PDA

View Full Version : The Sweetest Spurs Victory - Revisited

sexinthatsx
06-16-2014, 03:07 PM
OKAY, now that the Spurs finally won the Championship (I didn't want to jinx it this whole post-season by posting it), lets revisit the question - Which Spurs Championship Title is the sweetest?!

1999 - NY Knicks
2003 - New Jersey Nets
2005 - Detroit Pistons
2007 - Cleveland Cavs
2014 - Miami Heat

I'm going to say that this year is by far the sweetest for several reasons:
1. Tim Duncan made history by winning rings in 3 different decades; made history to arguably become one of the top 5 players in NBA history; and won a ring at 38 years old!
2. All past championships were riding on the prime talents of Manu, Parker, and Duncan. When Kawhi won Finals MVP, Duncan in essence "passed the torch" of the franchise to new generation - Kawhi Leonard
3. I have not seen a player like Kawhi play as vicious defense as Scottie Pippen
4. Spurs, with their teamwork, SHUT DOWN what media arguably calls the best player in the history of the NBA!
5. This has been by far the hardest road to the playoffs - despite what others say. Spurs had to take out Dallas Mavs in 7 games, and although Spurs made Portland look like a fool the second round, it wasn't because the Blazers are that bad, it's because the Spurs were THAT good. The OKC series was one of the most egregiously reffed series that I have ever watched, it was like Spurs v. Thunder and the NBA. The Spurs got dicked so hard that series but managed to win in 6; which gave me the utmost confidence that they could destroy the Heat. I called a sweep on the Heat, but it happened in 5. :hat

And as a side note, ALL GINOBILI HATERS ON ST CAN SUCK IT. That celebration at the end with a picture of the big 3 in the front will not be the same if Ginobili wasn't there - Ginobili is and always will be a part of the team.

Budkin
06-16-2014, 03:08 PM
This one, no doubt, after going through the hell of last year and coming all the way back to win it the way we did. Not even close.

will_spurs
06-16-2014, 03:11 PM
This one can only be compared to 99.

And btw the Spurs didn't shutdown Lebron at all. Check his stats... They bothered him, though, and shut everybody else out.

sexinthatsx
06-16-2014, 03:16 PM
This one can only be compared to 99.

And btw the Spurs didn't shutdown Lebron at all. Check his stats... They bothered him, though, and shut everybody else out.

Lebron is always going to get his stats in. My term for "shutting down" means that while he can score 80 points in a game, his ability as a facilitator to make other teammates better and get his teammates going on offense and defense are quashed. A team's aggressiveness starts and ends with the leader on the court; his inability to make his team aggressive and want it more is on him.

I'm not taking away how great of a player Lebron is individually; I'm just questioning his ability to lead a team.

ceperez
06-16-2014, 03:32 PM
1999 - NY Knicks - First win but Spurs were heavy favorites.
2003 - New Jersey Nets - Spurs were heavy favorites, practically a walk in the park.
2005 - Detroit Pistons - This my 2nd place considering how close the contest was.
2007 - Cleveland Cavs - Spurs were heavy favorites and James was still learning the ropes.
2014 - Miami Heat - Definitely the sweatest. Kind of like a best of 12 series against Miami and the Spurs finally won convincingly.

Phenomanul
06-16-2014, 05:29 PM
2014 for sure...