PDA

View Full Version : Filling out the roster.

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2005, 10:09 AM
I'd like to see the Spurs do the following to fill out their roster:

Re-sign Devin Brown.
Sign Aaron McKie for 2 years starting at up to the remainder of the MLE or the entire LLE.
If possible, use the remainder of the MLE to sign Maurice Evans away from the Kings or James Jones away from the Pacers.
Sign a vet point guard like a Travis Best or Howard Eisley for IR.

Starters
1 Parker
2 Ginobili
3 Bowen
4 Duncan
5 Mohammed

Bench
1 Udrih
1/2 Barry
2 Brown
2/3 McKie
4 Horry
4/5 Oberto
5 Nesterovic

IR
1 Best or Eisley
2 Evans or 3 Jones
4/5 Marks or other vet big

Rescueone
08-16-2005, 10:23 AM
We can't have Brown and Evans at the same time, It's one or the other. Marks will not be a Spur next year, we went back to Australia.

Solid D
08-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Sean Marks is not from Australia.

sa_butta
08-16-2005, 10:30 AM
New Zealand.

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2005, 10:39 AM
Well, then whatever vet big they can sign for the minimum to sit on IR all season.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-16-2005, 10:40 AM
aaron mckie would get ruined at the 3, in the west
i dont see the idea behind signing him

he is a solid player but we're stacked at guard, especially if we resign brown

if we get jones i say we keep him on the bench, not the IR

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2005, 10:45 AM
aaron mckie would get ruined at the 3, in the west

How so?

i dont see the idea behind signing him

Here's the idea: the Spurs have limited $ and minutes to offer a player to be the backup 3. McKie is a solid defender with a good outside shot as well as a team player.

he is a solid player but we're stacked at guard, especially if we resign brown

Spurs aren't "stacked" at the 3.

if we get jones i say we keep him on the bench, not the IR

Go with the experience.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-16-2005, 10:53 AM
How so?
because he's not a 3, doesn't play the 3, and last i checked the west has some pretty big and athletic 3's
when i used to watch the sixers (back when iverson was at peak popularity) they hardly ever used him as a 3

Here's the idea: the Spurs have limited $ and minutes to offer a player to be the backup 3. McKie is a solid defender with a good outside shot as well as a team player.

true that, but the money can be spent better elsewhere

Spurs aren't "stacked" at the 3.
Really?

Go with the experience.
i say sign him up if noone else is available, theres no doubt he's got experience under his belt
but im just hoping we can do better, cuz i see him taking away potential Barry minutes

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2005, 10:56 AM
because he's not a 3, doesn't play the 3, and last i checked the west has some pretty big and athletic 3's
when i used to watch the sixers (back when iverson was at peak popularity) they hardly ever used him as a 3

Sure they did. He was in their swing rotation. Remember Iverson and Snow in the backcourt? Who was at the 3?

true that, but the money can be spent better elsewhere

When Finley doesn't come and the Nuggets re-up Johnson who's left?

Really?

Um, yeah.

i say sign him up if noone else is available, theres no doubt he's got experience under his belt
but im just hoping we can do better, cuz i see him taking away potential Barry minutes

You say that as if it's a bad thing.

spurster
08-16-2005, 10:57 AM
Re-sign Devin Brown.
Sign Aaron McKie for 2 years starting at up to the remainder of the MLE or the entire LLE.
If possible, use the remainder of the MLE to sign Maurice Evans away from the Kings or James Jones away from the Pacers.
Sign a vet point guard like a Travis Best or Howard Eisley for IR.

Agree on the vet PG. As for the other four, I am nearly at the point of wanting the Spurs to sign anybody to shore up the swingman position.

I guess from the Spurs point of view, they have Devin in their backpocket, so they can wait for the better players to decide.

Solid D
08-16-2005, 10:58 AM
MB is correct. McKie plays both wing slots.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-16-2005, 10:58 AM
[CENTER]

Sure they did. He was in their swing rotation. Remember Iverson and Snow in the backcourt? Who was at the 3?

yeah you're right, but that strategy was put to an end 2 seasons ago, the sixers were horribly undersized

When Finley doesn't come and the Nuggets re-up Johnson who's left?
THEN mckie is a solid pickup

You say that as if it's a bad thing

Whottt and thispego have me convinced, barry will have a good next season :tu

there is no doubting mckie can play D though, and thats the primary reason i believe he's solid, moreso than his veteran status
however
any 6 foot 8 or taller small forward that we can sign, i believe we should get him before mckie

mrpach
08-16-2005, 12:08 PM
keep marks!

csw225
08-16-2005, 12:11 PM
is sean marks playing in new zealand or in europe this year and i would much rather have mike wilks than eisley or tbest and i havent heard anything about mike wilks this offseason

benjirh
08-16-2005, 12:21 PM
McKie, Brown, and Evans can all play the 3, but all of them are better suited for the 2. Ginobili and Barry can both play the 3 for that matter. So I don't see the point of having all three of them. We would be looking at having a slew of SG's who fill in at the 3.

spur219
08-16-2005, 12:27 PM
I don't think Evans or James Jones would be on the IR. They are good enough to make another teams roster.

Kori Ellis
08-16-2005, 01:17 PM
I don't think Evans or James Jones would be on the IR. They are good enough to make another teams roster.

True. I also think I'd rather have James Jones than McKie.

mookie2001
08-16-2005, 01:22 PM
all these guys suck, besides devin
if theyre not good you might as well get some young players with upside

Kori Ellis
08-16-2005, 01:25 PM

That's what Evans and Jones are.

mookie2001
08-16-2005, 01:29 PM
i like maurice
but im talking about some 17 year old 7-0 170lb europeans who can shoot
we need some of those

2centsworth
08-16-2005, 01:32 PM
That's what Evans and Jones are.
which one is the better defender? whoever that is that's the one the spurs should try to sign.

Kori Ellis
08-16-2005, 01:33 PM
which one is the better defender? whoever that is that's the one the spurs should try to sign.

I think the best defender they are considering is Melvin Sanders, who played on their summer league team.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-16-2005, 01:35 PM
If we've gotta pick one of the usual suspects I'd like to see us cherry pick Jones from Indy.

He can shoot the long ball, is very athletic, and could be molded into a Bowen replacement.

marcus
08-16-2005, 01:36 PM
I say that if we can get Dermarr Johnson we should go for him over Evans, McKie and James. There are certain players if they come to San Antonio they can turn into class A projects and i think Dermarr Johnson is one of those players.

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2005, 01:37 PM
all these guys suck, besides devin

Well, they didn't have $12 mil in cap room to offer Joe Johnson a contract, so deal with it.

Kori Ellis
08-16-2005, 01:37 PM
I'm not too high on DerMarr. I'd take Jones, then Evans, then McKie, then DerMarr. I think Sanders will be in training camp anyway.

2centsworth
08-16-2005, 01:43 PM
I think the best defender they are considering is Melvin Sanders, who played on their summer league team.
just read a few reviews about the guy, sounds like a good risk if New Jersey doesn't out bid the spurs. James Jones is the most intriguing because he seems to have good upside and a sweet stroke.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-16-2005, 02:01 PM
I'm not too high on DerMarr. I'd take Jones, then Evans, then McKie, then DerMarr. I think Sanders will be in training camp anyway.

i haven't heard of this sanders fellow

if he is the best defender they're looking at, and he'd not undersized, then i say go for it

Rick Von Braun
08-16-2005, 02:04 PM
Spurs players under contract:

Starters:
1 Parker
2 Ginobili
3 Bowen
4 Duncan
5 Mohammed

Bench:
1 Udrih
1/2 Barry
4 Horry
4/5 Oberto
5 Nesterovic

10 players under contract. Need two more players to fill the active roster, and up to 3 more players for the inactive roster.

My wish list:

I want a 6'8"+ defensive oriented player to fill in the long SF backup position. A player with some range would be a plus, but this is secondary. Jones fills that role perfectly, but he may be too expensive for the Spurs now that the Nets are in the hunt. Essentially, I want a player that can defend the 6'9" and 6'10" long SFs of the league. Aaron McKie is a good defender, but he is a little short for a SF (6'5").

I want an athletic PG. Nothing more, nothing less. A guy that would be willing to play a 3rd string PG in a championship team for the minimum. Players like Van Exel, Watson et al. would be amazing, but they are out of the reach of the Spurs.

I want a young 2/3 for practice fodder, injury insurance, and limited minutes. Devin Brown would be awesome, but we will see if the Spurs can bring him back at a reasonable price.

I want veteran 4/5 for practice fodder, injury insurance and limited minutes. Someone that replaces TMass in the roster.

mookie2001
08-16-2005, 02:05 PM
Someone that replaces TMass in the roster.

I think Tony Massenburg could do that well

Ocotillo
08-16-2005, 02:20 PM
Amazing. These moves can be made with Rasho remaining a Spur. Go figure.

Solid D
08-16-2005, 02:22 PM
i like maurice
but im talking about some 17 year old 7-0 170lb europeans who can shoot
we need some of those

mookie, mookie, mookie. :fro

Just to repeat back to you - you want a junior in high school who is seven feet tall, 170 lbs, can shoot, playing and defending grown men 50-70 lbs heavier than he is. I hope he can shoot from half court, dude.

Oh yeah, I forgot. We need "some" as in several, right?

mookie2001
08-16-2005, 02:25 PM
europeans are different from "high schoolers", nba, not me
if these guys are looking to fill rosterspots with no name scrubs and broken down vets, might as well gamble on a dirk, darko, zarko, mettjazaertis jekkifortic type player

Solid D
08-16-2005, 02:29 PM
Ahhh, okay. Maybe like that Jederzezichich guy that the announcer has trouble pronouncing?

mookie2001
08-16-2005, 02:31 PM
yeah
these guys are the next jack haley, julius nwosu, sean marks

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2005, 02:35 PM
um, ok.

Solid D
08-16-2005, 02:36 PM
:lol I'm just along for the ride on this thread.

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2005, 02:41 PM
um, the Spurs have the rights to a shitload of Europeans who can shoot, nevermind the ones they already have on board.

NZHayden
08-16-2005, 04:35 PM
is sean marks playing in new zealand or in europe this year and i would much rather have mike wilks than eisley or tbest and i havent heard anything about mike wilks this offseason

europe is the rumor over here, more money and better competition. but all of new zealand wants him to stay with the spurs, even if it is on the IR

boutons
08-16-2005, 04:43 PM
Sean is from all reports a great guy and teammate, and I'd love him to stay, but with his playing years remaining, I wouldn't blame him for going for the $$$ wherever else.

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2005, 04:50 PM
They don't necessarily need a veteran big on IR.

2centsworth
08-16-2005, 04:52 PM
marks needs to get every dollar he can while he can.

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2005, 04:54 PM
Well, they could get a rookie or a bubble player and let him play in the NDBL all season long.

benjirh
08-16-2005, 05:34 PM

I don't trust Duncan's knees, Horry's minutes, or Oberto's possible production enought to not have another veteran big. And if Nesterovic isn't here (which I doubt), I definitely want one.

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2005, 05:38 PM
Until Rasho is dealt, assuming they do not receive a decent big in return, they will be fine.

Gummi
08-16-2005, 06:17 PM
1) Re-sign both Glenn Robinson and Devin Brown. Hopefully we'll be able to sign Devin for around $1-1.2 million a season for two years. I'm not sure what Glenn is asking for, but I read that his agent wants to get around the MLE. Well, that's not going to happen so hopefully he's interested in signing for around $2 million a season for 2 years. I'm hoping the Spurs will have a bench rotation of Barry, Robinson, and Brown in the swing positions.

2) I think the Spurs won't be able to deal Rasho before the season starts so we won't need a backup center or any other big players. A big men rotation of Mohammed, Duncan, Horry, Oberto, and Rasho is good enough. I would like to see TMass return but he's probably not interested in the inactive list. So the Spurs will most likely sign a nobody for that spot.

Mohammed, Duncan, Bowen, Manu, Parker

Barry, Robinson, Oberto, Brown, Udrih, Rasho, Horry.

Inactive list, Wilks, ?, ?.

Now people, that's a great lineup IMO.

Dex
08-16-2005, 06:42 PM
Unless the market dries up really fast, I don't see Big Dog getting any offers for the MLE. Considering the guy couldn't ever field an OFFER after being waived last season (that is, until the Spurs came calling), I don't see any teams throwing money at him now even if he did have a nice showing with our club.

Dude needs to take the veteran minimum and come back for another run at a championship. He's already gotten paid in his time. He needs to start thinking about winning now.

exstatic
08-16-2005, 07:51 PM
I don't trust Duncan's knees...

Duncan's knees? What's that got to do with anything? His last knee issue was in 2000, and it was scoped and cleaned and hasn't given him any problems since. Besides, if anything happens to TD, we are not title contenders, period.

boutons
08-16-2005, 08:09 PM
"His last knee issue was in 2000"

no, his knee quit on him in an @DAL game, 2004, patellar tendonitis. He missed a couple games, about Feb I think.

Solid D
08-16-2005, 09:24 PM
This season...it was his ankles. He stepped on too many big feet.

I still think he needs more support at the ankles on his shoes, regardless of how well he's taped. Time for a new model, Timmah.

Solid D
08-16-2005, 09:26 PM
Those shoes this year looked like a shiny version of some loosely-laced BKs that dudes used to slide around in at the mall.