PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Full Declaration and Admiration

Medvedenko
06-13-2014, 04:07 PM
Ok, I've been on this board since 2004, starting as a troll at first and then getting ingrained in the culture and actually visiting the site daily. I've had a lot of battles with a few posters and would pray at the feet of King Kobe and namely the Lakers. There are too many battles to list, too many posters I can give a shit about, and too many memories that were clouded by my Laker fandom that I never really cared about the Spurs, their players, or their style of play since Pop was coach.

Now, the last 2 years have been shitty for Laker fans. What this has provided me though is the ability to watch the NBA without Kobe coloured glasses in respect to legacy, place within the top 10 or where the Lakers exist as the definition of an NBA successful franchise. Also, as I've matured and I've been a fan of the NBA since the early 80's, I've seen many eras, teams and players. Success in winning rings over the last 30 years always started with talent and great to HOF players, where system, coaching were secondary. I also played college ball and play in leagues currently and usually the teams with the best overall talent would win the majority of the games.

Not taking away from TD, TP, and Manu, what the Spurs have done in respect to team play, X's and O's, organization, role specific players and overall sacrifice to the greater good has the potential to shake up the formula in the league for years to come. Yes, there are 3 HOF players on their roster, however; they don't need to play at HOF level to be successful. This is the main differentiating factor that sets apart "Monkey ball" and "Spurs ball".

If the Spurs win this year, it will be a sea change and blueprint for coaches and GM's to use in building systems and consistency rather than stock pile talent (Heat, Clips, Nets et al) in lieu of players actually fitting in. So, all you hardcore spur fans will say, "duh? we've always known this", however' change can only happen when you win a ring, not reg season, ie suns, bulls etc of years past.

They have figured it out and as fan of basketball I’m all for it. Basketball is a sweet science of a sport in my estimation that’s been adulterated since the days of MJ. Hopefully the new added athleticism coupled with what the Spurs are doing will not only improve the game, it will change it for the foreseeable future.

Katherine Robinson
06-13-2014, 04:09 PM
Is the truce back on?

Koolaid_Man
06-13-2014, 04:12 PM
This thread title should read: "Full and Open Access To My Ass".

Killakobe81
06-13-2014, 04:12 PM
Ok, I've been on this board since 2004, starting as a troll at first and then getting ingrained in the culture and actually visiting the site daily. I've had a lot of battles with a few posters and would pray at the feet of King Kobe and namely the Lakers. There are too many battles to list, too many posters I can give a shit about, and too many memories that were clouded by my Laker fandom that I never really cared about the Spurs, their players, or their style of play since Pop was coach.

Now, the last 2 years have been shitty for Laker fans. What this has provided me though is the ability to watch the NBA without Kobe coloured glasses in respect to legacy, place within the top 10 or where the Lakers exist as the definition of an NBA successful franchise. Also, as I've matured and I've been a fan of the NBA since the early 80's, I've seen many eras, teams and players. Success in winning rings over the last 30 years always started with talent and great to HOF players, where system, coaching were secondary. I also played college ball and play in leagues currently and usually the teams with the best overall talent would win the majority of the games.

Not taking away from TD, TP, and Manu, what the Spurs have done in respect to team play, X's and O's, organization, role specific players and overall sacrifice to the greater good has the potential to shake up the formula in the league for years to come. Yes, there are 3 HOF players on their roster, however; they don't need to play at HOF level to be successful. This is the main differentiating factor that sets apart "Monkey ball" and "Spurs ball".

If the Spurs win this year, it will be a sea change and blueprint for coaches and GM's to use in building systems and consistency rather than stock pile talent (Heat, Clips, Nets et al) in lieu of players actually fitting in. So, all you hardcore spur fans will say, "duh? we've always known this", however' change can only happen when you win a ring, not reg season, ie suns, bulls etc of years past.

They have figured it out and as fan of basketball I’m all for it. Basketball is a sweet science of a sport in my estimation that’s been adulterated since the days of MJ. Hopefully the new added athleticism coupled with what the Spurs are doing will not only improve the game, it will change it for the foreseeable future.

Have to agree with MEdvedenko.
Spurs are playing a great brand of ball and I hate to admit it Pop probably has jumped Riles with another ring and after PJ is probably the best coach I have ever seen.
I said this upstairs but he is the only coach I would attend a camp for and learm things I dont already know about hoops.
This guy is playing PS4/XBOX ONE while many coaches on SEGA GENESIS or SNES ...it's beautiful to watch.

And as much as I enjoyed Shaqobe the Spurs play a better brand of ball than those Lakers or even MJ's Bulls tbh.

TheSanityAnnex
06-13-2014, 04:13 PM

They have figured it out and as fan of basketball I’m all for it. Basketball is a sweet science of a sport in my estimation that’s been adulterated since the days of MJ. Hopefully the new added athleticism coupled with what the Spurs are doing will not only improve the game, it will change it for the foreseeable future.I thoroughly enjoy watching the Spurs, remind me of my old Vlade led Kings.

Killakobe81
06-13-2014, 04:14 PM
Lakers fans dont wanna admit it but from a purist perspective Spurs ball is closer to showtime (just more 3pt shooting) than any team I have seen in a long time.

Killakobe81
06-13-2014, 04:14 PM
Issue is you need a Pop and unselfish high level players ...

Koolaid_Man
06-13-2014, 04:20 PM
My Ass Is Open Come and Take It!!!!

Medvedenko
06-13-2014, 04:21 PM

KMan, I know you know what's up.

DMC
06-13-2014, 04:23 PM
Other than TD, the "HOFers" were developed as a side note to their successes, not the successes as a side note to having HOFers. Let's not rewrite history here. It's like saying "sure Neil Armstrong walked on the moon but he had an advantage of being the 1st guy to walk on the moon".

DMC
06-13-2014, 04:24 PM

QFT tbh

Medvedenko
06-13-2014, 04:26 PM
Other than TD, the "HOFers" were developed as a side note to their successes, not the successes as a side note to having HOFers. Let's not rewrite history here. It's like saying "sure Neil Armstrong walked on the moon but he had an advantage of being the 1st guy to walk on the moon".

You aren't a HOF caliber player without winning.

Buddy Mignon
06-13-2014, 04:28 PM

HE SHOULD JOIN MY "SHOTS FIRED" THREAD.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235398&p=7421338#post7421338

CitizenDwayne
06-13-2014, 04:34 PM
Hopefully the new added athleticism coupled with what the Spurs are doing will not only improve the game, it will change it for the foreseeable future.

That would be nice, but I don't really see it happening. More likely it will just be swept quickly under the rug, and the NBA will go back to their star-obsessed ways, perhaps with Kawhi slated as the "next big thing" to follow in the wake of Lebron, Durant, George, etc.

Medvedenko
06-13-2014, 04:38 PM
That would be nice, but I don't really see it happening. More likely it will just be swept quickly under the rug, and the NBA will go back to their star-obsessed ways, perhaps with Kawhi slated as the "next big thing" to follow in the wake of Lebron, Durant, George, etc.

Look, there will always be superstars, marketing aside, there are just players that will be better. However, if some of these superstars sit back with their agents and look at fit over "names" they'll get what they ulitmately want. A ring.

Sportcamper
06-13-2014, 04:48 PM
Koolaid WT Heck...Looks like you ticked off one of the Mods....:lol

jag
06-13-2014, 04:49 PM
If the Spurs win this year, it will be a sea change and blueprint for coaches and GM's to use in building systems and consistency rather than stock pile talent (Heat, Clips, Nets et al) in lieu of players actually fitting in.

Whether the Spurs close this out or not, they aren't a great team because of the system. They're a great team because their players, namely their three best players, have allowed the system to determine their production. You still need stars to win. Spurs stars may be old, but they can still turn it on when the situation calls for it. There are few "stars" in this league willing to accept a role that could see their PPG and MPG totals plummet. These guys are ultra-competitive and they want chase the numbers that have made other players legendary.

It takes 2-3 selfless stars, selfless and professional role players and a coach who is trusted unconditionally. You also need a GM and an owner who stay out of each other's way. Coaches don't need the Spurs to win a title for them to buy into a team-first philosophy. They already buy into that philosophy, they just don't have the personnel to effectively implement what the Spurs have.

Medvedenko
06-13-2014, 04:52 PM
Whether the Spurs close this out or not, they aren't a great team because of the system. They're a great team because their players, namely their three best players, have allowed the system to determine their production. You still need stars to win. Spurs stars may be old, but they can still turn it on when the situation calls for it. There are few "stars" in this league willing to accept a role that could see their PPG and MPG totals plummet. These guys are ultra-competitive and they want chase the numbers that have made other players legendary.

It takes 2-3 selfless stars, selfless and professional role players and a coach who is trusted unconditionally. You also need a GM and an owner who stay out of each other's way. Coaches don't need the Spurs to win a title for them to buy into a team-first philosophy. They already buy into that philosophy, they just don't have the personnel to effectively implement what the Spurs have.

I agree it's an all of the above approach. However, the Spurs haven't won the ring in 7 years...and from what I gather the success is because of the big 3 being older, wiser and a little slower that makes the sacrifice all that easier. That's the remarkable thing though.

Ignignokt
06-13-2014, 04:53 PM

y u be offering dat boy pussy maing

Koolaid_Man
06-13-2014, 04:54 PM
KMan, I know you know what's up.

My dick playa..unless of course you really are gay :lol

Medvedenko
06-13-2014, 04:56 PM
My dick playa..unless of course you really are gay :lol

I'm just gay for you my black brother.

Koolaid_Man
06-13-2014, 04:57 PM
I'm just gay for you my black brother.

So who molested you into gayness...dad or grandad?

Medvedenko
06-13-2014, 05:00 PM
So who molested you into gayness...dad or grandad?

What, are the Rick Perry of this forum, you're born gay bro.

Koolaid_Man
06-13-2014, 05:04 PM
No one is born with a dick stuck up their ass...when mom spits you out you're clear and free of any dicks in your mouth or ass :toast

06-13-2014, 05:05 PM
I agree that what the Spurs are doing is unprecedented. They are introducing a new blueprint in building a championship team. If the Spurs go on to win it all, this would be the most unique team in the modern era.

However, this blueprint will be hard to replicate. It takes the right coach, players, and skill set to implement this type of motion offense. Why would stars buy into this system if it limits their shots and forces their averages down? Which organization has a coach with the staying power to oversee a long term plan? Which team has a core of players that stay together for years? Which team has an entire roster full of players that are not just willing to play unselfish basketball but intelligent enough to make the right passes? It took the Spurs several iterations along with trial and error to get to where they are today. Organizations are not so patient today. We'll definitely see the Sixers and Hawks try this but they still need the right personnel. When setbacks occur, usually players get shipped out and coaches fired.

It's still much easier to sign/draft a superstar, find the right role players, and let the superstar carry your team.

Franklin
06-13-2014, 06:56 PM
10yrs later and still a shitty poster...

ezau
06-13-2014, 08:40 PM
To replicate the Spurs system you need at least high-IQ players with great passing and shooting skills. Spurs may be revolutionizing the NBA landscape right now, but if I'm not mistaken, Pop got the idea from D'Antoni and just perfected it. Successful NBA teams of the future will feature players with a lot of length so they can switch with ease while featuring pinpoint passing and movement.

UZER
06-13-2014, 08:55 PM
Man, if a Superstar free agent wants a ring, this is the perfect situation. He could still be the main man with a superior supporting cast.

Instead, you have guys wanting to join other superstars to play the NBA game on easy mode, and equally share the blame if they lose.

Arcadian
06-13-2014, 09:03 PM
Solid, honest take. :toast