PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Fred Hoiberg

Rick Von Braun
08-16-2005, 10:07 AM
August 15
The Timberwolves waived Hoiberg under the NBA's one-time amnesty provision, the Associated Press reports.

Disclosure: AFAIK, he hasn't agree to terms with any other team yet.

I think landing Finley and/or Van Exel is a very long shot in practice. The Spurs should be getting very busy on the phone trying to land Fred Hoiberg.

He would be an AWESOME fit with the current Spurs. While playing 17 minutes in a disfunctional Wolves team last season he managed to become the highest accuracy 3PT shooter and the lowest TO player in the entire NBA.

He is not the fastest player in the league, and his defense may not be stelar, but he is a deadly medium and long range shooter, an excellent FT shooter, and a high IQ player. He will not complain about playing time and his role in a championship team coming off the bench. He is probably a cool guy in the locker room as well.

Think about the following: in any given part of a game, the Spurs could field a team with Manu, Hoiberg, Barry and Horry spaced in the perimeter and Duncan inside. That is 4 proven 3-pt threats complementing Duncan inisde game.

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2005, 10:11 AM
He'd also be a quintessential Spurs role player signing. I'd prefer McKie.

Rick Von Braun
08-16-2005, 10:13 AM
Aaron is a good option too.

Spurminator
08-16-2005, 10:15 AM
He had heart surgery and may not even play this season.

sa_butta
08-16-2005, 10:22 AM
Ive always liked Hoiberg but the heart problem may be too risky if he does play. I agree with Mckie option.

Rick Von Braun
08-16-2005, 10:22 AM
He had heart surgery and may not even play this season. Ha!... the fly in the ointment. I guess this is the reason why the Wolves waived him. I thought for a second that the Wolves's FO went completely bananas by waiving him.

SenorSpur
08-16-2005, 10:46 AM
Too much risk involved

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2005, 10:50 AM
He'd be great as an additional signing after the Spurs fill spots 11 and 12. Someone to spend a season on IR getting healthy.

dmac
08-16-2005, 02:45 PM
Hoiberg is a good guy, a good team player and he's from Iowa (like me!)

spur219
08-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Hoiberg is a great guy and I have always liked him but his heart problem might be a little too risky.

Dalamar_the_Dark
08-16-2005, 10:22 PM
Too risky. Maybe later into the season, if his heart is better, we could sign him as a Steve Kerr type of player. Just come into the playoffs and shoot the 3.