PDA

View Full Version : Does Duncan opt out on the 24th of this month?

Jwash_1986
06-13-2014, 02:43 PM
I honestly don't see him retiring if we win or lose this year. He's in good shape and he's not hurting the team. But what if he opts out to help bring in some other players and resign some of the players we already have now?

Chinook
06-13-2014, 02:54 PM
Duncan's not opting out to give the Spurs cap space. Just like in 2011, there's no real logic behind doing so. If he opts out, he's retiring and doing a favor to the Spurs by not taking the $10 Million and running.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-13-2014, 02:58 PM
Duncan's opting in. He already said he was under contract next year and will be back. (technically he isnt, but he basically saying he is going to opt in).

lmbebo
06-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Only reason I could see him opting out is if he were to sign a different contract to increase the amount of cap space the spurs had for free agents or resigning what players the spurs wanna keep around. Otherwise, he opts in.

dbreiden83080
06-13-2014, 03:05 PM
Yep and taking his talents to South Beach..

DesignatedT
06-13-2014, 03:09 PM
He's opting in the day after the finals. End of discussion.

SpurPadre
06-13-2014, 03:09 PM
What if he can be convinced to play another year if PATFO can sell him on maximizing a chance at a back-to-back title opportunity?

Darkwaters
06-13-2014, 03:12 PM
Duncan should tell Lebron to opt out and sign in San Antonio so they can chase championships together.

benefactor
06-13-2014, 03:18 PM
Manu has already said that he's coming back. If that truly is the case I expect Duncan will follow suit.

Dex
06-13-2014, 03:42 PM
Tim will be back.

xtremesteven33
06-13-2014, 03:43 PM
Im pretty sure he will be back. All account point to the Spurs being just as good or even better next year. Maybe Timmy wants to repeat and win #6.

admiralsnackbar
06-13-2014, 03:44 PM
The guy ran back on a fast-break last night and got the block. He's not retiring. How many bigs in their prime are willing/able to do what he did?

slick'81
06-13-2014, 04:08 PM
Duncan's not in his prime anymore but as we can see he still has one good year left in him if spurs win he could go the admiral rout but I also see him playing one more season for that elusive repeat

Knoxxx
06-13-2014, 04:34 PM
Duncan said he had a couple more seasons left during the Dallas series after the game where he scored 27.

makedamnsure
06-13-2014, 04:42 PM
If we win this year, he HAS to go for a repeat. It's the competitor in him.

SupremeGuy
06-13-2014, 04:56 PM
He's gonna opt out and then sign for the minimum so we can resign Patty, Diaw, and Baynes.

Phenomanul
06-13-2014, 05:05 PM
If he does come back... I would sit him out half of the season... to rest his older legs...

cjw
06-13-2014, 05:15 PM
He's gonna opt out and then sign for the minimum so we can resign Patty, Diaw, and Baynes.

We can resign them anyway with bird rights. $53.458 million guaranteed assuming Daye stays (10 players) and $52.645 million assuming Daye goes (9 players). With the cap at $63.2 million (projected), they could stay below cap when resigning the guys and have the midlevel at $2.575 million per year, or go over the cap and have a $5.15 million per year midlevel.

Our first round pick and Jean-Charles are both slotted in at under $1 million if we do bring them onto the team instead of draft and stash.

There's really no great incentive for Duncan to opt out given the higher midlevel for teams over the cap. Though if he took a new two year deal at $14 million, Diaw and Mills would use up a good chunk of the $13 million+ in cap space. If between them they used up $8 million, there would be room for a $5 million guy and a under the cap midlevel guy. Without a different Duncan contract, perhaps they push Diaw / Mills / Baynes salaries up to $10 million combined (front-loaded) to reach the cap and have the higher midlevel available?

Someone with better CBA knowledge, please feel free to enlighten us - preferably after Game 5.

TampaDude
06-13-2014, 05:52 PM
Tim has to come back to try once again for #5.

ManuTastic
06-13-2014, 06:03 PM
He should come back, especially after, you know... the thing you can't say without jinxing it. He's playing great, is healthy, and so are Manu and Tony. Splitter has taken a step up this year, Kawhi is taking a huge leap in front of our eyes, Diaw is transforming the team, Patty is an awesome backup PG, etc... Next year looks bright--very bright. Plus when did anyone ever walk away before they had to? Top pro athletes are driven, and addicted to the high of the competition and the spotlight. Tim may be modest, but he's a top competitor. I sure as hell hope he re-ups.

tholdren
06-13-2014, 06:10 PM
We can resign them anyway with bird rights. $53.458 million guaranteed assuming Daye stays (10 players) and $52.645 million assuming Daye goes (9 players). With the cap at $63.2 million (projected), they could stay below cap when resigning the guys and have the midlevel at $2.575 million per year, or go over the cap and have a $5.15 million per year midlevel.

Our first round pick and Jean-Charles are both slotted in at under $1 million if we do bring them onto the team instead of draft and stash.

There's really no great incentive for Duncan to opt out given the higher midlevel for teams over the cap. Though if he took a new two year deal at $14 million, Diaw and Mills would use up a good chunk of the $13 million+ in cap space. If between them they used up $8 million, there would be room for a $5 million guy and a under the cap midlevel guy. Without a different Duncan contract, perhaps they push Diaw / Mills / Baynes salaries up to $10 million combined (front-loaded) to reach the cap and have the higher midlevel available?

Someone with better CBA knowledge, please feel free to enlighten us - preferably after Game 5.

What kind of players are we talking with 2.5 versus 5.15 MLE?

TheGreatYacht
06-13-2014, 06:32 PM
I hope he retires on top after this year.

He already limps when he walks... 20+ years of professional ball, wants to spend time with his kids, got his revenge from Game 7, go out like DRob a CHAMP

Whats the point of returning for #6 when Melo is obviously going to overpower a contender... All these stars teaming up, fuck that.

AusEM
06-13-2014, 06:48 PM
Manu has already said that he's coming back. If that truly is the case I expect Duncan will follow suit.
But if Duncan opts out can Manu do the same? Without TD we will have no chance for another championship (no interior defence). Winning it all would make rebuilding much easier.

T Park
06-13-2014, 06:54 PM
Duncan has 2 or 3 years left in him. Hes staying, wouldnt be shocked if he took another pay cut.

cjw
06-13-2014, 07:03 PM
What kind of players are we talking with 2.5 versus 5.15 MLE?

Pierce for full MLE? Ariza? Carter's wheels are probably gonna fall off. And all those people with a hard on for Marvin Williams can finally rejoice that he's a free agent!

The 2.5 MLE probably doesn't get you any of those guys. There are six guys solidly on the team for next year (Big 3 + Kawhi + Green + Splitter) and Diaw will be back, so a lot depends on what happens with Mills. If Mills is back, CoJo could also be sent out in a trade. Unfortunately, won't know about Mills until after the draft so wouldn't be able to deal CoJo to move up in Round 1.

It's a pretty fine line to being above or below the cap after resigning guys, so will see then.

benefactor
06-13-2014, 07:14 PM
But if Duncan opts out can Manu do the same? Without TD we will have no chance for another championship (no interior defence). Winning it all would make rebuilding much easier.
Manu can't necessarily opt out, but he can retire. I don't see either leaving the money on the table. I think they both take it and come back for one more run.

Mugen
06-13-2014, 07:25 PM
:lol No way Tim takes another paycut, nor should he. He's already sacrificed enough while still being one of the best bigmen in the league. If anything, Holt should overpay for another 2-3 years to keep the group intact. They've earned that tbh.

Johnny RIngo
06-13-2014, 07:46 PM
SA needs to do something about Marco/Ayres. We used the MLE on those two last year and neither has delivered. They just don't belong on this team. Marco turns into Bonner come playoff time. Ayres can't catch simple passes. Neither plays defense.

Nathan89
06-13-2014, 07:56 PM
I don't see Duncan leaving the team when they have an opportunity to win a championship with him.

mVp
06-13-2014, 08:15 PM
He's not retiring when he still has 2 good years left in him, and when they are going to be contenders again next season.

Besides, if they win sunday, it's his chance to defend the title and finally get the repeat.

100%duncan
06-13-2014, 08:16 PM
:lol No way Tim takes another paycut, nor should he. He's already sacrificed enough while still being one of the best bigmen in the league. If anything, Holt should overpay for another 2-3 years to keep the group intact. They've earned that tbh.

This tbh. And besides we can keep everyone and the team intact even if TD doesn't take a paycut.

RD2191
06-13-2014, 08:19 PM
I remember I saw a vid a year or 2 ago where Tim said there was no way he'd be paying at age 40. Brought up his kids and things of that nature.

Mel_13
06-17-2014, 11:12 PM
How great would it be for him to announce that he'll be returning when he speaks tomorrow night at the Alamodome?

TheGoldStandard
06-17-2014, 11:16 PM
Tim will be back to chase #6

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-17-2014, 11:17 PM
Does he look tired of basketball? Does he look frustrated or annoyed with the Spurs? No, he looks like he could play another 3 years if he wants to, so he'll be back to defend the title then retire if they don't win the championship. If they do he might sign a 1-yr contract to go for the 3-peat... ;)

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-18-2014, 12:13 AM
Does he look tired of basketball? Does he look frustrated or annoyed with the Spurs? No, he looks like he could play another 3 years if he wants to, so he'll be back to defend the title then retire if they don't win the championship. If they do he might sign a 1-yr contract to go for the 3-peat... ;)

I read an interview where he said his only regret so far is not repeating (this was around he start of the playoffs). No way he doesn't come back for another shot at it.

will_spurs
06-18-2014, 04:30 AM
Whats the point of returning for #6 when Melo is obviously going to overpower a contender... All these stars teaming up, fuck that.

Melo isn't a star in any way, shape or form. And he will never win a ring unless it's at the end of the bench as a washed-up veteran who isn't getting any meaningful minutes.

TE
06-18-2014, 04:54 AM
With the way he looks in this system, Tim could play till he's fifty. As long as that 'under the rim' defense is decent, he's a decent enough of anchor to be out on the floor. Tim could just play outside (midrange shots off a pick and pop, elbow shot that usually tends to be a bank shot).

Please come back, Tim. Basketball in it's entirety would not be the same without you.

Fireball
06-18-2014, 05:25 AM
He will return for one year, then he will ride into the sunset to be with his kids. That option is in his contract for a reason. I think he made a deal with himself to not play longer than that ...

AND he does have to come back next season because I want to watch him live just once in my lifetime when the Spurs play in Berlin next pre-season.