PDA

View Full Version : Roster Reload - ESPN insider says Spurs could be even better

Rummpd
06-16-2014, 01:41 PM
The Ideal Roster
Could they actually get better?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/11090432/nba-playoffs-roster-reload-san-antonio-spurs?addata=2009_insdr_mod_nba_xxx_xxx

Here's a look at some of the options available in our final Roster Reload of the 2014 NBA playoffs.

2014-15 STATUS QUO BASELINE: 61.9 wins

(from Bradford Doolittle's ATH system)
I. Main assets (personnel)

Elhassan: They're not as great as they used to be as individual players, but the Spurs' success still starts with the Big 3: Tony Parker led the way again as the team's "primary" offensive option, and was his usual efficient self in the paint while remaining judicious with his perimeter shot selection. Manu Ginobili experienced a bounce-back season, and was one of the best bench players in the league this year, while Duncan was his usual stalwart self, as a terrific defensive anchor and rebounder and reliable go-to option offensively even without demanding touches. The youth corps for San Antonio, Tiago Splitter and Kawhi Leonard, both were outstanding defensively and showed growth in their offensive games (particularly Leonard, who started the season slowly, then was injured). Danny Green, Boris Diaw, Marco Belinelli ... look, everyone played exceedingly well in the system and stepped up when called upon.
Leonard
Soobum Im/USA TODAY SportsLeonard had a Paul George-type postseason and should take on an even larger role in the Spurs' offense.

Doolittle: Nothing ever changes in San Antonio, and so long as Gregg Popovich, Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and company are around, the Spurs will look like a championship contender on paper. And they'll be one in the real world, too. There was no real difference between this year's Spurs and last year's version, other than the final result. There are some subtle changes. Tony Parker hits 30 next season, and his forecast dips a little. But that's offset by Leonard's rise and the presence of Patty Mills. It'll be interesting as always to see what kind of upgrades Popovich and R.C. Buford make on the margins. They've always had a knack for knowing when to let go to avoid cluttering the payroll, and we've seen players such as Beno Udrih, Gary Neal and DeJuan Blair move on to productive roles elsewhere. The San Antonio machine really is a marvel of efficiency. Despite the strength of the roster, Splitter is the only player on the roster with guaranteed money on the books beyond next season.
II. Shake it up

Elhassan: Duncan can opt out of his $10 million deal, but he would likely do so only to re-sign a more cap-friendly deal for San Antonio. Austin Daye's salary is only $250,000 guaranteed, so expect him to be waived then re-signed via the veteran minimum, if at all. Otherwise, the Spurs' main free agents are Diaw, Matt Bonner and Mills. Diaw is most likely to return: he's in a comfortable situation, playing alongside his best friend in a system and for a coach who respects and take advantage of his talents.

Mills is most likely to leave: After having a career year, someone will likely give him the type of contract that the Spurs would deem too rich, much like Neal's departure to Milwaukee a year ago. That leaves stretch big Bonner, who played the fewest minutes of his eight-year San Antonio tenure. It wasn't his shooting that kept him on the outskirts of the rotation, as he connected on 43 percent of his 3PA. Rather, it was his defensive issues. Bearing that in mind, the Spurs could seek to upgrade their stretch big position by pursuing Channing Frye, who can opt out of the last year of his deal in Phoenix. An elite shooter, Frye also is an underrated post defender and works well within team defensive schemes, and he was rebounding the ball well until he began to wear down over the second half of the season.
Doolittle: Barring some unexpected retirement pressers, there won't be any major upheaval in San Antonio. Diaw and Mills are important players headed for free agency, but if they leave, the Spurs will find someone to fill their respective roles at a level of remuneration appropriate to the pay structure. They always do. There's the No. 30 pick, and if you're a betting person, you'd predict it will be spent on a person who makes his residence outside the borders of this country, while last year's first-rounder, Livio Jean-Charles, remains highly regarded. San Antonio retains the rights to DeShaun Thomas as well, and he looked like a potential NBA player last summer. The area of weakness along the team stat line was a 13th-place ranking in turnover rate. That's actually six spots better than last season, but miscues burned the Spurs during the first round. Mills had the lowest turnover rate among the regulars even though he's a guard, and if he leaves, the Spurs will need someone who can calm the offense when things get ragged.
Elhassan: I opted to renounce all free agents to remove cap holds, with the exception of Diaw, who I resigned to a three-year, $11 million deal starting at $3.5 million. With the resulting cap space, the Spurs can offer Frye a three-year, $19.6 million deal starting at $6.25 million: it's a pay cut for him, but an opportunity to be a contributor on a team poised to win a title. Finally, I'd bring back the renounced free agent Mills by offering a three-year deal starting with the room from the midlevel exception starting at $2.7 million. Of course, the Spurs would have more flexibility if Duncan is willing to opt out and lower his salary, but that might be a bit much to ask of someone who has already sacrificed so much.
Ideal 2014-15 roster
Pos Player Age 2015 Salary 2015 WARP
C Tiago Splitter 30 $9.3m 3.6
PG Tony Parker 33 $12.5m 5.6
SG Danny Green 28 $4.0m 5.5
SF Kawhi Leonard 24 $2.9m 8.8
PF Tim Duncan 39 $10.0m 8.5
bC Boris Diaw 33 $3.5m 1.1
bPG Patrick Mills 27 $2.7m 4.2
bSG Manu Ginobili 38 $7.0m 6.4
bSF Marco Belinelli 29 $2.9m 1.5
bPF Channing Frye 32 $6.3m 4.7
RES1 Jeff Ayres 28 $1.9m -0.8
RES2 Cory Joseph 24 $2.0m 0.7
Est. Payroll: $62.2 million; Updated Win Range: 60 to 64
Notes: Est. Payroll includes built-in minimum salary slots beyond top 12 o

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-16-2014, 02:00 PM
Why waive Mills or Bonner. Just sign them the first day of FA and the capholds are removed.

I resigned Bonner as an insurance policy for the regular season. He was starting or playing major minutes off the bench when Duncan didn't play and did very well.

Mills, the Spurs have the Bird rights to him. They can go over the cap to resign their own players and still have the MLE and BAE. I am not that high on Frye. Spurs don't need a stretch four as much as they need another wing defender. Spurs struggled when Kawhi got into foul trouble early in the Mavs, OKC and Mia series.

If he opts out, I still would like the Spurs to try and sign Kirilenko. He would give the Spurs that Dynamic wing defender that would make them dominating defensively all around.

travis2
06-16-2014, 02:15 PM
Doolittle: ...Tony Parker hits 30 next season, and his forecast dips a little.

WTF?!

cd98
06-16-2014, 02:36 PM
Doolittle: ...Tony Parker hits 30 next season, and his forecast dips a little.

WTF?!

Yeah, was this article written two years ago?

Chinook
06-16-2014, 02:42 PM
It also says Splitter is part of the youth movement.

xmas1997
06-16-2014, 02:53 PM
Why waive Mills or Bonner. Just sign them the first day of FA and the capholds are removed.

I resigned Bonner as an insurance policy for the regular season. He was starting or playing major minutes off the bench when Duncan didn't play and did very well.

Mills, the Spurs have the Bird rights to him. They can go over the cap to resign their own players and still have the MLE and BAE. I am not that high on Frye. Spurs don't need a stretch four as much as they need another wing defender. Spurs struggled when Kawhi got into foul trouble early in the Mavs, OKC and Mia series.

If he opts out, I still would like the Spurs to try and sign Kirilenko. He would give the Spurs that Dynamic wing defender that would make them dominating defensively all around.

I agree about AK47. We will have to see what he does.
And I think they will draft someone from inside the USA with their #30th pick and maybe even trade up.

Mal
06-16-2014, 03:04 PM
Spurs should retain Mills and Diaw for Diaw, Mills and Bonner money. If Mills is resigned, CoJo should be gone. 2 mil is too much for 3rd PG and he has nice trade value. Try trade him in package with Errors.

Mark in Austin
06-16-2014, 03:13 PM
Frye is interesting but I'm not convinced he is that much better than Bonner defensively. At this point in his career, does he have the foot speed to keep up with perimeter 4's? And Diaw is going to get paid at least as much as he earned this year, probably a little more. My guess is somewhere between $5M & $6M.

Chinook
06-16-2014, 03:19 PM
Frye is a stretch-five, which is pretty much the rarest skill-set in the league. As far as I know, there are only three such players in the league, and Channing is the best of them. He'd be incredibly valuable to the Spurs, but it would weird to see the team blow 2015 cap space on him. The nice thing about it is that he and Splitter would be a fine combo no both sides of the ball.

Chinook
06-16-2014, 03:24 PM
Spurs should retain Mills and Diaw for Diaw, Mills and Bonner money. If Mills is resigned, CoJo should be gone. 2 mil is too much for 3rd PG and he has nice trade value. Try trade him in package with Errors.

$2 Million is not too much to pay when your stars are making so little. Tim, Tony and Manu took less so that the Spurs didn't have to roster moves due to financial constraints.

That said, as much as I like Joseph, he's certainly not untouchable. If the Spurs could trade him for a pick to use on Vasilije Micic, I'd consider that pretty good deal. Micic seems to have great potential as a play-maker and has the size to play both guard positions. He'd make a fine compliment to Mills and potential successor to Ginobili.

xmas1997
06-16-2014, 03:27 PM
$2 Million is not too much to pay when your stars are making so little. Tim, Tony and Manu took less so that the Spurs didn't have to roster moves due to financial constraints.

That said, as much as I like Joseph, he's certainly not untouchable. If the Spurs could trade him for a pick to use on Vasilije Micic, I'd consider that pretty good deal. Micic seems to have great potential as a play-maker and has the size to play both guard positions. He'd make a fine compliment to Mills and potential successor to Ginobili.

I thought that was why they got Belli.
And what about Kirilenko?

Chinook
06-16-2014, 03:37 PM
I thought that was why they got Belli.
And what about Kirilenko?

They got Beli to replace Neal. While Marco can take the load off Manu, he doesn't seem like he could replace him at all. No one can really take Manu's place, obviously, but I mean Beli doesn't seem to have it in him to be a primary play-maker. The Spurs need badly to invest in a real point-guard. Micic is my favorite PG in the Spurs' area of the draft. The fact that he could play next to Mills is just icing on the cake.

Oh, and what about Kirilenko? Did I miss something with him?

Mel_13
06-16-2014, 03:39 PM

:lol

xmas1997
06-16-2014, 03:41 PM
They got Beli to replace Neal. While Marco can take the load off Manu, he doesn't seem like he could replace him at all. No one can really take Manu's place, obviously, but I mean Beli doesn't seem to have it in him to be a primary play-maker. The Spurs need badly to invest in a real point-guard. Micic is my favorite PG in the Spurs' area of the draft. The fact that he could play next to Mills is just icing on the cake.

Didn't he only sign with the Nets for one year?

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-16-2014, 03:43 PM

He has a player option. It looks like he will opt out this offseason.

poop
06-16-2014, 03:46 PM
There are so many errors in that stupid article i stopped reading

Chinook
06-16-2014, 03:53 PM

Essentially. Used the mMLE and can opt out. I don't know how much interest the Spurs would have if he did, though. The main appeal of AK was that he'd be a secondary Lebron/Durant defender. While the Finals did show that it would be nice to have someone to check James when Kahwi gets into foul trouble, I don't think Kirilenko really showed well in that regard during the ECSF. I'm not sure he was noticeably better at defending James than Diaw (who wasn't really good) was. While I think the team would take him over Ayres, I doubt they'd spend the MLE on a player who wouldn't be in the top-8 of the rotation.

cjw
06-16-2014, 03:55 PM

I'd renounce Bonner as he'll be signed to vet minimum deal anyway. The cap hold is less for the roster spot (2nd year player vs. 10th or whatever Bonner is). Probably a difference of several hundred thousand bucks but can be meaningful in maneuvering. Once FA is over, they can just go sign Bonner at the minimum.

Seventyniner
06-16-2014, 03:56 PM
Frye is a stretch-five, which is pretty much the rarest skill-set in the league. As far as I know, there are only three such players in the league, and Channing is the best of them. He'd be incredibly valuable to the Spurs, but it would weird to see the team blow 2015 cap space on him. The nice thing about it is that he and Splitter would be a fine combo no both sides of the ball.

Are the others Bonner and Bargnani? Mehmet Okur must be rolling over in his grave.

Mel_13
06-16-2014, 03:57 PM
I'd renounce Bonner as he'll be signed to vet minimum deal anyway. The cap hold is less for the roster spot (2nd year player vs. 10th or whatever Bonner is). Probably a difference of several hundred thousand bucks but can be meaningful in maneuvering. Once FA is over, they can just go sign Bonner at the minimum.

Those small amounts only matter in year that a team intends to use cap space. The Spurs won't be using cap space in 2014. All their player signings will made using various exceptions to the salary cap.

Chinook
06-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Are the others Bonner and Bargnani? Mehmet Okur must be rolling over in his grave.

I did miss Bargs. I guess there are four. The others were Hawes and Antic. Bonner's a stretch-four.

Nathan89
06-16-2014, 04:00 PM
Spurs definitely need a stretch big and I'd really like Frye to do that for the Spurs. His skill set would flourish in the Spurs system.

letmk
06-16-2014, 04:02 PM

I feel CoJo can be even better next season, giving us a pleasant surprise. Plus, if he doesn't progress as expected, you can always trade him before Feburary deadline instead of now.

Nathan89
06-16-2014, 04:02 PM
Frye
Diaw
Leonard
Ginobili
Parker

Would be a sick offensive lineup tbh.

Seventyniner
06-16-2014, 04:18 PM
I did miss Bargs. I guess there are four. The others were Hawes and Antic. Bonner's a stretch-four.

I thought you'd consider Bonner a five because his strength on defense is in the post. What is your distinction?

xmas1997
06-16-2014, 04:24 PM
Essentially. Used the mMLE and can opt out. I don't know how much interest the Spurs would have if he did, though. The main appeal of AK was that he'd be a secondary Lebron/Durant defender. While the Finals did show that it would be nice to have someone to check James when Kahwi gets into foul trouble, I don't think Kirilenko really showed well in that regard during the ECSF. I'm not sure he was noticeably better at defending James than Diaw (who wasn't really good) was. While I think the team would take him over Ayres, I doubt they'd spend the MLE on a player who wouldn't be in the top-8 of the rotation.

Thanks for the astute take as always.
I still have hopes we get Love somehow without gutting the team. That would carry us past the TD years IMHO.

TacoCabanaFajitas
06-16-2014, 04:28 PM
If we can't bring back Patty that would really suck. I'm hopeful we can get him and then pick up some of the Lakers' scraps. I really liked what I saw from Wesley Johnson this year, and think he would be a perfect fit to spell Kawhi and Danny. Gasol, if he was looking to take a pay cut and become a cog in the Spurs machine. Even Meeks is interesting as another knockdown shooter.

Also curious to see what Jeff Adrien will command

Mel_13
06-16-2014, 04:32 PM
Also curious to see what Jeff Adrien will command

Should be a minimum player. I've always regarded him as a poor man's DeJuan Blair.

xmas1997
06-16-2014, 04:35 PM
Then it may well be that the draft is what gives us a competent backup for Leonard at pick #30 unless they move up.

Chinook
06-16-2014, 04:41 PM
I thought you'd consider Bonner a five because his strength on defense is in the post. What is your distinction?

Part of it is the position at which the player is actually listed. A bigger part is what type of player starts next to them in the front court. Antic, Hawes and Frye (before this season) were each the biggest players on their side of the floor and started next to PFs who were perhaps undersized. So they defensively matched up with the opposing five. Bonner technically played the five, but Duncan was the real center, and Matt was listed as a PF/SF when Tim wasn't on the floor. By that definition, Bosh was also a stretch-five, while Bargs was a stretch-four, but I think their current positions are kind of anomalous compared to their careers.

Essentially, take away their three-point shot, and what position would they play?

Seventyniner
06-16-2014, 04:49 PM
Essentially, take away their three-point shot, and what position would they play?

For Bonner it would be assistant coach.

TacoCabanaFajitas
06-16-2014, 04:51 PM
Should be a minimum player. I've always regarded him as a poor man's DeJuan Blair.

I don't think anything about him that I saw this year says minimum player. Dude can fill it up, at least on a bad team. I'd like to see him work with Splitter on the 2nd unit if Boris is starting. I was thinking of him as a Middle-Class Man's Drew Gooden

Mr. Body
06-16-2014, 05:00 PM

Not to say they dodged a bullet with Kirilenko, but after the playoffs I don't know where he'd fit. He's a good junk/defensive player but wouldn't help offensively, which Leonard does. And as noted they didn't need a backup long SF defender after all. Kirilenko's not getting better or younger.

xmas1997
06-16-2014, 05:11 PM
Many are saying that the Spurs should draft Inglis to back up Leonard if he hasn't taken his name out of the draft yet.
He has hands as big or bigger than Leonard and plays hard defense.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-16-2014, 06:55 PM
It wasn't his shooting that kept him on the outskirts of the rotation, as he connected on 43 percent of his 3PA. Rather, it was his defensive issues. Bearing that in mind, the Spurs could seek to upgrade their stretch big position by pursuing Channing Frye, who can opt out of the last year of his deal in Phoenix. An elite shooter, Frye also is an underrated post defender and works well within team defensive schemes, and he was rebounding the ball well until he began to wear down over the second half of the season.

funny that you said that as he was actually very nice to the Spurs in twitter - I thought he was actually selling himself to the champs

xmas1997
06-16-2014, 07:00 PM
funny that you said that as he was actually very nice to the Spurs in twitter - I thought he was actually selling himself to the champs

This could be very interesting if your hunch is true.
That would be a significant upgrade.

Warlord23
06-16-2014, 07:03 PM
IDK if lowballing Diaw to throw money at a soft big like Frye is a good idea.

xmas1997
06-16-2014, 07:05 PM
IDK if lowballing Diaw to throw money at a soft big like Frye is a good idea.

Why would they lowball Diaw?

Warlord23
06-16-2014, 07:14 PM
Why would they lowball Diaw?

Unless I'm reading it wrong, the article in the OP suggests that the Spurs should sign Frye for almost double of what they'd offer Diaw. If I'm Diaw I wouldn't consider that a fair offer, especially given how the Finals panned out

DAF86
06-16-2014, 07:18 PM
Long, athletic SF and Bigman with a jumpshot. That's the two areas where the Spurs could improve.

TheGoldStandard
06-16-2014, 07:20 PM
Bertans and Jean Charles need to make an appearance in the Summer League, really though Bertans could be something of interest next season.

cjw
06-16-2014, 07:21 PM
Those small amounts only matter in year that a team intends to use cap space. The Spurs won't be using cap space in 2014. All their player signings will made using various exceptions to the salary cap.

Unless TD retires, you're exactly right. I'm just too far in the weeds.

T Park
06-16-2014, 07:31 PM
Bertans and Jean Charles need to make an appearance in the Summer League, really though Bertans could be something of interest next season.

Not happening with their injuries

exstatic
06-16-2014, 07:37 PM
Many are saying that the Spurs should draft Inglis to back up Leonard if he hasn't taken his name out of the draft yet.
He has hands as big or bigger than Leonard and plays hard defense.

Inglis pulled out right before the deadline today.

TheGoldStandard
06-16-2014, 07:46 PM

Understandable but would have hoped one of our draft and stash would be at Summer League. How's Hanga's progress if you know?

Mel_13
06-16-2014, 07:52 PM
I don't think anything about him that I saw this year says minimum player. Dude can fill it up, at least on a bad team. I'd like to see him work with Splitter on the 2nd unit if Boris is starting. I was thinking of him as a Middle-Class Man's Drew Gooden

:lol

xmas1997
06-16-2014, 07:53 PM

Damn, sorry to hear that.

superbigtime
06-16-2014, 07:57 PM
Channing Frye 7 million? Yeah, fuck that!

Uriel
06-17-2014, 08:05 AM
I seriously doubt a GM as forward thinking as RC would sacrifice the 2015 cap space for a player like Channing Frye. More likely, he'd try to sign a mid-tier Bonner replacement, a la Josh McRoberts, to a one-year deal, rather than break the bank for a guy who's only marginally better.

Jenks
06-17-2014, 08:23 AM
That article could have the winning lotto numbers and I'd never know it

As soon as I see Elhassan's name, I think of this, and move on
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2013/matchup/_/teams/spurs-lakers

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-17-2014, 08:24 AM

Bertans is already playing. Here is a clip from one of his latest games. The guy has game and would fit nicely in the Spurs system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg4UzYoRWQg

Darkwaters
06-17-2014, 08:25 AM

I think there are legitimate arguments about whether Bargnani is actually an NBA player though. :lol

spursparker9
06-17-2014, 08:33 AM
Bertans is already playing. Here is a clip from one of his latest games. The guy has game and would fit nicely in the Spurs system.

Wow his speed for a 6'10 guy...

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-17-2014, 08:52 AM
Wow his speed for a 6'10 guy...

Yes, before his injury he had the ability to jump from the FT line and dunk. He got hops as well. With today's surgery improvements its sometimes actually better to have an ACL injury early because today surgeries actually make the ligament stronger.

Many compare him as the next Dirk. Not going there, but he is much more athletic than Dirk was at 22. Looks like a promising prospect for the Spurs in the future. I think he is ready to make that jump this offseason.

spursparker9
06-17-2014, 08:57 AM
Yes, before his injury he had the ability to jump from the FT line and dunk. He got hops as well. With today's surgery improvements its sometimes actually better to have an ACL injury early because today surgeries actually make the ligament stronger.

Many compare him as the next Dirk. Not going there, but he is much more athletic than Dirk was at 22. Looks like a promising prospect for the Spurs in the future. I think he is ready to make that jump this offseason.

Agreed. Just by watching through the short video, his speed and NBA's 3 point range have impressed me. Man, this makes the George Hill trade even sweeter.

btw on a side note, lol Bertans's teammates all look around the same height as him. Seems to me that they are playing 6'9, 6'10 guys at all positions lol

Raven
06-17-2014, 09:21 AM
Pointless to debate until timmy opts in

T Park
06-17-2014, 02:23 PM
Understandable but would have hoped one of our draft and stash would be at Summer League. How's Hanga's progress if you know?

I've personally given up on Hanga.

T Park
06-17-2014, 02:24 PM

Yeah I know, just think he'll be playing for his country's team rather than summer league. Summer of 2015 is my bet.

T Park
06-17-2014, 02:26 PM
Bertrans is the real deal. His shooting for is Michael Finley esque.

If he wants to come over, great, but, there's no PT to be found here though if Millls is back.

ducks
06-17-2014, 02:36 PM
Jean Charles is staying in france one more year tp asked spurs

cd98
06-17-2014, 02:37 PM
Not to say they dodged a bullet with Kirilenko, but after the playoffs I don't know where he'd fit. He's a good junk/defensive player but wouldn't help offensively, which Leonard does. And as noted they didn't need a backup long SF defender after all. Kirilenko's not getting better or younger.

I actually think Kirilenko would fit perfectly in the Spurs system. He's a more athletic Boris Diaw. Not quite as good a passer, but a good passer and playmaker nonetheless. And a good defender.

ducks
06-17-2014, 02:38 PM
Kirilenko is not more athletic then diaw now

xmas1997
06-17-2014, 02:55 PM

I am hearing now that he changed his mind and stayed in the draft.
Could someone maybe have made him a promise, OKC?

Drom John
06-17-2014, 03:06 PM
Stretch 5 (or 5-4 or 4-5)

For single seasons; played in the NBA/BAA; in the regular season; in 2013-14; played F-C or C or C-F; requiring 3-Pt Field Goal Attempts >= 82; sorted by descending 3-Pt Field Goal Pct.

1) Spencer Hawes
2) Anthony Tolliver
3) Boris Diaw
4) Byron Mullens
5) Channing Frye
6) Chris Bosh

There's only 6

xmas1997
06-17-2014, 03:10 PM
Channing Frye might thrive here under the Spurs system. Diaw did and revived his career.

toki9
06-17-2014, 03:24 PM
Bring everyone back but Bonner...Bonner goes to the front office...bring Bertans over...see what happens

xmas1997
06-17-2014, 03:28 PM
I am very very curious this year about what they do in the draft with picks #s 30, 58, & 60.
Do they stand pat, trade up, trade down, or sell their pick, and who do they draft.
It is all very intriguing this year.

T Park
06-17-2014, 03:32 PM
I think they attempt to trade up, doesn't happen, draft and stash all three.

xmas1997
06-17-2014, 03:34 PM
I think they attempt to trade up, doesn't happen, draft and stash all three.

I think you have to pay first round draftees a salary so I don't think they would stash a player they have to pay.

BlackSilver
06-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Bonner for the minimum wouldn't be bad. Why are so many projecting him for a coaching career? Is it because of his "Coach B" videos?

And I don't understand the Kirilenko love. We need young (cheap) prospects rather than washed up corpses clogging up the salary cap. Bertans sounds great.

Johnny RIngo
06-17-2014, 03:57 PM
And I don't understand the Kirilenko love. We need young (cheap) prospects rather than washed up corpses clogging up the salary cap. Bertans sounds great.

Well, AK was awesome last year. The injury obviously affected him this year so it's kinda hard to guage how much he has left in the tank. If he can get back to playing at his 2013 level, he'd be invaluable to any team that picks him up.

xmas1997
06-17-2014, 03:59 PM
Bonner for the minimum wouldn't be bad. Why are so many projecting him for a coaching career? Is it because of his "Coach B" videos?

Even though I brought up Kirilenko, I agree that we need youth. The upside to AK47 is his shooting, length, basketball IQ, and halfway decent defense, but you are right, he is getting older.

BlackSilver
06-17-2014, 04:24 PM
Even though I brought up Kirilenko, I agree that we need youth. The upside to AK47 is his shooting, length, basketball IQ, and halfway decent defense, but you are right, he is getting older.

I don't disagree that he would be an asset to most teams, but his price-ago combo would be all wrong for the Spurs. Same with Frye.

MaNu4Tres
06-17-2014, 05:05 PM

Don't understand the hype w/ Inglis. Has good physical tools (length, wingspan, height), but he isn't nearly as athletic as the physical tools might indicate. Not a fan.

wildcardX
06-17-2014, 05:10 PM

He looks like he moves faster and drives to the hoop better than Austin Daye with the same shooting range. Would be interested to see how he fares against NBA caliber competition.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-19-2014, 07:25 AM
He looks like he moves faster and drives to the hoop better than Austin Daye with the same shooting range. Would be interested to see how he fares against NBA caliber competition.

He had a 20+ point game against CSKA Moscow a couple of years ago in the Euro League and they beat the Wolves if you don't remember last year. He even had a 20 point game against Real Madrid.

The guy is a competitor. Someone I definitely would want to see on the Spurs roster. His contract is up next year. I think he needs another year to fully recover and he should be ready next year to make the jump over.

exstatic
06-19-2014, 07:46 AM

Someone mentioned Jokic earlier, and I think THAT might be OKC's promise. Supposedly, they made one to Porzingis, a similar player, but he DID actually pull out. For tax reasons, they really need to stash at least one of their first round picks, having both their own and Dallas's picks this year.

mudyez
06-19-2014, 08:25 AM
I'd love us to be the team that wins back2backchips with exactly the same crew!

Bring back Manu+Timmy!

Bring back Patty!

Bring back Boris!

Bring back Bonner (I'm sure he wont be expensive)!

I don't want to see any new faces on this team!

xmas1997
06-19-2014, 12:35 PM
I think Bonner goes to the FO.

Mal
06-19-2014, 01:15 PM
I think bringing everybody except Bonner and take Bertans would be good summer. Or just wait and see who is willing to play for Spurs for below market value. Guy like Pau Gasol, Marvin Williams could fit the system.

xmas1997
06-19-2014, 01:20 PM
It's being reported now that Joel Embiid has possibly broken his foot.
With all his previous injuries, I wonder how far this will make him fall in the draft.
To #30? Naw, pipe dream. :lol

Mal
06-19-2014, 01:41 PM
It's being reported now that Joel Embiid has possibly broken his foot.
With all his previous injuries, I wonder how far this will make him fall in the draft.
To #30? Naw, pipe dream. :lol

Another lottery won by Cavs

kobyz
06-19-2014, 01:41 PM
Draft Glenn Robinson III, re sign Patrick and Boris, sign Paul Pierce, for the 15 spot choose between bringing Bertrans, keeping Daye or even give Damion James a contract if you see somthnig in him to work with, than you can call it a summer...

Tony Parker/Patrick Mills/Corey Joseph
Danny Green/Manu Ginobili/Marco Belinelli
Kawhi Leonard/Glenn Robinson III/(Davis Bertrans/Damion James/Austin Daye)
Paul Pierce/Boris Diaw/Jeff Pendergraph
Tim Duncan/Tiago Splitter/Aron Baynes

tesseractive
06-19-2014, 04:36 PM
I think Bonner's great as a 12th or 13th man who won't play much except in blowouts or when there are injuries, but has been through enough that he wouldn't be afraid to step in if we need an extra body in a playoff game, like this year.

Other than trying to find a legit backup 3, I'm perfectly fine with putting the band back together for the year. Obviously if there's someone amazing available who wants to come, that would change things.

xmas1997
06-19-2014, 06:17 PM
I think Bonner's great as a 12th or 13th man who won't play much except in blowouts or when there are injuries, but has been through enough that he wouldn't be afraid to step in if we need an extra body in a playoff game, like this year.

Other than trying to find a legit backup 3, I'm perfectly fine with putting the band back together for the year. Obviously if there's someone amazing available who wants to come, that would change things.

I agree, but that is why I keep bringing up Channing Frye who tweeted a congratulations to the Spurs and will be a free agent.
I may be reading more into it than there is, but I like my hunch that he would like to be a Spur.

tesseractive
06-19-2014, 08:01 PM
I agree, but that is why I keep bringing up Channing Frye who tweeted a congratulations to the Spurs and will be a free agent.
I may be reading more into it than there is, but I like my hunch that he would like to be a Spur.

He started last year. Would he be ok moving to the bench and reducing his minutes quite a bit?

xmas1997
06-20-2014, 12:47 AM
He started last year. Would he be ok moving to the bench and reducing his minutes quite a bit?

I don't know. He is 31 so he might.
But it appears that the Heat are interested in him.