PDA

View Full Version : Will you support the new ACCD Bond?

Clandestino
08-16-2005, 02:51 PM
I will vote fuck no...

ACCD takes another stab at bond vote

Web Posted: 08/16/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Karen Adler
San Antonio Express-News

Six months after Bexar County voters shot down the Alamo Community College District's $450 million bond issue, another bond is placed back on the ballot, but this time with the backing of a broad base of community groups and leaders.

At a special meeting Monday night, the ACCD board of trustees unanimously voted to call for another $450 million bond election to fund expansions and renovations at Northwest Vista, Palo Alto, St. Philip's and San Antonio colleges. Funding also would establish Northeast College, the district's fifth campus near Live Oak.

The election will be held Nov. 8.

"It's like a cloud's been lifted," board Chairman Charlie Conner said. "We have an opportunity to do the things we're supposed to do, which is educate the community."

The new bond has one major difference from the one voters rejected in February: The $100 million earmarked for a nursing and allied health campus in the South Texas Medical Center is gone.

In the old bond, this plan was the source of the most vocal opposition, because it would have moved nursing and allied health programs from St. Philip's and SAC, both in the inner city, to the Northwest Side.

The plan reignited tensions over the community's commitment to its less prosperous residents in the inner city and South Side.

In the revamped bond, the $100 million has been distributed among all the colleges to expand nursing and allied health programs at their current locations. St. Philip's and SAC would get the bulk of the funding.

The new proposal has a unanimous stamp of approval from a 27-member citizen committee that spent seven weeks debating and analyzing demographics and data.

The racially and geographically diverse committee included members who campaigned against the old bond.

The blanket of negativity that smothered the old bond dissipated Monday night as those who had been in the forefront of the opposition pledged their support for the new bond.

"One team, one goal. Let's pass the bond," said the Rev. Thurman Walker, pastor of Antioch Baptist Church and chairman of the Community of Churches for Social Action.

Perhaps the dissension over the previous bond was blessing in disguise, Walker said, because now the community will be unified.

"I'm ready to get out there and hit the ground running," said Bexar County Commissioner Tommy Adkisson, one of several elected leaders who objected to the nursing and allied health programs being transplanted to the medical center.

"I'm so excited to be able to combine forces. ..." ACCD trustee Jennifer Ramos said. "I am 100 percent behind this package and ready to go forward and push for passage of this bond."

While inner city advocates appear placated by the new bond proposal, ACCD still will have to contend with voters who said no to the old bond because they don't want higher taxes.

If the bond issue is approved, ACCD's tax rate would rise about 3 cents to 13.7 cents per $100 of property value. The taxes for the owner of a $100,000 home would rise about $30, to about $137 a year. Property owners 65 and older or disabled would not be affected by the tax increase.

"It's a small price to pay for bringing San Antonio to where it needs to be," said Weston Martinez, a member of the citizen committee.

ACCD officials say funding for construction is critical for the city's work force, economy and health care. Enrollment at ACCD is 52,781 and is expected to rise to more than 68,000 in five years.

ACCD last passed a bond issue in 1987. Unlike public four-year universities, community college districts do not receive state tax dollars for construction projects.

Those who attended Monday's meeting reveled in the good will, but trustee Denver McClendon reminded them there still is work to be done. The voters have the final say.

"We are sitting here congratulating ourselves, but the battle is just starting," he said.

Details of the new bond proposal are available online at www.ceasefire.org. Click on "ACCD Bond," then "Final Report."

The ACCD board will hold its regular monthly meeting at 6:30 p.m. today at the Killen Community Education & Service Center, 201 W. Sheridan, near downtown.

T Park
08-16-2005, 03:00 PM
Im waiting for what Manny has to say on it.

I usually judge what I think on these Bond Issues on how he describes what they will do, what all is in it.

Mixability
08-16-2005, 03:01 PM

I usually judge what I think on these Bond Issues on how he describes what they will do, what all is in it.

I hope you're kidding...

Spurminator
08-16-2005, 03:03 PM
Hell yeah I'm voting for the ACDC bond!

http://www.gtab.net/images/acdc.jpg

AlamoSpursFan
08-16-2005, 03:04 PM

Kissing Manny's Ass Forum.

:lol

blaze89
08-16-2005, 03:09 PM
This one will pass, the last one didn't pass cause they pissed off the wrong people. Now the board is kissing ass, so this will go through.

Don't know if I'll vote for it, have to know what's in store. I have to study it intently cause I'm trying to get into the Physical Therapy Asst. program at St. Phillips.

Clandestino
08-16-2005, 03:11 PM
i'm sure it will pass bc the ones who voted against will vote it in now.. no one else really gives a fuck.. the poor want the school in their neighborhood, but they won't go anyway...

AlamoSpursFan
08-16-2005, 03:14 PM
We here at WOAI-4 are able to project that the bond will pass with the following vote totals:

Yes - 51%
No - 48%
Fuck No - 1%

MannyIsGod
08-16-2005, 03:21 PM
The last bond was a good bond with the exception of the new nursing school. They could have had this same bond the last go around if they simply would have listend. It is a good bond and the colleges really need the money. Will it pass? I doubt it. People come out in droves when they hate something but they don't show the same passion for things they would want.

The same voter turnout that killed the last bond will probably not occur and probably doom this bond as well.

But if the voters do turn out, it will pass.

08-16-2005, 03:26 PM
I never really understood the uproar over relocating the nursing school in the last bond proposal.

To me it only made sense to have the school located in/near the medical center so that the students could get some real practical application.

Spam
08-16-2005, 03:30 PM
Yes!

MannyIsGod
08-16-2005, 03:37 PM
I never really understood the uproar over relocating the nursing school in the last bond proposal.

To me it only made sense to have the school located in/near the medical center so that the students could get some real practical application.
Well, not to start the same old this (there was a huge thread debating hte issue) but these were some of the points of contention:

1. The Medical Center is great for medical research, but for actual nursing experience and information pertinent to the cirriculum that is being taught at the programs, downtown locations such as Brady Green were considered more ideal. So the Medical Center was not a slam dunk by any means. There were pros and cons for both locations.

2. The Medical Center location required the purchase of new land - expensive land - while the ACCD already had near St. Phillips.

3. Transportation for poor students. I didn't like this being such a large point of contention, but it was something that was thrown around to gain public suppot.

4. The biggest issue of all. The poorer constiuants were tired of seeing shit built on the NW side of town. I really believe they simply wanted more money invested in their parts of town, and I really can't blame them for that.

All in all, a downtown location woudln't have been a bad fiscal or academic option for the ACCD, but they didn't listen to the opposition and made decisions they felt would work out. After the ACCD scandals a few years ago, people got even more pissed, and thats why the bond failed.

Duff McCartney
08-16-2005, 03:40 PM
I'll vote for it before I vote against it.

CosmicCowboy
08-16-2005, 05:38 PM
I'll vote for it before I vote against it.

I thought you didn't vote. did you mean "vote" for it in the forum? They don't really count those Duff.

T Park
08-16-2005, 05:46 PM
I attended Palo Alto college, because it was close to my end of town, and it was a great enviroment.

I loved my time there, and in fact, I think I learned more there than at the bigger university, and I wish in some way I could go back to class at Palo Alto.

If all this bond is, is to raise some money for needed improvements, and not for frivelous stuff, Ill vote for it 100%.