PDA

View Full Version : Finley close to a deal with Miami...plus Devin update

Solid D
08-16-2005, 10:00 PM
I just saw 9 O'clock News Sportscast with Chuck Miketinac. The report:

KABB Max Sports got some late info tonight that Michael Finley was close to agreeing to a deal with Miami. The Spurs according to their source were not even in Finley's final three teams...the Heat, Detroit and the Bulls were the three teams. Finley was obviously looking at teams that could pay him more than $2.5M.

Chuck Miketinac also reported that he had spoken with Devin Brown's agent Derek Powell and that Derek told him two more teams had contacted them that had never called them before and that the Jazz have called him every day since the face-to-face visit with them last Monday. A contract offer is soon to follow.

Kori Ellis
08-16-2005, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the update, SolidD.

:tu

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2005, 10:06 PM
Which means that tomorrow Finley will sign with the Spurs and Devin will be re-upped.

Anyways, it shouldn't be surprising that the Spurs are on the outside looking in with respect to Finley. But losing DBrown would be a self-inflicted wound of the 1st order.

A 2 or 3 year deal starting at $2.5 mil should be good enough to land a nice young prospect like DerMarr Johnson, James Jones or Rodney White....or perhaps a vet like McKie or Big Dog.

SequSpur
08-16-2005, 11:06 PM
Finley signed a deal with Cuban to go to an Eastern Conference team and he will get his money quicker.

Walton Buys Off Me
08-16-2005, 11:50 PM
Good thing that San Antonio has been lucky with the draft and solid with international scouting because the 'general manager' part of the game we totally suck at......

Be nice if Tim Duncan picked up a phone once a while and made people feel wanted here. Oh wait he did that with Jason Kidd and forced the franchise into losing it's entire cap flexibility that summer which ended up netting us Rasho Nesterovic and....wait for it, wait for it....Hedo Turkoglu.

Like I said, thank God for luck and scouting.

We need a General Manger that can convince free agents to play here.

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2005, 11:51 PM
Tim Duncan cannot turn the Riverwalk into South Beach.

Walton Buys Off Me
08-16-2005, 11:52 PM
On a footnote, enough of this Devin Brown shit. His agent pretending that he's wanted is funnier than Eddy Curry acting like he's in demand.

Dude is a dime-a-dozen shooting guard that you'll find on every outdoor court in North America, let alone in NBA gyms.

Nice kid and all but please, replaceable in a heartbeat.

Spurminator
08-16-2005, 11:54 PM
He's got a starting position in Miami. He can put up decent starter numbers and sign another decent contract after this one is up... It's a better business decision. The Spurs couldn't offer those minutes to him.

Walton Buys Off Me
08-16-2005, 11:56 PM
Tim Duncan cannot turn the Riverwalk into South Beach

He can try................that would be nice from time to time.

All I'm saying is that if it weren't for the luck of the draw in '88 and '97, we'd be that team in Georgia shelling out 70 million for Joe Fucking Johnson because we couldn't lure any real talent to our city.....

We're the goddamn NBA Champions, people should want to play for us. Is R.C Buford still on vacation or what?

Walton Buys Off Me
08-16-2005, 11:56 PM
By the way, Michael Finley will be the Heat's seventh man, not a starter.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-17-2005, 12:01 AM
the 'general manager' part of the game we totally suck at

We don't suck at GMing. San Antonio sucks at nightlife and "scenery" - two things that Miami kicks the shit out of SA ten times over on.

Oh, and he's getting more money going down there than he would here.

Marcus Bryant
08-17-2005, 12:02 AM
He can get 25 minutes a night with the Heat, be it starting or off the bench and, oh yeah, live in Miami during the season.

Walton Buys Off Me
08-17-2005, 12:03 AM
I find it hard to believe that a veteral like Michael Finley is being swayed by the allure of South Beach. He's not right out of high school here. He's spent a ton of time in Texas and I feel like we made a very minimal effort in landing him.

Marcus Bryant
08-17-2005, 12:08 AM
I think that living in SA during the season serves as a nice litmus test for potential Spurs acquisitions. If a player has to live in a desirable city during the season, he might not be the type of guy who will be down with playing Spurs basketball and trying to win championships.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-17-2005, 12:09 AM
I'm sorry, but you're an idiot. It's not just the nightlife there. A simple list of pros for going to each place...

If he comes to SA:
* he gets paid less
* he's buried behind Bowen and Manu on the depth chart
* he has a history with Bowen
* Spurs win, and he comes off as someone who gravy trained/coat-tailed his way to a ring

If he goes to Miami:
* better nightlife
* better scenery
* warmer weather
* better African American scene
* he gets paid more
* he has a legitimate shot to start and play significant minutes
* he shares agents and has probably hung out with Wade
* Miami wins, and he is the man who helped put them over the top

I wouldn't put it past Cuban to give him an extra 5-10 million to NOT come to SA, either, but that's a reach and speculation at best.

boutons
08-17-2005, 12:09 AM
"live in Miami during the season."

wow, poor guy, Finley. Miami an expensive place. I hope he can feed his family.

Spurminator
08-17-2005, 12:16 AM
He'll start. He'll be taking over the Eddie Jones role.

I'd be willing to bet that his desire to be a starter is a key factor in his negotiations with potential suitors.

PM5K
08-17-2005, 12:21 AM

We don't need shit biatch, we are the defending NBA Champions....

And how do you specifically know what talks have happened between Mike and the Spurs?

milkyway21
08-17-2005, 12:22 AM
Good thing that San Antonio has been lucky with the draft and solid with international scouting because the 'general manager' part of the game we totally suck at......

Be nice if Tim Duncan picked up a phone once a while and made people feel wanted here. Oh wait he did that with Jason Kidd and forced the franchise into losing it's entire cap flexibility that summer which ended up netting us Rasho Nesterovic and....wait for it, wait for it....Hedo Turkoglu.

We need a General Manger that can convince free agents to play here.i think that's unfair to Timmy. He had so many conversations with SJax last yr but bec SJax wanted more it didn't push through. We got Brent because of Tim. We had Rasho bec. of Tim, too. Timmy beat Shaq in the Horry signing this summer (hello!!!), because Big Shot Rob thought Tim can win him one more ring than ShaQ. They all want to play alongside him.
Let Shaq do the recuiting in Miami, his target is to upgrade his team to match Tim's Spurs. Besides Tim is not the team's scouting agent. He's not the team manager. The Spurs good chemistry in the locker room, team leader's unselfish ways, being a Championship team is enough for any FA to decide come here.

Walton Buys Off Me
08-17-2005, 12:23 AM
Miami's starting five will be;

C O'Neal
PF Haslem
SF Posey
SG Wade
PG Williams

Riley has already said this. Walker will be their sixth man and presuming they sign Finley, he'll be their seventh and will rarely play with Shaq, rendering him almost useless.

If he had a brain in his head, he'd come to San Antonio. But I guess that's a stetch seing as he's a basketball player.

Please don't give me money issues. The guy is being paid 51 million dollars by a guy he no longer works for and would have no income tax in Texas........

PM5K
08-17-2005, 12:24 AM
i think that's unfair to Timmy. He had so many conversations with SJax last yr but bec SJax wanted more it didn't push through. We got Brent because of Tim. We had Rasho bec. of Tim, too. Timmy beat Shaq in the Horry signing this summer (hello!!!), because Big Shot Rob thought Tim can win him one more ring than ShaQ. They all want to play alongside him.
Let Shaq do the recuiting in Miami, his target is to upgrade his team to match Tim's Spurs. Besides Tim is not the team's scouting agent. He's not the team manager. The Spurs good chemistry in the locker room, team leader's unselfish ways, being a Championship team is enough for any FA to decide come here.

Yup, Tim doesn't have to do shit but be Tim, his numbers and awards speak for themselves, if you don't want to play with a three time NBA Finals MVP, well, what can I say?

Marcus Bryant
08-17-2005, 12:24 AM
Florida doesn't have one either...

TheTruth
08-17-2005, 12:28 AM
More money, more playing time, and he still has a legitimate shot at a ring. What would you do?

Spurminator
08-17-2005, 12:28 AM
Riley has already said this.

They haven't signed Finley yet.

You may be right about him being 7th man, but he'll still get more minutes than Posey. The Spurs won't offer him more minutes than Bowen or Manu. Best he could hope for here is 15/per. He'll get 25-30 in Miami.

Dre_7
08-17-2005, 12:34 AM
If they get Finley, MIA will er VERY VERY SCARY!

milkyway21
08-17-2005, 12:39 AM
I really wanted for the Spurs to look for players who wanted to be Spurs and help and realize that goal:4th NBA TITLE. Doesn't care about minutes or money.

And I wont' be disappointed if Finley joins the Heat or Detroit.

With a healthy and ankle-healed Duncan & well-rested Manu next season is already big enough for me.

Supreme Allah
08-17-2005, 12:45 AM
I swear if some of you fans are still not afraid of the Heat after this than you would have to be blind.

milkyway21
08-17-2005, 12:49 AM
They haven't signed Finley yet.
so Detroit is also focusing their eyes on Finley..so how about Flip's interest on Spree....:rolleyes

PM5K
08-17-2005, 01:00 AM
I swear if some of you fans are still not afraid of the Heat after this than you would have to be blind.

I'm not afraid of a team that stockpiles talent, it's been proven over and over again that a couple of damn good players, surrounded by damn good role players is the key to winning a championship.

Mike may never even see that ball if he plays with Walker in Miami...

tmtcsc
08-17-2005, 01:02 AM

3 Fucking Championships and you come up with that shit ?
You gotta be fucking joking. How about keeping Tim Duncan when he was all but gone to Orlando ? It was our GM that helped convince POP to pull the trigger on Manu.

Miami hasn't won shit and you think that their GM is a genius because he got Antoine Walker, JWill, Posey and possibly Finley. Nice moves but Shaq is still the only player on that team with a ring.

Fuck Michael Finley if he doesn't want to come here and play. Shit, Bruce oughtta call him up and tell him he'll never sniff another open jumper unless he plays with us.
Sprewell to Houston ? BFD All these teams are reaching for what we have...Continuity and Chemistry.

So what if these nimrods don't want to play here. Manu absolutely loves San Antonio and so does just about every player that lives in our city. Even a malcontent like Glen Robinson wants to come back here and play. And Devin ? All that bullshit from his agent is just sad. He should not even try to talk up other interest from other teams. Devin loves his hometown and would re-sign here in a heartbeat.

Dex
08-17-2005, 01:07 AM
I'm not afraid of a team that stockpiles talent, it's been proven over and over again that a couple of damn good players, surrounded by damn good role players is the key to winning a championship.

Signed, the 2003-2004 Dallas Mavericks.

Co-signed, the 2003-2004 Los Angeles Lakers.

j-6
08-17-2005, 01:17 AM
3 Fucking Championships and you come up with that shit ?
You gotta be fucking joking. How about keeping Tim Duncan when he was all but gone to Orlando ? It was our GM that helped convince POP to pull the trigger on Manu.

Miami hasn't won shit and you think that their GM is a genius because he got Antoine Walker, JWill, Posey and possibly Finley. Nice moves but Shaq is still the only player on that team with a ring.

Fuck Michael Finley if he doesn't want to come here and play. Shit, Bruce oughtta call him up and tell him he'll never sniff another open jumper unless he plays with us.
Sprewell to Houston ? BFD All these teams are reaching for what we have...Continuity and Chemistry.

So what if these nimrods don't want to play here. Manu absolutely loves San Antonio and so does just about every player that lives in our city. Even a malcontent like Glen Robinson wants to come back here and play. And Devin ? All that bullshit from his agent is just sad. He should not even try to talk up other interest from other teams. Devin loves his hometown and would re-sign here in a heartbeat.

:tu

Dre_7
08-17-2005, 01:21 AM
Im not worried about MIA. They still dont have Eva!!

Dex
08-17-2005, 01:28 AM
Im not worried about MIA. They still dont have Eva!!

I just loved how every time Eva was in the audience and the Spurs won, people were all, "OMG she's a charm!"

Then every time she showed and up they would lose, people were all "Fuck that! She's a curse!"

Yeah, let's disregard the 30 players and the 48 minutes of basketball. We all know it comes down to a single spectator in a crowd of 18,797. :rolleyes

I really want to find the record for the GEA (Games Eva Attended) so we can put this thing to rest.

milkyway21
08-17-2005, 01:33 AM
I swear if some of you fans are still not afraid of the Heat after this than you would have to be blind.I'm afraid that IF they won't win the title in June 2006 they will be dismantled next season.

Scary:cry

Note:the Spurs are looking for the future. thinking yrs. ahead. Let's just wait.

Amuseddaysleeper
08-17-2005, 02:45 AM
i think bruce bowen was another reason why spurs weren't even in contention. i dont finley woulda been able to put aside his differences with bowen to play for the spurs.

exstatic
08-17-2005, 07:14 AM
Interesting that he's only looking at EC teams. Wonder if Cuban cooked something up under the table for after his career.

Dos
08-17-2005, 07:20 AM
I doubt shaq can make it through the season without health issues again, I am not worried about the heat, i'd be more worried about detroit.. if flip can keep them together.. and lets not forget the pacers as well out east... bottom line the spurs are still the defending champions, and I think they will be much more improved with nazr having more time in the system, I think this will be the season the core jell's better and faster together as well....

rwb
08-17-2005, 07:52 AM
Horry decided to stay in SA for all the right reasons. He loves his teammates, enjoys the city and wants another ring. It amazes me that more players don't want to play for the Spurs, but I guess ego and greed are more rampant than I thought. If Finley wants to be another one of Shaq's bitches, so be it.

5ToolMan
08-17-2005, 08:21 AM
He can try................that would be nice from time to time.

All I'm saying is that if it weren't for the luck of the draw in '88 and '97, we'd be that team in Georgia shelling out 70 million for Joe Fucking Johnson because we couldn't lure any real talent to our city.....

We're the goddamn NBA Champions, people should want to play for us. Is R.C Buford still on vacation or what?

Pull your head out! The Spurs have solid starters who have the positions and minutes locked up with Parker, Manu, Bowen and Duncan. Few big name players want to take less from the Spurs, knowing their biggest contribution might be to wave a towel off the bench. LOL!

In Oberto the Spurs have signed a solid player who will fit their team and their needs like a glove. Horry back in the fold is also a great move. In addition, management has also not made foolish moves, just for the sake of making moves that could do more damage than good to a championship team. Overall, I would give the Spurs a B ... but it is still early.

Supergirl
08-17-2005, 08:35 AM
* Spurs win, and he comes off as someone who gravy trained/coat-tailed his way to a ring

If he goes to Miami:
* he has a legitimate shot to start and play significant minutes

* Miami wins, and he is the man who helped put them over the top

He will not put any team over the top. He's probably going to spend a lot of the season on the IR, to save face for being a bench warmer. Walker's healthier, and he's going to have to be the 6th or 7th man off the bench. Finley's got to get in line behind him.

Miami was one game away from the finals, they should have focused on getting guys healthier and building the chemistry. Now they're going to spend the whole season figuring out how they can all play with only one ball.

Finley clearly just wanted the money. If he had wanted to win he would have come here and gravytrained, like the rest of 'em. But bottom line is, he needs the Spurs more than we need him.

And what's up with the negativity? Barry took a paycut to come here. Bowen cut his salary down to make room for people. Manu could have gone anywhere. Duncan could have bolted for Orlando or anywhere else. People who don't want to be here, and play Spurs ball, don't belong here. Period.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-17-2005, 08:41 AM
Riley has already said this.

Well, he can't say Finley will start when he's not on the squad already.

Supergirl, you couldn't be more wrong. All pro players, even the "nice guys", have egos.

I guarantee you that no matter what you or I will think, Shaq is telling the guy "come put us over the top."

And if Miami goes from not making the Finals this past season to making it the coming one (let alone win it) with Finley playing a big role, it will be a stroke to his ego and all the idiot talking heads like Stephen A. Smith and Hubie Brown will say it's Finley who put the Heat over the top.

That's the way it works in the pros.

Jimcs50
08-17-2005, 08:47 AM
Miami is still not getting past Indy.....so all this is moot.

picnroll
08-17-2005, 08:50 AM
Finley would be a nice addition to the Heat. It'll let them play Wade at PG, Finley at SG and either Walker or Posey at SF.

Mark in Austin
08-17-2005, 08:58 AM
Well, I believe Finleys contract was structured so that his remaining salary will be paid out over a 10 year period at 5 million a year. Given those numbers, I could see how money in this new contract would be important (the offset isn't 100% from what I've read).

I suppose it's possible that Cuban let him know that he would bump up those deferred salary payments and get him his money faster if Finley signed in the east.

picnroll
08-17-2005, 09:00 AM
Detroit or the Pacers should try to throw some money at Mourning. Maybe he's put off seeing all his amnesty brethern getting a second piece of the pie while he's only getting vet minimum.

1Parker1
08-17-2005, 09:12 AM
Miami is still not getting past Indy.....so all this is moot.

Care to wager that Jim? :) I say Miami is scary good and they'll get to the NBA Finals this season. I don't know why people keep pointing to the 2003-2004 4 HOF Laker squad as the reason why they don't think the Heat will get very far. Didn't that Laker squad end up going to the NBA Finals?!

Anyways, point is, Miami was great last year, they've really improved their bench this year....how you don't think they're in serious contention is beyond my thinking.

ABDENOUR POWER
08-17-2005, 09:18 AM
Detroit or the Pacers should try to throw some money at Mourning. Maybe he's put off seeing all his amnesty brethern getting a second piece of the pie while he's only getting vet minimum.

I know I'd take Mourning. Another big strong body to throw at Shaq.

picnroll
08-17-2005, 09:21 AM
Interesting that he's only looking at EC teams. Wonder if Cuban cooked something up under the table for after his career.
The Arizona Republic paper is reporting there are rumors Cuban offered to accelerate Finley's contract payment if he'd sign with an Eastern Conference team.

Marcus Bryant
08-17-2005, 09:23 AM
Other than the Nuggets what Western Conference team has their full MLE?

ObiwanGinobili
08-17-2005, 09:26 AM
I think that living in SA during the season serves as a nice litmus test for potential Spurs acquisitions. If a player has to live in a desirable city during the season, he might not be the type of guy who will be down with playing Spurs basketball and trying to win championships.

fucking ay! :tu

and in my opinion SA is very desirable.. although obviously not in a nice-beaches-party-till-2am-lots-of-celebs-bright-lights kinda way.
But its a nice plac to live and lots of our great former players still live here.

Jimcs50
08-17-2005, 09:27 AM
Care to wager that Jim? :) I say Miami is scary good and they'll get to the NBA Finals this season. I don't know why people keep pointing to the 2003-2004 4 HOF Laker squad as the reason why they don't think the Heat will get very far. Didn't that Laker squad end up going to the NBA Finals?!

Anyways, point is, Miami was great last year, they've really improved their bench this year....how you don't think they're in serious contention is beyond my thinking.

I will wager with you...name the stakes.

PS. Sex is out of the question.

:)

Marcus Bryant
08-17-2005, 09:28 AM
Oh, I have no problem with San Antonio de Bexar, but if you're in your twenties or thirties with a multi-million $ annual cashflow would you want to live there when you could live, oh, say, in LA, NYC or Miami?

picnroll
08-17-2005, 09:41 AM
Spurs low profile, high IQ, heavily Euro, non-hip hop basketball team probably doesn't appeal to a lot of playas. Make your choice, can't have it both ways.

1Parker1
08-17-2005, 09:59 AM
Sex is out of the question. :)

Damn. I'm crushed. :depressed

:lol Seriously, how about if I win, you have to put up a pic of Brad Pitt in your Avitar, with a little I heart Brad logo underneath your name? :angel

And if you win (which won't happen, cuz the Pacers are NOT going to make it to the Finals), I'll.........?

Obi wan Ginobili
08-17-2005, 10:02 AM
I find it very suspicious that his final 3 teams are all Eastern Conference.

I think he isn't looking at the Spurs as a favor the the Mavs Franchise.

Cuban couldn't pay him anything for that though, that would get him thrown UNDER Sterns Bus.

clubalien
08-17-2005, 10:19 AM
stern would want him to go to the heat
remember how fast mami's trade got accepted
stern probaly throw in a bag of chips and look the other way to have a heat team pick up good players

Vashner
08-17-2005, 10:30 AM
He isn't looking at the Spurs cause HE SUCKS!!

I can't relax till he's off the market and NOT with the Spurs....

2centsworth
08-17-2005, 10:46 AM
Oh, I have no problem with San Antonio de Bexar, but if you're in your twenties or thirties with a multi-million $ annual cashflow would you want to live there when you could live, oh, say, in LA, NYC or Miami?
I have lived and visit NYC and Miami frequently. I would take SA over Miami in a heart beat. NYC is a very tough decision but I don't think I could live there year round. Canyon lake, the friendly environment, the hill country, and the food are hard to beat. I would have a house in both NYC and San Antonio. If I could afford it I'd buy another one in San Diego.

Jimcs50
08-17-2005, 11:16 AM
Damn. I'm crushed. :depressed

:lol Seriously, how about if I win, you have to put up a pic of Brad Pitt in your Avitar, with a little I heart Brad logo underneath your name? :angel

And if you win (which won't happen, cuz the Pacers are NOT going to make it to the Finals), I'll.........?

That is a gay bet. Let me think of something else...we have til November to decide.

tmtcsc
08-17-2005, 12:03 PM
It's amazing to me that a team that was 2 minutes away from the Finals has just about dismantled their team. Granted, they kept the 2 big Superstars but they aren't considering chemistry.

It might come back to bite them on the ass. They have alot of heavy personalities in that locker room now. Phoenix will exprience the same thing. Haven't we learned that in this new era you need your superstars surrounded by quality role players ?

"With the talent we have assembled, I mean, we'll run folks out da gym......no doubt"

-- Anonymous USA Basketball player 2004

1Parker1
08-17-2005, 12:30 PM
That is a gay bet. Let me think of something else...we have til November to decide.

:flipoff Fine.......think of something good that doesn't involve sex.....or of me posting nude pics of myself. I mean, a girl has to have some limits! :angel

Banks91
08-17-2005, 12:33 PM
Indiana will not beat the heat, cuz they are over rated. The east comes down to the pistons and heat, and pistons will win

In the finals they will play the spurs , and i GUARANTEE THAT THE SERIES GOES 5 GAMES MAX, WITH DUNCAN GOIN NUTS , PURELY FOR REVENGE

Banks91
08-17-2005, 12:35 PM
some one go ahead and save my post, but its already written that series is goin only 5 games max, with the spurs as champ. If not , ya'll will never see me on this site again.

And im not tpark, i will actually leave, and not come back.

GoSpurs21
08-17-2005, 01:03 PM

We need a General Manger that can convince free agents to play here.once again the village idiot shows himself...yea the job RC did last year of unloading Malik's contact for a size in Narz totally sucked

PM5K
08-17-2005, 01:49 PM
Haven't we learned that in this new era you need your superstars surrounded by quality role players ?

"With the talent we have assembled, I mean, we'll run folks out da gym......no doubt"

-- Anonymous USA Basketball player 2004

I already posted the same thing, this team had an injury to one of it's best players, he missed one game if I recall correctly and they were one win away from the finals, this team really didn't need such major changes.....

adrienne
08-17-2005, 01:56 PM
Aw, I'm glad he's looking at the Bulls...his daughter (who I think is about 2) and her mother/Finley's girlfriend live there. I'm suprised that didn't come up until now.

adrienne
08-17-2005, 01:59 PM
Oops, got too swept up in the moment to remember that he's passed that "three final teams" stage to the "almost has a deal" stage, with a team that is NOT, in fact, Chicago.:)

Dre_7
08-17-2005, 02:08 PM
He isn't looking at the Spurs cause HE SUCKS!!

I can't relax till he's off the market and NOT with the Spurs....

If he signs with MIA, then they are VERY VERY dangerous. And if your blind hatred for Michael Finley wont allow you to see that, then I dont know what to say. But he doesnt suck. Hopefully he goes to Chicago!