PDA

View Full Version : Gorilla Inducted Into Mascot Hall of Fame

ace3g
08-16-2005, 05:10 PM
Long considered the best mascot in the NBA, the Phoenix Suns Gorilla has now received the ultimate honor – getting inducted into the inaugural class of the Mascot Hall of Fame during a ceremony today in Philadelphia.

The Gorilla joins the Philadelphia Phillies Phanatic and The Famous Chicken as the Hall’s first class of inductees, which was chosen from a list of 14 finalists. That list included famous names such as Mickey Mouse, Ronald McDonald and Rocky of the Denver Nuggets.

“The Mascot Hall of Fame has been created to honor great mascot performers, performances, and character branding programs that have inspired tradition and positively affected their communities,” said Hall founder Dave Raymond. “The Suns Gorilla epitomizes the profound impact that a mascot can have on an organization and the greater community.”

To be eligible, a mascot must have been in existence at least 10 years, have had a major impact on their sport, industry and community, and have had a consistent performance that is both memorable and groundbreaking.

“The Gorilla’s been a Hall of Famer to Suns fans for many years,” said Suns managing partner Robert Sarver, who participated in the induction ceremony. “His induction into the inaugural class of the Mascot Hall of Fame merely confirms what we have always believed – The Gorilla is the best mascot of all time.”

The Gorilla becomes the third member of the Suns family to achieve Hall of Fame status in the past 12 months. Suns Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Jerry Colangelo was inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame in September 2004, while “The Voice of the Phoenix Suns”, Al McCoy, was inducted into the Arizona Broadcasters Association Hall of Fame in October.

In addition to Sarver, the Gorilla was also joined at the induction ceremony by Suns legend and Basketball Hall of Famer Connie Hawkins, Cedric Ceballos and several Suns Dancers. Suns.com also tagged along and will bring you exclusive video, photos and more later this week.

Link (http://www.nba.com/suns/news/gorilla_050816.html)

I always thought The Coyotee was considered the best of the best lol lol lol

SenorSpur
08-16-2005, 05:12 PM
Dude is overrated. The Coyote should have generated some votes. Maybe he should have gotten ejected from a game after all.

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2005, 05:14 PM
What about the man in the chicken suit making fun of injured players? That was fucking creative, man.

j-6
08-16-2005, 05:21 PM
Long considered the best mascot in the NBA, the Phoenix Suns Gorilla has now received the ultimate honor – getting inducted into the inaugural class of the Mascot Hall of Fame during a ceremony today in Philadelphia.

The Gorilla joins the Philadelphia Phillies Phanatic and The Famous Chicken as the Hall’s first class of inductees, which was chosen from a list of 14 finalists. That list included famous names such as Mickey Mouse, Ronald McDonald and Rocky of the Denver Nuggets.

Mickey Mouse and Ronald McDonald weren't first ballot hall-of-famers? Bullshit.

BillsCarnage
08-16-2005, 05:28 PM
Dude is overrated. The Coyote should have generated some votes. Maybe he should have gotten ejected from a game after all.

Where do you think all of the whacky skits of todays NBA mascots come from? The Gorilla.
MLB has the phanatic... MLB/NFL has the Chicken... For the NBA it's the Gorilla.

Tobias
08-16-2005, 05:40 PM
But was the Gorilla ever ejected for startin' shit? I don't think so!

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2005, 05:50 PM
Yeah, how many career ejections does the ape have?

BillsCarnage
08-16-2005, 05:57 PM
The Gorilla is the Grandfather of NBA mascots. The Gorilla did the same stuff the dog did before it was PC. The dog was just stoopid enough to think he could get away with it.

BTW, are there even any desert dogs in SA? And how long has he been a mascot for the Spurs?

samikeyp
08-16-2005, 06:05 PM
Yes there are....I have them very near where I live.

He has been around since 83 or 84.

BillsCarnage
08-16-2005, 06:10 PM
They need to make him more scarey.

http://www.justwide.com/images/coyotes

samikeyp
08-16-2005, 06:14 PM
He did get ejected this season....that was cool. :)

Willinsa
08-16-2005, 06:14 PM
The Gorilla is the Grandfather of NBA mascots. The Gorilla did the same stuff the dog did before it was PC. The dog was just stoopid enough to think he could get away with it.

BTW, are there even any desert dogs in SA? And how long has he been a mascot for the Spurs?

At least the coyote has been part of 3 championships, don't think the chimp has any.

Ripper
08-16-2005, 06:15 PM

are there any gorilla in Phoenix?

BillsCarnage
08-16-2005, 06:20 PM
are there any gorilla in Phoenix?

In the Zoo. :fro

But that's the novelty of the Gorilla. Most mascots have something to do with their team.

Rick Von Braun
08-16-2005, 06:34 PM
The Gorilla before the Coyote! Blasphemy!

Someone go and check on Whottt... he should be in suicide watch :lmao

Ocotillo
08-16-2005, 07:34 PM
Nice to see Andrew Ashwood is getting some love.

timvp
08-16-2005, 07:40 PM
Suns fan laying mascot smack :lol

An all-time new low as been hit. We might have been swept but our mascot is better.

:rollin

rwb
08-16-2005, 08:35 PM
I got in the middle of a story about this on the Today Show (I think) where they actually brought up the Coyote being ejected, which then morphed into a stupid bit about him being on steroids and a segue into talking about Palmeiro. But at least the mention got a few video clips.

Trainwreck2100
08-16-2005, 08:37 PM
I'm wating for him to run over someone with the motorcycle.

Kori Ellis
08-16-2005, 08:48 PM
The Gorilla is awesome. The original Gorilla (Henry Rojas) used to come to my highschool for pep rallies because his nieces (twins) were in my class.

PM5K
08-16-2005, 08:49 PM
Mickey Mouse and Ronald McDonald weren't first ballot hall-of-famers? Bullshit.

QFT

ace3g
08-16-2005, 09:34 PM
How come the Coyote was not even nominated

SpursFanDan
08-16-2005, 09:38 PM
Let the suns fans be number one at something.

When I was a kid, the gorilla used to freak me out. Does anyone remember the hornets mascot, that dude was cool.

my2sons
08-16-2005, 09:49 PM
i gotta say, i do believe the gorilla was the first to grease up his hair and carry a bottle of 30 weight in honor of ol' pat riley....classic....but i'm a SPUR FAN and the coyote rules....he's the only mascot i've seen dancing on the ceiling

Guru of Nothing
08-16-2005, 11:07 PM
The original Gorilla (Henry Rojas) used to come to my highschool for pep rallies because his nieces (twins) were in my class.

Useless ... Pictures ... without ... thread ... carpet ... lamp

I love lamp.

milkyway21
08-17-2005, 12:04 AM
How come the Coyote was not even nominatedthey were tired of the Spurs getting the 2005 finals hardwares-NBA Champ and MVP finals trophies.

besides, the Gorilla has better backup in Sarver singing "chicken" in the background :lol

or maybe the nominating officials were all relatives of that ref who ejected him........

anyway, congrats to the Gorilla :tu

sickdsm
08-17-2005, 09:44 AM
Still waiting on Sequ's bitching Chump.

Jdspur20
08-17-2005, 10:13 AM

if your best argument with the spurs is there mascot compared to another, we seriously OWN the suns. :lol

Vashner
08-17-2005, 10:36 AM
But I bet Coyote has a hotter wife.. Coleen Derk.. OMG.. when she used to do those Splashtown movie things on tv... HOT HOT HOT!!