PDA

View Full Version : Since last Spurs title

TE
06-13-2014, 12:40 PM
2008 - Lost in the WCF to our bitter rival Lakers after winning a crazy game seven series versus a Hornets team that just couldn't miss at home. Players like Ime Udoka, Vaughn, a tired Bowen, washed up Finley, washed up Robert Horry...:lmao Kurt Thomas all receiving rotation minutes...

I remember after getting bounced after that game 5 how old and washed up the team looked collectively tbh. Was depressing as shit...

2009 - Lost in five to another heated rival in the Mavericks. Finley was still on the roster as was Bowen...two players that probably should've retired after the previous year's bitter end to the season. Lmao this was the Roger Mason year. LMAO Drew Gooden actually got rotation minutes for a time...Manu went down which resulted in him being out for the playoffs...who knows? Maybe we could've challenged the Mavs that year had Manu played.

2010 - After beating the Mavs in a rematch the Spurs were skunked out of the playoffs in embarrassing fashion to the Suns who had a Goran Dragic dominate in that one notorious shooting display. This was the year that the Spurs finished seventh and I remember everybody saying they preferred the Mavs despite the low seed (due to the rivalry). Dark times featuring rotation minutes for Dick Jefferson, the centerpiece Keith Bogans, an old washed up McDyess...birth of the turd towers...holy shit how did we manage to beat the Mavs that year?

2011 - Came out like gangbusters to start the season...fizzled out after the All-Star break and drew a hungry Grizzlies team. All in all probably the most embarrassing years during this time span. Losing to an eighth seed was just indescribably bad. That Manu injury on the last game of the season was just the start of the end. Even if we would've beat the Grizzlies that year, I don't see how we would've been able to overcome OKC that year. OKC probably would've beat us tbh. Speaking hypotheticals of course.

:depressed the memory of Randolph going apeshit on the entire Spurs frontline...Gasol dominating Timmy...Allen, Vasquez and Sam fucking Young of all people hitting jumpshot after jumpshot...relying on a Hail Mary Gary Neal three at the buzzer to stay alive in a Game five at home...man lol

Dick Jefferson was still on the team...as was McDyess, an inconsistent George hill etc. Turd towers were alive and well.

2012 - The team was relatively consistent throughout the season...then they racked up 10 straight to finish the season (some of those games were won by reserves only). Swept a hapless Utah jazz team and an up and down Clippers team...then winning two straight at home against OKC...sigh, then you know the rest of the story.

:vomit: losing that game 5 at home...then getting dicked by officiating to end our season in game 6.

2013 - 6 (28 seconds away) and Game 7...............

I know we haven't had it as bad as other fanbases...but it's been a long time since 2007. 7 long years to be exact...

Finish the the damn job, Spurs. It's your time to win.

T Park
06-13-2014, 01:07 PM
2008, they weren't that far off from going back to the finals against Boston tbh. Had a 20 point lead in game 1 against LA. They win that game, an already in fighting Lakers team implodes. Oh well.

davidbowie
06-13-2014, 01:10 PM
did twitter exist in '07

spursparker9
06-13-2014, 01:11 PM
Yeah 2008 to 2011 was really a dark period. Especially 2009, 2010 and 2011.

It all started to turn in 2012 after the Stephen Jackson trade and signed Boris Diaw. Suddenly the Spurs can pass the ball and we saw the first glimpse of the present magnificent ball movement.

TE
2008, they weren't that far off from going back to the finals against Boston tbh. Had a 20 point lead in game 1 against LA. They win that game, an already in fighting Lakers team implodes. Oh well.
What are you talking about? They were down 3-1 to a clearly more talented (and up and coming team) in the Lakers. That 20 point lead was fools gold. We had already seen them give up a 20 point lead in Game one.

:depressed the wheels fell off that game 5... I don't think they would've had a chance against Boston tbh. Just my opinion.

TE
did twitter exist in '07
Yes

Jenks
06-13-2014, 01:14 PM
Fucking Dragic

Beaverfuzz
06-13-2014, 01:15 PM
7 years is nothing, some teams have gone quite longer than that with not even a sniff of the Finals. Perspective.

:flag:
:lobt2:

poop
06-13-2014, 01:16 PM
2008- spurs beat an extremely underrated Hornets team in 7, on the road, after being down 3-2. THE NEXT SERIES BEGAN THE VERY NEXT DAY...no day off at all before facing the Lakers, a total screwjob by the nba. Also, the spurs had to SPEND THAT NIGHT SLEEPING IN THE PLANE on the tarmac due to some fluky shit. Talk about a total screw over

timtonymanu
06-13-2014, 01:17 PM
If the Spurs can win the title this year, those past years will be an afterthought.

TE
06-13-2014, 01:17 PM
7 years is nothing, some teams have gone quite longer than that with not even a sniff of the Finals. Perspective.

:flag:
:lobt2:
yeah I know but we aren't other fanbases. The natural tendency is to get greedy and I'm greedy as fuck right now

TE
06-13-2014, 01:18 PM
2008- spurs beat an extremely underrated Hornets team in 7, on the road, after being down 3-2. THE NEXT SERIES BEGAN THE VERY NEXT DAY...no day off at all before facing the Lakers, a total screwjob by the nba. Also, the spurs had to SPEND THAT NIGHT SLEEPING IN THE PLANE on the tarmac due to some fluky shit. Talk about a total screw over
Yep. And the Spurs still managed to get a 20 point lead in Game one...and blow it.

Mr. Body
06-13-2014, 01:22 PM
Great bit of history you've put together. I'm amazed they were able to keep Parker, Ginobili and Duncan until they built the sidepieces back together.

06-13-2014, 01:28 PM
The era of he-who-must-not-be-named was indeed dark. Hope the Spurs never make that kind of mistake again.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
06-13-2014, 01:39 PM
Losing to Memphis in 2011 sucked, but I do remember Duncan was on a bum ankle and was nowhere near 100% and Manu literally played with 1 arm, and still was amazing. The crucial game in that series was game 1 which Memphis got lucky to win with some fluke shots at the end, and Manu missed that game. If the Spurs were healthy and if RJ wasn't on his period, they probably would've won that series, though they would not have beaten Dallas that year, and they probably would've lose to OKC too.

Budkin
06-13-2014, 01:41 PM
did twitter exist in '07

Yep, it actually became a "thing" at SXSW in Austin in March 2007.

TE
06-13-2014, 01:43 PM
Losing to Memphis in 2011 sucked, but I do remember Duncan was on a bum ankle and was nowhere near 100% and Manu literally played with 1 arm, and still was amazing. The crucial game in that series was game 1 which Memphis got lucky to win with some fluke shots at the end, and Manu missed that game. If the Spurs were healthy and if RJ wasn't on his period, they probably would've won that series, though they would not have beaten Dallas that year, and they probably would've lose to OKC too.
Memphis hit fluky shots throughout all of Game one. Sam Young and Tony Allen were hitting spot up midrange J's. A rookie Grievis Vasquez was channeling his inner Dragic, too...

Budkin
06-13-2014, 01:44 PM
2008 - Lost in the WCF to our bitter rival Lakers after winning a crazy game seven series versus a Hornets team that just couldn't miss at home. Players like Ime Udoka, Vaughn, a tired Bowen, washed up Finley, washed up Robert Horry...:lmao Kurt Thomas all receiving rotation minutes...

I remember after getting bounced after that game 5 how old and washed up the team looked collectively tbh. Was depressing as shit...

2009 - Lost in five to another heated rival in the Mavericks. Finley was still on the roster as was Bowen...two players that probably should've retired after the previous year's bitter end to the season. Lmao this was the Roger Mason year. LMAO Drew Gooden actually got rotation minutes for a time...Manu went down which resulted in him being out for the playoffs...who knows? Maybe we could've challenged the Mavs that year had Manu played.

2010 - After beating the Mavs in a rematch the Spurs were skunked out of the playoffs in embarrassing fashion to the Suns who had a Goran Dragic dominate in that one notorious shooting display. This was the year that the Spurs finished seventh and I remember everybody saying they preferred the Mavs despite the low seed (due to the rivalry). Dark times featuring rotation minutes for Dick Jefferson, the centerpiece Keith Bogans, an old washed up McDyess...birth of the turd towers...holy shit how did we manage to beat the Mavs that year?

2011 - Came out like gangbusters to start the season...fizzled out after the All-Star break and drew a hungry Grizzlies team. All in all probably the most embarrassing years during this time span. Losing to an eighth seed was just indescribably bad. That Manu injury on the last game of the season was just the start of the end. Even if we would've beat the Grizzlies that year, I don't see how we would've been able to overcome OKC that year. OKC probably would've beat us tbh. Speaking hypotheticals of course.

:depressed the memory of Randolph going apeshit on the entire Spurs frontline...Gasol dominating Timmy...Allen, Vasquez and Sam fucking Young of all people hitting jumpshot after jumpshot...relying on a Hail Mary Gary Neal three at the buzzer to stay alive in a Game five at home...man lol

Dick Jefferson was still on the team...as was McDyess, an inconsistent George hill etc. Turd towers were alive and well.

2012 - The team was relatively consistent throughout the season...then they racked up 10 straight to finish the season (some of those games were won by reserves only). Swept a hapless Utah jazz team and an up and down Clippers team...then winning two straight at home against OKC...sigh, then you know the rest of the story.

:vomit: losing that game 5 at home...then getting dicked by officiating to end our season in game 6.

I know we haven't had it as bad as other fanbases...but it's been a long time since 2007. 7 long years to be exact...

This list is why I'm not celebrating until we've actually won the title. Every year it's been heartbreak after heartbreak getting increasingly worse the last 4 years. Please Basketball Gods, please let us exorcise these demons on Sunday.

TampaDude
06-13-2014, 01:49 PM
This list is why I'm not celebrating until we've actually won the title. Every year it's been heartbreak after heartbreak getting increasingly worse the last 4 years. Please Basketball Gods, please let us exorcise these demons on Sunday.

^ this

The only thing that could be worse than 6 would be for the Spurs to take a 3-1 series lead in dominating fashion, only to choke away the next three games and lose the Finals again to the Heat, who would then also have 4 rings including a 3-peat, including 2 in a row at the Spurs' expense. I am absolutely terrified of that happening. It would mean there is no justice in the universe. I won't even be able to watch Game 5 (or 6 or 7, if necessary).

houston spurs fan
06-13-2014, 01:59 PM
^^these. Any of other 29 fan bases would be elated, jumping up and down in excitement and happiness coming home up 3-1. Spurs fans no. We sit quietly hoping, saying "dear God let it be real this year", nervous in anticipation for game 5. Thinking about the last 7 years, all the hours spent watching and heartache of defeat each year. Let it be this year, let's put one more up in the rafters.

silverblk mystix
06-13-2014, 02:01 PM

POP pulling Bowen off of Kobe with the Spurs in the lead....then Kobe gets hot...the rest is history....thanks Pop!

Pop screwing the entire Spurs organization with his LOVE for Finley and his disrespect of Bowen --- thanks Pop!

POP with his "centerpiece" embarrassment = and his "Bonner Love" - thanks POP!!!!

POP benching Splitter all season long and fellating BONNER - then panicking in the playoffs when the genius realized "size" was important on a basketball team - thanks POP!!!!!

Pop making ZERO adjustments - after little Scotti Brooks put Sefalosha on parker - and POP instilling the - "we will save our stars for the playoffs and pamper them 24/7" - while KD and Westbrook played 45 plus minutes - thanks Pop!!!!!

POP happened - after the team (players) win the title and all pop had to do was loosen his tie - and allow the players to finish the last 28 seconds - and get the ring - nope - Pop happened - thanks Pop!!!!!

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

TampaDude
06-13-2014, 02:02 PM
^^these. Any of other 29 fan bases would be elated, jumping up and down in excitement and happiness coming home up 3-1. Spurs fans no. We sit quietly hoping, saying "dear God let it be real this year", nervous in anticipation for game 5. Thinking about the last 7 years, all the hours spent watching and heartache of defeat each year. Let it be this year, let's put one more up in the rafters.

Yup...as likely as it seems that we're finally gonna hang that 5th banner, the little voice in my head says that if any team is gonna be the first in NBA history to choke away a 3-1 Finals lead, it will be the Spurs.

I'll feel better when it's finally over and we can all exhale.

Budkin
06-13-2014, 02:02 PM
^ this

The only thing that could be worse than 6 would be for the Spurs to take a 3-1 series lead in dominating fashion, only to choke away the next three games and lose the Finals again to the Heat, who would then also have 4 rings including a 3-peat, including 2 in a row at the Spurs' expense. I am absolutely terrified of that happening. It would mean there is no justice in the universe. I won't even be able to watch Game 5 (or 6 or 7, if necessary).

I swear man, our minds have been beaten with a hammer the last 7 years by this league. Even when it's clearly obvious that the Spurs are locked in and just demolishing the Heat I still can't be convinced they are going to win. Call me a pussy but that's just the way it is until we have that trophy in our hands. If we win I think I'm going to break down (in a good way).

TE
06-13-2014, 02:04 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao
Damn you sbm you just had to do that huh lol

TE
06-13-2014, 02:06 PM
tbh lurking on other forums and the love (and appreciation) for the Spurs is reaching some chartered territories. Even people over on lakersground sound like they're masturbating to watching the Spurs execution (and not cause of a hate for Lebron).

Is this real fucking life? Tbh

TE
06-13-2014, 02:12 PM
I swear man, our minds have been beaten with a hammer the last 7 years by this league. Even when it's clearly obvious that the Spurs are locked in and just demolishing the Heat I still can't be convinced they are going to win. Call me a pussy but that's just the way it is until we have that trophy in our hands. If we win I think I'm going to break down (in a good way).
yeah I'll break down too, tbh...it's probably the last time we'll ever ring all things considered...tbh there's still a chance I might go to the game so there's that

baseline bum
06-13-2014, 02:20 PM

The Spurs are going to close it this time. Have you seen anything this series to indicate the Spurs are not the better team? Last year I was nervous as fuck up 13 in the third quarter of 6 and up 5 with 28.2 because I knew Miami was the better team, and they really were. The Spurs were winning with a gimmick defense against a team that refused to make Danny Green put the ball on the floor. This year the Spurs are guarding everyone, Green has drastically improved his driving game, and most importantly Ginobili is in way better shape.

Budkin
06-13-2014, 02:22 PM
The Spurs are going to close it this time. Have you seen anything this series to indicate the Spurs are not the better team? Last year I was nervous as fuck up 13 in the third quarter of 6 and up 5 with 28.2 because I knew Miami was the better team, and they really were. The Spurs were winning with a gimmick defense against a team that refused to make Danny Green put the ball on the floor. This year the Spurs are guarding everyone, Green has drastically improved his driving game, and most importantly Ginobili is in way better shape.

Nope, haven't seen anything to indicate otherwise, just a pessimistic fuck, lol. LET'S DO THIS!!!

TampaDude
06-13-2014, 02:24 PM

Yes...as long as we're not the first team in NBA history to blow a 3-1 Finals lead, it's all good.

SpurPadre
06-13-2014, 02:30 PM
If the Spurs can win the title this year, those past years will be an afterthought.

Except that it's too bad we're not talking about that elusive back-to-back World Champions title. Oh well, maybe next year we will

TampaDude
06-13-2014, 02:34 PM
Except that it's too bad we're not talking about that elusive back-to-back World Champions title. Oh well, maybe next year we will

If we had won the title last year, there is NFW we would've been on a mission this year like we are. Fuck the B2B, I just want #5, dammit! :lol

SpurPadre
06-13-2014, 02:40 PM
If we had won the title last year, there is NFW we would've been on a mission this year like we are. Fuck the B2B, I just want #5, dammit! :lol

Yeah, it's all about #5 right now, no doubt.

houston spurs fan
06-13-2014, 09:07 PM
Let's do this.

100%duncan
06-13-2014, 09:18 PM
Man that's some depressing shit.

cjw
06-13-2014, 09:19 PM

There was a day off between the series. Game 7 was on 5/19 and Game 1 was on 5/21. Plane story though did effectively make it a next day affair after losing a day of sleep though.

dg7md
06-13-2014, 09:28 PM
The 2009-2011 years in particular are a blur to me. While we had it good compared to most teams (making the playoffs each year since Tim, etc.), those years were brutal as we just didn't have the talent to compete. I watched almost every game from 2003 until 2008, but I dropped off watching games significantly until we got back into contender shape in 2012.

:lol Vaughn
:lol Udoka
:lol Jefferson
:lol McDyess
:lol Mason

We've come a long way tbh... and it probably took us being shitty those years compared to our expected results to end up back where we are now.

Mikeanaro
06-13-2014, 09:45 PM
Last year we were robbed too much flop and bad calls going on, I think the whole repeat thing is overrated and teams that achieve it usually were media darlings.

Knoxxx
06-13-2014, 09:56 PM
The 2009-2011 years in particular are a blur to me. While we had it good compared to most teams (making the playoffs each year since Tim, etc.), those years were brutal as we just didn't have the talent to compete. I watched almost every game from 2003 until 2008, but I dropped off watching games significantly until we got back into contender shape in 2012.

I suffered through it all, but what I recall the most from 2009-2011 was Duncan limping around looking done. When he came back to life in 2012, I knew immediately we could be on the cusp of something special. We could have easily be the team that was going for the 3-peat.

DarrinS
06-13-2014, 10:25 PM
Damn, this thread brought back a lot of memories, but there was some schadenfreude in some years when Spurs got bounced:

2004: Gary Peyton and Karl Malone go to the Lakers and get back door swept by the Pistons

2006: Mavs get back door swept by Wade and refs. Shaq rings before Kobe. Initially happy about this series, I would later change my mind and realize that Mavs got seriously jobbed in that series.

2008: Celtics beat Lakers in 6. In game 4, Lakers had a 35-14 1st quarter lead and had an epic meltdown and lost.

2011: Mavs defeat Heatles. Also enjoyed Mavs destroying Lakers. Lol, Bynum meltdown.

2012: Heat defeat OKC

tholdren
06-13-2014, 10:28 PM
I was so pissed when we tried Kurt Thomas, then turned around and signed mcDoosh. Almost as frustrating as the Bonner and Finley infatuations.

DarrinS
06-13-2014, 10:33 PM
I was so pissed when we tried Kurt Thomas, then turned around and signed mcDoosh. Almost as frustrating as the Bonner and Finley infatuations.

07 Finley still had the goods

tholdren
06-13-2014, 10:57 PM
07 Finley still had the goods

In 2007 mike finley was a 9ppg and 2rpg 1apg player who shot 36% from three. Dude wasnt even close to as good as Brent Barry that year. Vaughn shot a higher FG% and Horry and Barry had more steals. He was washed up, but a good role player. Far from bearing any type of good.

heyheymymy
06-14-2014, 01:41 AM
Yep. And the Spurs still managed to get a 20 point lead in Game one...and blow it.

classic 06 thru 08 spurs, run the lead up to 20, coast it all away, and build it back up (or lose it)

SanDiegoSpursFan
06-14-2014, 01:47 AM
RMJ sucked but he was good before Pop tried to make him a point guard.

Leetonidas
06-14-2014, 01:49 AM
It's interesting to the literally see the Spurs crawling back up closer to the title through the last 7 years. Get beat in the WCF after their title and proceed to get beat in the first round the next season. After that they get past the Mavs but get swatted by the Suns and skunked by the Grizzlies the following year. Then they dominate up until the WCF and get backdoor swept and proceed to almost win the title the next season before having it ripped away by Ray Allen, and now they are curb stomping Miami with one win away from #5 and 2 out of 3 possible games remaining.

It's lookin good fellas

Sean Cagney
06-14-2014, 01:53 AM

Some announcers or after the game said in 08 after game one that was the series, I tried to deny it but in the end they were right as far as that blown lead went. If we win that game it's a different series no doubt, damn. Oh well indeed.

Sean Cagney
06-14-2014, 01:57 AM
In 2007 mike finley was a 9ppg and 2rpg 1apg player who shot 36% from three. Dude wasnt even close to as good as Brent Barry that year. Vaughn shot a higher FG% and Horry and Barry had more steals. He was washed up, but a good role player. Far from bearing any type of good.

Finley then at the time had a Spurs record for threes in the playoffs I believe so...... Yes he fell off some but he still had the goods like someone said. Brent Barry was good that year indeed, but that year Finley still had something in the tank and hit a ton of threes in those playoffs.

aal04
06-14-2014, 02:06 AM
Well, RJ is gone.

heyheymymy
06-14-2014, 02:08 AM
Finley then at the time had a Spurs record for threes in the playoffs I believe so...... Yes he fell off some but he still had the goods like someone said. Brent Barry was good that year indeed, but that year Finley still had something in the tank and hit a ton of threes in those playoffs.

yeah in the game against the nuggets in the first round of the 07 playoffs, fin hit like 8/9 from three it was epic.

i remember nba live 07 fin drained that corner 3 all the time, fin, bowen, barry, horry, manu all draining threes in 07 was killer.

it was all down hill after 07 though for fin as well as bowen, barry and horry imo.

Prime Time
06-14-2014, 02:30 AM
I actually didn't become a fan until the '07-'08 season. I was in-and-out throughout the year, but after that Game 1 against Phoenix - you could see why I got addicted afterwards :lol

With that said, it really surprises me that your entire post is referred to as the "Dark Era" of the past 20 years or so. When to be honest, I thought it was a pretty damn good time (bare with me here.)

From '08-'11 the Spurs made the playoffs EVERY year, they pulled of a huge upset against the Mavericks, they made the WCF, they gained a 60-win season, add in 3 HoF players, Pop, George Hill, Blair getting all-rookie awards, overall it was much more than what 50-70% of other NBA teams accomplished during that time period.

With that said - these past 3 years have been a BLAST for me as a fan. I never knew what it was like to have good perimeter defense (thank you Finley/Mason/Jefferson) so when Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green came out of nowhere it felt surreal, for once the Spurs had the right assets to contain other teams. Splitter got more minutes, Neal/Mills fell from the sky, Pop got an attitude adjustment, suddenly the Spurs have 3 consecutive WCF appearances along with 2 conference titles - last year they were 28 seconds away from winning the ship, this year they have 3 more tries to close it out. Other than a dynasty, what more could a fan ask for? Especially one of a small-market city.

The entire purpose of this post is how it AMAZES me how some of these fans still aren't satisfied with their team. And I'm talking about the ones who witnessed 3-4 NBA championships.

"0.4 :cry"
"Manu costed us 2006 :cry"
"Hero-ball :cry"
"6 :cry"

Are all common complaints. My question is, why? Why do you all focus on every negative part of the Spurs' history, acting like they have "bad-luck." They aren't in Los Angeles, or Boston, Miami, Chicago, etc. the fact they can even get so far every year is amazing on it's own.

For every .4 or 6, there's the Memorial Day Miracle. Or Robert Horry's Game 5. Or Game 6 against Dallas in '03. I want the championship as bad as everyone else, but the 'woe is me' shit is getting really old.

Spurs da champs
06-14-2014, 02:32 AM
While the Spurs were likely going to lose to the Lakers (helped that the Lakers coasted against the Thuggets & Jazz, Boozer's nuts shriveled up in the playoffs, particularly against the Lakers) that year anyway, wasn't the layoff after the 7 game series against the Hornets pretty short?...IIRC Manu was banged up per the par, & that series against New Orleans was just awful, the only competitive game was game 7, the home teams prior to that had blowouts. Those 08-09 Spurs teams were as ancient as it got...this team from this season & last would have annihilated those back to back title Fakers, & would have a great series against the 08 Celtics, beating them in 7, imo.

dg7md
06-14-2014, 02:50 AM
It's interesting to the literally see the Spurs crawling back up closer to the title through the last 7 years. Get beat in the WCF after their title and proceed to get beat in the first round the next season. After that they get past the Mavs but get swatted by the Suns and skunked by the Grizzlies the following year. Then they dominate up until the WCF and get backdoor swept and proceed to almost win the title the next season before having it ripped away by Ray Allen, and now they are curb stomping Miami with one win away from #5 and 2 out of 3 possible games remaining.

It's lookin good fellas

Unless we get backdoor swept here and then return to the Finals again next year to finally win it in a sweep. :lol Then we would have almost encountered all possibilities to losing before finally winning one.

Rapper
06-14-2014, 02:51 AM

Unfortunately your nightmare memories will be added one more

The 2014 - spurs lead the series by 3-1 afterwards the heat win 2 games in a row to force a game 7 at AT&T center LBJ scores 50+12+9 something like that in game 7 and makes a historical 3 pointer buzzer beater to win the championship 3 years in a row in 2OT

will it be a worst memory of all time?

dg7md
06-14-2014, 02:52 AM
I actually didn't become a fan until the '07-'08 season. I was in-and-out throughout the year, but after that Game 1 against Phoenix - you could see why I got addicted afterwards :lol

With that said, it really surprises me that your entire post is referred to as the "Dark Era" of the past 20 years or so. When to be honest, I thought it was a pretty damn good time (bare with me here.)

From '08-'11 the Spurs made the playoffs EVERY year, they pulled of a huge upset against the Mavericks, they made the WCF, they gained a 60-win season, add in 3 HoF players, Pop, George Hill, Blair getting all-rookie awards, overall it was much more than what 50-70% of other NBA teams accomplished during that time period.

With that said - these past 3 years have been a BLAST for me as a fan. I never knew what it was like to have good perimeter defense (thank you Finley/Mason/Jefferson) so when Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green came out of nowhere it felt surreal, for once the Spurs had the right assets to contain other teams. Splitter got more minutes, Neal/Mills fell from the sky, Pop got an attitude adjustment, suddenly the Spurs have 3 consecutive WCF appearances along with 2 conference titles - last year they were 28 seconds away from winning the ship, this year they have 3 more tries to close it out. Other than a dynasty, what more could a fan ask for? Especially one of a small-market city.

The entire purpose of this post is how it AMAZES me how some of these fans still aren't satisfied with their team. And I'm talking about the ones who witnessed 3-4 NBA championships.

"0.4 :cry"
"Manu costed us 2006 :cry"
"Hero-ball :cry"
"6 :cry"

Are all common complaints. My question is, why? Why do you all focus on every negative part of the Spurs' history, acting like they have "bad-luck." They aren't in Los Angeles, or Boston, Miami, Chicago, etc. the fact they can even get so far every year is amazing on it's own.

For every .4 or 6, there's the Memorial Day Miracle. Or Robert Horry's Game 5. Or Game 6 against Dallas in '03. I want the championship as bad as everyone else, but the 'woe is me' shit is getting really old.

Fair points and great attitude, tbh... but you just wouldn't know unless you've been through all of them like we have. It sucks to endure all of that, knowing that we could have had 6 or 7 titles by now if not for occurrences like those. We would have beaten the Heat in the 2006 Finals for sure... but I'm for sure we could have given the Pistons a run for their money in 2004. We probably would have beaten the Heat in 2012 as well tbh...

-21-
06-14-2014, 03:12 AM
I remember thinking back in 2009 that it was all over. Manu couldn't stay healthy and we had Bowen, Finley, and Kurt Thomas looking like grandpas. I believe our other key players were Roger Mason, Matt Bonner, and Ime Udoka. Actually got me excited when we traded for RJ. :lol

Rapper
06-14-2014, 03:16 AM
I remember thinking back in 2009 that it was all over. Manu couldn't stay healthy and we had Bowen, Finley, and Kurt Thomas looking like grandpas. I believe our other key players were Roger Mason, Matt Bonner, and Ime Udoka. Actually got me excited when we traded for RJ. :lol

Jf4jdUFiyn8

eric365
06-14-2014, 03:19 AM
So the bad times are:
- WCF
- 1st round exit
- WCSF
- 1st round exit
- WCF
- NBA Finals

I think Clippers or Wolves or a dozen of other team would take it as their best run in franchise history

TampaDude
06-14-2014, 05:35 AM
Unfortunately your nightmare memories will be added one more

The 2014 - spurs lead the series by 3-1 afterwards the heat win 2 games in a row to force a game 7 at AT&T center LBJ scores 50+12+9 something like that in game 7 and makes a historical 3 pointer buzzer beater to win the championship 3 years in a row in 2OT

will it be a worst memory of all time?

Naah...I'd win $12,000, so it's all good.

therealtruth
06-14-2014, 05:55 AM
We didn't reload after '07. You have to still look to improve even if you win.

emanueldavidginobili
06-14-2014, 06:32 AM
Even if the Spurs got past the Lakers in 08 they would have got crushed by the Celtics. Nothing will top game 6 that game crushed me

Perry Mason
06-14-2014, 07:36 AM
One thing I think is missing from the above is the evolution of Pop's system. 2011 was a key year where Pop adopted and adapted some of the innovations from D'Antoni and Adelman. I would call it the beginning. The disappointing end was because he hadn't figured out how to add playoff level size and defense yet, and we had depth and injury issues.

I would call 2012 the emergence, where Pop really innovated beyond the other coaches and created a free flowing weak side motion offense centered around Parker, but that sacrificed offensive rebounding in favor of transition D. The addition of Diaw brought it to another level as his skill set matched what Pop was trying to do.

2013 is the completion, where Pop fused his motion offense with great team defense and bifurcation of personnel in transition to improve rebounding. It was in 2011 to 13 we saw however one traditional trait, the heavy reliance on a superstar, who was Tony. It was a slight weakness as he went down in the finals and frankly even if he didn't, unless you are the best player in the league, the best player can beat you.

So if we get the title, I will call 2014 the fulfillment, not just in our goals but in the Naismith basketball ideal. Ball moves everywhere. We doubled our legit ballhandlers. Almost everyone can shoot and can play with speed. The options in the motion offense exploded, making fixating on TP or anyone else a difficult proposition. Of course if you don't fixate, then TP, DG or someone ignored can kill you. This is a special team with special personnel that make this all work.

Typical London Boy
06-14-2014, 08:22 AM
2008- spurs beat an extremely underrated Hornets team in 7, on the road, after being down 3-2. THE NEXT SERIES BEGAN THE VERY NEXT DAY...no day off at all before facing the Lakers, a total screwjob by the nba.

Nope, there was a day in between. Game 7 versus the Hornets was May 19, Game 1 versus the Lakers was May 21.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NBA_Playoffs

EVAY
06-14-2014, 08:36 AM
The years between the last title and this year (and we still haven't won the title so far) have been contributing years to this team having become the premier, dominating, winning team of ANY sport over the Duncan era.

I WAS a fan for all of the title runs, and as a matter of fact, I was a season ticket holder for all of the title years. I no longer am, but I do know what it was like in those years…and in the years since.

I take some grief from some posters around here for essentially being a 'rah-rah great team' kind of poster, which some folks seem to believe makes a fan indiscriminate or somehow flawed.

Not only am I impressed with what the team has done in the years in which it DIDN'T win the championship, I go further than that in saying that it is a measure of mental health to decide (and it is a decision) to be glad for what you have rather than focusing on 'what might have been' or always wanting more. This is less a criticism of those who bemoan our lack of 'back-to'backs' or focus on the reasons for losses in the years in which we came close than it is a piece of advice for folks who are a whole lot younger than I am. Life is easier to live focusing on the positives rather than the negatives. It's just that simple.

And if the worst thing you have to complain about is the years your favorite sports team didn't get a championship, you are very very very lucky people.

Sean Cagney
06-14-2014, 01:53 PM
So the bad times are:
- WCF
- 1st round exit
- WCSF
- 1st round exit
- WCF
- NBA Finals

I think Clippers or Wolves or a dozen of other team would take it as their best run in franchise history
Quite a few teams would call that their best run.