PDA

View Full Version : The Official Confession Thread: I am sorry I never believed in this team

hitmantb
06-15-2014, 11:06 PM
20 years Spurs fan, started from Robinson in 1994 and all the way to today.

After game 6 2013's most painful moment in sports history, I thought we were going to get blown out in game 7, but we fought to the final minute until Duncan pounded the floor and every Spurs fan felt it. I thought that was our last chance with our aging GDP core. I was still proud of everything they did for us but I thought that was their last hurrah. Being a huge Duncan fan, I even thought he would be better off going to another team and get a ring Ray Allen style.

During the regular season, I dreaded the horrifying record Spurs had against other top teams in the league. I thought their top record was fool's gold from fishing lesser teams. I thought the lack of superstar ISO power will doom them in the post season when things get tough in the final minutes and they can not play their passing game against superstars.

Throughout the first six games against Dallas, I thought this was either another Memphis 2011 or Duncan/Parker passing the torch to Aldridge/Lillard or Howard/Harden in the very next round.

Before Ibaka went down, I thought we had no chance against the Thunder.

After Ibaka came back and the Thunder tied it up 2-2, I thought it was a repeat of 2012.

Before the NBA finals, I thought our fate was Utah Jazz, the perfect opponent to crown King's three-peat.

When the Heat tied it up 1-1, I thought had there been AC in game 1, we would be down 0-2. I thought the Heat would take it in 6.

Thank you Spurs for proving me wrong, over and over and over again! Thank you Pop for perfecting the system after three years, reducing our dependency on GDP with each iteration, polishing our passing/finesse/precision game to perfection and making our offense 100% balanced along the way. Parker left the game at half time and we went from down 7 to closing out the Thunder on a floor we have gone 0-9 on in OT. Parker scored 0 points and we went from down 16 to up 16 in a closing game against the Heat, that is the difference of this year's team and last!

Here is one last thought and I hope it ends up becoming a confession this time next year.

I hope Duncan retires with a story book ending like David Robinson did in 2003. Without vengeance in their hearts, it is just not possible for everyone to maintain the 120% effort next year and the GDP core, while carrying less weight than any of the previous years, is another year older. You only need to look at the Heat to see how difficult it is to repeat past success.

But knowing Duncan, he loves the game as much as MJ did, and deep inside every bit as competitive. He may forfeit the same storybook ending MJ had and play until the wheels fall off. Either way, I am lucky to watch him from rookie season to today.

And no matter what he chooses, he is my favorite athlete of any sport of all time.

Knoxxx
06-15-2014, 11:10 PM
I never doubted us for a second I thought we were going to win in 2012 and 2013. After 2013 I knew we could do it for sure.

I date back to Iceman in the Arena as a young boy in the mid-70s.

Thanks for the confession, next time believe!

Malik Hairston
06-15-2014, 11:15 PM
Good thread, tbh..most Spurs fans doubted the team this season, to be fair..

tdunk21
06-15-2014, 11:18 PM
:toast

HemisfairArena
06-15-2014, 11:19 PM
Why apologize?,,,we all doubt this team every season,,,,just enjoy the moment and soak it in. We are the champs! Don't let anyone say you are any less of a fan because you didn't live up to their standards as a fan.

wildcardX
06-15-2014, 11:35 PM
Just think about it this way the more doubts that you had about the Spurs throughout the season, the closer they were getting to the championship.

RD2191
06-15-2014, 11:37 PM
:wakeupNever once gave up on this team.