PDA

View Full Version : How does Miami giving minutes to Haslem helps them or help us?

ElNono
06-14-2014, 10:23 PM
Spo said in the presser he might go there tomorrow for stretches. Bring in Haslem and go a bit bigger. What does Pop do? He could go big again with Tim and Tiago, which works defensively, but on the other hand, the flowing offense would likely take a hit...

Then again, Pop could just keep running with what we did the last couple games, and perhaps use Haslem as an attack vector if he's guarding TD...

What are your thoughts on a move like that from Miami? They're getting killed on the boards right now. Would Haslem help there?

cd98
06-14-2014, 10:28 PM
Plays defense and can shoot 15 footer.

dbreiden83080
06-14-2014, 10:29 PM
Don't change a thing on our end..

florige
06-14-2014, 10:31 PM
Wow Spoestra is desperate. lol

BatManu20
06-14-2014, 10:32 PM
Yea stay the course on our end tbh. If it for some reason isn't effective suddenly because of Haslem then maybe go back to the bigger lineup but I don't see any reason to change anything regardless of what they do. Just go out there and play with the same energy we have been and out-execute them.

florige
06-14-2014, 10:42 PM
Yea stay the course on our end tbh. If it for some reason isn't effective suddenly because of Haslem then maybe go back to the bigger lineup but I don't see any reason to change anything regardless of what they do. Just go out there and play with the same energy we have been and out-execute them.

Exactly. Its not like they have a Ibaka sitting over on the bench who could really alter a series. Haslem/Oden? Please be my guest. lol

Trainwreck2100
06-14-2014, 10:51 PM
He didn't play for a reason, they need shot blocking presence more than rebounding. All hel'll do is crowd the lane

freetiago
06-14-2014, 11:02 PM
The worst possible move he could make tbh..
people listen to the media narrative drivel too much about how hes a captain, has heart, effort and all that other nonsense
the reason he isnt playing is because he cant do anything

he was never a superior athlete but now he has nothing
never was a shotblocking presence but he would draw charges and vs a Spurs team that is moving the ball and not recklessly just driving in the paint all hell be doing is setting up the big for a handoff pass to another big for a dunk if he tries that shit
his jumpshot is semi consistent at best now and he can only shoot from 1 spot which is the baseline mid range, if he plays then Tim can basically stand in the paint all day and dare him to shoot or easily contest the shot compared to Lewis or Bosh who go all the way to the 3 and are actual threats
lack of height means Tim, Boris and even Splitter will score extremely easily, even easier then they are now
hes also a foul machine on top of all that and will put SA in the bonus early

Spurs should be praying they play Haslem tbh..

dg7md
06-14-2014, 11:06 PM
Shouldn't change too much because starting Diaw has proven to be a problem for Miami regardless to what they do... he should be starting next year, too, throughout the whole season.

spurraider21
06-14-2014, 11:14 PM
If he has haslem out there instead of Lewis all it does is give Duncan an easier defensive matchup that lets him clog the lane. You can also pick on haslem with the pick and roll

cd021
06-14-2014, 11:24 PM
He's not nearly as good as he once was. Maybe they give him Anderson's minutes or some of Lewis'.

I could see them going with a PG-less lineup or swap Cole in for Chalmers Have him play alongside Bosh and James maybe as a starter.

dg7md
06-14-2014, 11:28 PM
He's not nearly as good as he once was. Maybe they give him Anderson's minutes or some of Lewis'.

I could see them going with a PG-less lineup or swap Cole in for Chalmers Have him play alongside Bosh and James maybe as a starter.

The Heat would definitely be in damage control mode... the lack of a real PG has really hurt them this series.

cd021
06-14-2014, 11:45 PM
If he has haslem out there instead of Lewis all it does is give Duncan an easier defensive matchup that lets him clog the lane. You can also pick on haslem with the pick and roll

His mid range jumper (10-16 feet) over the past three seasons is at 38.5%, slightly below average.

He is much easier to cover than Lewis and the Spurs could live with him making a couple of uncontested jumpers as opposed to Lewis drilling 3's.

cd021
06-15-2014, 12:01 AM
The Heat would definitely be in damage control mode... the lack of a real PG has really hurt them this series.

I could possibly see them starting:

Wade
James
Lewis
Bosh
Haslem

with Battier, Anderson, Cole and Allen off the bench.

Haslem on Duncan
Bosh on Diaw
Wade on Green
Lewis on Leonard
James on Parker

I'd expect big minutes for James 42-45 minutes and Bosh 40+. Allen probably would need to give them 30 minutes and Cole and Battier play 10-15 minutes a piece. Playing Haslem and Battier hurt their offense and is no guarantee that it will help their defense contain the Spurs either.

Cole is the lesser of two evils with Chalmers playing so poorly.

xellos88330
06-15-2014, 12:25 AM
Starting Haslem could potentially bait the Spurs to playing in the post to exploit him. The Heat could possibly start bringing in the double teams to the post to force the turnover on the pass out of the post. It also gives them a better rebounding presence because Haslem operates closer to the rim than Lewis. Offensively he can stretch the floor out a little bit (especially from the baseline), and once again bring a bigger rebounding presence.

To defeat this lineup, the Spurs would need 3 shooters. One to deliver the entry pass, one to space and keep his man honest at the top of the key, one on the help side wing, and hide Parker in the help side corner. This will create a difficult situation for the Heat to send help. The only place they can help with the least risk is off of Tony in the corner.

Overall, I think playing big for Miami could hurt them if Haslem is their choice.

Jimmy Cobaine
06-15-2014, 12:42 AM
I remember watching game 3 and the first thing the announcer said about Diaw being in the line up was it didn't matter because both teams have seen each others lineups and game film so many times that there's nothing new. Little did he know that lineup change would crush the Heat.

midnightpulp
06-15-2014, 01:09 AM
Their offense and spacing was garbage with Haslem on the floor against Indiana. We can either spread him out with Diaw or oversize him with Splitter/Duncan.

Maybe some voodoo shit happens with him on the floor that transforms Miami, but I doubt it. He's a detriment to everything they try to do offensively.

kobyz
06-15-2014, 01:17 AM
Their offense and spacing was garbage with Haslem on the floor against Indiana. We can either spread him out with Diaw or oversize him with Splitter/Duncan.

Maybe some voodoo shit happens with him on the floor that transforms Miami, but I doubt it. He's a detriment to everything they try to do offensively.

It's help them defensively and culture wise, on offense they looking for Lebron to do the rest, he might have his best game of his career...

therealtruth
06-15-2014, 09:18 AM
Really the only chance the Heat have is if they can distract the Spurs from playing their game.

DesignatedT
06-15-2014, 09:22 AM
Boris and more Boris.

Spurs9
06-15-2014, 09:50 AM
Its not going to change anything, Pop has had a year to prepare for this very matchup with every lineup the Heat can possibly have and examine tape on how to counter everything they try. If both teams play at the best and are all healthy the Spurs still have the superior team.

mercos
06-15-2014, 10:00 AM
Who does Haslem play in place of? Obviously its not Bosh. If its Rashard Lewis, I'll take that trade all day because Lewis is one of the few Heat role players that has killed us. Birdman has given them some offensive rebounding and put backs, don't see Haslem improving over his performance either. The main problem for the Heat is that Haslem is too similar to guys they are already playing. The Spurs don't have to change their game plans for him, they are already accustomed to guarding bigs who can shoot the midrange jump shot in this series.

ohmwrecker
06-15-2014, 10:25 AM
Duncan will destroy Haslem on the low block.

Mugen
06-15-2014, 10:29 AM
hopefully his minutes come at the expense of Lewis and not Birdman tbh.

Warlord23
06-15-2014, 10:38 AM
The rotation of Duncan/Diaw/Splitter > any combination of Bosh/Lewis/Birdman/Haslem. All 3 Spurs bigs can finish inside, pass effectively and crash the glass. Miami's only chance of winning the frontcourt battle is for Bosh and Lewis to shoot long jumpers at a high %. Haslem can help them on the boards, but otherwise is not going to improve their offense or paint defense.