PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: This Spurs Championship Team could beat any post 2007 Team

Amuseddaysleeper
06-14-2014, 03:12 PM
People REALLY overrate the 2008 Celtics, and I think 2009 Lakers would be very tough, but this is probably the best team the league has seen in about 7-8 years.

m>s
06-14-2014, 03:13 PM
'11 mavs would put in work

my list since 2007:

08 celtics
2012 heat
2011 mavs
09 lakers
2013 heat
2014 spurs
2010 lakers

Floyd Pacquiao
06-14-2014, 03:21 PM
Oh yeah no doubt. 2014 spurs could skull fuck any team in history.

Amuseddaysleeper
06-14-2014, 03:23 PM
Mavs match up poorly with the Spurs this decade, always have.

This year's Spurs would crush last year's Heat. Only 2009 Lakers would be very tough.

Gummi Clutch
06-14-2014, 03:31 PM
11' mavs wouldn't stand a chance.

unleashbaynes
06-14-2014, 03:41 PM
What yall talking about? '14 mavs took us to 7! '11 Mavs would absolutely be a challenge and I'm not confident enough to say we'd for sure come out on top.

Floyd Pacquiao
06-14-2014, 03:52 PM
What yall talking about? '14 mavs took us to 7! '11 Mavs would absolutely be a challenge and I'm not confident enough to say we'd for sure come out on top.

Meh mavs took them to 7 cause of the spurs lack of motivation. We all saw what happened in game 7 when the spurs had something to play for, tbh...

m>s
06-14-2014, 04:10 PM
there's always a severe lack of motivation whenever you're fighting for redemption and to win a championship. their season long study of how to beat miami is evidenced that they obviously are taking this very seriously.

this is the problem with spur fan they always win a few games then go full retard.

FkLA
06-14-2014, 04:17 PM
The '11 Mavs won in large part bc of a LeBron chokejob and the fact that scrubs like Mike Bibby and Joel Anthony were key players for the Heatles.

Theyre a fluke champ, similar to the '06 Heat when the Mavs choked. This years Spurs are historic. Theres really no comparison tbh.

Bynumite
06-14-2014, 04:17 PM
Really? A frontcourt of Gasol, Bynum and Odom vs Jim and Splitter :lmao

m>s
06-14-2014, 04:23 PM
The '11 Mavs won in large part bc of a LeBron chokejob and the fact that scrubs like Mike Bibby and Joel Anthony were key players for the Heatles.

Theyre a fluke champ, similar to the '06 Heat when the Mavs choked. This years Spurs are historic. Theres really no comparison tbh.

the '14 spurs won in large part bc of a wade/bosh chokejob and the fact that scrubs like norris cole, rashard lewis and an aged birdman were key players for the Heatles.

They're a fluke champ, similar to the 07 spurs when the mavs choked against golden state. the 2011 mavs are historic. there's really no comparison tbh.

spurraider21
06-14-2014, 04:23 PM
Jim splitter and fucking baynes skullfucked Dwight and pau :rollin

FkLA
06-14-2014, 04:27 PM
the '14 spurs won in large part bc of a wade/bosh chokejob and the fact that scrubs like norris cole, rashard lewis and an aged birdman were key players for the Heatles.

They're a fluke champ, similar to the 07 spurs when the mavs choked against golden state. the 2011 mavs are historic. there's really no comparison tbh.

No seņor, try again.

m>s
06-14-2014, 04:28 PM
b-but dets different :cry

you were on a roll in the diaw thread don't choke brah

Gummi Clutch
06-14-2014, 04:31 PM
the winningest franchise in sports, coming back from a barely lost finals appearance is different from a one and done team thats had difficulty making the playoffs since :lol

At the end of the day, your team won a ring. Thats all that matters, even if it was a fluky stretch.

FkLA
06-14-2014, 04:31 PM
A team that has won 4, soon to be 5, with the same core cannot be a fluke buddy. :lol

Bynumite
06-14-2014, 04:32 PM
Jim splitter and fucking baynes skullfucked Dwight and pau :rollin

Sure against a team without Kobe, Fisher, Bynum, Odom and Ariza... try again son. Chimp12 has a shit post game and no outside shot unlike Odom and Pau. Plus, a healthy Bynum had a 30 board game against Jim.

Gummi Clutch
06-14-2014, 04:33 PM
The highest winning % too :lol

Gummi Clutch
06-14-2014, 04:33 PM
Sure against a team without Kobe, Fisher, Bynum, Odom and Ariza... try again son. Chimp12 has a shit post game and no outside shot unlike Odom and Pau. Plus, a healthy Bynum had a 30 board game against Jim.
...:lol

They would get owned, period. This spurs team would soundly defeat them.

Bynumite
06-14-2014, 04:36 PM
...:lol

They would get owned, period.

Whatever you say. Miami's lack of a legit frontcourt is making spurfan delusional.

Ibaka's return was enough to win back 2 games for OKC, now imagine what Pau, Bynum and Odom could do.

Gummi Clutch
06-14-2014, 04:38 PM
Whatever you say. Miami's lack of a legit frontcourt is making spurfan delusional.

Ibaka's return was enough to win back 2 games for OKC, now imagine what Pau, Bynum and Odom could do.
:lol with the Ibaka excuse, you saw us beat them easily when he was playing too. Your bigs wouldn't have much of a chance, barely better than Memphis's bigs and we took them apart easily last year . It would goto 6 games.

RsxPiimp
06-14-2014, 04:40 PM
I don't know, 2008 Celtics were a different animal defensively and unlike the Heat, Boston didn't depend on a single player and Doc was a huge proponent of sharing the wealth offensively. 08 Celtics ranked as the second stingiest team of the post-1980 era, it would be interesting to see how they handle the Spurs for sure.

spurraider21
06-14-2014, 04:40 PM
Kobe would chuck them out of the game while being inefficient thanks to green/Kawhi. Neither Bynum not Pau could defend the spurs PnR at all

kobr would go 13-33 for 30 points and you'd say he had no help

rogues
06-14-2014, 04:41 PM

:lol I hate the Lakers but you have a point..

spurraider21
06-14-2014, 04:42 PM

The spurs have more than shown they can deal with bigs by crushing the Dwight/pau and Gasol/Randolph frontcourts last year. Okc went 2-2 in games with ibaka even though 3 of those 4 were in okc

Gummi Clutch
06-14-2014, 04:43 PM
I don't know, 2008 Celtics were a different animal defensively and unlike the Heat, Boston didn't depend on a single player and Doc was a huge proponent of sharing the wealth offensively. 08 Celtics ranked as the second stingiest team of the post-1980 era, it would be interesting to see how they handle the Spurs for sure.
This is actually correct, I forgot to add this. The 2008 celtics were the greatest defensive I have ever seen, and they boasted a balanced attack with 3 complementery stars close to their prime. That being said, I'm pretty confident that we could take them out.

Bynumite
06-14-2014, 04:57 PM
Kobe would chuck them out of the game while being inefficient thanks to green/Kawhi. Neither Bynum not Pau could defend the spurs PnR at all

kobr would go 13-33 for 30 points and you'd say he had no help

It's funny how in spurfan's hypothetical scenarios Kobe always shoots the Lakers out of games, when in reality Kobe has a career playoff average of 25PPG on 48% shooting vs the spurs :lol

Floyd Pacquiao
06-14-2014, 05:02 PM
Bynum and pau have terrible PnR D, spurs would shred them

IrisHockey
06-14-2014, 05:02 PM
Kobe has historically dominated Western playoff teams.

Amuseddaysleeper
06-14-2014, 05:12 PM
The 2008 Celtics were great in the regular season but had back to back 7 game series against vastly inferior teams. They also had one of the easiest paths in NBA history to win it all. Their playoff SRS is in the bottom 10 for all teams from 1968-2008.

They also managed one of the worst W-L percentages for a champion in NBA history with 16-10.

Ricky Davis
06-14-2014, 05:26 PM
the winningest franchise in sports, coming back from a barely lost finals appearance is different from a one and done team thats had difficulty making the playoffs since :lol

in case you haven't heard, Cuban broke the team up immediately after.

Franklin
06-14-2014, 07:40 PM
I think some people are confusing the Mavs in 11 and a team with the same squad as the 11' Mavs. Even if you had maintained the same squad (even with Peja not retiring) it would've still been nearly impossible to defend your title in 12, with such appetite gone. Only few teams (like the spurs) have acquired a champion's mentality and such mentality ain't cultivated in one or two years imho.

midnightpulp
06-14-2014, 08:30 PM
Really? A frontcourt of Gasol, Bynum and Odom vs Jim and Splitter :lmao

Best frontcourt no longer=rings

With how fast the game has become and with how teams employ floor spacing, having two 7 footers on the floor at the same time is instant death today. Perimeter defenses are so quick and long now they can swarm a big in the post and still recover on outside shooters. It's why the Spurs are running hardly anything in the post through Duncan anymore.

As Rick Carlisle said, "Slow play=death." Bynum would be beyond marginalized in this matchup. It'd have to be Gasol at C and Odom at PF, which kills the Lakers big man depth. The Lakers also have no stretch 4. Odom is about .320 three point shooter.

And forcefeeding Kobe in isolation would be disastrous against these Spurs. Derek Fisher would also be a huge liability defensively.

The '09 or '10 Lakers would get murdered with speed and ball movement. Coaches have figured out how to counter big frontlines better than ever.

Plodding Triangle offenses are antiquated today.

For evidence of this point, Bynum didn't even average 20 minutes a game against the Suns in the '10 WCF.

Those run-and-gun Suns were far past their prime and not very good defensively, and they were a tip away from pushing the "mighty" Lakers to 7.

The Spurs pass the ball even better than those Suns and have a much, much better defense. But the Lakers would win cause "muh frontline."

midnightpulp
06-14-2014, 08:50 PM
Best frontcourt no longer=rings

With how fast the game has become and with how teams employ floor spacing, having two 7 footers on the floor at the same time is instant death today. Perimeter defenses are so quick and long now they can swarm a big in the post and still recover on outside shooters. It's why the Spurs are running hardly anything in the post through Duncan anymore.

As Rick Carlisle said, "Slow play=death." Bynum would be beyond marginalized in this matchup. It'd have to be Gasol at C and Odom at PF, which kills the Lakers big man depth. The Lakers also have no stretch 4. Odom is about .320 three point shooter.

And forcefeeding Kobe in isolation would be disastrous against these Spurs. Derek Fisher would also be a huge liability defensively.

The '09 or '10 Lakers would get murdered with speed and ball movement. Coaches have figured out how to counter big frontlines better than ever.

Plodding Triangle offenses are antiquated today.

For evidence of this point, Bynum didn't even average 20 minutes a game against the Suns in the '10 WCF.

Those run-and-gun Suns were far past their prime and not very good defensively, and they were a tip away from pushing the "mighty" Lakers to 7.

The Spurs pass the ball even better than those Suns and have a much, much better defense. But the Lakers would win cause "muh frontline."

Oh, and those Lakers were also a Gasol tip away from getting pushed to 7 by a young OKC team. The Lakers also had only one double digit victory in that series.

The Spurs crushed a much better and more seasoned OKC team, even when the Spearchucker returned, and closed them out on their homefloor without Tony Parker.

:cry But Ibaka was 10% :cry

Didn't stop him from jumping around like the monkey he is and blocking 3 shots a game.

DAF86
06-14-2014, 08:52 PM
'11 mavs would put in work

my list since 2007:

08 celtics
2012 heat
2011 mavs
09 lakers
2013 heat
2014 spurs
2010 lakers

How can you put '13 Heat over '14 Spurs (if they win) when '14 Spurs is clearly better than '13 Spurs and '13 Spurs should have beaten '13 Heat?

midnightpulp
06-14-2014, 08:59 PM
How can you put '13 Heat over '14 Spurs (if they win) when '14 Spurs is clearly better than '13 Spurs and '13 Spurs should have beaten '13 Heat?

And putting the '09 Lakers above anyone is an insult to the game of basketball.

:lol Taken to 7 by Aaron Br:lol:lolks

m>s
06-14-2014, 09:01 PM
gotta take my shots at spur fan in the process

flying too high and mighty currently for my liking..

DAF86
06-14-2014, 09:01 PM
And putting the '09 Lakers above anyone is an insult to the game of basketball.

:lol Taken to 7 by Aaron Br:lol:lolks

Yeah, I don't agree with any of the teams put ahead of the Spurs but you could at least make an imaginary case for them, you can't do that with the '13 Heat.

midnightpulp
06-14-2014, 09:18 PM
gotta take my shots at spur fan in the process

flying too high and mighty currently for my liking..

Damn right we're flying high. We're about to (hopefully) avenge 6 like you did '06.

m>s
06-14-2014, 09:21 PM
im rooting for yall and made a thread a while back stating so..but the homers are starting to step out of line

midnightpulp
06-14-2014, 09:25 PM
im rooting for yall and made a thread a while back stating so..but the homers are starting to step out of line

:toast

Still nervous as shit. I expect the wheels to fall off at any second.

unleashbaynes
06-14-2014, 09:27 PM

Oh you mean the faggot that got yammed on by our 3rd string PG? That stiff?

jimbo
06-14-2014, 10:54 PM
'12 Heat probably give the '14 Spurs the most trouble.

1) They had an elite perimeter defense back then without having to resort to gambling. Wade's D was his bread and butter that postseason.
2) They weren't fatigued from going through 4 straight finals. Had the same kind of determination the '14 Spurs have.
3) Peak of their swarming defense. That's never a good sign with Turnobili around tbh
4) Their current role players weren't tired old shitbags

'08 Celtics were great in their time, but their defense isn't revolutionary anymore.

TDMVPDPOY
06-14-2014, 11:05 PM
14 kawhi vs 13 kawhi

did he put on extra weight start of the season? seems like he got bulkier to handle the likes of lebron and melo who can play lowposts...

Amuseddaysleeper
06-15-2014, 01:22 AM

Honestly, I'm pessimistic as hell.

Just in shock that we have another opportunity after last year's devastation.

TDMVPDPOY
06-15-2014, 01:40 AM
Honestly, I'm pessimistic as hell.

Just in shock that we have another opportunity after last year's devastation.

AS LONG enrique is still on this team, everyone is pessimistic...im expecting enrique hero or tina turnoboli to making an appearance

ezau
06-15-2014, 10:23 AM
2011 Dirk would skullfuck Splitter and I'm pretty sure TC would give Duncan a hard time. It's hard to pick between this year's Spurs vs. the 2011 Mavs.