PDA

View Full Version : Above all, I'm proud of Manu

ErnestLynch
06-16-2014, 01:07 AM
I've been one of his biggest critics the last few years. Playing out of control, passing into the stands, being a turnover machine, having a great game followed by 5 terrible games. My biggest beef was as he aged, he didn't play 'within himself'. Writing checks his body couldn't cash sorta' thing. But man, he got it together and EVERY TIME the Spurs needed that spark, he delivered.

Thank you Manu. Incredible year, incredible playoffs. You came through.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqNyfbOCcAAQB9e.jpg

John Petrucci
06-16-2014, 01:09 AM
Great thread. So proud of Manu :flag:

Kyl3
06-16-2014, 01:10 AM
:tu
He played very well.

DPG21920
06-16-2014, 01:11 AM
Absolutely. I have always loved Manu for the same reasons many Spurs fans do, but also because I was an athlete and I appreciate and connect with guys like him. I was furious over last year and really thought he was on his last legs and nothing was more gratifying to me than seeing Manu work so hard and play so well. That's Manu. He avenges any wrongs he might have done and takes it personally. It's why no matter how bad he was playing, Pop couldn't pull him last year.

SpursRock20
06-16-2014, 01:14 AM
You know Ginobili is old if he has dunked on a dinosaur. You the man, Manu!

We wouldn't have won tonight if it wasn't for his spark in the first half off of the bench! :toast

mVp
06-16-2014, 01:14 AM
And the legend goes on...

Horry Hipcheck
06-16-2014, 01:22 AM
The manner in which he began to show signs of deterioration - the turnovers, the bad plays, missed shots, etc. - never really impacted how I felt about him. Yeah, he could be frustrating at times because it looked to us like someone throwing his head against a wall over and over again and hoping eventually to knock it down. To us, his shortcomings seemed obvious, and the way he kept throwing himself into the paint or rocketing passes into the nosebleeds or coughing up the ball on a drive was indicative of the end of his usefulness and showed signs that he just wasn't able to rationalize his own weaknesses anymore. I think a lot of us cast him as stubborn, tbh.

But I was reminded tonight of what Pop once called him, "the ultimate competitor", and that's really what he's always been. The guy who never really becomes timid or shies away from pressure, who keeps throwing himself at a defense and trusting that eventually something 2005-esque will come his way and the opponent will crack. 2013 was about Manu suffering through those indignities for an entire season, ultimately suffering a humiliating defeat that many put a vast amount of blame on his shoulders for, and then 2014 was the wall finally giving way. He came back after that season and stayed healthy, and he kept driving and twisting and shooting and making ridiculous passes and crazy three-pointers and sometimes his body failed him, but he remained exactly what we've always loved him for being. Manu, despite his age and physical limitations, has never once stopped competing for this team and for Duncan and Pop. The legacy he'll have once he retires is too great for any one postseason debacle to erase. For so long he's been the one intangible thing that Pop could unleash on a team he couldn't quite crack, and Manu would just go to work. He came up short, a lot, last year, but this season he came at it again with the same tenacity he's always had and this time he delivered, just like he did so many times before.

This title, regarding Manu, isn't about redeeming himself, as far as I'm concerned. I think it's more about him reminding me (and a lot of us) why he's so great and why we as Spurs fans love that fucker to death.

Aztecfan03
06-16-2014, 01:27 AM
You know Ginobili is old if he has dunked on a dinosaur.

:rollin

SpursRock20
06-16-2014, 01:34 AM
The manner in which he began to show signs of deterioration - the turnovers, the bad plays, missed shots, etc. - never really impacted how I felt about him. Yeah, he could be frustrating at times because it looked to us like someone throwing his head against a wall over and over again and hoping eventually to knock it down. To us, his shortcomings seemed obvious, and the way he kept throwing himself into the paint or rocketing passes into the nosebleeds or coughing up the ball on a drive was indicative of the end of his usefulness and showed signs that he just wasn't able to rationalize his own weaknesses anymore. I think a lot of us cast him as stubborn, tbh.

But I was reminded tonight of what Pop once called him, "the ultimate competitor", and that's really what he's always been. The guy who never really becomes timid or shies away from pressure, who keeps throwing himself at a defense and trusting that eventually something 2005-esque will come his way and the opponent will crack. 2013 was about Manu suffering through those indignities for an entire season, ultimately suffering a humiliating defeat that many put a vast amount of blame on his shoulders for, and then 2014 was the wall finally giving way. He came back after that season and stayed healthy, and he kept driving and twisting and shooting and making ridiculous passes and crazy three-pointers and sometimes his body failed him, but he remained exactly what we've always loved him for being. Manu, despite his age and physical limitations, has never once stopped competing for this team and for Duncan and Pop. The legacy he'll have once he retires is too great for any one postseason debacle to erase. For so long he's been the one intangible thing that Pop could unleash on a team he couldn't quite crack, and Manu would just go to work. He came up short, a lot, last year, but this season he came at it again with the same tenacity he's always had and this time he delivered, just like he did so many times before.

This title, regarding Manu, isn't about redeeming himself, as far as I'm concerned. I think it's more about him reminding me (and a lot of us) why he's so great and why we as Spurs fans love that fucker to death.

Well said. :hat

ElNono
06-16-2014, 01:37 AM
:cry

skulls138
06-16-2014, 01:41 AM
That dunk was the play that took all hope away from the Heat and the following 3 pointer was just a kick in the nuts.

Floyd Pacquiao
06-16-2014, 01:50 AM
ManuDunkonBosh:( will forever live on in history. Highlight of his career:cry:cry

HI-FI
06-16-2014, 01:51 AM
wasn't his dunk similar to the no-call last year when Allen mugged him?

if so, talk about revenge on that clown.

letmk
06-16-2014, 01:52 AM
Manu redeemed himself this year. Hats off to him.

Sean Cagney
06-16-2014, 01:55 AM
That dunk was the play that took all hope away from the Heat and the following 3 pointer was just a kick in the nuts.
That was the GAME THERE, they never had a shot afterwards.

Sean Cagney
06-16-2014, 01:55 AM
Manu redeemed himself this year. Hats off to him.

He did and then some! He showed up and proved he still has it in big games. Nobody can say shit ever again about him.

TJastal
06-16-2014, 02:00 AM
It would have been very fitting as well as deserved if Manu had been named mvp or co mvp. Without looking I would say his +/- numbers were off the charts. All due respect to young pup Leonard's performances but with it being so close stat wise I give it to Manu for the intangibles, leadership, seniority, past history and the fact that he was arguably mvp in other years but took a back seat to Duncan and Parker. In other words he was due. But as we all know he is team first and probably prefers it this way. So proud of him and to me he is the true MVP of the e series.

letmk
06-16-2014, 02:03 AM
He did and then some! He showed up and proved he still has it in big games. Nobody can say shit ever again about him.

For the Spurs to repeat, other than keeping every rotation players and signing a serviceable big, Manu's health and status will be a key factor. On the other hand, I don't worry about Timmy. At least for now, he seems to be able to play another 2-3 years.

TJastal
06-16-2014, 02:04 AM
ManuDunkonBosh:( will forever live on in history. Highlight of his career:cry:cry

So how many years will it take for ESPN to replay that dunk? You know if it had been the other way around we'd be seeing that dunk ad infinitum on every broadcast for the next week or 2.

DAF86
06-16-2014, 02:06 AM
The faces in the background. That Asian guy and Green can't believe it and Ayers well... :lol

Proxy
06-16-2014, 02:15 AM
It would have been very fitting as well as deserved if Manu had been named mvp or co mvp. Without looking I would say his +/- numbers were off the charts. All due respect to young pup Leonard's performances but with it being so close stat wise I give it to Manu for the intangibles, leadership, seniority, past history and the fact that he was arguably mvp in other years but took a back seat to Duncan and Parker. In other words he was due. But as we all know he is team first and probably prefers it this way. So proud of him and to me he is the true MVP of the e series.

:toast

Quasar
06-16-2014, 02:18 AM
Manu forever...

Take this Ray!

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/6-16-2014/LqTbXa.gif (http://www.makeagif.com/LqTbXa)

ErnestLynch
06-16-2014, 02:21 AM
. So proud of him and to me he is the true MVP of the series.

I believe so as well. I don't think people really realize just how good he was in these playoffs and these finals. It's not all stats. Not all buckets are created equal.

spurs10
06-16-2014, 03:35 AM
Manu was incredible. What a pleasure to witness!

romain.star
06-16-2014, 03:43 AM
He deserves his new contract $$ and I was so wrong to doubt it 12 months ago...

Props Manu, you are one of the greatest Spur ever

DJR210
06-16-2014, 03:47 AM
Payback on that POS Jesus for that chicken wing he threw in game 2

Fireball
06-16-2014, 03:48 AM
he was healthy this year, he got stronger in the off-season and a warm-up routine to keep his muscles from becoming that much of a problem again ...

Manu is game-changer and that dunk on Bosh was just that!!

50Bestspurever
06-16-2014, 04:37 AM
ITS amazing when you allow your body to recover and rest, SPURS PLAYERS, STOP PLAYING FOR YOUR NATIONAL TEAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!

mudyez
06-16-2014, 04:42 AM
Pls stop posting pics and givs. I'm dehydrated from crying non stop.

RD2191
06-16-2014, 04:43 AM
Absolutely. I have always loved Manu for the same reasons many Spurs fans do, but also because I was an athlete and I appreciate and connect with guys like him. I was furious over last year and really thought he was on his last legs and nothing was more gratifying to me than seeing Manu work so hard and play so well. That's Manu. He avenges any wrongs he might have done and takes it personally. It's why no matter how bad he was playing, Pop couldn't pull him last year.
:lol

hater
06-16-2014, 05:19 AM
He was aight

TMTTRIO
06-16-2014, 08:54 AM
Manu was great during the playoffs and really stepped up when we needed him to. I had a feeling that after that horrible playoffs he had last year he would make up for it and have a great one being the competitor that he is. It was so hard to watch my favourite player struggle like that last year. Now that he has redeemed himself and he added another ring to his collection I would like to see him go out on top and retire now then watching him struggle to stay alive and struggling with his game. I'll miss him and it won't be the same without him.

ManuTastic
06-16-2014, 09:07 AM
ITS amazing when you allow your body to recover and rest, SPURS PLAYERS, STOP PLAYING FOR YOUR NATIONAL TEAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed. I have always loved Manu, and he was great in this series and the whole playoffs, but I do wonder how many more titles we'd have if he had not played int'l ball in the summers. I can't remember the details now, but it seems up until recently it was a constant problem that he was tired/hurt by the end of the season because of his Arg team play. Not really mad or anything, b/c I love his play, but I do wonder.

jjktkk
06-16-2014, 09:10 AM
It was awesome to see Manu come back in a huge way this year. What a warrior!

jag
06-16-2014, 09:42 AM

Posted this last year after game 5:

For all of Manu's shortcomings, there's a reason Pop keeps going to him. It's because regardless of how he performs, you know he will give everything he has to win. He has that in him more than Tony and even more than Duncan. Pop will likely live or die with Manu. The alternative is to play him 5-10 mpg and split his minutes between Neal and Green. I really don't see a scenario where riding Manu till the end and hoping for a breakout game, isn't the best option.

I'm really proud of him for coming back the way he did. He's such a special player.

DPG21920
06-16-2014, 09:45 AM
Posted this last year after game 5:

I'm really proud of him for coming back the way he did. He's such a special player.

A year later that was a great post. I knew that, even last year, but it was such a painful loss for the franchise. That's why it was so amazing having Manu play so well. Not only against MIA, but no Manu, no title this year. Not even close.

team-work
06-16-2014, 09:48 AM
Manu is the prototype Spurs player who showed the "fortitude" mentioned by Pop.

jag
06-16-2014, 09:49 AM
A year later that was a great post. I knew that, even last year, but it was such a painful loss for the franchise. That's why it was so amazing having Manu play so well. Not only against MIA, but no Manu, no title this year. Not even close.

His play against Dallas was incredible. And he was huge against OKC. So many vintage performances.

Tbiggums47
06-16-2014, 09:51 AM
Ditto!
Well said. :hat

Crookshanks
06-16-2014, 09:51 AM
R.C. said the difference with Manu this season was that he didn't play for the National Team. He said he understands Manu's love and commitment to Argentina, but playing in the summers really took it out of him. He said this year Manu was able to train differently and it made a huge difference in his play during the playoffs.

Skull-1
06-16-2014, 11:06 AM
I've been one of his biggest critics the last few years. Playing out of control, passing into the stands, being a turnover machine, having a great game followed by 5 terrible games. My biggest beef was as he aged, he didn't play 'within himself'. Writing checks his body couldn't cash sorta' thing. But man, he got it together and EVERY TIME the Spurs needed that spark, he delivered.

Thank you Manu. Incredible year, incredible playoffs. You came through.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqNyfbOCcAAQB9e.jpg

He stayed (mostly) under control and was hungry to redeem himself from last year's failure. He did it. I grant him a pardon. Well done.