PDA

View Full Version : Knicks: With Carmelo leaning towards leaving, Bulls and Rockets in contention

Sheriff Hoyt
06-14-2014, 11:34 AM
New York Knicks (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/nyk/) star Carmelo Anthony (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3706/) is leaning toward leaving in pursuit of immediate championship contention, and awaits theChicago Bulls (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/chi/) and Houston Rockets (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/hou/) to clear the necessary salary-cap space to sign him in free agency, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

As re-signing with the Knicks continues to fade as his priority, Chicago and Houston have emerged as the clear frontrunners to acquire Anthony, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Anthony's meeting with Knicks officials on Friday night had little impact on his state of mind, league sources said, because there remain too many uncertainties about how quickly president Phil Jackson can reshape the team into a championship contender.

Chicago and Houston front-office executives are working diligently on contingencies to clear the space to sign Anthony outright – or engage sign-and-trade scenarios with New York, sources said.
"His heart is in New York," one source familiar with Anthony's thinking told Yahoo Sports, "but he wants a chance to win now."

Jackson has turned off Anthony with his public proclamations of wanting the seven-time All-Star forward to take less money to stay with New York, league sources said.

Anthony has said he's willing to take less than the maximum-allowable contract, but league sources said that involves situations where he can be shown how his financial concessions can result in the immediate acquisition or retention of talent. Anthony hasn't expressed interest taking less for hypothetical signings in 2015 or '16, as New York wants him to do, sources said.

Anthony isn't as concerned over a novice head coach in Derek Fisher, as he is a roster barren of assets and talent to move toward contention.
Anthony, 30, has been intrigued with the chance to join the Bulls for several months, but Houston has gathered significant momentum as a preferred destination for him, league sources said.

In trade talks, New York has told teams it doesn't want to take on contracts beyond the summer of 2015 although Asik, a center, could ultimately be a player the Knicks would want to sign long-term. There's a market for Asik to be traded into salary-cap space elsewhere for draft considerations, but Houston may have to package a draft pick to move Lin.

The Rockets have the flexibility to sell Anthony on a full-max contract in the range of $22 million-$23 million per year, or can offer him the chance to keep teammates like Chandler Parsons, Patrick Beverley and Terrence Jones on the roster by accepting less money on the deal. Nevertheless, most scenarios that would hold the Rockets nucleus together would still find Anthony with a starting annually salary in the range of $19 million, league sources said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--carmelo-anthony-leaning-toward-leaving-knicks--bulls--rockets-in-contention-161206919.html

djohn2oo8
06-14-2014, 11:38 AM
No way Melo accepts less than the max.

djohn2oo8
06-14-2014, 11:44 AM

baseline bum
06-14-2014, 11:44 AM
If Randolph opts out Melo should go to Memphis.

TimDunkem
06-14-2014, 11:54 AM
No team with Melo will ever be contenders for a title.

angrydude
06-14-2014, 11:54 AM
If he wants to win he should go to chicago. It would guarantee an ECF for him...especially if Lebron leaves miami.

The rockets aren't going anywhere no matter who they have unless Mchale wakes up and learns how to be an NBA coach overnight.

sook
06-14-2014, 11:58 AM
Melo or no melo the rockets will be trash.

djohn2oo8
06-14-2014, 11:58 AM
If he wants to win he should go to chicago. It would guarantee an ECF for him...especially if Lebron leaves miami.

The rockets aren't going anywhere no matter who they have unless Mchale wakes up and learns how to be an NBA coach overnight.

While true, there is only great coach in the West and that is Pop. Clips have Doc, OKC has Brooks who is McHale's equivalent. Get Melo now, and see if Lionel Hollins will come.

djohn2oo8
06-14-2014, 12:00 PM
Melo or no melo the rockets will be trash.
Do you not remember the difference before and after Kelvin Sampson left?

angrydude
06-14-2014, 12:03 PM
While true, there is only great coach in the West and that is Pop. Clips have Doc, OKC has Brooks who is McHale's equivalent. Get Melo now, and see if Lionel Hollins will come.

I'm not saying the rockets shouldn't try to get him. Just that they'd still be worse than the thunder/clippers.

djohn2oo8
06-14-2014, 12:05 PM
I'm not saying the rockets shouldn't try to get him. Just that they'd still be worse than the thunder/clippers.
That's why you go get an assistant who will take over as HC after next year or whenever. Hollins or some other defensive minded coach.

Clipper Nation
06-14-2014, 12:06 PM
Doc >>>>>>>>> Brooks and McFail, let's be real now....

Why would you even want that cancer Fatmelo? :lol

LkrFan
06-14-2014, 12:10 PM
If Randolph opts out Melo should go to Memphis.Please. He won't leave the Big Apple for Memphis. Would you? :lol

sook
06-14-2014, 12:10 PM
Do you not remember the difference before and after Kelvin Sampson left?

The woes greatly increased when Sampson left, but the defense was always suspect. The rockets lack discipline or any idea of ball movement...and it starts with James Harden. Unless Harden somehow magically becomes a good defender, swings the ball around, doesn't break up plays, and is held accountable...nothing will change. Adding another iso player into the mix will also stagnate the offense even further unless Harden agrees to play a 6th man role like Manu.

djohn2oo8
06-14-2014, 12:11 PM

Hell I joke about his Carmelo's shot attempts too, I just don't remember him being a cancer to any championship level team. And the Rockets have been out of the 1st round 1 time in like 15 years. I'm ready to try anything at this point.

LkrFan
06-14-2014, 12:12 PM

Please. Doc ain't shit without KG, PP, RA, and ThibsPERI:loD

57 wins, 2nd round exit. Per par, tbh, FWIW. :lol

djohn2oo8
06-14-2014, 12:13 PM
The woes greatly increased when Sampson left, but the defense was always suspect. The rockets lack discipline or any idea of ball movement...and it starts with James Harden. Unless Harden somehow magically becomes a good defender, swings the ball around, doesn't break up plays, and is held accountable...nothing will change. Adding another iso player into the mix will also stagnate the offense even further unless Harden agrees to play a 6th man role like Manu.
All valid points, still they lost to Portland because Jones nor Motiejunas could defend Aldridge. That is simply on talent. That and they got outrebounded pretty bad if iirc.

Clipper Nation
Hell I joke about his Carmelo's shot attempts too, I just don't remember him being a cancer to any championship level team. And the Rockets have been out of the 1st round 1 time in like 15 years. I'm ready to try anything at this point.
Rockets aren't a championship-level team and any team with Fatmelo isn't a championship-level team, tbh....

You know how Dwight hated playing with Kirby? He'd now have two wannabe Kirbys (Harden and Melo) denying him the ball :lol

baseline bum
Please. He won't leave the Big Apple for Memphis. Would you? :lol

Better than Houston though

sook
Doc is and always will be an overrated coach. Dude had Thibs as the architect of the C's defense and didn't do shit after.

Clipper Nation
06-14-2014, 12:14 PM
Please. Doc ain't shit without KG, PP, RA, and ThibsPERI:loD

57 wins, 2nd round exit. Per par, tbh, FWIW. :lol
Who's Fredo gonna hire: Byr:loln Sc:loltt, or Kurt Rambis? :downspin:

sook
06-14-2014, 12:16 PM
All valid points, still they lost to Portland because Jones nor Motiejunas could defend Aldridge. That is simply on talent.

True that the 4 was a big hole, but Dork Elvis knew that was on the to do list for 2 years. The rockets also had superior talent and experience, they just chose the worst possible way to execute. They didn't even double LMA till like game 4...you can't say that is on talent. Thats Dork Elvis thinking everything is a coin flip and his puppet Milk Hair waiving his hands in the air trying to tell our boys to "pLAY HaRdER!"

I want to remain optimistic...but logic keeps telling me that the rockets have their set of issues and unless they are addressed, no available talent will raise them to the next level.

djohn2oo8
06-14-2014, 12:17 PM
Rockets aren't a championship-level team and any team with Fatmelo isn't a championship-level team, tbh....

You know how Dwight hated playing with Kirby? He'd now have two wannabe Kirbys (Harden and Melo) denying him the ball :lol
Harden never really denied Dwight the ball, Beverley just doesn't have good floor vision which is why they need a true PG. And I see your point about Melo.

djohn2oo8
06-14-2014, 12:19 PM
True that the 4 was a big hole, but Dork Elvis knew that was on the to do list for 2 years. The rockets also had superior talent and experience, they just chose the worst possible way to execute. They didn't even double LMA till like game 4...you can't say that is on talent. Thats Dork Elvis thinking everything is a coin flip and his puppet Milk Hair waiving his hands in the air trying to tell our boys to "pLAY HaRdER!"

I want to remain optimistic...but logic keeps telling me that the rockets have their set of issues and unless they are addressed, no available talent will raise them to the next level.
Acquire some veterans like Marion, they'd help in playoff pressure situations. Our bench was absolute shit too to be fair to Milk Hair. And yeah Morey is at fault for leaving them naked at PF.

sook
06-14-2014, 12:22 PM
Acquire some veterans, they'd help in playoff pressure situations. Our bench was absolute shit too to be fair to Milk Hair. And yeah Morey is at fault for leaving them naked at PF.

It would help fersure, but they would still be selling the same brand of basketball. One that relies on heavily on iso and is easy to stop with playoff level defense. I just hope that they can grab Hollins as the associate head whatever position so he can smack some discipline and sense into the team.

djohn2oo8
06-14-2014, 12:23 PM
^Hollins would be excellent.

Baam
06-14-2014, 12:37 PM
Damn if even Woj is saying that he's gone then he's gone.

I disagree with the cancer statments... People said Lebron was a loser before as well... He just never had teams that were good enough, his game is one of the best to watch imo, I think he can last longer than most too since he relies on skills above anything... Gonna be a better deal than Love the PF who can't even make the POs...

LkrFan
06-14-2014, 12:40 PM
Better than Houston though
Truth bomb. :tu

LkrFan
06-14-2014, 12:40 PM
Who's Fredo gonna hire: Byr:loln Sc:loltt, or Kurt Rambis? :downspin:

Sc:(tt

LkrFan
06-14-2014, 12:41 PM
Acquire some veterans like Marion, they'd help in playoff pressure situations. Our bench was absolute shit too to be fair to Milk Hair. And yeah Morey is at fault for leaving them naked at PF.

Who is milk hair? :lol

djohn2oo8
06-14-2014, 12:42 PM
Who is milk hair? :lol
McHale :lol

LkrFan
06-14-2014, 12:44 PM
McHale :lol

:rollin :lmao :rollin

RsxPiimp
06-14-2014, 12:47 PM
There's going to be a lot of begging from Rockets fans this season :lol

benefactor
06-14-2014, 12:50 PM
Please go to Houston.

Please.

spurraider21
06-14-2014, 12:50 PM

I disagree with the cancer statments... People said Lebron was a loser before as well... He just never had teams that were good enough, his game is one of the best to watch imo, I think he can last longer than most too since he relies on skills above anything... Gonna be a better deal than Love the PF who can't even make the POs...
it was mostly laker/kobe fans that were bagging on lebron on cleveland... most people already knew he was the game's best

djohn2oo8
06-14-2014, 12:51 PM
There's going to be a lot of begging from Rockets fans this season :lol
No billboards though :lol

06-14-2014, 12:53 PM
Bulls is really the best destination. Enough defense for Melo to hide among and he can take all the shots he wants since everyone else sucks on offense. Bulls just need to get rid of Boozer, the other defensive liability.

MeloHype
06-14-2014, 12:56 PM
Bobcats would be a good fit

djohn2oo8
06-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Team USA Melo, would be nice.

LkrFan
06-14-2014, 01:02 PM
Bulls is really the best destination. Enough defense for Melo to hide among and he can take all the shots he wants since everyone else sucks on offense. Bulls just need to get rid of Boozer, the other defensive liability.

They might amnesty Boozer

jeebus
06-14-2014, 01:08 PM
They might amnesty Boozer
Too bad they can't amnesty that cripple faggot

UZER
06-14-2014, 01:14 PM
It's obvious Phil does not want Melo. If he did, Melo would not even be thinking about opting out.

Phil knows how to get people to do what he wants them to do while making them think they're making the decision.

Edit: weak minded people

He is gonna struggle in this role though because of all the bridges he burned belittling everyone else's accomplishments while stepping over them.

Chinook
06-14-2014, 02:18 PM
While true, there is only great coach in the West and that is Pop.

Um, the second-best coach in the league is also in Texas.

Chinook
06-14-2014, 02:29 PM
I've been a strong believer in the idea that Melo needs to find his way to Dallas where Carlisle can coach him up. Obviously, Dallas' offense is already elite and would become sick-nasty with Anthony in the fold. As far as Dallas is concerned, it wouldn't really be the best use of their cap space, as they need to bring in a least two strong defenders to compliment their starting lineup. But it's rarely a bad idea for a middling team to acquire a star without having to give up assets in the process.

Houston CAN'T offer Melo the max while also keeping Parsons unless they find away to do a sign-and-trade. It would be preferable for them to be able to do a big S&T with both Asik and Lin going out in the same deal. That would allow Houston to stay over the cap, giving them the use of the MLE and LLE and allowing them to keep whatever players they don't trade out like Beverly (and even buy draft picks). It would be much easier for them to gather talent quickly that way. The problem, in my mind is that the Rockets are going to have to give up a lot of assets to dump Asik and especially Lin. They probably won't be able to hold on to Jones, or Canaan or Covington or Daniels. They'll probably have to give up some picks over the next couple years. I can even see New York being a stickler on wanting Parsons included. All in all, though, the upside of having three stars (even flawed ones) is too great not to go for it.

Chicago needs to just go for Love. He's the better (cheaper) prize than Melo, anyway, and he'd fit their team much better. The Bulls' combination of cap space and assets mean they should be the front-runners for him.

Mark in Austin
06-14-2014, 02:32 PM
Harden, Howard and Anthony is a whole lotta diva for one team. It would be like watching the real housewives of basketball...
(Please GOD make this happen)

Mugen
06-14-2014, 02:37 PM
Rose/Butler/Melo/Gibson/Noah would be the best team in the East next year tbh. Would be a perfect fit.......

Chinook
06-14-2014, 04:04 PM
Rose/Butler/Melo/Gibson/Noah would be the best team in the East next year tbh. Would be a perfect fit.......

They'd almost certainly have to trade Gibson to acquire Melo. The SL would likely be Rose/Butler/Melo/Mirotic (if he's willing to come over for what the Bulls could realistically offer after signing Anthony; otherwise, it'd be Greg Smith)/Noah, which is also really damned good.

benefactor
06-14-2014, 04:08 PM
The thought of Melo in Dallas scares the hell out of me.

NBA Playoffs
06-14-2014, 04:13 PM
The thought of Melo in Dallas scares the hell out of me.

Why would he sign with an aging Dirk?

Raven
06-14-2014, 04:20 PM
when trading for melo puts you back ten years...

The Third Man
06-14-2014, 04:37 PM

Don't be so fucking stupid. You and the rest of our pussy fanbase are seriously bitching about adding Carmelo Fucking Anthony and only having to lose Lin and Asik and a pick, or two? Fuck off with that nonsense. Two years ago Kyle Lowry and Kevin Martin were our best players, yet here you are with your hurt vagina.

Gummi Clutch
06-14-2014, 04:41 PM
Don't be so fucking stupid. You and the rest of our pussy fanbase are seriously bitching about adding Carmelo Fucking Anthony and only having to lose Lin and Asik and a pick, or two? Fuck off with that nonsense. Two years ago Kyle Lowry and Kevin Martin were our best players, yet here you are with your hurt vagina.
He's pretty spot on with that post. Your logic doesn't make sense, you don't just add stars and say, "Championship!". Last year's lakers are a perfect example of why, and they were probably stronger mentally than the rockets.

sook
06-14-2014, 04:49 PM
You can stick your head in the sand and tell yourself whatever you want. Idiots like you were crying murder when I brought up the fact that the rockets would lose in the 1st round, a notion so unspeakable when everybody was immersed in the semen cloud of the regular season. That being said, there is no point in trying to explain something so fundamental to an ignorant Moreytard like yourself. I'm sure you use that same retarded phrase "In MoREY wE TRuST!"

Also, :lol at thinking Lin/Asik + a pick or two would get it done. You really are stupid.

KobeOwnsDuncan
06-15-2014, 07:09 AM

KobeOwnsDuncan
06-15-2014, 07:09 AM

KobeOwnsDuncan
06-15-2014, 07:11 AM

:lol

djohn2oo8
06-15-2014, 07:27 AM
You can stick your head in the sand and tell yourself whatever you want. Idiots like you were crying murder when I brought up the fact that the rockets would lose in the 1st round, a notion so unspeakable when everybody was immersed in the semen cloud of the regular season. That being said, there is no point in trying to explain something so fundamental to an ignorant Moreytard like yourself. I'm sure you use that same retarded phrase "In MoREY wE TRuST!"

Also, :lol at thinking Lin/Asik + a pick or two would get it done. You really are stupid.
To be fair, the Knicks are desperate for draft picks because they don't have any in this year's draft. Melo opts out, and they could lose him for nothing and not even get any picks. Or, they could do a SnT for Lin + Asik + Jones + 2 of their own 2nd round picks back they gave us, (2014, 2015) and 2 first round picks. Then they could move Asik for more picks at the deadline if they want. It's up to Phil.

Baam
06-15-2014, 07:27 AM
:lmao

TheCultOfPersonality
06-15-2014, 09:27 AM
If Randolph opts out Melo should go to Memphis.
That's a great idea, but I don't see Melo taking a paycut to go to Memphis.

djohn2oo8
06-15-2014, 11:05 AM
Rockets will have an easier time trading Asik than Lin, as mentioned in the article. But if either isn't traded before the start of FA, they are probably going in the SnT.

-21-
06-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Harden, Howard and Anthony is a whole lotta diva for one team. It would be like watching the real housewives of basketball...
(Please GOD make this happen)
Imagine the Anthony/Harden perimeter defense too. That team would suck especially with McHale coaching.

djohn2oo8
06-15-2014, 01:06 PM
Imagine the Anthony/Harden perimeter defense too. That team would suck especially with McHale coaching.
Carmelo would be playing the 4.

-21-
06-15-2014, 01:09 PM
Carmelo would be playing the 4.

That isn't much better tbh.

djohn2oo8
06-15-2014, 01:10 PM
That isn't much better tbh.
He'd be better defensively there than what they have. And he's a better rebounder.

-21-
06-15-2014, 01:12 PM
He'd be better defensively there than what they have. And he's a better rebounder.

I'm not familiar with Terrence Jones' defense. Is he really worse than Melo?

djohn2oo8
06-15-2014, 01:13 PM
I'm not familiar with Terrence Jones' defense. Is he really worse than Melo?
Hell yes. Jones is arguably worse than Harden.

RsxPiimp
06-15-2014, 01:18 PM
Dwight left the Lakers because of a ballhog only to end up in Houston with two of them :lmao

DPG21920
06-15-2014, 01:24 PM
Love to HOU and Melo to CHI makes the most sense basketball wise. They both should be able to clear enough cap space in order to get Melo and have assets to trade for Love.

djohn2oo8
06-15-2014, 01:26 PM
Dwight left the Lakers because of a ballhog only to end up in Houston with two of them :lmao
Who would be the other? Just asking since Kobe had only reached the 6 assists per game mark 3 times in 17 seasons while Harden reached 6.1 in his second year of starting. That and the fact Harden averaged more assists in his first year starting than Kobe through his first four years. Also, the fact James averaged the most assists on the team while Beverley only averaged 2.7, your small feeble mind could comprehend why Harden brings the ball up the court so much. And one last fact, Howard averaged more shot attempts playing with Harden than Kobe. Just a little information for your cranium.

DPG21920
06-15-2014, 01:29 PM

These are the types of posts that frustrate me basketball wise. Comparing Melo to Lebron is ludicrous on every level. People said Lebron was a loser? Sure, but Lebron took the terrible Cavs to the finals. Melo has done nothing like that. If you give Lebron Tyson Chandler and the shooters Melo has had at Denver/NY, there is no doubt they go to at least the ECF/WCF (Denver Melo).

Same with Love. If you put Love on the same Knicks teams that Melo has had (or Denver) both those teams go further, especially NY.

djohn2oo8
06-15-2014, 01:29 PM
Love to HOU and Melo to CHI makes the most sense basketball wise. They both should be able to clear enough cap space in order to get Melo and have assets to trade for Love.
HOU doesn't have enough assets to trade for Love, Boston can easily beat those other offers.

DPG21920
06-15-2014, 01:30 PM
Who would be the other? Just asking since Kobe had only reached the 6 assists per game mark 3 times in 17 seasons while Harden reached 6.1 in his second year of starting. That and the fact Harden averaged more assists in his first year starting than Kobe through his first four years. Also, the fact James averaged the most assists on the team while Beverley only averaged 2.7, your small feeble mind could comprehend why Harden brings the ball up the court so much. And one last fact, Howard averaged more shot attempts playing with Harden than Kobe. Just a little information for your cranium.

When you play a fast pace and have a high usage, you can get assists, especially with phenomenal shooting like HOU has. When you watch Harden, much like Kobe, they are iso-centric players that don't play the right way despite being immense talents capable of winning the "wrong way".

DPG21920
06-15-2014, 01:30 PM
HOU doesn't have enough assets to trade for Love, Boston can easily beat those other offers.

Disagree 100%.

djohn2oo8
06-15-2014, 01:45 PM
When you play a fast pace and have a high usage, you can get assists, especially with phenomenal shooting like HOU has. When you watch Harden, much like Kobe, they are iso-centric players that don't play the right way despite being immense talents capable of winning the "wrong way".
They don't have a reliable PG who can initiate the offense, which is why Harden has a high usage and which is why they must play fast paced. I think getting Lowry would help with halfcourt offense.

DPG21920
06-15-2014, 01:50 PM
They don't have a reliable PG who can initiate the offense, which is why Harden has a high usage and which is why they must play fast paced. I think getting Lowry would help with halfcourt offense.

Harden, both on OKC and HOU, was a high usage player. He will have the ball in his hands no matter what. That's not the issue. The issue is that unlike guys like Lebron, he likes to iso vs use his talents in passing the ball.

djohn2oo8
06-15-2014, 02:05 PM
Harden, both on OKC and HOU, was a high usage player. He will have the ball in his hands no matter what. That's not the issue. The issue is that unlike guys like Lebron, he likes to iso vs use his talents in passing the ball.

Him isoing gets open shots for others because no one else on the floor can create, nor do they cut to get open while he can penetrate and find the open man. So if he didn't iso when he needs to, and just passes the ball without trying to create a play, you just have someone else going Iso and it's ugly. (Parsons, Lin, Beverley, Jones) The problem with the team is they don't run enough pick n rolls, and they do not set proper screens so they cannot get open when they should. No one moves without the ball, including Harden. With LeBron, more often than not someone is cutting and moving in the offense.

DPG21920
06-15-2014, 02:10 PM
That's somewhat true, but not entirely. With his ability to drive, that alone creates passing lanes. They space the floor well. He simply chooses to ignore entry into the post and drive and kicks.