PDA

View Full Version : The Amnesty Rule has just no sense

marcus
08-15-2005, 09:32 PM
I say the amnesty rule is stupid because the team who fires a player by this rule eliminates the taxes counting against the player's contract but still has the contract paying against them. :rolleyes

What i am trying to say here is that if the taxes is what matters then it would be more reasonable if a team picks one player by this rule but then keep him instead of firing him.

By how this rule works now ,we find players like Finley getting fired from their team and then signing for minimum with a team like Miami. Moreover, the player wins even more money.

marcus
08-15-2005, 09:41 PM
Actually, i will add something before someone says "shaq". It should be without firing the player but up to a limit salary so shaq would not apply.

Mark in Austin
08-15-2005, 09:43 PM
anybody have a ducks-english translator?

Guru of Nothing
08-15-2005, 10:00 PM
It would have saved me a lot of time if I read this thread from the bottom-up.

Rick Von Braun
08-15-2005, 10:20 PM
marcus,

I didn't completely understand what your wrote, but here is my attempt to clarify the amnesty rule.

The rule benefits teams that have made bad decisions in the past. It allows them to save them money by waiving players with large contracts that put the team over the luxury tax threshold for the forseable future.

You do not want those teams to keep the players they waive. It is bad enough that you allow those teams to use the rule in the first place, let alone keeping the players as well.

The great beneficiaries are the waived players, even with the restrictions to double dipping, they will still earn more dough.

Hopefully this clarifies things for you.

marcus
08-15-2005, 11:05 PM
marcus,

I didn't completely understand what your wrote, but here is my attempt to clarify the amnesty rule.

The rule benefits teams that have made bad decisions in the past. It allows them to save them money by waiving players with large contracts that put the team over the luxury tax threshold for the forseable future.

You do not want those teams to keep the players they waive. It is bad enough that you allow those teams to use the rule in the first place, let alone keeping the players as well.

The great beneficiaries are the waived players, even with the restrictions to double dipping, they will still earn more dough.

Hopefully this clarifies things for you.

You didn't mention that the salaries still count against the salary cap.

Manu20
08-15-2005, 11:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2135039

Under a one-time amnesty provision in the NBA's new labor contract, the Mavericks saved $51 million in luxury taxes over the next three years by waiving Finley, who became an unrestricted free agent.

Obstructed_View
08-15-2005, 11:35 PM
Luxury tax on an overblown guaranteed contract is throwing good money after bad. The amnesty rule allows teams to cut their losses. I'm sure Mavs fans are relieved they don't have to pay 20 bucks more per ticket just to pay for the luxury taxes on Fin's contract for the next three years. It's possible that Fin can be a big contributor again once he's healthy.

Personally, I'd love to see him go to Miami and watch the team implode.

DesiSpur_21
08-16-2005, 12:43 AM
It'd have been great if the team retained the rights of thewaived-player and controls where he'd sign. This way you don't allow the guy to go to your div/key opponent.

Imagine if Finley goes to Spurs or Suns :lol

Vashner
08-16-2005, 10:56 AM
Getting stacks of millions to play a fun game does not make sense either but... Welcome to AMERIKA!

Rick Von Braun
08-16-2005, 11:13 AM
You didn't mention that the salaries still count against the salary cap. Yes, that is a given. They rule does not creates cap space (it would be incredibly unfair for the rest of the teams!), and the teams using the rule still have to pay the remaining of the player's contract.

The amnesty rule is not as stupid as you mentioned in the original post. Teams over the tax threshold can save a significant amount of money.

SenorSpur
08-16-2005, 11:42 AM
Agree. The teams that were responsible for granting those "ridiculous" contracts, should not be allowed a reprieve. Tax breaks? OK. Cap space? No.

benjirh
08-16-2005, 12:09 PM
This can benefit ALL teams, not just those over the tax. Most of the teams in this league have made bad contracts over the years. It is a mulligan that all the owners were fine with.

Supergirl
08-16-2005, 03:08 PM
The purpose is to keep the league competitive. In the past, a team could make a bad financial decision, and then dig themselves into a hole and never be able to rebuild. Now, theoretically, they can make a bad decision (overpaying a player) and be better able to rebuild.

Of course, teams with lots of money (NY!) can continue to make bad decisions, exploit the amnesty rule, and never learn from it, and don't care whether they're over the salary cap. Sucks most for the NY fans...

Vashner
08-16-2005, 04:57 PM
It's call the.. "damn the spurs won with foreign players it's time to dump some old legs"... rule...

benjirh
08-16-2005, 05:31 PM
The purpose is to keep the league competitive. In the past, a team could make a bad financial decision, and then dig themselves into a hole and never be able to rebuild. Now, theoretically, they can make a bad decision (overpaying a player) and be better able to rebuild.

Of course, teams with lots of money (NY!) can continue to make bad decisions, exploit the amnesty rule, and never learn from it, and don't care whether they're over the salary cap. Sucks most for the NY fans...

You do realize this was a one time deal right? This will not be available ever again.

DDS4
08-16-2005, 07:15 PM
One great thing: Mark Cuban is going to pay the price for overpaying Finley.

Cuban released him, a conference foe or elite team is going to pick him up.