PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: The Spurs Would Easily Beat the Back-to-Back Championship Teams of LA from 2009-2010

ezau
06-16-2014, 02:57 AM
Truth is, the 2014 NBA Champs would simply kill that plodding Triangle Offense. Also, Kawhi would shutdown Kobe pretty easily while Duncan and Splitter would nullify Bynum and Gasol. Spurs in 4 or 5, tbh.

100%duncan
06-16-2014, 02:59 AM
That team was taken to 7 by Aaron Brooks :lmao

ezau
06-16-2014, 03:01 AM

Almost beaten by a very young OKC squad. That's certainly the weakest back-to-back champs of all time:lol

100%duncan
06-16-2014, 03:02 AM
Almost beaten by a very young OKC squad. That's certainly the weakest back-to-back champs of all time:lol

Exposed by Dirk in '11. :lmao

ezau
06-16-2014, 03:07 AM
Exposed by Dirk in '11. :lmao

Bynum exposing his bitch tits after elbowing JJ Barea:lol

100%duncan
06-16-2014, 03:09 AM
Jacob1983 get yo ass in here

Venti Quattro
06-16-2014, 03:10 AM
:lmao 7 games to beat the old Mavs

ezau
06-16-2014, 03:14 AM

But, but, but the Mavs were the second best team behind the Spurs this year :cry

100%duncan
06-16-2014, 03:14 AM

Aaron Br:lol:lolks

You've nary room

Prime Time
06-16-2014, 04:20 AM
Lakers beat the Denver Nuggets 4-2 and the Orlando Magic 4-1
Spurs beat the OKC Thunder 4-2 and the Miami Heat 4-1.
/Thread

Franklin
06-16-2014, 05:01 AM
It's spurs first ring since I became a member here on Spurstalk, tbh

Killakobe81
06-16-2014, 07:40 AM
Truth is, the 2014 NBA Champs would simply kill that plodding Triangle Offense. Also, Kawhi would shutdown Kobe pretty easily while Duncan and Splitter would nullify Bynum and Gasol. Spurs in 4 or 5, tbh.

I agree they are the best team since the Shaqobe Lakers.

But this team also got pushed to 7 by dem Mavs for those that LOL at being pushed to 7 by "Aaron Brooks" ... not that I am dissing the Mavs who have the 2nd best coach and Dirk. But that is a stupid example but I agree with the OP they would beat the back2back Lakers of 2009-2010.

The numbnuts on here argue that team was stacked but it really wasnt after Kobe and PAu were a great 1-2 punch but Odom was a "sometimesy" #3 and Bynum was already battling knee issues.

But back to the point I am taking this Spur team against every team except teh Shaqobe Lakers and maybe the 2012 Heat since Wade could still play Battier was providing defense and Mario could still shoot. That would be a much better series than what we got.

Kidd K
06-16-2014, 07:44 AM
Water is wet.

No shit. 2009-2010 are probably the weakest b2b championship team with the weakest/most injured competition ever.

ezau
06-16-2014, 07:48 AM

But this team also got pushed to 7 by dem Mavs for those that LOL at being pushed to 7 by "Aaron Brooks" ... not that I am dissing the Mavs who have the 2nd best coach and Dirk. But that is a stupid example but I agree with the OP they would beat the back2back Lakers of 2009-2010.

The numbnuts on here argue that team was stacked but it really wasnt after Kobe and PAu were a great 1-2 punch but Odom was a "sometimesy" #3 and Bynum was already battling knee issues.

But back to the point I am taking this Spur team against every team except teh Shaqobe Lakers and maybe the 2012 Heat since Wade could still play Battier was providing defense and Mario could still shoot. That would be a much better series than what we got.

Good post Killakobe81 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=10786). The 200-2002 Lakers would smoke the 97 and 98 Bulls team and I'm not even kidding. Prime Shaq was just too strong, too good, and too dominant plus they have a young Kobe and legendary role players (Fisher and Horry to name a few).

Killakobe81
06-16-2014, 07:52 AM
Water is wet.

No shit. 2009-2010 are probably the weakest b2b championship team with the weakest/most injured competition ever.

The competion was fine they just were not that great.
Great play by Kobe, elite Post play by Pau, timely shots by fisher Artest/Ariza and outstanding by Pjax. But that team could beat maybe the pre Lebron Heat championship squad of 2006 and not many other title teams ...

midnightpulp
06-16-2014, 08:03 AM

The 2014 Spurs being the best team since Jordan (in my opinion) has less to do with their talent level and more to do with their system, depth, and adapting to the new era of the NBA, where spacing rules and speed kills.

It's about matchups, and the big frontline title teams of the late 90s/early-mid 00s would be too slow to guard these Spurs. And now that perimeter defenses are faster and longer than ever, you can't suck in defenses by running your offense through the low post to open up outside shooting. Defenders today can recover from double teaming the post onto to outside shooters better than ever. You could double Shaq/Prime Duncan and still be all right. Also, the ShaqKobe Lakers had bad spacing (Triangle) and because Shaq obviously has no jumper. The Lakers also had no stretch 4. Horry didn't take enough 3 pointers to qualify for the role. Fisher would also be a big liability on defense. The ShaqKobe Lakers would be exhausted rotating trying to cover all the offense threats the Spurs have. In addition to that, the 3 peat Lakers weren't very deep.

On the other side, the spacing these Spurs would get against the 3 peat Lakers would be ridiculous. Duncan would keep Shaq honest with his jumper. Diaw would pull out Horry. Green would keep Kobe honest. Switch Kobe on Parker and Green gets open shots against a small Derek Fisher (Fox would have to guard Leonard). And if Green's shot isn't falling, the Spurs can bring Manu, which would force Kobe or Fox to switch, meaning Kobe on Kawhi and Fisher on Parker.

And the way the Spurs pass the ball neutralizes the man defense strength of Kobe and Fox, just like it neutralized James's in this series. Rarely did these Spurs go iso one-on-one.

Killakobe81
06-16-2014, 08:43 AM
The 2014 Spurs being the best team since Jordan (in my opinion) has less to do with their talent level and more to do with their system, depth, and adapting to the new era of the NBA, where spacing rules and speed kills.

It's about matchups, and the big frontline title teams of the late 90s/early-mid 00s would be too slow to guard these Spurs. And now that perimeter defenses are faster and longer than ever, you can't suck in defenses by running your offense through the low post to open up outside shooting. Defenders today can recover from double teaming the post onto to outside shooters better than ever. You could double Shaq/Prime Duncan and still be all right. Also, the ShaqKobe Lakers had bad spacing (Triangle) and because Shaq obviously has no jumper. The Lakers also had no stretch 4. Horry didn't take enough 3 pointers to qualify for the role. Fisher would also be a big liability on defense. The ShaqKobe Lakers would be exhausted rotating trying to cover all the offense threats the Spurs have. In addition to that, the 3 peat Lakers weren't very deep.

On the other side, the spacing these Spurs would get against the 3 peat Lakers would be ridiculous. Duncan would keep Shaq honest with his jumper. Diaw would pull out Horry. Green would keep Kobe honest. Switch Kobe on Parker and Green gets open shots against a small Derek Fisher (Fox would have to guard Leonard). And if Green's shot isn't falling, the Spurs can bring Manu, which would force Kobe or Fox to switch, meaning Kobe on Kawhi and Fisher on Parker.

And the way the Spurs pass the ball neutralizes the man defense strength of Kobe and Fox, just like it neutralized James's in this series. Rarely did these Spurs go iso one-on-one.
Some good stuff here I agree ... But still think those Lakers especially the 2001 squad beat these Spurs heck, they beat a similar Sacto team. OKC had great speed still loss. I actually think Bulls is a better matchup for these Spurs but MJ would have been a problem ....

Buddy Mignon
06-16-2014, 08:48 AM

You are out of your fucking mind if you think this team was better than the recent Boston team or the recent Laker team. Just be happy with the win, and stop trying to inflate shit. Don't get me started, mid.

BanditHiro
06-16-2014, 08:52 AM
You are out of your fucking mind if you think this team was better than the recent Boston team or the recent Laker team. Just be happy with the win, and stop trying to inflate shit. Don't get me started, mid.

no analysis to disprove his per par.

100%duncan
06-16-2014, 09:02 AM
Naruto :lol

sook
06-16-2014, 09:36 AM

we had 6'6" chuck hayes playing at center and Ron Artest as the 2nd best player after Brooks....don't try and equate that to the Mavs who are a veteran savy playoff experienced squad :lol

Killakobe81
06-16-2014, 11:01 AM
we had 6'6" chuck hayes playing at center and Ron Artest as the 2nd best player after Brooks....don't try and equate that to the Mavs who are a veteran savy playoff experienced squad :lol

I am not. Lakers weren't as good as these Spurs either which was my point. Shaqobe Lakers were pushed to 7 by Jail blazers 2008 Celts to 7 by Hawks. I don't think less of either team. Just saying that's a flawed way to discredit a team. I already said that was a weak Lakers team.

SupremeGuy
06-16-2014, 12:02 PM
LMAO no one remembers or will ever remember those MVPau lead teams tbh... they basically don't exist :lol

ambchang
06-16-2014, 02:13 PM

14 Spurs would have destroyed the 00 and 02 Lakers. 02 Lakers had trouble with the Kings, and only won because of the most controversial 4th quarter in NBA history, and yet the Spurs are a quicker, better defense, and better shooting version of the 02 Kings. 00 Lakers were not dominant at all as the rules that benefit wing players were not totally implemented. Kobe was merely an all-star that year instead of the superstar he became the following year.

The 01 Lakers would have to ride Shaq pretty hard. Kawhi can guard Kobe one on one. Kobe would still score, but would probably do so at a lower efficiency. Shaq would pose a huge problem, but the Spurs swarming defense would cause Shaq to turn the ball over pretty badly. Shaq does have the vision to pass the ball out of double teams, but the quick defenders on the Spurs can recover quickly and stop wide open threes. Also, Aaron Baynes would be able to bang with Shaq and at least have 6 fouls to give. On offense though, the Spurs will destroy the 01 Lakers. The Lakers were below average defensively, only about average defending the 3 point line, and is particularly weak defending the pick and roll. The 14 Spurs are strong on the pick and roll, and is one of the best three point shooting teams in the history of the league (tied for 2nd best of all time for championship winning teams for both % and 3PM), with multiple players who can hit from outside.

As long as the Spurs can contain the other role players, I have a pretty good feeling the Spurs will beat the 01 Lakers.

As for the 09 and 10 Lakers, they were pretty much the weakest champs post Jordan outside of the 06 Heat and maybe the 07 Spurs. I mean, MVPau is great and all, but he does not belong in the same league as Shaq, Duncan and Dirk, and his supporting casts isn't as strong as the Pistons, 14 Spurs, and Celtics.

DMC
06-16-2014, 02:15 PM
A champ is a champ. Every year your team had the option to be the champ and didn't is a year you don't have a right to comment on weakness of someone who did.

Killakobe81
06-16-2014, 02:29 PM
14 Spurs would have destroyed the 00 and 02 Lakers. 02 Lakers had trouble with the Kings, and only won because of the most controversial 4th quarter in NBA history, and yet the Spurs are a quicker, better defense, and better shooting version of the 02 Kings. 00 Lakers were not dominant at all as the rules that benefit wing players were not totally implemented. Kobe was merely an all-star that year instead of the superstar he became the following year.

The 01 Lakers would have to ride Shaq pretty hard. Kawhi can guard Kobe one on one. Kobe would still score, but would probably do so at a lower efficiency. Shaq would pose a huge problem, but the Spurs swarming defense would cause Shaq to turn the ball over pretty badly. Shaq does have the vision to pass the ball out of double teams, but the quick defenders on the Spurs can recover quickly and stop wide open threes. Also, Aaron Baynes would be able to bang with Shaq and at least have 6 fouls to give. On offense though, the Spurs will destroy the 01 Lakers. The Lakers were below average defensively, only about average defending the 3 point line, and is particularly weak defending the pick and roll. The 14 Spurs are strong on the pick and roll, and is one of the best three point shooting teams in the history of the league (tied for 2nd best of all time for championship winning teams for both % and 3PM), with multiple players who can hit from outside.

As long as the Spurs can contain the other role players, I have a pretty good feeling the Spurs will beat the 01 Lakers.

As for the 09 and 10 Lakers, they were pretty much the weakest champs post Jordan outside of the 06 Heat and maybe the 07 Spurs. I mean, MVPau is great and all, but he does not belong in the same league as Shaq, Duncan and Dirk, and his supporting casts isn't as strong as the Pistons, 14 Spurs, and Celtics.
Fair points but disagree about 2001 Lakers. As you said 2002 was a weak squad but 2001 had prime Shaq and Kobe playing elite level hoops. That Kobe shat on Bowen, so KL is great but Kobe has dominated better. With Phil and a great staff behind them. Also your last paragraph with MVPau pretty much destroyed the credibility of what you wrote before it. I get you live to troll and bash Kobe but that was calculated but childish.

Killakobe81
06-16-2014, 02:33 PM
I give a heck of a lot of credit to the Spurs of 2014 but as shitty as the others played not named LeBron We should be careful not to overrate the Spurs I say best team since 2001 ...

Kidd K
06-16-2014, 11:26 PM
The competion was fine they just were not that great.
Great play by Kobe, elite Post play by Pau, timely shots by fisher Artest/Ariza and outstanding by Pjax. But that team could beat maybe the pre Lebron Heat championship squad of 2006 and not many other title teams ...

Yeah. . .I ain't trying to totally shit on them, I mean any team that wins a title isn't shitty by any stretch. It just felt like good fortune. There really weren't any other big threats at the time in either conference. Even in 2011 I didn't think that team was any worse than 2009 and 2010, and they got crushed by the eventual champ Mavs, who imo were second to the Spurs that year pre-Manu injury. Though I did pick Mavs to win after Spurs got knocked out. I didn't think Lakers could compete. Pau and Kobe tailed off a little, the role players' drive to win was diminished, Artest became the new Dennis Rodman, Bynum was a huge quitter, etc. They kind of imploded there at the end.

ambchang
06-17-2014, 06:15 AM
Fair points but disagree about 2001 Lakers. As you said 2002 was a weak squad but 2001 had prime Shaq and Kobe playing elite level hoops. That Kobe shat on Bowen, so KL is great but Kobe has dominated better. With Phil and a great staff behind them. Also your last paragraph with MVPau pretty much destroyed the credibility of what you wrote before it. I get you live to troll and bash Kobe but that was calculated but childish.

2001 Kobe shat on Antonio Daniels, Terry Porter, and Derek Anderson. The following year, with Bowen, Kobe went back to average. Also, 2000 to 2002 Kobe is no where even close to 2014 Lebron.

MVPau does not belong in the same league as Shaq and Duncan and Dirk, and the supporting cast of 09 10 Lakers isn't close to Pistons, 14 Spurs and Celtics, those are facts.

POPownsJackson
06-17-2014, 06:31 AM

But, but, but the Mavs were the second best team behind the Spurs this year :cry

Aaron Br:lol:lolks

You've nary room

:lmao

100%duncan
06-17-2014, 06:43 AM
I give a heck of a lot of credit to the Spurs of 2014 but as shitty as the others played not named LeBron We should be careful not to overrate the Spurs I say best team since 2001 ...

Lol now they are shitty because Spurs dominated them 4-1?

Erase the Spurs in 2013-2014 pretend that they never existed, Heat 3peat.

You all act like Lebron has a bad supporting cast, fact is the Heat would rape anybody in the league outside of the Spurs.

POPownsJackson
06-17-2014, 07:02 AM

You all act like Lebron has a bad supporting cast, fact is the Heat would rape anybody in the league outside of the Spurs.
seeing how bad they played in the finals, no

100%duncan
06-17-2014, 07:03 AM

Read the first 2 lines of my post.

POPownsJackson
06-17-2014, 07:23 AM
Read the first 2 lines of my post.
no

Ricky Davis
06-17-2014, 07:27 AM

:lmao taken to 7 by Dejuan Blair and Dirk's corpse

ambchang
06-17-2014, 07:40 AM

The Spurs had a lot to do with how horribly they played.

That said, I am thinking that Clippers have a good chance of beating the Heat in the finals, OKC, as horribly as they match up with the Heat, may have a puncher's chance as well.

However, Clippers can never get past the Spurs/OKC, so other than the Spurs, there really aren't that many teams who can really dethrone the Heat, and certainly none that would make them look this bad.

Killakobe81
06-17-2014, 07:55 AM

His cast was not bad never said that. Ray and Rashard played fine tbh ... and are very good players and got little credit.
Lebron worshippers downplay his cast no doubt, but only those 3 played at or above expectations. Chalmers, Wade, Bosh, Battier etc all played like trash tbh.

Killakobe81
06-17-2014, 07:59 AM
2001 Kobe shat on Antonio Daniels, Terry Porter, and Derek Anderson. The following year, with Bowen, Kobe went back to average. Also, 2000 to 2002 Kobe is no where even close to 2014 Lebron.

MVPau does not belong in the same league as Shaq and Duncan and Dirk, and the supporting cast of 09 10 Lakers isn't close to Pistons, 14 Spurs and Celtics, those are facts.

IF I missed the year on Bowen, my bad but I do recall him shitting on Bowen in the playoffs not sure how he was "average" ...I also remember his shooting% dipping with Bowen defending but average is not a "fact".
I agree Pau is not Dirk etc. comparing a #2 to first ballot HOF'ers is pretty foolish, tbh.

100%duncan
06-17-2014, 08:18 AM
:lmao taken to 7 by Dejuan Blair and Dirk's corpse

Dirk's right hand> Aaron brooks :lol

His cast was not bad never said that. Ray and Rashard played fine tbh ... and are very good players and got little credit.
Lebron worshippers downplay his cast no doubt, but only those 3 played at or above expectations. Chalmers, Wade, Bosh, Battier etc all played like trash tbh.

Green was on Wade.

Diaw was on Bosh.

Battier is pretty much done, and Chalmers was trash you got it.

But really? They are automatically trash because of that one series? Wade owned Indiana the series before if i remember correctly. Bosh won them game 2. You seem to downgrade the win by saying that most of the cast was playing like trash when in fact, Spurs just straight up dominated them.

ambchang
06-17-2014, 08:50 AM
IF I missed the year on Bowen, my bad but I do recall him shitting on Bowen in the playoffs not sure how he was "average" ...I also remember his shooting% dipping with Bowen defending but average is not a "fact".
I agree Pau is not Dirk etc. comparing a #2 to first ballot HOF'ers is pretty foolish, tbh.

Kobe scored 26 ppg on 45% shooting in 02 vs Bowen. That's his average for that year.