PDA

View Full Version : Stein on Diaw

ShoogarBear
06-15-2014, 11:17 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/11084748/boris-diaw-dishes-san-antonio-spurs

Which leads us to Nash's favorite Boris story. Or what folks from the Seven Seconds Or Less days refer to as the "That's What You Think" story ... which sounds even better when Nash says it with his attempt at a French accent."He kept driving to the hoop, and he'd basically be right on top of the rim and kicking it out to the corner for a 3 instead of just laying it in," Nash said. "I don't know if he didn't want to get fouled and go to the line or if he just didn't want to shoot, but we couldn't take it any more.

"I yelled at him, Raja yelled at him, everyone was yelling at him: 'Borrrrris! Just f------ lay it in. You're right on top of the rim. We need your points, man. Don't you understand? The layup is wide open!'

And he just said: 'That's what you think.'

jag
06-15-2014, 11:23 AM
:lol

DMC
06-15-2014, 11:27 AM
When the team is saying you don't shoot the ball enough, you're doing something right. They know you can get to the rim and you have a wide open look and you're a good shooter. That a lot of "doing the right thing" stuff.

mudyez
06-15-2014, 11:28 AM
LOL...I love that fat bastard of a baller.

lofds
06-15-2014, 11:29 AM
Hope we see some more Boris magic in a few hours.

I wasn't watching NBA during his early days but to hear he was the fastest player on the Bobcats and could jump at least as high as Amare is insane.

I wonder how much more effective he'd be if he was in top shape.

DPG21920
06-15-2014, 11:32 AM
"Boris walks into the gym one day wearing flip-flops and holding his customary cappuccino, which was a staple for him every morning," Griffin recalled. "It was during pre-draft workouts, so he sees the Vertec [machine] and asks what it is.

"We tell him it measures your vertical leap by determining how many of the bars you can touch. He asks what's the highest anyone has ever gone, and we tell him Amare' [Stoudemire] cleared the entire rack.

"Boris puts down the cappuccino, takes off his flip-flops and clears the entire rack on the first try. Then he calmly puts his flip-flops back on, picks up his cappuccino and walks away, saying, 'That was not difficult.'"

ShoogarBear
06-15-2014, 11:36 AM
Yeah, the flip-flops story is just as good.

The whole article is highly recommended.

Malice
06-15-2014, 11:42 AM
Holy shit, thats the best story I've heard in a minute.

boutons_deux
06-15-2014, 11:54 AM
"Ca, ce n'etait pas difficile. Ou sont mon cafe et flip-flops??"

Admidave50
06-15-2014, 11:57 AM
Excellent read and I have the perfect pic

https://scontent-a-cdg.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10421607_10154234458165335_8588922228547961737_n.j pg

GO SPURS GO

Admidave50
06-15-2014, 11:58 AM
sorry guys, the pic is super big... well big like "Bobo" ;)

Shastafarian
06-15-2014, 12:00 PM
That was not difficult. :rollin

Quasar
06-15-2014, 12:03 PM
Yeah, the flip-flops story is just as good.

The whole article is highly recommended.

Nice indeed! Thanks Shoogar... Thought you left.

Timvp and Kori are probably lurking...

Boris used to be one of the nightmare players on the Suns when they were our worst rivals.

I remember a back-breaking three pointer from a long time ago in one of the games... Completely shut down a late cone back attempt.

Glad he is with us now.

exstatic
06-15-2014, 12:09 PM
I was always infuriated that we couldn't cut the line in front of Phoenix to get him when ATL dumped him. Now, I think it might have been for the best. Pop, back then, probably couldn't have wrapped his head around Boris' personality. It's probably for the best that they joined forces at a later date.

DarrinS
06-15-2014, 12:14 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/11084748/boris-diaw-dishes-san-antonio-spurs

Great video on that page

spursparker9
06-15-2014, 12:19 PM
LOL...I love that fat bastard of a baller.

Mugen
06-15-2014, 12:22 PM
:lol Awesome stuff, tbh

Added Quinter: "We sent a trainer to accompany Boris one summer when he was playing for the French national team. The trainer comes back when the event is over and says Boris is in fantastic shape. Boris comes back to Phoenix after about two weeks, lifts up his shirt, and everyone is flabbergasted. How do you add that much weight in two weeks?

ChumpDumper
06-15-2014, 12:22 PM
Great video on that pageDid JJ Abrams edit that?

lol lens flares

scanry
06-15-2014, 12:24 PM
Stein is slowly turning into the new Johnny Ludden. I Like his style of writing.

Ludden's articles for SA Express News were amazing btw.

spursparker9
06-15-2014, 12:25 PM
Stein is slowly turning into the new Johnny Ludden. I Like his style of writing.

Ludden's articles for SA Express News were amazing btw.

Got to agree.

Stein really impress me with his recent article on Pop and Timmy before the finals started.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10955188/gregg-popovich-tim-duncan-stories

cd98
06-15-2014, 12:42 PM
Just tanking it until he could get traded or released and go to Spurs.

ShoogarBear
06-15-2014, 12:52 PM
Stein has always been a closet Spurs fan. You can find articles from him 6-7 years back gushing about them.

Quasar
06-15-2014, 01:26 PM
Got to agree.

Stein really impress me with his recent article on Pop and Timmy before the finals started.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10955188/gregg-popovich-tim-duncan-stories

Wow.. Indeed the best read in a long time since Ludden left.

So many "never-heard-before" stories in there...

Shastafarian
06-15-2014, 01:33 PM
Stein has always been a closet Spurs fan. You can find articles from him 6-7 years back gushing about them.

If anything he's a Mavs fan. That's where he got his start if I remember correctly. But he appreciates quality organizations so he has always seemed to be a fan of the Spurs.

Limguogolo
06-15-2014, 01:40 PM
"That was not difficult" "That's what you think"

That fat and arrogant croissant... Boris is cool.

http://youtu.be/7YyBtMxZgQs?t=13s

colargol
06-15-2014, 01:57 PM
https://scontent-b-mad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t1.0-9/10455587_864298806917923_5171756935048488015_n.jpg

cd021
06-15-2014, 02:24 PM
most interesting basketball players in the world

Diaw, Metta World Peace and Swaggy P

pikkiwoki
06-15-2014, 02:34 PM

From the comments:

"How Diaw Like Me Now?"

:toast

Macca76
06-15-2014, 02:48 PM
https://scontent-b-mad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t1.0-9/10455587_864298806917923_5171756935048488015_n.jpg

Amazing pic and actually an amazing friendship story between TP and BOBO to be friends for so long and be on the brink of being NBA champions together

Mel_13
06-15-2014, 02:51 PM
Amazing pic and actually an amazing friendship story between TP and BOBO to be friends for so long and be on the brink of being NBA champions together

As we consider everything that has occurred since Games 6 and 7 last year, I think that Parker and Diaw competing for, and winning, the European Championship was a critical event along this long road back.

Macca76
06-15-2014, 03:07 PM
As we consider everything that has occurred since Games 6 and 7 last year, I think that Parker and Diaw competing for, and winning, the European Championship was a critical event along this long road back.

So true, especially after winning in semi against Spain when they were absolutely demolished at half time. This was a game for the ages and one of the greatest TP performance I've seen.

Speaking of game 6, I actually think it's a catalyst for many things. It was a nightmare for everyone (I couldn't speak of it for months) but something good came out of it and for Boris it was the moment when Boris 2.O came to life. It helped TP and Bobo win the euro tournament and it certainly helped the Spurs in these PO.

ace3g
06-15-2014, 03:08 PM
So true, especially after winning in semi against Spain when they were absolutely demolished at half time. This was a game for the ages and one of the greatest TP performance I've seen.

Speaking of game 6, I actually think game 6 is a catalyst for many things. It was a nightmare for everyone (I couldn't speak of it for months) but something good came out of it and for Boris it was the moment when Boris 2.O came to life. It helped TP and Bobo win the euro tournament and it certainly helped the Spurs in these PO.

Pretty much this and Diaw confirmed it as well

Mel_13
06-15-2014, 03:21 PM

Speaking of game 6, I actually think it's a catalyst for many things. It was a nightmare for everyone (I couldn't speak of it for months) but something good came out of it and for Boris it was the moment when Boris 2.O came to life. It helped TP and Bobo win the euro tournament and it certainly helped the Spurs in these PO.

If the Spurs win this championship, people on message boards and blogs will go on about how the Spurs would have had back to back titles without the collapse in Game 6. I'll never buy that. This year's team may never have existed without last year's failure.

Baam
06-15-2014, 03:23 PM
If the Spurs win this championship, people on message boards and blogs will go on about how the Spurs would have had back to back titles without the collapse in Game 6. I'll never buy that. This year's team may never have existed without last year's failure.

Except Boris had a great impact when he was on the floor last year as well, he was just underplayed...

ElNono
06-15-2014, 03:24 PM
Great read, thanks for sharing

Mel_13
06-15-2014, 03:30 PM
Except Boris had a great impact when he was on the floor last year as well, he was just underplayed...

I'm not at all sure how that is responsive to my post.

ace3g
06-15-2014, 03:33 PM

+1 , if we would have won last year, Diaw would have never realized he needed to be more aggressive and Diaw 2.0 would have never been a thing.

Macca76
06-15-2014, 03:38 PM

And I give prop's on the FO to have kept the team intact despite this, re-signed Manu for a "high" price (which has proven to a very smart decision since he has a very good season and good PO) and gave money to Splitter.
And a big prop's to Pop who is a big part of turning the bad into good this year, managing the minutes, giving our role players a more important role and making the team less dependent on TP's scoring and especially motivating everyone, especially players like the big 3 who have won it all already.
All this after losing his two assistant coaches (I wonder btw if being "alone" this year has kept him more focused ?)

And of course prop's to the players

I just LOVE this team :toast

spurs10
06-15-2014, 03:40 PM
As we consider everything that has occurred since Games 6 and 7 last year, I think that Parker and Diaw competing for, and winning, the European Championship was a critical event along this long road back. I couldn't agree more. They are all events in the momentous excellence we are all witnessing now. Go Spurs!

Macca76
06-15-2014, 03:41 PM

IMO Boris was good but really lacked the killer instinct and the scoring mentality which allowed to score 26 in OKC in game 6. And allowed him to be a better point forward since now his scoring is more respected and keeps the defense more honest. Man I loved the guy already but he is REALLY better this year

ace3g
06-15-2014, 03:42 PM
Plus with Diaw 2.0 and Kawhi with another year; Pop was able to initiate Operation Post up

silverblk mystix
06-15-2014, 03:52 PM
Boris was not 100% healthy in last years playoffs - he had a bad back injury.

ace3g
06-15-2014, 03:58 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqMxKZlCcAAqDWa.png:large

Shastafarian
06-15-2014, 04:02 PM
"That was not difficult" will become widely used here I think. As it should.

NASpurs
06-15-2014, 04:02 PM
I'm literally laughing at these stories. They all sound like folk lore. Boris is an interesting dude. :lol

Baam
06-15-2014, 04:03 PM
Should have included the story about Boris "walking" his dog and going to the arena on a segway in Charlotte tbh.

Kinda sums up the difference between the two :

http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/4d2f7baa4bd7c8587d160000/charlotte-bobcat-boris-diaw-commutes-to-work-on-a-segway.jpg

http://blogimages.thescore.com/tbj/files/2012/12/lebron-james-riding-a-bike.jpg

PublicOption
06-15-2014, 04:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPcJaSc_s6Q

Macca76
06-15-2014, 04:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPcJaSc_s6Q

It was the semi against Spain I was referring to. At the very end of the video, TP, speaking to the other point guard Antoine Diot : "Antoine forget about me, call my number 1 out of 5, call for Nico (Batum), call for Bobo. Forget about me". And it was actually a 3 by Antoine Diot that began to make things change. Parker called for a team wake up and that's what worked. In the end he was essential and won the game but he made the good call at half time trying to make his teammates stand up for the win.

Macca76
06-15-2014, 04:21 PM
Plus with Diaw 2.0 and Kawhi with another year; Pop was able to initiate Operation Post up

And this is where excellent passing from our bigs becomes even more essential. It all ads up, inside, outside, passing, shooting the 3, running the 24s, it is REALLY a nightmare to defend when all goes as planned.

ShoogarBear
06-15-2014, 04:30 PM

I agree. In fact, the last three championships have all come after heartbreak the preceding year:

-losing to Lakers again in 2002
-0.4* in 2004
-Game 7 to Mavs in 2006

In retrospect, the Spurs have always shown an ability in the Duncan Era to come back after crushing playoff losses. But pulling it off this year would top them all.

ShoogarBear
06-15-2014, 04:34 PM
If anything he's a Mavs fan. That's where he got his start if I remember correctly. But he appreciates quality organizations so he has always seemed to be a fan of the Spurs.

Yes, he's a Mav Fan, but I think he might have started out first in LA before becoming a Mav reporter. But even when he was in Dallas he was always giving props to the Spurs.

Shastafarian
06-15-2014, 04:43 PM
Yes, he's a Mav Fan, but I think he might have started out first in LA before becoming a Mav reporter. But even when he was in Dallas he was always giving props to the Spurs.

You can kind of glean the intelligence of certain journalists by how they cover their respective sports. Makes me wonder how people like broussard got their jobs.

BillMc
06-15-2014, 05:18 PM
Glad the national media is finally appreciating Boris. Dude has been great this year.:toast

hsxvvd
06-15-2014, 05:27 PM

should hopefully read.... "finished on top".

Fpoonsie
06-15-2014, 05:30 PM
should hopefully read.... "finished on top".

I get where your head's at, but that would effectively ruin the meme.

ontheraise
06-15-2014, 05:33 PM
damn can't remove the stupid smile I got on my face after reading this article, diaw is such an unique player too bad it took 10years to nba to figure it out..

therealtruth
06-15-2014, 06:34 PM

I agree we had the pieces last year to get it done. But I guess if we relied on failing in the playoffs the year before, that would explain why we never won back-to-back.

ShoogarBear
06-16-2014, 08:10 PM
Good lord. First Marc Stein, now Grantland has Diaw stories:

http://grantland.com/features/boris-diaw-tony-parker-san-antonio-spurs-nba-playoffs-2014/

Still, he could be stubborn. Once, Dan D’Antoni recalled an adamant assistant telling Diaw to guard an opponent a certain way. Diaw was insistent that it would lead to an easy score — sure enough, it did. “Boris goes by the bench in his French accent and goes, ‘I try it your way and now I do it my way,’” D’Antoni said. “I started laughing on the bench.”

Terry Porter had once been Parker’s mentor as a guard in San Antonio, and when he was hired to replace D’Antoni, he further tempered Phoenix’s offense. He once scolded Diaw for taking a bad shot, Bell said. “Boris took offense to it, so the next night we came out in Minnesota, Boris — in only the way Boris can do it — would work his way to the basket and get to within point-blank range and fire passes back out all night,” Bell said. “I don’t think he shot a field goal all night. I chuckled to myself, because I knew what was going on. It was hilarious.

“Let’s just put it like this,” Bell added. “Boris has a super-high basketball IQ and Boris knows he has one.”

MI21
06-16-2014, 08:30 PM
:lol these are great stories.

Btw, Marc Stein I believe graduated from the same University as Bruce Bowen - I'm pretty sure he likes all things Spurs.

xmas1997
06-16-2014, 08:33 PM
Boris would have been a really good SECOND choice for FMVP.

exstatic
06-16-2014, 09:17 PM
The player Boris reminds me of most is Bison Dele, aka Brian Williams. Both were supremely talented, but you had to get their attention in a non-antagonistic way to get output from them. They were immersed in life, not basketball.

TheGoldStandard
06-16-2014, 09:19 PM
The player Boris reminds me of most is Bison Dele, aka Brian Williams. Both were supremely talented, but you had to get their attention in a non-antagonistic way to get output from them. They were immersed in life, not basketball.

I hated that guy with a passion but he was a baller.

exstatic
06-16-2014, 09:31 PM
I hated that guy with a passion but he was a baller.

He had HOF level talent. He could literally go toe to toe with ANY big in the NBA on any night. He just had other interests in life. Basketball was a means to an end. There was a really good story in SI a while back about his life and death.

Brazil
06-16-2014, 09:36 PM
I'm following Boris and Parker for a long time tbh

Boris is quite a character, he is extremely difficult to piss off. He is a real cool cat but one thing that pisses him off is players playing for themselves. That's one of the reason Parker hate makes me laugh, if Parker was half of what some dumb fucks spent their day describing there would be no chance in hell both will get along and they are like brothers.

for all the hate he is receiving spurs fan can consider themselves lucky to have Parker because without Parker there is no Boris 2.0 playing for the spurs.

xmas1997
06-16-2014, 09:49 PM

Boris is quite a character, he is extremely difficult to piss off. He is a real cool cat but one thing that pisses him off is players playing for themselves. That's one of the reason Parker hate makes me laugh, if Parker was half of what some dumb fucks spent their day describing there would be no chance in hell both will get along and they are like brothers.

for all the hate he is receiving spurs fan can consider themselves lucky to have Parker because without Parker there is no Boris 2.0 playing for the spurs.

Where are you getting all this TP hate from?

Mel_13
06-16-2014, 09:57 PM

Have you read ST at any point in the last decade?

Brazil
06-16-2014, 10:00 PM

:lol welcome to ST dude

after a fifth title, the only player yesterday and today getting shit on is Parker. I stopped trying to understand why a long time ago.

xmas1997
06-16-2014, 10:03 PM
Makes no sense.

hater
06-16-2014, 10:04 PM
Diaw to the Spurs Coaching bench in a couple of years. You heard it here first.

100%duncan
06-16-2014, 10:31 PM
Nice article :lol

urunobili
06-17-2014, 07:41 AM
Grantland on Diaw:

http://grantland.com/features/boris-diaw-tony-parker-san-antonio-spurs-nba-playoffs-2014/

spursparker9
06-17-2014, 08:05 AM
Grantland on Diaw:

:lol Boris got all the talent to become an All-Star but he refused.

will_spurs
06-17-2014, 08:05 AM
The article is right in saying that Boris always thinks "it's ok" and that not much fazes him. But that was true only until 28 seconds happened. From that point onward, I think Diaw "got it", and it changed him tremendously. Suddenly he's part of the French team that wins the long awaited Euro, and the Spurs team that goes all the way for the 5th championship. That's not a coincidence.

jag
06-17-2014, 08:24 AM

A lot of this comes from people seeing how aggressive he is with his scoring. They don't realize that for the past 7/8 years, Pop has asked Tony to be the primary scorer. The Spurs have needed Tony to play that way. That's changed over the past year, but the Spurs wouldn't have been in the Finals last year if it wasn't for him taking over games the way he did.

spursparker9
06-17-2014, 08:53 AM
The article is right in saying that Boris always thinks "it's ok" and that not much fazes him. But that was true only until 28 seconds happened. From that point onward, I think Diaw "got it", and it changed him tremendously. Suddenly he's part of the French team that wins the long awaited Euro, and the Spurs team that goes all the way for the 5th championship. That's not a coincidence.

Yeah, Boris's DNP-CD in game 3 and game 6 definitely are the factors that made him look at himself through his years of 'over passing'. Without game 6, Boris will not be able to improve to Boris 2.0

lefty
06-17-2014, 08:55 AM
:cry Our best French player

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-17-2014, 08:58 AM

Diaw had a interview early this year about his scoring early on. He said that winning the Euro championship changed him. I watched that game and Diaw was a scoring machine. If he played like that last year, the Spurs would be back-to-back champions right now.

I doubt Diaw let's up next year like some say. I think he had an epiphany during the Euro run and I think it changed him as a person and player.

Blake
06-17-2014, 09:01 AM
Boris was not 100% healthy in last years playoffs - he had a bad back injury.

:cry Pop's fault :cry

will_spurs
06-17-2014, 09:05 AM
I doubt Diaw let's up next year like some say. I think he had an epiphany during the Euro run and I think it changed him as a person and player.

I'd say the first step in the epiphany was "28 seconds" (realizing he could have done more), and the second step was the Euro (realizing doing more actually worked).

It's clear from the article that he thought he could get over anything that happened to him. But he couldn't get over "28 seconds".

Blake
06-17-2014, 09:08 AM

Yeah, I feel Nash's frustration too watching Boris make those beta passes instead of just putting the ball in the hole.......especially when he's wide open for 3.

Mel_13
06-17-2014, 09:10 AM
Diaw had a interview early this year about his scoring early on. He said that winning the Euro championship changed him. I watched that game and Diaw was a scoring machine. If he played like that last year, the Spurs would be back-to-back champions right now.

I agree.

ceperez
06-17-2014, 09:12 AM
I'd say the first step in the epiphany was "28 seconds" (realizing he could have done more), and the second step was the Euro (realizing doing more actually worked).

It's clear from the article that he thought he could get over anything that happened to him. But he couldn't get over "28 seconds".

Well said. Once you feel the pain of your own inaction, then you realize that you finally need to make an effort.

Smart folks like Diaw are lazy as hell because it takes so little effort for them to do something impressive.

Baam
06-17-2014, 09:31 AM
“We initially had a good relationship,” Silas said of Diaw. “When I got the job, I talked to him about where he came from and what he wanted to do. I asked him did he want to be an All-Star and he said, ‘Not really.’ It didn’t upset me, but I wondered why he would say that.”

:lol classic Boris tbh

Mr. Body
06-17-2014, 10:15 AM
Diaw may be the most important player on the team next year. Maybe not the best, but with Green and Leonard improving/expanding their games, Diaw has room to take more on his shoulders. I expect him to have a massive year, in his understated way.

Brazil
06-17-2014, 02:45 PM
A lot of this comes from people seeing how aggressive he is with his scoring. They don't realize that for the past 7/8 years, Pop has asked Tony to be the primary scorer. The Spurs have needed Tony to play that way. That's changed over the past year, but the Spurs wouldn't have been in the Finals last year if it wasn't for him taking over games the way he did.

that's not the only reason but yeah part of it

Parker is not a flawless player by any means but still the hate he is receiving from ST is mostly irrational and does not make sense. A lot of that is for trolling purposes but there is a big genuine part

Parker always did what Pop wants him to do when he does not he is being benched that's quite simple really

And as I said previously if Parker was an egomaniac capable of sinking Spurs just because he is frustrated to not get fmvp, he would never ever be Diaw's buddy. For France and Spurs both has a sole ambition is to make the team win. Only retards could think otherwise. This does not prevent TP from screwing up, missing an open team mate or taking a bad shot. TP is not strong enough to carry a team by himself to a championship. This fifth ring is a team win, Spurs learned to be less reliant on his scoring, opponents have been fucked all along between shut down Parker and being killed by the others and letting Parker open and being killed by his capacity to score. Parker has been key in this PO run on this offense but also in Defense. He globally did a solid job on the Defensive end.

SpursFan86
06-17-2014, 02:48 PM

A bit unrelated, but your comment about Diaw/Parker being like brothers made me think...how much will their relationship play a role in Diaw's decision to re-sign with us and possibly take less money? I don't remember how much he got paid in Phoenix, but it seems that as a 32 year-old on the back-end of his career, he'd be more interested in playing alongside Parker and having a chance to contend as opposed to going somewhere else to try and get paid. Do you think the chances he comes back next year (and for a reasonable cost) are pretty high?

will_spurs
06-17-2014, 02:51 PM
TP is not strong enough to carry a team by himself to a championship.

In reality nobody is. Either teams play great team ball ('04 Detroit, '11 Dallas, '14 Spurs) or they have several future HoFers on the roster as well as great roleplayers.

Jordan had Pippen, Rodman, Kukoc, Horry, Kerr...
Duncan had D-Rob, Tony, Manu, Bowen, Horry, Kerr... now Kawhi and Diaw.
Kobe had Shaq, Pau, Fisher and so on.
Lebron had Wade, Bosh, Allen, Miller, Battier.
Wade had the refs.

etc.
Nobody wins alone.

spurspokesman
06-17-2014, 02:53 PM
Stein is a cool cat who knows his bball and appreciates quality and class.

weeks
06-17-2014, 03:24 PM
:lol welcome to ST dude

after a fifth title, the only player yesterday and today getting shit on is Parker. I stopped trying to understand why a long time ago.
pop didn't help when he took him and diaw out at the same time. the crowd didn't quite cheer him as loudly as they cheer the other two. you could see he was a little bothered by it, i would have been too. wtf pop

T Park
06-17-2014, 03:31 PM
Boris Diaw has become my favorite non big three player.

He's Robert Horry but with passing. I pray when he retires, he wants to coach.

CGD
06-17-2014, 03:35 PM
Grantland on Diaw:

This is a great read

Brazil
06-17-2014, 04:10 PM
A bit unrelated, but your comment about Diaw/Parker being like brothers made me think...how much will their relationship play a role in Diaw's decision to re-sign with us and possibly take less money? I don't remember how much he got paid in Phoenix, but it seems that as a 32 year-old on the back-end of his career, he'd be more interested in playing alongside Parker and having a chance to contend as opposed to going somewhere else to try and get paid. Do you think the chances he comes back next year (and for a reasonable cost) are pretty high?

I think Parker has been key on Boris recruitment on both side spurs and Boris. First playing together on the same nba team was a dream for both so Boris was extremely open and happy of spurs interest. Second FO obviously consulted Parker regarding this opportunity knowing Boris passivity, issues with diet etc...

Now I don't think Parker will have any major influence on this resigning because on one hand FO knows what they have with Boris and second Boris independently of Parker knows spurs is the perfect fit for him, spurs are playing the way he likes to play.

based on that I do believe both side will find a fair offer taking into account these two elements, Boris is not leaving for a slight better offer somewhere.

in conclusion chances are yes pretty high he comes back next year and Parker will be a factor but not a major one in the process.

NASpurs
06-17-2014, 04:15 PM
I wish Diaw was my friend. :lol What a weird, interesting dude.

phxspurfan
06-17-2014, 04:20 PM
Boris Diaw has become my favorite non big three player.

He's Robert Horry but with passing. I pray when he retires, he wants to coach.

Spurs should hire him as a coach. Then hire a really good personal trainer.

Brazil
06-17-2014, 04:20 PM
In reality nobody is. Either teams play great team ball ('04 Detroit, '11 Dallas, '14 Spurs) or they have several future HoFers on the roster as well as great roleplayers.

Jordan had Pippen, Rodman, Kukoc, Horry, Kerr...
Duncan had D-Rob, Tony, Manu, Bowen, Horry, Kerr... now Kawhi and Diaw.
Kobe had Shaq, Pau, Fisher and so on.
Lebron had Wade, Bosh, Allen, Miller, Battier.
Wade had the refs.

etc.
Nobody wins alone.

I never said an individual win alone but except for pistons 04 and spurs 14 all the other titles have been taken with a dominant player. 11 Dallas is a good example, Dirk was the dominant player and carried his team like Lebron after, Shaquille, gasol etc before. I m just saying TP is not a dirk, Lebron, Kobe, bird, magic kind of guy. 11 Dallas was playing great team ball but relied heavily on dirk. Dirk was so good that he couldn't be stopped even with opponents keying all their defense on him. Dirk in 2011 had one of the most amazing individual playoffs run I saw. He was simply unstoppable in the fourth.

parker almost led a team to a title last year, that's already huge but big difference between spurs 13 and 14 is that this year spurs was much less reliant on his production. That was key for 14 title. It's a compliment to spurs organization not a shot at TP.

will_spurs
06-17-2014, 04:27 PM
parker almost led a team to a title last year, that's already huge but big difference between spurs 13 and 14 is that this year spurs was much less reliant on his production. That was key for 14 title. It's a compliment to spurs organization not a shot at TP.

I see what you mean. My reply was a general comment. TP is very consistent and can be lethal if the defense isn't designed to contain him (e.g. Portland in round 2) but I agree that he can be taken out of games at times and generally speaking won't produce at a superstar level if the defense focuses on stopping him, which the other guys you mentioned can usually do.

Brazil
06-17-2014, 04:29 PM
pop didn't help when he took him and diaw out at the same time. the crowd didn't quite cheer him as loudly as they cheer the other two. you could see he was a little bothered by it, i would have been too. wtf pop

Honestly they don't care tbh

spurs city and fans have been awesome for Parker. Dude is saying interviews after interviews he wants to live in SA after he retires like Bowen, Robinson etc...

another reason why I do not get parker hate on this board, Parker is engaged in San Antonio community and wants to stay there. It's not that common among players to want to stay in the city where they are playing. He fucking loves SA and Texas.

Brazil
06-17-2014, 04:35 PM
I see what you mean. My reply was a general comment. TP is very consistent and can be lethal if the defense isn't designed to contain him (e.g. Portland in round 2) but I agree that he can be taken out of games at times and generally speaking won't produce at a superstar level if the defense focuses on stopping him, which the other guys you mentioned can usually do.

Pretty much

thats one of the misunderstanding I believe. TP became in the game spurs leader / best player but He is not Tim freaking Duncan...not sure what fans were expecting that he replaced the dominant force Duncan was ? That's just silly.

will_spurs
06-17-2014, 04:36 PM
spurs city and fans have been awesome for Parker.

Indeed it's always worth remembering that SpursTalk isn't representative of Spurs fans in general. And actually only few idiots are real Parker haters... but they are volume posters who have apparently nothing better to do in life than disparaging one of their teams' best players on an internet forum. Ask anybody in the streets and they will only have positive things to say about Parker (or any of the Spurs players).

Brazil
06-17-2014, 04:53 PM
Indeed it's always worth remembering that SpursTalk isn't representative of Spurs fans in general. And actually only few idiots are real Parker haters... but they are volume posters who have apparently nothing better to do in life than disparaging one of their teams' best players on an internet forum. Ask anybody in the streets and they will only have positive things to say about Parker (or any of the Spurs players).

Thing is I'm not even a cheer leader or a groupie I'm too old for that. I was following a lot French bb and seeing a 19 y/o French signing for the franchise I was rooting for was quite awesome. I was very curious to see French players going in the nba so I started following him closely like also Tariq Boris later etc... This plus FNT I can say I know Parker a bit. The amount of stupidity I'm reading and the knowledge I think I have of him just push me for standing up for him once in a while even tho I don't care anymore.

the stuff about speedy Claxton is fun for instance, dude was a freaking kid and pop told him you are the pg fortunately spurs had a good back up to help him out in difficult situation and that became speedy bailed him out...stupid.

Brazil
06-17-2014, 05:24 PM
Grantland on Diaw:

Oh and this is probably the best article I read in English on Parker and Boris trajectory fwiw

urunobili
06-18-2014, 08:19 AM
Oh and this is probably the best article I read in English on Parker and Boris trajectory fwiw

It probably deserved its own thread but I preferred to keep it simple here.

IMO; Diaw's career can very well extend into his very late 30's in the Spurs system. I hope h e stays here a long time!

Brazil
06-18-2014, 08:34 AM
It probably deserved its own thread but I preferred to keep it simple here.

IMO; Diaw's career can very well extend into his very late 30's in the Spurs system. I hope h e stays here a long time!

somebody created a thread just for that article, it is a good read

I agree, I hope Boris ends his career with the Spurs

FkLA
06-18-2014, 08:47 AM
My French nigga will retire a Spur. Guaranteed tbh.

Brazil
06-18-2014, 08:53 AM

:tu

I would not trade him for D. Lee tbh

Baam
06-18-2014, 08:53 AM

I'm not so sure about that, I think finally winning with TP gave him the freedom to do just about anything this summer...

Mr. Body
06-18-2014, 09:49 AM
We're gonna be surprised and impressed with Diaw next year, IMO. He's going to take over a bit more of the scoring and be aggressive more often, spelling Duncan and becoming a major factor throughout the season.

kobyz
06-18-2014, 10:24 AM
20, 10 and 6 season for Boris next year?

Brazil
06-18-2014, 01:45 PM
20, 10 and 6 season for Boris next year?

yeah sure

kobyz
06-19-2014, 07:48 AM

yeah sure

Boris 3.0

Brazil
06-19-2014, 07:53 AM
Boris 3.0

Boris saiadin stuff

SpurOutofTownFan
06-19-2014, 10:04 AM
I'm actually amazed by the quality of this thread. There is still some hope for this site.