PDA

View Full Version : Redemption

ajh18
06-16-2014, 02:24 AM
“It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.”

My parents took me to David Robinson’s first game - in the Hemisphere Arena against the Lakers – in 1989. I was six years old. I’ve been a fan ever since.

Last year’s finals left me with a broken heart. And a broken cabinet. And a broken hand, via that cabinet. I thought it was the last shot for Tim, Tony, and Manu, and it was crushing because this team means so much more to me and the rest of us from San Antonio than most fans could possibly realize.

For us, this year’s redemption is about more than having our hometown team win. It’s a reaffirmation that character can trump raw talent. That sacrificing for others can overcome the single-minded pursuit of self-glorification. And that embracing diversity and teamwork can result in performance that far exceeds the greatness of one.

Finishing off Dallas again after "the foul" in 2006. Ending Derek Fisher's career after 0.4. Beating the Thunder after the backdoor sweep of 2012. Making up for last year's heartbreak. In on breathtaking playoffs, we made up for it all.

Most fans from other cities won’t understand. They'll think I’m projecting my beliefs onto my team, or that I’m over-emphasizing the characteristics I find admirable. But to those of you from SA, you know what this team means to us. And I challenge anyone to find a team that means more to their community, or a city with a stronger bond to their team, than we have. Keep pounding that rock. Go Spurs Go.

StoneBuddha
06-16-2014, 03:03 AM
:toast