PDA

View Full Version : Urban Sprawl Hater Here

Guru of Nothing
08-16-2005, 10:16 PM
I'm giddy as hell over these skyrocketing gas prices. I hope gas rises to $5.00 a gallon. It would correct a lot of shit.

Payback is a bitch, literally.

Back to the fridge for another beer.

boutons
08-16-2005, 10:37 PM
US gas now is still not as high a Iranian revolution prices of 1981.

btw, the collapse of oil prices in the mid-80's, as the West learned to produce more with much less oil in response to the Iranian oil shock, is what bankrupted Russian communist party/army into cold-war defeat, because oil $$ was the only hard currency flowing into Russia and their moribund industries, NOT St. Ronnie saying "tear this wall down", NOT Repug wet-dreams like Star Wars.

Similary, the current high oil prices, inflated by shrub's bogus Iraq war, oil price inflation as intended by shrub's handlers, are pouring $Bs into terrorist-supporting Iran as much as they are pouring $Bs into shrub's paymasters at the US oil co's.

shrub's refusal to reduce USA's dependence on (M/E) oil has made the USA vulnerable to well-financed terrorist/nuclear/missile enemies like Iran and to economic dislocations of "oil shock". But as long as the oil co's get theirs, fuck the rest of us.

Clandestino
08-16-2005, 10:39 PM
yeah, this all bush's fault... stfu!

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2005, 10:41 PM
Time for a New Belgium Sunshine...

whottt
08-16-2005, 11:07 PM
shrub's refusal to reduce USA's dependence on (M/E) oil has made the USA vulnerable to well-financed terrorist/nuclear/missile enemies like Iran and to economic dislocations of "oil shock". But as long as the oil co's get theirs, fuck the rest of us.

Hey idiot....

You know when you fucking liberals made the Artic Wildlife Preserve off limits at a time when gas prices were already escalating?

Guess what you accomplished with that move?

And we aren't that dependent on ME Oil...the world however, is.

And if we aren't there maintaining the security of the supply...man you haven't even seen fucking high gas prices.

You know those countries that were opposed to us invading Iraq? Guess where two of them get almost all their Oil from....

You know what you do every time you get into your car? You increase our dependence on foreign Oil.

There are alternatives out there....use them. Then you can preach and not come off sounding like an idiot.

Nbadan
08-16-2005, 11:18 PM
You know when you fucking liberals made the Artic Wildlife Preserve off limits at a time when gas prices were already escalating?

Guess what you accomplished with that move?

Ummm...Whott, the Republicans removed drilling in ANWAR as a possibility anytime soon before they went on vacation.

whottt
08-16-2005, 11:31 PM
Yeah because it takes years to build the infrastructure to produce Oil at a meaningul capacity...

The bottom line is that blaming Bush for our dependence on mid-east Oil is about as stupid a thing as I have ever heard...It was years in the making...

You drive a car don't you? You are part of the reason we are dependent on Oil...

What do you want W to do...show up to your house on a bike and give you a lift to where you need to go?

You want us to be less dependent on foreign Oil...then you need to become less dependent on foreign Oil...

There are alternatives out there...use them...or shut up about it.

cecil collins
08-17-2005, 01:01 AM
And if we aren't there maintaining the security of the supply...man you haven't even seen fucking high gas prices.

You are right, because I don't remember getting gas before we went over and made it safe. You are full of shit. I also see an overkill of ... ... ...you are a redneck.

whottt
08-17-2005, 01:43 AM
You are right, because I don't remember getting gas before we went over and made it safe. You are full of shit. I also see an overkill of ... ... ...you are a redneck.

Were you alive in the 70's? We've been keeping it safe since then. For the entire world moreso than for ourselves......Why don't you check the adjusted rate for what gas cost back then when it was unsecured and there was political unrest...

whottt
08-17-2005, 01:48 AM
If you don't think gas prices would be even higher, exponentially higher, without us being in the middle east...you are fucking ignorant.

MannyIsGod
08-17-2005, 02:18 AM
I agree that blaming Bush for our dependence on foreign oil is fucking stupid. You can blame no one but the American people who allowed it to happen because they didn't give a rats ass while they were paying under a dollar a gallon.

I'm with Guru and I've been saying it. I love to see that price go up and up. See you fuckers on the bus.

smeagol
08-17-2005, 06:00 AM
I don't and will not own a car in the forseable future. Forget about gas prices, it costs me $500 a month to park a car in this fucking island!

RandomGuy
08-17-2005, 07:24 AM
yeah, this all bush's fault... stfu!

Energy independence should have been one of the main priorities a long time ago, and certainly one of the main priorities after 9-11.

If he had an ounce of vision, we would be spending $100 billion per year on an Apollo-style research program for energy independence and not a costly, pointless invasion to protect our main oil buddies.

Dos
08-17-2005, 07:51 AM
I thought bill clinton and al gore had solved all our energy dependence needs, dam WTF did they do for over 8 years.. oh yeah they tapped into the oil reserves in Louisiana.. dammit ..

SWC Bonfire
08-17-2005, 08:10 AM
I thought bill clinton and al gore had solved all our energy dependence needs, dam WTF did they do for over 8 years.. oh yeah they tapped into the oil reserves in Louisiana.. dammit ..

Everyone forgets about this... I wonder if some of the oil traders around here know if the increased demand for refilling the strategic reserve kept prices high and escalated demand.

SWC Bonfire
08-17-2005, 08:12 AM
I'm giddy as hell over these skyrocketing gas prices. I hope gas rises to $5.00 a gallon. It would correct a lot of shit.

Payback is a bitch, literally.

Back to the fridge for another beer.

Here's the problem: Those beers are delivered to the distributor in a TRUCK. The beer is then loaded in another TRUCK and taken to the store. Unless you walk to the store, you DRIVE to the store and buy them.

Now your six pack is $8.00. Enjoy.

spurster
08-17-2005, 08:37 AM
Although biased, this provides a little history of fuel economy standards.

http://www.nader.org/interest/041104.html

Basically, there has been little change in requirements since the 1980s, which were standards enacted in 1975.

SWC Bonfire
08-17-2005, 09:42 AM
on the bright side, this is Great news for my local moonshining/wine-making business!

Not if you have to burn a bunch of gas to outrun the revenuers.:lol

Clandestino
08-17-2005, 09:45 AM
high gas will make everything go up... why does manny hate the poor and wish this upon them???

SWC Bonfire
08-17-2005, 09:48 AM
high gas will make everything go up... why does manny hate the poor and wish this upon them???

Dude, give it up. I met Manny the other day and he's a nice guy.

Clandestino
08-17-2005, 09:54 AM
Dude, give it up. I met Manny the other day and he's a nice guy.

i don't give a fuck if you sucked his cock the other day... when he say's shit like he is happy gas prices are rising and wants them to go to 5 a gallon.. who will be hurt by that? the rich or the poor?

SWC Bonfire
08-17-2005, 10:00 AM
SWC Bonfire: Hey, do y'all remember the time Clandestino made an ass of himself?

Everyone Else: Which time are you talking about?

MannyIsGod
08-17-2005, 10:01 AM
In the short run? It hurts everyone. In the long run? It helps everybody. If you want to take a spinster look at it - haha, if? - then you can twist it around and say it hurts the poor more than anyone else. But the fact of the matter is that an equal raise in prices hurts everyone across the board.

There are alternatives to driving everywhere. And while that does not mean every situation with gas involves driving, the fact is that there are alternatives.

I am looking past tomorrow, something you are unable to do.

So, spin away, but yes, I fucking LOVE seeing gas prices go up.

SWC Bonfire
08-17-2005, 10:07 AM
Well, I know that inflation is soon to follow. If you need to buy a house and can get a low-interest loan, do it now! It's better to owe money (on items that appreciate in value, not a car!) when inflation hits if you can spare the extra $$ for the increased price of consumer items after payments.

MannyIsGod
08-17-2005, 10:07 AM
Driving a car is not a right. I don't care what rich people do and what they laugh at me at. If some fucker chooses to drive by in an H2 while I'm at a bus stop and laugh at me I hope they get a good chuckle, because I couldn't care less.

I do however, care about the world my kids will come into and it not being a piece of shit environmentaly.

MannyIsGod
08-17-2005, 10:09 AM
Inflation will no doubt follow. High oil prices are going to hurt an oil dependent economy. But what the American people have sown, they shall reap. The technology has been in place for quite some time to develop alternative energies, and we haven't done it because of a lack of motivation. Well, now you pay the price, literally.

SWC Bonfire
08-17-2005, 10:16 AM
Inflation will no doubt follow. High oil prices are going to hurt an oil dependent economy. But what the American people have sown, they shall reap. The technology has been in place for quite some time to develop alternative energies, and we haven't done it because of a lack of motivation. Well, now you pay the price, literally.

I believe that is called "cutting your nose off to spite your face".

A lot of alternative energies aren't pursued because they just aren't very attractive from a economic, distribution, and reliability standpoint.

MannyIsGod
08-17-2005, 10:32 AM
I believe that is called "cutting your nose off to spite your face".

A lot of alternative energies aren't pursued because they just aren't very attractive from a economic, distribution, and reliability standpoint.
How is wanting gas prices to go up and force a move to alternative energy spiting my face? I would say it is more like no pain no gain in the gym. You have to feel the burn if you want to get stronger.

SWC Bonfire
08-17-2005, 10:42 AM
The problem is that hydrocarbon-based fuels are vastly superior to anything else, period. Our whole system is dedicated to them. Improvement/supplementation of hydrocarbon technology is the way to go, but getting rid of fossil fuels is not really an option. Anyone who says that they can be isn't being realistic.

MannyIsGod
08-17-2005, 10:45 AM
Limiting our use by maximizing other energies is an option. I'm not saying we can stop using them overnight, but we can develop more ways to lower their use.

Fuel efficent vehicles are number one.

Solar cells to make buldings indepently operational are another.

More wind power is another. So much land out in West Texas.

Trust me, when this starts hurting the average American's pocketbook, there will be changes.

whottt
08-17-2005, 12:03 PM
It will be good for environmental causes and weaning ourselves off of mid-east oil...it will speed up the search for alternative energy sources...it will encourage more people to walk to the convenience store(and workd some of those cheeseburgers off).

Go buy a bike.

samikeyp
08-17-2005, 12:12 PM
Trust me, when this starts hurting the average American's pocketbook, there will be changes.

It already has...but all I hear is bitching but no action.

i don't give a fuck if you sucked his cock the other day... when he say's shit like he is happy gas prices are rising and wants them to go to 5 a gallon.. who will be hurt by that? the rich or the poor?

what do you care? you hate Manny, Mexicans, and the poor.

Clandestino
08-17-2005, 12:20 PM
It already has...but all I hear is bitching but no action.

what do you care? you hate Manny, Mexicans, and the poor.

i am mexican, pendejo...

samikeyp
08-17-2005, 12:28 PM
and yet you have still shown hate for them,...or is it just the poor ones you hate....or is it just Manny?

samikeyp
08-17-2005, 12:34 PM
Limiting our use by maximizing other energies is an option. I'm not saying we can stop using them overnight, but we can develop more ways to lower their use.

More wind power is another. So much land out in West Texas

Well said. While I agree that the money spent on the operation in Iraq could be put to better use...we can't just sit back and say "well...its all the government's fault" while we are filling up our SUV's.

Clandestino
08-17-2005, 12:40 PM
and yet you have still shown hate for them,...or is it just the poor ones you hate....or is it just Manny?

don't hate anyone... just hate it when people make excuses for being poor

samikeyp
08-17-2005, 12:42 PM
well on that we agree but I don't think Manny falls in that category. So the guy rides a bike...its not a bad thing.

ChumpDumper
08-17-2005, 12:54 PM
My car was garaged for almost a year when I was in California -- simply didn't need to drive. Some places are much better for bike commutes than others. I have moved and my office is moving so there's a good chance I'll start doing it here too. The gas savings won't be huge since it's not a great distance, but that, the fitness and cathartic aspects make it a nice option.

MannyIsGod
08-17-2005, 01:02 PM
Actually, my bike was stolen so it is either drive or bus it untill I can decide what kind to pick up next. I actually feel sorry for whoever stole it, it was on it's last legs. But they did get my comfy seat, assholes.

MannyIsGod
08-17-2005, 01:03 PM
San Antonio is pretty bike unfriendly, but there are parts of town that are better than others. The city is also making a pretty good effort to include bike lanes in most of its new construction which is great.

A combo of biking/Via is actually a pretty sweet way to get around and burn calories at the same time.

spurster
08-17-2005, 01:05 PM
Much of the problem is that poor urban planning is going to lead to a big problem. Most growing cities (especially Texas cities) are sprawled all over the place with disconnected neighborhoods and no alternatives but driving by yourself in a car.

Spurminator
08-17-2005, 01:29 PM
Thing is, in Texas, we drive to lunch if it's more than 6 blocks away.

SpursWoman
08-17-2005, 02:17 PM
Thing is, in Texas, we drive to lunch if it's more than 6 blocks away.

I'd walk, but I only have an hour. Unless I just want to get some chips at the Exxon, that's the only thing close. Well that, and the fact that it's 400 degrees outside. :lol

I'm very glad I don't have to commute to New Braunfels everyday anymore, I work only 5 miles from home now. Unfortunately, even if I wanted to Via isn't an option....my kids have to be picked up from daycare by 6:30 or it's $2/minute for every minute I'm late, and since I can't always leave at 5 on the dot, I just don't have the extra time to spare. And I sure as hell couldn't haul them around on the handlebars of a bike. :wow :lol

I have no choice, really, but I have been trying to stay out of my car as much as possible.

Shelly
08-17-2005, 03:44 PM
I don't and will not own a car in the forseable future. Forget about gas prices, it costs me $500 a month to park a car in this fucking island!

You're in NYC, right?

I swear, the best business to have there would be to own a parking garage!

Spurminator
08-17-2005, 03:48 PM
Man I'd sit at home and do nothing if I had a lot in Dallas, much less New York...

Guru of Nothing
08-17-2005, 04:08 PM
And I sure as hell couldn't haul them around on the handlebars of a bike. :wow :lol

Allow me to suggest:

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~tandem/images/p581.jpg

For when it's just you and user, I'd recommend this little baby:

http://www.bilenky.com/images/P1040007.JPG

Guru of Nothing
08-17-2005, 04:29 PM
I'm partial to this one myself.

http://www.visit4info.com/sitecontent/LG/fullZZZZZZTVCXX0209152439PIC.jpg

Guru of Nothing
08-17-2005, 04:32 PM
Maybe one day you will see these all over Loop 410, but for now, WTF!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/news/feb05/germany-cycling-tandem-61.jpg

Dos
08-17-2005, 04:52 PM
yeah I wonder how many people could live without air conditioning here, I wonder how many more heat related deaths will occur to the elderly who can't afford higher energy prices... gasoline goes up.. everything goes up.. and poor will suffer more, take a deep breath and image a world without your car.... thats scarey enough for me, since I commute more 50 miles a day to work..

Hook Dem
08-17-2005, 07:11 PM
Actually, my bike was stolen so it is either drive or bus it untill I can decide what kind to pick up next. I actually feel sorry for whoever stole it, it was on it's last legs. But they did get my comfy seat, assholes.
:lol :lol :lol I'll give you this Manny....you do tend to look on the bright side. Hope you find a new bike.

Hook Dem
08-17-2005, 07:13 PM

More wind power is another. So much land out in West Texas.

Me thinks you are right!

Hook Dem
08-17-2005, 07:18 PM
I'll bet, if you check, the price of bicycles has already gone up and will continue to do so. We all sit here and cut each other up but that isn't going to get the problem solved.

Dos
08-17-2005, 10:05 PM
there is no energy source that can take the place of oil in this economy within 5-8 years, people should really think about our dependence on oil and how it would effect our economy should oil continue to climb higher...

Extra Stout
08-18-2005, 09:13 AM
I'll bet, if you check, the price of bicycles has already gone up and will continue to do so. We all sit here and cut each other up but that isn't going to get the problem solved.:lol That statement about bike prices has no basis in reality. I'll call you when I see a swarm of disgruntled commuters pouring into Bike Barn. :idiot

Hook Dem
08-18-2005, 09:23 AM
:lol That statement about bike prices has no basis in reality. I'll call you when I see a swarm of disgruntled commuters pouring into Bike Barn. :idiot
Stay tuned! It's still early. Thanks for the idiot sign. Thats the norm on this forum.

08-18-2005, 09:30 AM
Did anyone see the "documentary" that (I think) FX Network ran a while back called Oil Storm? Things these days are eeringly parallel.

samikeyp
08-18-2005, 09:32 AM
I did....you are right.

Extra Stout
08-18-2005, 09:35 AM
I don't feel sorry for American consumers. Look, I am one. The higher prices suck. For me, the only short-term solution is to cut out unnecessary trips. The medium-term solution is to buy a more fuel-efficient vehicle next time. The long-term solution is to move closer to work.

There's not going to be some magic solution that saves us all and lets us live in the carefree 1990's forever.

Hey, us conservatives especially have nothing to bitch about. Our argument always has been to let the market sort these things out itself. That means once something becomes scarce and the price spikes, we let the entrepreneurs innovate alternative solutions once they become economical. Once those other technologies start to mature into commodities, the price levels off again.

Liberals have said for years that we needed to start using alternative technologies ahead of time even though they were more expensive, because once the wall hit, it would hit hard. We said, no, that's less efficient; we should take advantage of the cheap energy as long as it lasted, and implement other solutions once they paid for themselves.

We believe in free markets; we believe that the short-term pain is worth it once we get the long-term benefits, and we believe this way works better than letting the government manage the economy for us. Right now is the hard part to get through.

We aren't entitled to our huge vehicles that let us put each child six feet away from one another so they don't fight and have individual DVD screens to keep them placid. Our grandparents got by without them, and everybody else in the world gets by without them. We'll get by without them, too. If you still want the convenience and luxury of those things, you'll have to pay for them.

It may be that some other "conservatives" (read: idiot white trash redneck Southern "Christians") lived in some dream world where gas would be cheap forever and Jesus promised that the righteous all would drive Tahoes and Expeditions to raise their kids the Christian way, or that the Rapture would come become we ran out of oil or whatever. Perhaps you figured that since the world was created in six literal days and that evolution is a Satanic lie, that this whole talk of petroleum, gas, and coal coming from dead animals is a Satanic liberal lie too, and that oil really is just an endless gift from God like manna. Well, I don't feel sorry for you either. Forget your fuel consumption; I'm indigant that a brain as feeble as yours is using up valuable oxygen.

MannyIsGod
08-18-2005, 01:34 PM
:lol Great post.

gameFACE
08-18-2005, 10:10 PM
I'm not a propogandist but I saw this documentary at work a few weeks ago called The End of Suburbia that might be of interest:

http://www.endofsuburbia.com/

It's a bit sensationalist but it touches on alot of what has been written in this thread.

Funny post, Extra Stout. :lol