PDA

View Full Version : '03 Stephen Jackson vs. '14 Danny Green

Prime Time
06-16-2014, 02:28 AM
I wasn't around in 2003 to see Stephen Jackson play, but Spurs fans in general make him out to be one of the best Spur role players of all time.

Danny Green, IMO, is the most underrated Spur on this championship team. Hell, I'd say he often plays the role of a scrapegoat to a handful of Spurs fans. He makes 4 to 7 threes and all people can say is "but he can't dribble tho"

He has a terrific paint presence in G3 and fans hardly bring it up.

Personally, I love Green's game for his efficiency on both ends. But I do wonder what makes '03 Jackson so loved compared to the type of reception Green generates.

100%duncan
06-16-2014, 02:31 AM
DG. Better on both sides of the floor

RD2191
06-16-2014, 02:32 AM
Green pretty much shut Wade down. Bunch of clowns were calling for his benching tonight.:lol

KaiRMD1
06-16-2014, 02:34 AM
Jackson was awesome in 03 as far as attitude goes but Green is so much better. If what we saw him do in game 3 (making layups to name one major thing) as well as his lights out shooting and shut down defense, easily the ol' sport takes the cake. I love Jackson, helluva a team mate (ignoring what got him released) but Green is getting better and is already on his way

Malik Hairston
06-16-2014, 02:36 AM
Stephen Jackson shot 32% from 3 in those playoffs and had the worst offensive on/off of any Spurs rotation player:lol..he made clutch shots, though, and everybody loves the 2003 run, so all of those players are remembered fondly..

crc21209
06-16-2014, 02:41 AM
Yeah the only reason Jack is known as a Spurs legend around here is because he made some big time 3's in that Game 6 against Phoenix in the 1st round, Game 6 against Dallas in the WCF'S (The Kerr game), and the Game 6 against the Nets in the Finals. He came up HUGE when it mattered, but overall, he did have a pretty bad shooting % AND he was a turnover machine as well...:lol

MI21
06-16-2014, 02:41 AM
Stephen Jackson has long been my favourite Spurs championship role player due to Game 6 against Dallas and Game 6 against New Jersey.

Danny Green is now at that level of man-love from me, but I think it's safe to say Green is the superior defender by a good margin and although Buckets grew offensively, in 03 he was basically a spot up shooter.

Green has him covered.

testies
06-16-2014, 02:42 AM
i feel old as fuck now

SupremeGuy
06-16-2014, 02:45 AM
DG. Better on both sides of the floorThis. :toast

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-16-2014, 02:49 AM
I never quite got the SpursTalk love fest for SJax. He hit some clutch shots in the '03 run and played some solid D, but overall he didn't set the world on fire. I rate other role players contributions like Barry and Oberto better.

snickles
06-16-2014, 02:34 PM
my take, pretty similar to what everyone else has said: its perception vs reality

sjax is remembered for the few moments that he came up huge, all listed above.

DG on the otherhand seems to be less notcied / remembered even though he's been fairly consistent* in the playoff run

*yes, i know "fairly consistent" can be argued until youre blue in the face. knock yourself out if you wish.

spurraider21
06-16-2014, 02:42 PM
Jax was our second leading scorer in the 2003 playoff run :lol... testament to how great Tim was in his prime

lefty
06-16-2014, 02:43 PM
Captain Jax TBH

G-Dawgg
06-16-2014, 02:45 PM
Stephen Jackson was so good that year. He hit clutch game winners and shot us out of some big deficits.. his perimeter defense was probably not as lockdown as Danny's but still great.

webshad
06-16-2014, 02:52 PM
Jackson was mentally tougher, no question.

Danny is definitely more coachable.

cd98
06-16-2014, 02:55 PM
Danny Green is a better defender and doesn't turn the ball over as much. Both were bad at handling, but Jackson is a slightly better passer. As far as shooting, both were streaky good and both have made clutch shots on the big stage. I personally prefer Green because he's more mentally strong as is much less likely to end up in the paper for firing a gun in a crowded parking lot at a strip club.

cd98
06-16-2014, 02:59 PM
Jackson was mentally tougher, no question.

Danny is definitely more coachable.

Danny Green showed clutch shooting in two finals. He set the record for three point shooting last year. Jackson's representation really stems from the title run in 2003. He hit some big shots against Dallas and NJ, but I think Green's performance against Miami was much better. No question Green also did a great job of defending Durrant and Westbrook as well as D.Wade. I think he was more mentally tough than Jackson. Sure, Jackson believed he could make every shot. But I think Danny Green feels the same way, though he won't go out of his way to tell everyone like Jackson. As far as teammates go, Green hasn't been a distraction. Jackson was dropped because he couldn't handle Manu getting more minutes.

webshad
06-16-2014, 03:07 PM
Danny Green showed clutch shooting in two finals. He set the record for three point shooting last year. Jackson's representation really stems from the title run in 2003. He hit some big shots against Dallas and NJ, but I think Green's performance against Miami was much better. No question Green also did a great job of defending Durrant and Westbrook as well as D.Wade. I think he was more mentally tough than Jackson. Sure, Jackson believed he could make every shot. But I think Danny Green feels the same way, though he won't go out of his way to tell everyone like Jackson. As far as teammates go, Green hasn't been a distraction. Jackson was dropped because he couldn't handle Manu getting more minutes.

No doubt. I like Green better also, but he faded away in game 6 and 7 when it counted (hence mentally weak).

I think what makes Green better than Jackson is the fact that he highly respects Popovich and wants to get better under him.