PDA

View Full Version : Mavs Second Best Team

mavsfan1000
06-13-2014, 09:43 PM
We took the Spurs to 7 games. We were considering championship if we got past the Spurs.

Mugen
06-13-2014, 09:45 PM
Congrats

http://angryfeministkilljoy.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/you-tried-gold-star.png

weeks
06-13-2014, 09:46 PM
no one's gonna remember that shit

they'll just remember a first round exit for cuban and dirk

Knoxxx
06-13-2014, 09:47 PM
The most impressive FIRST ROUND PLAYOFF LOSS ever! Props to the Mavs!

Knoxxx
06-13-2014, 09:49 PM
Congrats

http://angryfeministkilljoy.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/you-tried-gold-star.png

This guy! It's like he had the picture sitting there on his pc in anticipation! He's like 5 moves ahead of the OP! :lol

Strange Love
06-13-2014, 09:52 PM
Would have gotten bukakeed by Thunder if you even made it past Blazers that is.

Wildcat67
06-13-2014, 09:52 PM
More like the Spurs had been in coast and rest mode for about 2 weeks prior to the 1st round and weren't in rhythm to start the postseason.

slick'81
06-13-2014, 09:54 PM
So far they defy given spurs best series

Findog
06-13-2014, 09:55 PM
If they played that series again right now, the Spurs would wax them. This is not the same Spurs team as a month ago. Mavs FO shouldn't let that series fool them into thinking they're closer than they are. They still have quite a bit of roster retooling to do if they want to win another title before Dirk retires.

Robz4000
06-13-2014, 09:58 PM
Thanks RC for waking the Spurs up in time to start rolling! :tu

Knoxxx
If they played that series again right now, the Spurs would wax them. This is not the same Spurs team as a month ago. Mavs FO shouldn't let that series fool them into thinking they're closer than they are. They still have quite a bit of roster retooling to do if they want to win another title before Dirk retires.

Good take

playblair
dejuan blair earned his respect in that series................. haters who hated blair turned into believers..............

Knoxxx
06-13-2014, 09:59 PM
More like the Spurs had been in coast and rest mode for about 2 weeks prior to the 1st round and weren't in rhythm to start the postseason.

Better take

Mugen
06-13-2014, 10:00 PM
I've already gone on record for saying DeJuan should get a ring for that head kick in Game 4. Carlisle proved that he's without a doubt the 2nd best coach in the league and I'm not sure if it's that close between him and Thibbs tbh.

100%duncan
06-13-2014, 10:01 PM
dejuan blair earned his respect in that series................. haters who hated blair turned into believers..............

Yeah that kick was legendary

Knoxxx

Blair was a bargain for the money and probably better use of a roster spot than Ayres. BUT the problem with Blair in S.A. was his LOW BBALL IQ prevented him from reaching his potential. If you can't learn the system as a role player, you must be discarded.

Findog
Good take

I don't know why Spoelstra doesn't follow Carlisle's example and stay home on the 3-point shooters. It gummed up the Spurs offense enough to give Dallas a chance in that series. A better team like Miami copying that strategy should be able to have more success with it. The way the Heat overpursue and blitz the ball handler doesn't work against a team like the Spurs that plays so unselfishly and keeps moving the ball until they get a high-percentage shot.

Findog
06-13-2014, 10:05 PM
I've already gone on record for saying DeJuan should get a ring for that head kick in Game 4. Carlisle proved that he's without a doubt the 2nd best coach in the league and I'm not sure if it's that close between him and Thibbs tbh.

Thibs is a defensive genius...you get the feeling he could take the 30th-ranked D and turn them into a top 10 D without changing personnel just from getting guys to execute his scheme and consistently play hard. His weakness is that he has no feel for offense and he plays his main guys too many minutes in the regular season. Both Carlisle and Pop are not just great in-game coaches, and good at making adjustments in series, but they are also good coaches for the long haul of the regular season, they don't ever lose sight of the big picture and know that they need their teams to be prepared and ready to peak when late spring rolls around.

Knoxxx
I don't know why Spoelstra doesn't follow Carlisle's example and stay home on the 3-point shooters. It gummed up the Spurs offense enough to give Dallas a chance in the series. A better team like Miami copying that strategy should be able to have more success with it. The way the Heat overpursue and blitz the ball handler doesn't work against a team like the Spurs that plays so unselfishly and keeps moving the ball until they get a high-percentage shot.

We just got done dealing with Westbrook (mad reach in fouls allowed, crazy energy on D), Durant, Ibaka. Miami is like the playing against the JV team defense after dealing with that.

SpurPadre
I don't know why Spoelstra doesn't follow Carlisle's example and stay home on the 3-point shooters. It gummed up the Spurs offense enough to give Dallas a chance in the series. A better team like Miami copying that strategy should be able to have more success with it. The way the Heat overpursue and blitz the ball handler doesn't work against a team like the Spurs that plays so unselfishly and keeps moving the ball until they get a high-percentage shot.

Unlike the Mavs, the heat don't have the size or rebounding ability to implement that strategy. TD, Diaw, Leonard and TP would just murder them in the paint. No excuses, we're just better than them at this point.

Findog
06-13-2014, 10:09 PM
We just got done dealing with Westbrook (mad reach in fouls allowed, crazy energy on D), Durant, Ibaka. Miami is like the playing against the JV team defense after dealing with that.

I agree with that. Scott Brooks will never outcoach Pop, but OKC's length, youth and athleticism can sometimes beat and overwhelm scheme, execution and chemistry.

tmtcsc
06-13-2014, 10:09 PM
Whatever makes you sleep better. Me, I think the Spurs' gross lack of respect for a team they pretty much dominated the last few years, caused them to play like crap. Dallas didnt lay down as expected. 2nd best team? C'mon man.

Knoxxx
06-13-2014, 10:10 PM
The Mavs were a solid defensive team. Unfortunately their tallest and best player is a past-his-prime jump shooting sissy.

Findog
06-13-2014, 10:10 PM
Unlike the Mavs, the heat don't have the size or rebounding ability to implement that strategy. TD, Diaw, Leonard and TP would just murder them in the paint. No excuses, we're just better than them at this point.

That makes sense. Miami is a top-heavy team and only LeBron is playing well. The Spurs are getting a contribution from 1-12. Every single Spur player is making a positive impact when he hits the floor, star and role player alike.

Mugen
06-13-2014, 10:12 PM
Fin, who do you want the Mavs to pick up this summer tbh? Deng / Ariza??

Knoxxx
06-13-2014, 10:14 PM
Wow I think Ariza is pretty washed up.

SpurPadre
06-13-2014, 10:15 PM
Mavs might put their dibs on Melo from what I've read.

Findog
06-13-2014, 10:15 PM
Fin, who do you want the Mavs to pick up this summer tbh? Deng / Ariza??

I think they need a wing stopper and a center. I hope Carmelo walks and then Phil trades us Tyson as part of a rebuild. I prefer Deng over Ariza. Ariza only seems to play well when he's about to hit free agency.

Findog
06-13-2014, 10:16 PM
Mavs might put their dibs on Melo from what I've read.

No thanks. The 2014 team scored about as well as the 2011 team efficiency-wise. Defensively they gave up 3 more pts per 100 possession. You tell me what needs to be addressed.

Mugen
06-13-2014, 10:19 PM
It'd be nice to see Tyson back in Dallas tbh. I agree about Deng/Ariza as Ariza is strictly a spot up shooter who won't be worth the 8-9mil he will get, tho they'll have to overpay to get Deng as well. An elite defensive big is absolutely the priority as the Spurs just abused Dirk once they settled in during that series...

Findog
06-13-2014, 10:25 PM
It'd be nice to see Tyson back in Dallas tbh. I agree about Deng/Ariza as Ariza is strictly a spot up shooter who won't be worth the 8-9mil he will get, tho they'll have to overpay to get Deng as well. An elite defensive big is absolutely the priority as the Spurs just abused Dirk once they settled in during that series...

I just want one more deep playoff run. Doesn't even have to end in a title, just to be relevant past the first two rounds.

DMX7
06-13-2014, 10:26 PM
Get these cats a trophy for their awesome 16th place finish.

ducks
06-13-2014, 10:28 PM
I feel for dirk
the one year Cuban went cheap he let nash walk

DarrinS
06-13-2014, 10:30 PM
Mavs gave the Spurs a good scare, but the Spurs weren't yet in full playoff mode (don't know how else to describe it)

Obstructed_View
06-14-2014, 01:34 PM
I hope, for the sake of Mav fans, that the team itself doesn't believe this. Some of the local radio personalities seem to think some ridiculous things based on the relative success of the Mavericks against the Spurs. Surely nobody within the organization thinks Monta Ellis is an elite defender. The Mavs were far better than I expected them to be this season, and it's because they played smart team basketball and listened to their coach. They certainly caught the Spurs napping for six games and did just about everything in their power to take advantage of it. Spurs fans would be foolish to think that they didn't come uncomfortably close to watching another 8-1 upset.

Duncan looked far more done four years ago than Dirk has looked at any point. There's no reason not to think they can't plug the right players into their system and be relevant in the west again.

jARS mEsH sEt
06-14-2014, 01:42 PM
I think that speaks more to Carlisle being the clear 2nd best coach in the NBA.