
06-12-2014, 03:27 PM
Move Battier to the starting lineup. Allowing Rashard Lewis to play the 6th man role. Avoid playing the Birdman and Bosh simultaneously. An action to counter the Spurs great bench.
:lol you were the one who started the "they should start Andersen" thread now you say they should avoid playing him and Bosh together?

mavsfan1000
06-12-2014, 05:23 PM
:lol you were the one who started the "they should start Andersen" thread now you say they should avoid playing him and Bosh together?
Yep I am convinced now that spacing is key for Miami. But their bench is kind of thin. All they got is Ray Allen. Battier would also be a better option against Diaw.

ambchang
06-12-2014, 06:51 PM
the 4th quarter of game 1 was similar to the 1st quarter of game 3, except we turned it over more. our offense was scoring at will even before the cramps

I thought the game was real close until lecramp got out. Also, he was clearly affected the last few minutes in the floor.

spurraider21
06-12-2014, 06:53 PM
I thought the game was real close until lecramp got out. Also, he was clearly affected the last few minutes in the floor.
the score was close but the spurs offense was already scoring at a high rate. miami would have to had matched our output to have a chance.

jimbo
06-12-2014, 06:59 PM
Cole has been one of the worst players in the finals tbh. He overshoots for what he is. I'd rather have Chalmers out there for the sole reason that I'd rather have Bosh taking a shitty shot than Cole.

~O~
06-12-2014, 07:06 PM
What can the Heat throw at the Spurs that the Spurs haven't already adjusted to? LeBron is going to have to score big in this game because you can't adjust to LeBron. That's about it.