PDA

View Full Version : Game 5: If You Are Erik Spoelstra, What Do You Do For A Last Hurrah?

hitmantb
06-14-2014, 09:21 PM
Understanding my back is against the wall, I will just put all the chips on the table and force the Spurs to beat me 1v1.

1) Never, ever trap or double team, play 100% 1v1 defense
2) If it is a screen, switch and if it is a mismatch, let the Spurs score 1v1 and don't give up three's
3) If Chalmers, Nole get beat off the dribble by Tony Parker 1v1, let him score and hope he tires out later
4) If Boris Diaw or Duncan backs down on a smaller player and score, let them score and hope they tire out later
5) Against Parker, Ginobili, and Kwahi, back off a step and dare them to shoot jumpers the same way Spurs played LeBron last year
6) Haslem or Birdman or even Oden on the floor at all times
7) Save big three's stamina for offense as much as possible, don't spend all of their stamina on a "turn up the heat" blitz

Basically force the Spurs to play 1v1 as much as possible, don't be afraid of so called bad match-up's, don't chase the ball, just pure man-to-man defense. Dumb down the game, watch Spain vs Netherland for inspiration on what can go wrong to titi-taka style passing if you can disrupt the system.

Vegas gave me 10% chance to win, if I can somehow make it talent vs talent instead of talent vs system, I can still win this series.

ducks
06-14-2014, 10:17 PM
play ZONE

Trainwreck2100
06-14-2014, 10:19 PM
He's probably gonna put a short leash on his pgs and expect Haslem and battier to save his ass

Mikeanaro
06-14-2014, 10:21 PM
I would be smashing my head against the floor.

florige
06-14-2014, 10:26 PM
From what I have seen I am not sure what he can do different. All of our players are now hitting their stride again. Lebron on Parker only works when DG and Leonard are both playing awful. His only play imo is to let Wade run the point, but his defense has been atrocious this series. He really is out out of options. OKC is alot better scoring team than Miami. If Miami can't figure out our offense they are done. I expect though for Miami to be up probably by 10 or so around the half from hot shooting from LBJ and Wade. I expect us in the 4th qtr to come out on fire and run them out the building again.

Random5843
06-14-2014, 11:20 PM
Go check forums to find new ideas.

BanditHiro
06-14-2014, 11:23 PM
throw in the towel and hope Riley sees how fundamentally flaw the team is right now and make appropriate changes in the off-season.

ducks
06-14-2014, 11:36 PM
TRY TO MAKE TP BEAT THEM GIVE HIM JUMPSHOTS

Beaverfuzz
06-14-2014, 11:41 PM
Battier will play.

Gino-Step
06-14-2014, 11:45 PM
Understanding my back is against the wall, I will just put all the chips on the table and force the Spurs to beat me 1v1.

1) Never, ever trap or double team, play 100% 1v1 defense
2) If it is a screen, switch and if it is a mismatch, let the Spurs score 1v1 and don't give up three's
3) If Chalmers, Nole get beat off the dribble by Tony Parker 1v1, let him score and hope he tires out later
4) If Boris Diaw or Duncan backs down on a smaller player and score, let them score and hope they tire out later
5) Against Parker, Ginobili, and Kwahi, back off a step and dare them to shoot jumpers the same way Spurs played LeBron last year
6) Haslem or Birdman or even Oden on the floor at all times
7) Save big three's stamina for offense as much as possible, don't spend all of their stamina on a "turn up the heat" blitz

Basically force the Spurs to play 1v1 as much as possible, don't be afraid of so called bad match-up's, don't chase the ball, just pure man-to-man defense.

This is 100% the game plan. Make it about talent vs. talent. Not talent vs. system. Forcing the Spurs to play 1 v 1 will make it a slower, low scoring game. It is near impossible to be blown out by 20 under this game plan. Of course, Miami also can't win as big as if their trapping defence works out. But in this case the Heat are happy to take a game decided by 6 points or less and this game plan gives them that for sure.

Good points mate.

Skull-1
06-15-2014, 12:07 AM
^^^^ Now I am even more uneasy about Game 5... Thanks a lot.

Nbadan
06-15-2014, 02:12 AM
The Spurs are a rhythm sort of team....if they get into a good rhythm they can score...alot....try and get SA out of their rhythm on offense...pressure the ball more...get a hand in the face on 3's....make Parker work on both ends...try and shut down the player with the hot had down...

mudyez
06-15-2014, 02:47 AM
if they score, they score....hopefully will tire out.

wow we gotta be a tired team...and have like 170 points :)

in all serieousness, I have to agree with most of OP's points!

keepinitwill
06-15-2014, 03:43 AM
I think Spo needs to do something crazy like this.....

PG James
SG. Wade
SF. Bosh
PF. Haslem
C. Oden

Mr Fundamental
06-15-2014, 04:27 AM
Full court pressure to destroy the Spurs sets on halfcourt.

ezau
06-15-2014, 05:26 AM
The Mavs dared the Spurs to go one-on-one, but it only worked for a few games. Whatever the Heat will do next game, I'm pretty sure the Spurs has already faced it in one form or another during the playoffs. Unlike the Mavs who have capable on-on-one defenders, the Heat only have James on the perimeter. Wade at this point isn't while Chalmers and Cole are laughable defenders individually. If Spoelstra puts either Oden or Haslem on either Duncan or Diaw, both Spurs big men have enough in the bag to make these Heat bigs pay. Spo has seen enough Kawhi in this series that he knows the kid can score one-on-one if he wants to. Parker, Manu, and Duncan might be old, but they're good enough to beat their men one-on-one especially against Heat defenders who are either tired or too old. Spurs will simply attack the paint all day long if the Heat decides to defend one-on-one, and in the course of a 48-minute game, that doesn't bode well for the two-time defending champs. The only Spurs players who aren't good one-on-one are Splitter and Green. Heck, Mills could easily beat anyone off the dribble anytime.

ezau
06-15-2014, 05:27 AM
Full court pressure to destroy the Spurs sets on halfcourt.

That's dumb. You expect an older Heat team to full-court the Spurs all game long? They'd be gassed by the end of the second quarter if they do that.

capek
06-15-2014, 05:35 AM
Better prepare by bringing extra lube. :tu

Mr Fundamental
06-15-2014, 05:46 AM
That's dumb. You expect an older Heat team to full-court the Spurs all game long? They'd be gassed by the end of the second quarter if they do that.
I didn't say 'all game long'.

They have to shake the rhythm of Spurs in some stretches.

If not, the game is over after 2 quarters. We saw it in the last 2 games.

Texas_Ranger
06-15-2014, 05:52 AM
Start Bosh, LeBron, Battier, Wade and Allen. Put Battier on Parker, LeBron od Diaw and Wade on Kawhi. Activate Beasley and hope he'll score a lot.

LoneStarState'sPride
06-15-2014, 05:56 AM
Their offense is what it is. Defensively, they're probably going to have to try to go into "frantic mode" at random stretches to throw our offense off kilter.

If they go zone, it's fucking over. Spurs' outside shooters will be pulling up from the banks of the Riverwalk and splashing 'em :lol

DarrinS
06-15-2014, 06:44 AM
It goes against how they play, but stop all that hyper-aggressive trapping of the ball handler.

TampaDude
06-15-2014, 07:30 AM
It doesn't matter what Miami does if the Spurs execute like they have in the last two games. Game over. Series over.

myhc
06-15-2014, 07:53 AM
I think we see a lot of Battier and Haslem tonight, little to none of Chalmers. I think Haslem may even start tonight to match up with Duncan. Expect to see Battier on Parker instead of Chalmers.

Atari Tim
06-15-2014, 09:24 AM
Miami has to play zone because they are awful at man to man except for LeBron.

exstatic
06-15-2014, 09:31 AM
Nothing he can do. We are officially a horrible matchup for them.

exstatic
06-15-2014, 09:32 AM
Miami has to play zone because they are awful at man to man except for LeBron.

Zone leaves your defensive glass wide open. Kawhi may have 40p/20r.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Post up LBJ all night and fail at trying to turn it into a 81-79 slugfest as the Spurs' transition game tears you to shreds off steals by Danny and Kawhi.

Heat are tired and outmatched, can't stay with all the rotations Spurs are forcing. Maybe they should try some EPO or blood infusions because that's about their only chance of keeping up for 48min. :lmao

Backs against the wall, I have no doubt they'll put up the best fight they can. But I think the Spurs can fight harder.

moisaenz
06-15-2014, 10:56 AM
Starting Harlem plays into the big line up of the spurs