PDA

View Full Version : The Kawhi Leonard - SDSU - Spurs Connection

sdsucwsl
06-13-2014, 04:58 PM
Greetings Spurs fans,

As an SDSU fan, I felt compelled to write this post about Kawhi Leonard considering that the Spurs are on the eve of winning another championship.

First, all SDSU fans are extremely proud of Kawhi's accomplishments. During the draft combines, there were so many people that said he was a "bust" and that teams should avoid him. The SDSU faithfuls knew better because we've followed him since his high school days and Kawhi always was a gritty, blue collar type of player that was always around the ball, but most importantly, he rarely made mistakes on the court. Most of us thought that he would be a role player/contributor to an NBA team due to his lack of an outside shot, but I don't think anyone saw him blossoming the way he has in the last 3 years.

SDSU fans felt robbed his last year at SDSU because we truly felt that SDSU's 2011 team was an Elite 8/Final 4 team. Then we played Kemba Walker's UCONN in the Sweet 16 where Kawhi was in early foul trouble just like games 1 and 2 of the NBA Finals. They were BS ticky-tack calls but it was enough to have Kawhi sit on the bench for the better of the first half of that game. The results were the same as the NBA Finals where he was never fully engaged in the game. Therefore, he did not have a good showing in the Sweet Sixteen game that SDSU eventually lost. Now that the Spurs are so close to the Championship trophy, if Kawhi wins, it would be a good vindication to the opportunity that was lost in the NCAA Sweet Sixteen.

Secondly, I don't know if you guys know this, but Kawhi has a huge following of fans from Southern California because of his days at SDSU. Most of us grew up rooting for your arch-nemesis the Lakers, but many folks in Southern California (especially San Diego County) have really become Spurs fans since Kawhi has joined the team. Me and my friends have watched many more Spurs games in the last 3 years than we have the Lakers. Yes, this is true. You guys have a huge following in California because of Kawhi.

Before Kawhi, I did not pay much attention to the Spurs. Now that he's on your team, I've grown to appreciate the Spurs system, the coaching staff, and how good the Spurs have been able to develop their players. From the basketball court to the executive offices, the Spurs truly are the envy of not only the NBA, but baskebtall in general.

Kawhi could not have landed on a better team. If the Pacers would have kept him instead of trading him to San Antonio, I am convinced that he would not be near the player he is today. That is a testament to the Spurs training staff.

Congrats on a great season. Just being 22 years old, it's crazy to think that Kawhi still has a lot of room to grow in skills and physique.

MannyIsGod
06-13-2014, 05:06 PM
Go Spurs.

Go Lobos.

Love me some Kawhi but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck SDSU.

Phenomanul
06-13-2014, 05:07 PM
Greetings Spurs fans,

As an SDSU fan, I felt compelled to write this post about Kawhi Leonard considering that the Spurs are on the eve of winning another championship.

First, all SDSU fans are extremely proud of Kawhi's accomplishments. During the draft combines, there were so many people that said he was a "bust" and that teams should avoid him. The SDSU faithfuls knew better because we've followed him since his high school days and Kawhi always was a gritty, blue collar type of player that was always around the ball, but most importantly, he rarely made mistakes on the court. Most of us thought that he would be a role player/contributor to an NBA team due to his lack of an outside shot, but I don't think anyone saw him blossoming the way he has in the last 3 years.

SDSU fans felt robbed his last year at SDSU because we truly felt that SDSU's 2011 team was an Elite 8/Final 4 team. Then we played Kemba Walker's UCONN in the Sweet 16 where Kawhi was in early foul trouble just like games 1 and 2 of the NBA Finals. They were BS ticky-tack calls but it was enough to have Kawhi sit on the bench for the better of the first half of that game. The results were the same as the NBA Finals where he was never fully engaged in the game. Therefore, he did not have a good showing in the Sweet Sixteen game that SDSU eventually lost. Now that the Spurs are so close to the Championship trophy, if Kawhi wins, it would be a good vindication to the opportunity that was lost in the NCAA Sweet Sixteen.

Secondly, I don't know if you guys know this, but Kawhi has a huge following of fans from Southern California because of his days at SDSU. Most of us grew up rooting for your arch-nemesis the Lakers, but many folks in Southern California (especially San Diego County) have really become Spurs fans since Kawhi has joined the team. Me and my friends have watched many more Spurs games in the last 3 years than we have the Lakers. Yes, this is true. You guys have a huge following in California because of Kawhi.

Before Kawhi, I did not pay much attention to the Spurs. Now that he's on your team, I've grown to appreciate the Spurs system, the coaching staff, and how good the Spurs have been able to develop their players. From the basketball court to the executive offices, the Spurs truly are the envy of not only the NBA, but baskebtall in general.

Kawhi could not have landed on a better team. If the Pacers would have kept him instead of trading him to San Antonio, I am convinced that he would not be near the player he is today. That is a testament to the Spurs training staff.

Congrats on a great season. Just being 22 years old, it's crazy to think that Kawhi still has a lot of room to grow in skills and physique.

:tu

DarrinS
06-13-2014, 05:10 PM
He has become a fan favorite, but he's a little too talkative.

He's a really great all around player and the sky is the limit for this kid. Sean Elliott calls him a mini James Worthy. Great comparison, IMO, but Kawhi just became the youngest player in Finals history to have at least 25 points while converting at least 75 percent of his field goals (beating out James Worthy).

sdsucwsl
06-13-2014, 05:17 PM
C'mon Lobos fan. I am trying to keep it classy. There's no need for me bring up Zylan Cheathem.

Go Spurs.

Go Lobos.

Love me some Kawhi but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck SDSU.

MannyIsGod
06-13-2014, 05:20 PM
C'mon Lobos fan. I am trying to keep it classy. There's no need for me bring up Zylan Cheathem.

Haha. That one did suck!

RD2191
06-13-2014, 05:21 PM
If you want class then go to school. I don't care much for player fans. Tbh. So if Kawhi leaves the Spurs you will follow? Spurs first, tbh.

keywester
06-13-2014, 05:26 PM
If you want class then go to school. I don't care much for player fans. Tbh. So if Kawhi leaves the Spurs you will follow? Spurs first, tbh.

If you are a SDSU alum you will follow. Obviously you are not a grad?

RD2191
06-13-2014, 05:27 PM
If you are a SDSU alum you will follow. Obviously you are not a grad?
No.

SupremeGuy
06-13-2014, 05:37 PM
No fucking way Kawhi leaves the Spurs', tbh. Just no. Please no. :cry

Johnny RIngo
06-13-2014, 06:06 PM
Anyone remember that really shitty article from 2011 that said Spurs were a bad fit for Kawhi because they were old/irrelevant and someone like Leonard belongs on a young, dynamic team. Hilarious looking back now.

Spur|n|Austin
06-13-2014, 06:12 PM
:toast

CosmicCowboy
06-13-2014, 06:16 PM
Fun facts to know and tell, Kori that owns this website (who lived in LA at the time) first came to the Spurs websites because of Tim Duncan and his Wake Forest exploits. She didn't particularly like the Spurs and though David Robinson was soft. Truth.

exstatic
06-13-2014, 06:31 PM
Fun facts to know and tell, Kori that owns this website (who lived in LA at the time) first came to the Spurs websites because of Tim Duncan and his Wake Forest exploits. She didn't particularly like the Spurs and though David Robinson was soft. Truth.

Testify.

cd98
06-13-2014, 06:50 PM
Remember when Spurs traded for Leonard and some sportswriter for SDSU wrote about how terrible for him that he was traded to the Spurs, that they were too old, and that it would hurt his career?

SanDiegoSpursFan
06-13-2014, 06:53 PM
Never thought he would be able to defend premier perimeter players like he does. He's not Bowen, but he can stay in front of them and uses his length extremely well. Just goes to show that everything Jimmer did was a result of the refs not letting anyone touch him ever and other bullshit reserved only for white guys who just happen to flame out in the NBA.

wildchild
06-13-2014, 11:44 PM
I've grown to appreciate the Spurs system, the coaching staff, and how good the Spurs have been able to develop their players. From the basketball court to the executive offices, the Spurs truly are the envy of not only the NBA, but baskebtall in general.

I always loved coach Fisher (that Michigan's Fab Five team...) and how he has built SDSU basketball program. :toast