PDA

View Full Version : Waving White Flag

Tres_Till_it_MHz
08-16-2005, 04:40 PM
Fuck me, I give up $2.45 a gallon. Move your bitch ass over Lance bfor I show you a real bike. Arrrrrrghhhhh Fuckin' Hostile.........

sa_butta
08-16-2005, 04:42 PM
$2.55 over here I10 and Dezavala
Bullshit.

Vashner
08-16-2005, 04:43 PM
Everyday like 100,000 chinese buy new cars.. In america baby boomers that had 4-6 kids.. well guess what they now need a car for each kid... There is no politician that's gonna fix this mess. Cause everyday the global demand to pump more goes higher and higher.. with no end in rising demand in site. At least we can finish pumping iraq dry now b4 we close all our bases there :)

sa_butta
08-16-2005, 04:44 PM
They will keep raising it because people will pay it. Everyone is not just going to stop driving their cars.

SpursFanDan
08-16-2005, 04:50 PM
Who I feel really bad for are the people like GiG who have to mow lawns for a living. People that actually depend on their vehicles, and aren't reimbursed for their gas useage, those are the people that these gas prices are really hurting.

sa_butta
08-16-2005, 04:53 PM
dont feel bad anymore for my aunt who never learned to drive and takes the bus everywhere, she is laughing at us all.

Tres_Till_it_MHz
08-16-2005, 05:00 PM
I hear you SpursFanDan

I wonder how all these people are making it especially the owner/operators of of long haul trucks. It's gotta be only a matter of time before the shit is gonna hit the fan. This could be the begining of something ugly.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-16-2005, 05:00 PM
i have a 99 mercury tracer, 7 bucks used to last me more than a week

i recently spent 25 dollars filling up

my chode has officially
------------->
EXPLODED

SWC Bonfire
08-16-2005, 05:02 PM
I hear you SpursFanDan

I wonder how all these people are making it especially the owner/operators of of long haul trucks. It's gotta be only a matter of time before the shit is gonna hit the fan. This could be the begining of something ugly.

Yeah, the price of everything will go way up. Get ready for some inflation.

I spent $74.78 filling up my Diesel pickup, so cry me a river. And yes, I use it for farm use, it's not a leather seat/platinum edition.

ZStomp
08-16-2005, 05:03 PM
It's not funny anymore. :(

tekdragon
08-16-2005, 05:04 PM
Don't feel too bad. Much of the country is over $3 now.

Cant_Be_Faded
Yeah, the price of everything will go way up. Get ready for some inflation.

I spent $74.78 filling up my Diesel pickup, so cry me a river. And yes, I use it for farm use, it's not a leather seat/platinum edition.

omg!

how do you do it? even if i were a lawyer or a tahoe driver i'd be cryin right now

i'm going to start walking to get my essential groceries

Tres_Till_it_MHz
Yeah thats what Im saying im pushing around a honda civic, the good ole days ten bucks now thirty...Most of us have a breaking point to where we will have to spend money more wisely, I guess I'm just much more PO than the rest of yall! Wave if you see me on the Bus....

SpursWoman
I put 13.004 gallons in my car this morning and it was $33.18. Unfuckinreal.

:(

sa_butta
08-16-2005, 05:06 PM
Wave if you see me on the Bus....just save me a seat they will be packed soon enough.
I have a civic and a Rodeo and the Rodeo (only a V6) is killing me.

SWC Bonfire
08-16-2005, 05:07 PM
Remember that it takes Diesel to plow fields, run harvesters, and operate irrigation pumps. Fertilizers are also petro-distillates.

Food will become more expensive.

N.Y. Johnny
08-16-2005, 05:08 PM
omg!

how do you do it? even if i were a lawyer or a tahoe driver i'd be cryin right now

i'm going to start walking to get my essential groceries

Unfortunately, that is me and i got it when gas was a little less than it is now...maybe around $1.60 or so, now i'm probably gonna find me a smaller car, that or a Vespa

sa_butta
08-16-2005, 05:08 PM
So we have our fearless leader to thank.

SWC Bonfire
08-16-2005, 05:10 PM
So we have our fearless leader to thank.

Uh, no, we have supply & demand and speculation to thank. Don't try to pawn this off on someone you don't like.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-16-2005, 05:10 PM
stop being unamerican
[/destino]

sa_butta
08-16-2005, 05:12 PM
Then who else is suppose to do anything about it?

SWC Bonfire
08-16-2005, 05:15 PM
Then who else is suppose to do anything about it?

You.

Check your air filter and change it if needs it. Raise the air pressure in your tires to the maximum allowed. Take excess crap out of your car. Slow down 5 mph. Don't drive like a bat out of hell. Combine trips.

Common sense stuff.

SWC Bonfire
08-16-2005, 05:19 PM
Oh, yeah: you may want to check your sparkplugs, wires and coils and replace them if they are old/worn/bad.

sa_butta
08-16-2005, 05:28 PM
I already know that stuff but that does not lower the price at the pump or the fact that I have to drive to and from work.

CosmicCowboy
08-16-2005, 05:28 PM
Who I feel really bad for are the people like GiG who have to mow lawns for a living. People that actually depend on their vehicles, and aren't reimbursed for their gas useage, those are the people that these gas prices are really hurting.

I just wrote a check to Exxon yesterday for $1000 for one month..Valero is a little more than that every month and Texaco is a little less...just depends where everyone is accustomed to filling up...and I only have 6 primary trucks in my fleet that are used every day...

T Park
08-16-2005, 05:36 PM
So we have our fearless leader to thank

uh genius, thank the enviromentalist wackos, who wont allow more refineries to be built, wont allow more domestic drilling and such.

If they could get those two things done, plus more development of hybring vehicles, combination gasbattery such, then it will get better.

Quit making Abdul and Akbar rich, and start putting more money back into oil development here in America.

BUILD MORE REFINERIES!!!

Shelly
08-16-2005, 05:42 PM
I just wrote a check to Exxon yesterday for $1000 for one month..Valero is a little more than that every month and Texaco is a little less...just depends where everyone is accustomed to filling up...and I only have 6 primary trucks in my fleet that are used every day...

I wrote a check to Chevron for $1147 and to Texaco for $1630--Same type of set up as you.

Spam
08-16-2005, 06:42 PM
http://www.bradmesser.com/cartoons2005c/$3_gas.gif

What goes around comes around.

AlamoSpursFan
08-16-2005, 06:46 PM
I heard something on the news the other day that scared the shit out of me. Some gas conglomerate did a study and found out that $5.00 a gallon is the approximate price that Americans will say "Fuck it, I'm not driving anymore". Get ready for $4 + by next year.

rl64tx
08-16-2005, 06:47 PM
I'm sure am glad I only have to fill-up once every 3 weeks!!! :smokin
It pays to work close to home :lol

Spurfect
08-16-2005, 06:48 PM
$2.60 in Houston :depressed

Samr
08-16-2005, 06:53 PM
I have to work at least an hour and a half simply to make up for the gas to get there.

I love my Dodge Ram 1500 QC (black and silver baby!). But goddamn if gas ain't a complete bitch.

Horry For 3!
08-16-2005, 06:57 PM
Good thing I don't have to pay for gas.

MannyIsGod
08-16-2005, 06:58 PM
Well, I know many people here dont really have the option of using Via for many of their needs, but I know that many do.

And out of the many that do, how many are going to do it? Probably very few. But if anyone needs a super cheap bus pass, let me know and I can hook you up.

ididnotnothat
08-16-2005, 07:00 PM
Legally? I used to ride VIA all the time but right now I don't really want to spend 1 1/2 hours when I can get there in 20 minutes.

Clandestino
08-16-2005, 07:03 PM
exactly... but manny thinks via is awesome public transportation..i guess when you have never left san antonio it would seem pretty cool...

timvp
08-16-2005, 07:08 PM
Honestly, the higher gas prices get, the less people that drive, the faster I get places. So whatever, I'd rather pay more for gas and have less traffic. Time should be more valuable to people than pennies an hour.

Plus I think the gas prices panic is overrated anyways. People notice it because you stand there and wait for the price and there is some shock value to it. But people are getting shafted in other areas just as bad or even worse and they don't notice.

SpursFanDan
08-16-2005, 07:13 PM
Some people don't have the money to spend that much on gas... it adds up. Its a good thing I drive a go-kart, I can get 20 miles to the gallon on that baby, its too bad it only holds 3 gallons.

MannyIsGod
08-16-2005, 07:16 PM
exactly... but manny thinks via is awesome public transportation..i guess when you have never left san antonio it would seem pretty cool...
I think VIA does an awesome job with the money they are given. If you want to compare VIA with other mass transit authorities, compare their budgets and then we'll talk.

Learn to keep shit in context. I'd hate to see the papers you write for your classes.

MannyIsGod
08-16-2005, 07:21 PM
Legally? I used to ride VIA all the time but right now I don't really want to spend 1 1/2 hours when I can get there in 20 minutes.
It takes me about 45 minutes compared to 20 minutes driving. However, I drive on mornings its raining and those days it always takes me more than 25 minutes.

But I usually put the 45 minutes or so to good use. I read/listen to new albums/work on things and it becomes way more productive time even though it takes me longer.

Clandestino
08-16-2005, 07:23 PM
Honestly, the higher gas prices get, the less people that drive, the faster I get places. So whatever, I'd rather pay more for gas and have less traffic. Time should be more valuable to people than pennies an hour.

Plus I think the gas prices panic is overrated anyways. People notice it because you stand there and wait for the price and there is some shock value to it. But people are getting shafted in other areas just as bad or even worse and they don't notice.

that is what i was thinking could be a benefit.... but i doubt it... everyone will drive even though we have the godsend...otherwise known as via to manny..

Dex
08-16-2005, 07:37 PM
If only we could do the Back to the Future II thing and fuel our cars/time machines on garbage.

That Doc guy...he was on to something.

1.21 GIGAWATTS!?

timvp
08-16-2005, 07:38 PM
that is what i was thinking could be a benefit.... but i doubt it... everyone will drive even though we have the godsend...otherwise known as via to manny..

People drive less when gas costs more. That's part of the business model.

Clandestino
08-16-2005, 07:39 PM
i doubt it will be enough to actually notice a reduction in the amount of traffic...

Clandestino
08-16-2005, 07:40 PM
also, this summer, no one has driven less... gas consumption is up, up, up...

Cant_Be_Faded
08-16-2005, 08:34 PM
clandestino you either post every thought that instantly pops in your mind or you truely are a master of idiocy

no crap man, it is summer, and gas prices are still affordable

i just dont get you

first you're mad at people who bitch about gas
then you bitch at people who talk about alternative transportation

oh boy!

Clandestino
08-16-2005, 08:37 PM
clandestino you either post every thought that instantly pops in your mind or you truely are a master of idiocy

no crap man, it is summer, and gas prices are still affordable

i just dont get you

first you're mad at people who bitch about gas
then you bitch at people who talk about alternative transportation

oh boy!

what can anyone do about the gas prices? nothing.. then stfu.. and via sucks ass... you can't argue with that.. yes, it is better than nothing.. but barely...

Clandestino
08-16-2005, 08:39 PM
suv and a harley are my modes of transportation..

Cant_Be_Faded
08-16-2005, 08:39 PM
what can anyone do about the gas prices? nothing.. then stfu.. and via sucks ass... you can't argue with that.. yes, it is better than nothing.. but barely...

so you admit its better than nothing?

Then...

YOU
STFU

We'll provide cheap public transportation!

(paid for by cheap public transportation against ultra conservatives who think every solution is a problem)

TheWriter
08-16-2005, 08:40 PM
As of 5:45 on the date of 8/16/2005. Location: East side.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/TimManuParker/gas.jpg

I want to cry.

Clandestino
08-16-2005, 08:40 PM
getting across town with via= 2 hrs..
getting across town w/feet= over a day

better, but not necessarily good.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-16-2005, 08:42 PM
if Bush was into the solar energy business prior to becoming president, would you have been the starter of this thread?
hmm

i wonder..

TheWriter
08-16-2005, 08:44 PM
if Bush was into the solar energy business prior to becoming president, would you have been the starter of this thread?
hmm

i wonder..

I don't get it.

I'm not bashing Bush with this post.

I'm just horrified at the skyrocketing gas prices.

I don't think Bush has anything to do with the gas prices doing what they have over the past year. But he certainly isn't planning for the long term future.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-16-2005, 08:45 PM
you and elpimpo should change screen names

NZHayden
08-16-2005, 08:45 PM
i work at a gas station. gas is whats called a grudge good. people need it but they dont want to pay the ridiculous prices for it. but hey i remember when $5 (usa$2.50) used to get you a big mac combo

Ginofan
08-16-2005, 08:46 PM
2.29 at the Exxon on Culebra & Mcmullen according to sanantoniogasprices.com

MannyIsGod
08-16-2005, 09:03 PM
Military Intelligence.

:lmao

It never fails to amaze.

Kori Ellis
08-16-2005, 09:52 PM
Were gas prices higher than this in 1979-80?

I remember my grandpa telling me that gas was going to be $4/gallon back then.

Shelly
08-16-2005, 09:53 PM
Complain if you must, but SA still has one of the cheapest gas prices in the country

spurschick
08-16-2005, 09:57 PM
Were gas prices higher than this in 1979-80?

I remember my grandpa telling me that gas was going to be $4/gallon back then.

I was living in Hawaii then and gas was close to $2 a gallon.

T Park
08-16-2005, 09:57 PM
Yeah come out here to Norther California and pay 275 and 3.09 for diesel for christ sakes.

Clandestino
08-16-2005, 09:58 PM
when it gets to 3.10 or so it will be a record...inflation adjusted...

A Serbian Beast
its around $2.80 up here.

Clandestino
i wonder what gas is in europe now... in 2002 it was like 4 bucks a gallon.. now? hmm

KewlKat00
08-16-2005, 10:28 PM
Complain if you must, but SA still has one of the cheapest gas prices in the country

after reading all of this and news articles, i am scared to see what the gas prices are at my local gas station (in la).

luckily i live .8 mile from work. i can go home for lunch and still only drive 16 miles per work week. i think the traffic bothers me enough that i dont drive much more than that out of work. so in a way the ridiculous traffic is beneficial. never thought i would say that.

MannyIsGod
08-16-2005, 10:34 PM
The record adjusted for inflation is 3.04 cents. Now, I know they have surpassed that in places in California, so I don't know if the 3.04 figure is based on a national average or a single occurence, but either way we're pretty damn close right now.

Clandestino
08-16-2005, 10:35 PM
some sites have it at 3.15, some at 3.08.. i guess it depends on the economist

N.Y. Johnny
08-16-2005, 10:36 PM
I think it would suck more if you paid by the Liter not the Gallon.

SequSpur
08-16-2005, 11:22 PM
NEW YORK (AP) -- Wal-Mart Stores Inc. struggled in the second quarter and muted its earnings outlook on Tuesday, again blaming higher gasoline prices for curbing the spending plans of its low-income shoppers. In contrast, shoppers at moderate-price department store retailer J.C. Penney Co. Inc. and at upscale Nordstrom Inc. focused on fashion rather than fuel, resulting in strong results and an upbeat outlook.
ADVERTISEMENT

Meanwhile, teen retailer Abercrombie & Fitch Co. posted big profit gains in the second quarter, though results missed analysts' forecasts. The company raised its outlook for the year.

The looming concerns over oil prices lowered the stock prices of many retailers.

Shares of Wal-Mart fell $1.53, or 3.12 percent, to close at $47.57 on the New York Stock Exchange, but gained 13 cents in after-hours hours trading. Shares of J.C. Penney Co. Inc. fell $2.16, or 4.2 percent, to close at $49.74.

Nordstrom saw its stock fall $1.48, or 4.54 percent, to close at $31.12, but its upbeat results, announced after regular trading, helped the stock rise $1.33, or 4.3 percent, to $32.45 in after-hours trading on the New York Stock Exchange. Abercrombie & Fitch, which also reported late Tuesday, saw its shares fell $2.32, or 3.7 percent, to $61.23, and drop another $5.25, or 8.6 percent after regular trading.

Wal-Mart posted a 5.8 percent gain in second-quarter profits, beating Wall Street projections, but the results marked the smallest percentage gain in four years. The world's largest retailer's revenues fell short of projections. Penney recorded a sharp increase in profits, boosted by strong sales of merchandise across all divisions, and said that annual profits would surpass Wall Street expectations.

Nordstrom had a 39 percent increase in profits, beating analysts' estimates. The company upgraded its profit for the year.

Abercrombie & Fitch enjoyed a 35 percent increase in second-quarter profits from a year ago, helped by strong sales of denim and knit fashions.

The disappointing results from Wal-Mart offer further evidence that the discounter can't rely on the lowest prices to fuel sales and profit growth as rivals like Target Corp. and Penney, both of which appeal to a higher-income shopper, keep sharpening their merchandising assortment. While Wal-Mart began to expand into trendier apparel and home fashions this year to make itself less vulnerable to the economy's jitters, the question is whether it can lure shoppers fast enough to turn business around.

"They have to keep up because the competition is offering more interesting merchandise," said Philip M. Zahn, retail analyst at Fitch Ratings.

For the three months ended July 31, Bentonville, Ark.-based Wal-Mart earned $2.8 billion, or 67 cents per share, up from $2.65 billion, or 62 cents per share, in the year-ago period. That was the smallest quarterly gain since the retailer's second quarter of 2001 when it recorded a 2.8 percent increase, according to Thomson Financial.

Wal-Mart reported sales of $76.8 billion for the three months ending July 31, up 10.2 percent.

Analysts expected a profit of 65 cents per share and revenue of $77.46 billion.

Wal-Mart Chief Executive Lee Scott blamed high gasoline prices for the company' shortfall. Scott said a cool and wet spring got the quarter off to a slow start but summer came in stronger than forecast.

Scott said in a call with investors Tuesday that inflation appears to be under control, except when considering fuel prices.

"I worry about the effect of higher oil prices," he said. Scott said higher prices at the pump could erase economic gains for a portion of Wal-Mart's customer base.

Scott said the company has kept its low-price items but has improved its mix of merchandise in mid- and premium-price categories.

Sales in stores open at least a year, known as same-store sales, rose 3.5 percent for the quarter at U.S. stores -- 3.6 percent in the Wal-Mart division and 2.9 percent at Sam's Club warehouse stores. The company projected same-store sales gains in the third quarter of between 3 percent and 5 percent.

Chief Financial Officer Tom Schoewe said utility expenses rose by $100 million in the quarter and fuel costs were up $30 million. Also, rising interest rates will affect the company's borrowing costs. Wal-Mart is continuing an aggressive expansion and plans to increase its square footage by 8 percent this fiscal year.

Wal-Mart projected it would earn between 55 cents and 59 cents per share for its third quarter and between $2.63 and $2.70 for the year. Analysts are expecting a profit of 60 cents per share for the third quarter and $2.66 for the year.

For the three months ended July 30, Penney earned $131 million, or 50 cents per share, compared with last year's net income of $1 million, which amounted to a per-share loss of 2 cents.

On a continuing operations basis, Penney's earnings were $122 million, or 46 cents per share, versus $68 million, or 22 cents per share, a year earlier.

The company's earnings from ongoing business topped the average estimate for income of 40 cents per share from analysts surveyed by Thomson Financial.

Net sales totaled $3.98 billion, a gain of 5 percent from $3.78 billion a year earlier but just missing analysts' consensus target of about $4 billion.

Same-store sales grew 4.2 percent last quarter, after increasing 6.9 percent a year ago. Meanwhile, catalog and Internet sales jumped 7.1 percent, compared with a 1.6 percent decline last year.

The Plano, Texas-based retailer forecast third-quarter profit of 82 cents per share, and fourth-quarter income of $1.52 per share. Those figures would result in yearly profit of $3.35 per share, well ahead of the company's earlier estimate for income between $2.96 and $3.08 per share.

Analysts currently predict third-quarter profit of 82 cents per share on $4.62 billion in sales, and fourth-quarter income of $1.50 per share and $6.32 billion in sales. For the year, earnings are projected to be $3.29 per share on $19.15 billion in sales.

Chairman and Chief Executive Myron Ullman said customers have absorbed higher gasoline prices "but we can't expect that to continue" if energy prices keep rising.

Associated Press Writers Chuck Bartels in Little Rock, Ark. and Dave Koenig in Dallas, contributed to the report.

TheTruth
08-16-2005, 11:35 PM
You.

Check your air filter and change it if needs it. Raise the air pressure in your tires to the maximum allowed. Take excess crap out of your car. Slow down 5 mph. Don't drive like a bat out of hell. Combine trips.

Common sense stuff.
He isn't kidding. I just got some new tires for my jeep, along with an oil/filter change, and there is a significant difference in the MPG i am getting now.

SpursFanDan
08-16-2005, 11:37 PM
He isn't kidding. I just got some new tires for my jeep, along with an oil/filter change, and there is a significant difference in the MPG i am getting now.

If people don't know that, you're either a chick (sorry ladies) or a retard. They even tell you this in all of these advanced auto commercials.

MI21
08-17-2005, 05:21 AM
Don't complain about $2.45 for Gallon.

1 Gallon = 3.78 Litres which is the system we use in Australia.

We are paying $1.25 AUS per litre, which works out to .95c US for 1 litre.

So essentially in Australia we are paying $3.51US for a gallon.

Now, a few days a week I do courier work. It is fucked.

xcoriate
08-17-2005, 05:24 AM
$76 to fill up today

*cries*

cmc$purs
08-17-2005, 06:43 AM
I Need Gas This Morning & I'm Scared... My Big Ass Suburban Is Killing Me Slowly

CosmicCowboy
08-17-2005, 08:07 AM
At least there aren't lines like in '80...I was driving a 450hp corvette back then and prices not only went through the roof, you couldn't even find it at times...

Gas stations would get their allocation from the distributor, sell out by noon, and lock the door and go fishing till they got their next truckload two days later. You could tell that a station had gas because the lines would be out the station and down the street...

I can remember sitting in lines with over a hundred cars in them watching my gas gauge wondering if I was gonna run out before I finally got to the pump...

Fat Bones
08-17-2005, 10:21 AM
I Need Gas This Morning & I'm Scared... My Big Ass Suburban Is Killing Me Slowly

I've driven my B.A.S. about 1800 miles in the last two weeks, it has been costing me over $78.00 to fill...

I say we invade Venezuela, and make it our 51st state.

SWC Bonfire
08-17-2005, 10:24 AM
I say we invade Venezuela, and make it our 51st state.

Maybe the rantings of Hugo Chavez weren't so crazy, after all...:lol

The sone
08-17-2005, 11:19 AM
It's not funny anymore. :(

yeah it is...gotta love my corolla :lmao

NZHayden
08-17-2005, 03:50 PM
yeah i got a corolla to, cheap as to fill up and easy on the fuel consumption