PDA

View Full Version : How to take game 4?

skulls138
06-11-2014, 09:28 PM
It seems like every game the team who won before gets full of themselves while the team who lost has the more will to win. How do we reverse this trend and be just as or more hungry than the Heat? Like Pop said, we're not going to shoot that well again, how do we win?

06-11-2014, 09:34 PM
tbh we could have easily won game 2. I don't think we got full of ourselves at all.

Pound the rock
06-11-2014, 09:35 PM
Match their intensity from the get go

Johnny RIngo
06-11-2014, 09:42 PM
It seems like every game the team who won before gets full of themselves while the team who lost has the more will to win. How do we reverse this trend and be just as or more hungry than the Heat? Like Pop said, we're not going to shoot that well again, how do we win?

More like the team who lost makes adjustments. That's usually what happens when a series goes back and forth.

06-11-2014, 09:43 PM
More like the team who lost makes adjustments. That's usually what happens when a series goes back and forth.
This series won't be back and forth, because MIA isn't winning another game.

koriwhat
06-11-2014, 09:46 PM
This series won't be back and forth, because MIA isn't winning another game.

:tu

ironman2886
06-11-2014, 09:52 PM
Attack the rim. Move the ball. Limit TOs.

SnakeBoy
06-11-2014, 10:13 PM
It's really as simple as keeping their composure and sticking with moving the ball on offense and pressuring the Heat on defense.

Spo really showed his weakness at the end of the 3rd when he said his team should play with that level of intensity all game every game. That's simply not possible for a team that can't take it's star off the court without the whole team falling apart. Like OKC with KD, Miami rode Lebron hard all season long to the point where he (like KD) plays extended minutes even in a blowout. I expect Miami will come out of the gate on fire but as long as the Spurs keep their composure and keep the Heat defense moving, Lebron will get gassed and they'll be in position to take over the game in the 2nd half. With a little luck maybe we'll get to see the return of LeCramp.

hater
06-11-2014, 10:23 PM
Take it as a learning lesson and a solid loss IMO

Heat 2014 Champs

Malik Hairston
06-11-2014, 10:27 PM
It's tough to analyze anything from this series, so far, tbh:lol..

Game 1- Spurs have a historically great offensive 4th/Lebron exits the game when Miami was winning

Game 2- Lebron has a historic 2nd half performance/Green and Leonard are in foul trouble

Game 3- Spurs have arguably the greatest 1st half offensive performance in Finals history, putting Miami in a 20-point hole(Green and Leonard shot 11-12 from the field on contested shots, which may never happen again:lol)

The Spurs have been the much superior team when Kawhi and Green are allowed to stay on the floor, but realistically, they could easily be in foul trouble in any game where they're defending Lebron/Wade..

MultiTroll
06-11-2014, 10:31 PM
Team Ball vs Hero Ball and we got this.

TheGoldStandard
06-11-2014, 10:32 PM
Game 4 should be more of the same in terms of ball movement, can't get complacent out there and think that Miami will let them play one on one and win the game. Defense will win this game, it's as if it's been foretold that Bosh will go off and if they can get early whistles for Chalmers to get to the line then that will be icing on the cake. If the Spurs don't over help like the have a tendency to do for no good reason and they stick with the shooters and play the passing lanes they will get an early lead. It will be up to there execution in the 3rd if they can keep this up and they will win this game.

SpurPadre
06-11-2014, 10:35 PM
I'm a little worried that the Spurs had to play a perfect first half to win last night. Is that what it will take to beat them two more times? Not with the way their perimeter D has been playing and Lewis has been killing us from downtown. I also can't expect the Heat to turn it over 20 times at home again. Pop needs to make the proper defensive adjustments and I'm sure he will. I see tomorrow going one of two ways: 1: we establish a big lead and then choke most of it away in the second half only to hold on to a 2-4 point win where Miami has a shot to either win it or tie at the buzzer only to miss or 2: we get blown the fuck out. I have faith that #1 will happen.

SupremeGuy
06-11-2014, 10:35 PM
Just play like we did the first 3 games, tbh. We should probably be up 3 - 0, but fuck it let's just finish the job.

:flag:

SupremeGuy
06-11-2014, 10:38 PM
I'm a little worried that the Spurs had to play a perfect first half to win last night. Is that what it will take to beat them two more times? Not with the way their perimeter D has been playing and Lewis has been killing us from downtown. I also can't expect the Heat to turn it over 20 times at home again. Pop needs to make the proper defensive adjustments and I'm sure he will. I see tomorrow going one of two ways: 1: we establish a big lead and then choke most of it away in the second half only to hold on to a 2-4 point win where Miami has a shot to either win it or tie at the buzzer only to miss or 2: we get blown the fuck out. I have faith that #1 will happen.It's hard as fuck to hold on to a 20 point lead for 3 quarters. It was actually quite impressive that the closest they got was down 7 and we ended up winning by 19.

DAF86
06-11-2014, 10:38 PM
Defense. The fact that the Heat made it a 7 pts game in the second half after the 1st half the Spurs had offensively is worrisome. Step it up on defense, specially on Lebron (sag off, tbh) and on offense keep moving the ball and attacking with purpose.

MultiTroll
06-11-2014, 10:44 PM
It's hard as fuck to hold on to a 20 point lead for 3 quarters. It was actually quite impressive that the closest they got was down 7 and we ended up winning by 19.
The Belli trey was an excellent momentum shot.

SouthernFried
06-11-2014, 10:44 PM
Play like we did in game 3

SpurPadre
06-11-2014, 10:47 PM
It's hard as fuck to hold on to a 20 point lead for 3 quarters. It was actually quite impressive that the closest they got was down 7 and we ended up winning by 19.

It's also hard as fuck to shoot over 75% in one half. We can't expect them to keep doing that to win games, either.

hommeaetage
06-11-2014, 10:56 PM
If I were Pop I'd tell the guys they have yet to put a 48 min defensive game. The heat are basically shooting 50% this series. The two games we've won so far have been on offense. I need to see a game where they can hold the Heat to 44-45% fg

SupremeGuy
06-11-2014, 11:04 PM
It's also hard as fuck to shoot over 75% in one half. We can't expect them to keep doing that to win games, either.We shot over 75 percent in the 4 quarter of game 1. Apparently not THAT hard, tbh.

SupremeGuy
06-11-2014, 11:04 PM
The Belli trey was an excellent momentum shot.True.

SpurPadre
06-11-2014, 11:07 PM
We shot over 75 percent in the 4 quarter of game 1. Apparently not THAT hard, tbh.

Pop would tell you not to keep betting on that happening. We have to find other ways to win tomorrow, tbh.

cd021
06-11-2014, 11:50 PM
-Stay outta foul trouble

-Limit Bosh (9 points and only 12 touches in game 3)

-Hold Wade under 20

-Force Lebron to shoulder the brunt of the load

-Spurs core 4 plays well at the same time for the first time in the Finals (this year and last included)

-Don't go cold from 3 (like being stranded in the desert without a cell phone)

-Make freethrows (see game 6, 2013 & Game 2, 2014)

SnakeBoy
06-11-2014, 11:54 PM

Yep. I know several times in the past I've heard Pop say that a big 1st half lead is a coaches worst nightmare. It was really impressive that they kept composure through that 3rd qtr Miami push and then answered back.

skulls138
06-12-2014, 12:08 AM
Its both really but since they dont know what the adjustments will be, what should the Spurs do or be prepared for from the team who is more desperate and will make these unknown adjustments? I think we have to win the intangible battle. No offensive rebounds, little turnovers, win loose balls, no layups. Our defensive intensity has to match the defensive intensity they obviously are going to bring. This sounds like a low mistake, high defensive game.

Im curious as to what Kawhi's game is going to be like. Not only is their defense going to be tighter on him but James is going to be more motivated to score.

biskvito
06-12-2014, 12:12 AM
Drive to the paint, go to the line, use 3pt moderately

Aztecfan03
06-12-2014, 12:17 AM
-Stay outta foul trouble

-Limit Bosh (9 points and only 12 touches in game 3)

-Hold Wade under 20

-Force Lebron to shoulder the brunt of the load

-Spurs core 4 plays well at the same time for the first time in the Finals (this year and last included)

-Don't go cold from 3 (like being stranded in the desert without a cell phone)

-Make freethrows (see game 6, 2013 & Game 2, 2014)

So have our best offensive game while having one of our best defensive games?

T Park
06-12-2014, 12:29 AM
theyre a few missed FTs in game 2 away from being on the verge of sweeping the heat.

Thats how much better they have been than the Heat so far this series.

TheGoldStandard
06-12-2014, 12:47 AM
Eventually the heat are going to have a shitty night shooting and it will be up to the Spurs to capitalize. Can't take contested jumpers early in the clock. Gotta move the ball and find the open man

Spurs21Fan4Ever
06-12-2014, 12:56 AM
Force LeBron to drive, but don't make sure rotations are in a way that he doesn't have an easy pass to someone ready to shoot a three pointer. On offense, Green and Leonard need to attack the rim more. Those two are honestly the key to winning the series. Game 1, they went off in the 4th quarter. Game 2, Kawhi fouled out and Green spent most of his time on the bench with foul trouble. Game 3, they played great and the Spurs were no match for the Heat. The key is defense though, Miami shows no signs of missing threes, I keep expecting it to happen, but they don't. They actually shot better from three point land than SA in game 3, which is shocking considering the first half performance. You would think they would cool down, but it seems that they won't. So Spurs need to find a way to force LeBron to take difficult shots inside with no easy pass to a perimeter teammate.

ElNono
06-12-2014, 01:14 AM
Just walk into American Airlines Arena, shoot some shots, beat the team you're supposed to beat, rinse, repeat... :lol

Seriously, we'll need a solid effort like Game 6 against OKC. They're obviously are going to come out with desperation to even up the series, and the Spurs will have to shoot well and defend better.

What's clear in this series is that the Spurs have done a good job in keeping the Heat under 100pts... so we're looking for fast-pace, early scoring and putting points on the board. A couple of 30+ pts quarters could put a lot of pressure on the Miami's offense to keep up.

dg7md
06-12-2014, 01:18 AM
theyre a few missed FTs in game 2 away from being on the verge of sweeping the heat.

Thats how much better they have been than the Heat so far this series.

It's really hard to come to terms with this but you are absolutely right — and the Heat haven't even really played terrible in any game so far. It shows how much we're clicking right now and how deep our team is.

I am completely confident that if we can walk into OKC in a game 6 and come out with a victory (without Parker), then we can go into Miami and steal another.

ManuTastic
06-12-2014, 06:36 AM
Play the same as game 3. Seriously, what that means is KEEP MOVING THE BALL. That was the diff between games 2 and 3. On D, keep going after Wade and hope his lazy azz doesn't wake up.

Mal
06-12-2014, 06:41 AM
Score more points than Heat.
Make 20 out of first 21 shots.

DarrinS
06-12-2014, 06:54 AM
I hope Kawhi stays aggressive on offense. That way, the Heat are really gambling if the put Lebron on Tony. If the Spurs keep moving the ball well, they will eventually wear out the Heat.

All that being said, the Heat usually play much better after they get curb stomped.

doobs
06-12-2014, 06:56 AM
Unfortunately Bobby Ramos touched on our secret to victory, so Pop needs to make adjustments

DarrinS
06-12-2014, 07:00 AM
Also, more Diaw 2.0 please

AFBlue
06-12-2014, 07:02 AM
Stay aggressive on O, pushing the ball and staying in constant motion. Avoid foul trouble, especially Danny and Kawhi. Anticipate a very aggressive, desperate Miami Heat team and maintain composure.

Easier said than done, but there they are.

AFBlue
06-12-2014, 07:02 AM
Oh, one more...

Keep the rotation from Game 3, with one exception...replace Bonner minutes with small ball.

06-12-2014, 07:25 AM
If I were Pop I'd tell the guys they have yet to put a 48 min defensive game. The heat are basically shooting 50% this series. The two games we've won so far have been on offense. I need to see a game where they can hold the Heat to 44-45% fg

Even when LeBron went supernova, the Heat didn't crack 100. Pretty good defense if you ask me.

06-12-2014, 07:30 AM
No Marco, and we win. Marco plays and we lose. Same issue, different series.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-12-2014, 07:32 AM
Keep an eye out on Bosh. They didn't go to him at all in game 3, I expect that to be Spoelstra's biggest adjustment.

DarrinS
06-12-2014, 07:34 AM
No Marco, and we win. Marco plays and we lose. Same issue, different series.

He did hit a 3 at EXACTLY the right time in game 3

Horse
06-12-2014, 12:21 PM
Every series the Spurs get to a point where they stop fucking around and the series end. I don't think they've fucked around this series and I don't think they will. Hang around tonight till lebron tires out in the 4th and steal the game. Also back off a little more encouraging the long jumpers he loves on tired legs.

Horse
06-12-2014, 12:24 PM
Even when LeBron went supernova, the Heat didn't crack 100. Pretty good defense if you ask me.

That 3rd quarter when he couldn't miss we still outscored them by 1 that's encouraging.

mclinejr
06-12-2014, 12:29 PM
"Score more points the other team." - :pop:

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-12-2014, 12:33 PM
"Score more points the other team." - :pop:

Just about to write that.

cd021
06-12-2014, 02:51 PM
So have our best offensive game while having one of our best defensive games?

Not really. Keep Bosh from knocking down open jumpers, (Diaw did that pretty well) hold Wade under 20 (his Finals high was 22 in game 3).

If they combine for 35, Lebron probably would need 30-35 points and even then that's probably not enough to get the win. Lewis and Allen would need score 10+ points apiece.

We don't need to play like we did in Game 3 to beat the Heat. Just limit turnovers, knock down free throws and execute like normal and we should have a good shot to win.

cd021
06-12-2014, 02:52 PM
He did hit a 3 at EXACTLY the right time in game 3

That shot was clutch (even though there was 14 minutes left in the game), helped us carry a 11 point lead into the 4th.

Budkin
06-12-2014, 02:54 PM
If the Spurs want it bad enough they will take it. That's pretty much it.

Beaverfuzz
06-12-2014, 02:56 PM
Take it up the poop chute of course!

hyhy
06-12-2014, 02:59 PM
Score more points than Heat.
Make 20 out of first 21 shots.

Why not make that 21 out of 21

Spurs 4 The Win
06-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Refs will be out in full force tonight, we will need to execute very well to be in the game at the end

UZER
06-12-2014, 03:28 PM
Miami shot 58% up until there was about 3 min to go in the first half. Their problem was turnovers. The spurs just have to keep the same pressure on them all game on offense and defense with their deep rotations.

The heat bench is getting smaller and smaller. If Chalmers plays poorly again, spo might be forced to pull the plug on him.

admiralsnackbar
06-12-2014, 03:35 PM
Defend in transition. Protect passing lanes. Exploit Miami's weakness in the post. Hear the lamentation of their women.

06-12-2014, 03:43 PM
The same way the Spurs need to win in any game against the Heat: build a sizable lead before the last five minutes of the game. If the Spurs get into a knife fight with Lebron down in the trenches, the Heat will win.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-12-2014, 04:05 PM
As others have said, if the Spurs youth can stay in the game and are allowed by the refs to stay aggressive I like our chances.

CosmicCowboy
06-12-2014, 05:30 PM
Heat will be gunning for KL tonight. Someone else will need to put on the saddle and carry this team. Diaw? Parker? Manu? With the Spurs ball movement and spread it's pick your poison for the Heat. Spurs just have to deliver.

cd021
06-12-2014, 08:21 PM
Oh, one more...

Keep the rotation from Game 3, with one exception...replace Bonner minutes with small ball.

Apparently we've been killed playing small (based on a few articles i've read. Pop probably knows as much and added him as the 4th big for 5-10 minutes. Even if he isn't knocking down shots, they wouldn't dare leave him open, nor Green.

biskvito
06-12-2014, 08:27 PM
Spurs loses when they stop driving to the basket and start shooting mostly 3pts. You're not going to beat Miami without hustle, physical plays, going to the line. Shooting 3pt every damn possession is just avoiding the hustle.