PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Hispanics Divided on Immigrant Issues

Clandestino
08-16-2005, 08:51 AM
U.S. Hispanics Divided on Immigrant Issues

By WILL LESTER, Associated Press Writer 20 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - A majority of Hispanics born in the United States don't think illegal Hispanic immigrants should be given drivers' licenses, according to a new poll.

Most foreign-born Hispanics disagree, according to the polling for the Pew Hispanic Center.

Six in 10 Hispanics born in this country approve of measures to prohibit illegal immigrants from getting drivers' licenses, while two-thirds born in another country disapprove of such measures.

The difference between foreign-born Hispanics and native-born Hispanics on the driver's license issue highlights the disparity between the two groups on several issues.

Foreign-born Hispanics take a more positive view than native-born Hispanics on whether immigrants strengthen the United States. Almost nine in 10 foreign-born Hispanics say immigrants strengthen the country, while two-thirds of Hispanics born in the United States feel that way, according to the poll.

"Among Latinos in the United States, there's a majority that views immigrants favorably, but there is a significant minority concerned about unauthorized immigration into the country and its impact," said Roberto Suro, director of the Pew Hispanic Center.

Two-thirds of Hispanics in the U.S. said undocumented migrants help the economy by providing low-cost labor. Again, foreign-born Hispanics were more upbeat about the impact of undocumented migrants than those born in this country.

Most Hispanics feel the number of immigrants coming in the country should stay the same or be reduced, with only a third saying the numbers should increase, according to the poll done for Pew and another done for Time Magazine.

Three-fourths in a Time poll of 503 Hispanic adults said people in the United States illegally are taking jobs that U.S. citizens don't want. The Time poll was taken from July 28 to Aug. 3.

The Pew study also looked at how Mexicans feel about trying to get into the United States.

Almost half of Mexicans, 46 percent, surveyed in May said they would go to the U.S. if they could. About two in five said they would be inclined to go live and work in the U.S. without authorization.

"The desire to migrate is not a phenomenon of the poor and poorly educated," Suro said. "The inclination to migrate is powerful in the middle class in Mexico, even those with college educations say they would go to the United States if they could."

The survey of Hispanics in the United States was conducted for the Pew Hispanic Center from June 14-27 by ICR and had a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points. In Mexico, Pew surveyed 1,200 adults in May and the margin of sampling error was plus or minus 3 percentage points.

___

ObiwanGinobili
08-16-2005, 09:26 AM
My father in law has always said that people only appreciate what they had to work thier asses off to get.

Sneaking into this country, working shitty shitty ass jobs for nothing and slowly moving up the ladder to citizenship (either for self or children).. possibly buying a house etc....
it's been a "right of passage" for generations.
Then you go and make it too easy for the next batch.. and they lose all appreciation.
Thye'd get some sense of entitlement like all these white folks.

and I always thought he'd be pro- lax immagration/drivers liscnese etc etc.
guess i was wrong.

batman2883
08-16-2005, 09:36 AM
I say send them all back, dang it they come in and make our literacy level as a whole a piece of shit, if they want a green card they have to have a high school diploma and legitimate proof that they will attend college.

Clandestino
08-16-2005, 09:37 AM
w/o immigrants we'd be fucked...

batman2883
08-16-2005, 09:38 AM
yeah for cheap labor thats correct..we'd have to start hiring the bums that are begging for money

Clandestino
08-16-2005, 09:39 AM
yeah for cheap labor thats correct..we'd have to start hiring the bums that are begging for money

haha.. except those lazy fuckers wouldn't do it...

batman2883
08-16-2005, 09:40 AM
haha.. except those lazy fuckers wouldn't do it...

This is true, very true, probably would be begging from our front lawns instead of their corners

SWC Bonfire
08-16-2005, 09:43 AM
w/o immigrants we'd be fucked...

It's getting to be that way. The immigrants themselves are no longer willing to do certain agricultural jobs when they can be paid more to do easier ones for other employers.

batman2883
08-16-2005, 09:48 AM
Yeah like KB homes

SWC Bonfire
08-16-2005, 09:49 AM
Yeah like KB homes

Exactly. Construction work is preferable to them and pays more.

ObiwanGinobili
08-16-2005, 09:53 AM
I think he means the dudes who stand on the corner all day on the wekends with a huge KB Homes sign hanging from thier necks.

batman2883
08-16-2005, 09:56 AM
ha ha ha no its true KB Homes hires homeless and immigrants for cheaper labor.....i had a friend get turned down cause he had too much experience and cause he had his own home.

batman2883
08-16-2005, 09:57 AM
I would get a homeless person to hold up a sign for my company they stand on the corners anyways...right?

CharlieMac
08-16-2005, 11:57 AM
They shouldn't. If relatives of mine came here legally, well......you cana see where I'm going with this.

On a related note. You can now renew your DL online.

fraga
08-16-2005, 02:32 PM
I say let them work here...hell they'll take the jobs not even the blacks wont...

[Runs to put on flame suit]

As far as giving them DL's and junk...not sure about that...only if they're legal maybe...but no way illegal...that's kinda cheating...

nickbroken
08-16-2005, 02:44 PM
The goverment will never get rid of them, would you throw away 7ish(maybe more) billion free dollars a year?

T Park
08-16-2005, 02:51 PM
Thye'd get some sense of entitlement like all these white folks

Funny I know alot of white folks, and I never heard them say or feel they had some sort of entitlement.

But, generalizations are okiedoke....

mookie2001
08-16-2005, 02:52 PM
I know a lot of white folks too, and if I can say one thing about them its, they sure love Tahoes!