PDA

View Full Version : Re-signing Glenn Robinson

Marcus Bryant
08-16-2005, 11:44 PM
He has certainly not drawn the interest in free agency thusfar that was expected in this forum. The one thing the Spurs have going for them in potentially retaining his services for the 2005-06 season is that he already has one season of tenure with the Spurs. If he plays one more season with them then they will have his Early Bird rights. The Spurs could sign him to a 2 year deal starting at the LLE with a player (and/or team option) I believe. This is something I have posted about a couple of weeks ago. From the Spurs' perspective, they'd get a nice role player and a legit small forward for the bench at a nice price. From Robinson's perspective, he'd have a full season to prove himself to the league and then be able to get paid next summer by the Spurs or another franchise. Again, maybe a NBA front office will get desperate and will throw some $ at him in the next week or so.

The Spurs could sign him for the LLE and then use the remainder of the MLE to sign away a younger restricted free agent like a Maurice Evans or a James Jones.

The Spurs do seem to have a number of options to fill the remaining two open spots on the active roster for next season. But they could very well miss out on a lot of free agents they are targeting. Glenn Robinson seems like a nice short-term fit in SA...

Walton Buys Off Me
08-17-2005, 12:06 AM
Since Buford has been his usual summer sap, resigning Big Dog should now be priority number one for San Antonio. We're almost September and we still have no backup for Bowen.

Please tell me that all we're getting out of this offseason is not some summer league scrub/reject that we don't have to pay much to........

Marcus Bryant
08-17-2005, 12:10 AM
Please tell me that all we're getting out of this offseason is not some summer league scrub/reject that we don't have to pay much to........

We're the Spurs.™

:cooldevil

T Park
08-17-2005, 02:07 AM
Please tell me that all we're getting out of this offseason is not some summer league scrub/reject that we don't have to pay much to

Typical Scrub fan thinking the SPurs have to sign a fucking superstar in every offseason.

Hilarious...

Since Buford has been his usual summer sap

Yeah that Buford guy, what a moron.

God your such a fucking clown.

spurster
08-17-2005, 07:56 AM
It's Buford's fault that the amnesty clause has stalled NBA signings. We will see a lot more action once these players have cleared waivers.

2centsworth
08-17-2005, 10:54 AM
G-Rob is last on the list. Spurs don't need veteran leadership off the bench any more since their starters provide enough vet. leadership. Spurs need to have some young talented players on the bench for the sake of the future of the franchise. Thus, James Jones, Melvin Sanders, Maurice Evans, Demarr Johnson, and Devin Brown ( in no particular order) are ahead of G-Rob. If 4 out of 5 of those guys fall through which is very conceivable then I expect G-Rob to get an offer from the spurs probably for the LLE.

Vashner
08-17-2005, 10:56 AM
RC Helped deliver the trophy... I don't think complaining about his is right at this time. We are the Champions... act like it please when you refer to people like RC and Malik. Show some Champion class.

Marcus Bryant
08-17-2005, 10:58 AM
With the Big 3 all under 30 and with the Spurs holding the rights to 5 Euros age 25 and under, youth is not a concern at the moment.

Marcus Bryant
08-17-2005, 11:09 AM
In addition, it's not like GRobinson is 36 or 37. He's 32 and he's had a lot of rest over the last couple of seasons. He's a much better option over the next couple of seasons than someone who's yet to establish himself in the league.

wildbill2u
08-17-2005, 11:24 AM
After all the gushing props about GROB on this site after the season was over, I'm amazed that he wasn't signed immediately by some club as a starter.

Perhaps clubs are wary about a starting contract or even a mid-range contract for a vet at his age who has only played a very few minutes over the past two years. Remember he didn't exactly move anyone out of their slotted minutes in his brief stay here.

I have no problem with signing him if we get him cheap. But for every year he plays to prove himself, there is one less year left in the rapidly diminishing span of useful years of his career.

Marcus Bryant
08-17-2005, 11:32 AM
After all the gushing props about GROB on this site after the season was over, I'm amazed that he wasn't signed immediately by some club as a starter.

Perhaps clubs are wary about a starting contract or even a mid-range contract for a vet at his age who has only played a very few minutes over the past two years. Remember he didn't exactly move anyone out of their slotted minutes in his brief stay here.

I have no problem with signing him if we get him cheap. But for every year he plays to prove himself, there is one less year left in the rapidly diminishing span of useful years of his career.

Well, that's the other reason he would be a good signing. He will come fairly cheap for his talent level, due to the aforementioned lack of playing time over the last 2 seasons. Also, whatever transpired in Philly seems to have hurt his rep.

All the more better for the Spurs. A healthy, in-shape 32 year old Glenn Robinson is worth about $25 mil over 4 years in this league.

2centsworth
08-17-2005, 11:44 AM
With the Big 3 all under 30 and with the Spurs holding the rights to 5 Euros age 25 and under, youth is not a concern at the moment.
A little misleading. The youth concern is for developing players to be ready 3 to 4 years from now at which time the Big 3 will all be over 30. Also out of the 5 Euros maybe 3 and probably only 1 or 2 will actually make it.

I still like G-Rob though, but he brings a lot of baggage which forces teams to explore all of their options before considering offering anything to him.

Marcus Bryant
08-17-2005, 11:53 AM
3 to 4 years is a long time. Also, guys like Mohammed, Brown, Nesterovic, and Udrih are all under 30 as well. The Spurs aren't really that old of a team right now. They have plenty of long-term prospects 25 years old and under too. This is not to say that picking up a James Jones, DerMarr Johnson, or Rodney White would be a bad acquisition, but that bringing back a GRobinson is not really going to screw up the Spurs' long term.

Sure, it would be great to have more young prospects, but at some point you have to put competitiveness over the next 2 to 3 seasons above having a great store of young players 3 seasons from now.

z0sa
08-17-2005, 11:57 AM
parker will be over 30 in 3-4 years?

Marcus Bryant
08-17-2005, 12:00 PM

Yeah, exactly.

boutons
08-17-2005, 12:00 PM
At his level in the rotation, whether he comes back or not is really insignificant. There are others who could also contribute marginally.

Ideally, he would come back, be affordable, and work his butt off to learn how to play effectively off the bench, "a professional ready to be called", for the few minutes he will get, plus whatever additional PT he wil get when higher-rotation players are hurt or being rested.

Gummi
08-17-2005, 12:06 PM
Like off-seasons in the past, I trust the Spurs front office 100%. They've re-signed Horry and then they got Oberto. Both were great signings. By signing them we have the front court set for next season. Now I want them to focus on the swing position and re-sign both Devin and Glenn.

I think that Glenn will be a tremendous asset for the Spurs this comming season if re-signed. He has instant offense and solid size for a SF. If he's willing to sign for around $2 million, I can't see why Pop and R.C. wouldn't do that. He's said that he wants to return to the Spurs for the right prize. We need to finalize these deals with Devin and Glenn IMO as soon as possible.

2centsworth
08-17-2005, 12:21 PM
should of said 2 of the 3.

I like G-Rob but he's not worth as much as you think, even when healthy. He has way too much to prove, and the stunt he pulled in seattle with Rashad Lewis did nothing to convince the spurs that he won't be a problem in the future.

Too Risky for any real committment.

T Park
08-17-2005, 12:31 PM
Too Risky for any real committment.

Yeah he was a real problem child.

Meanwhile it was his dunk that helped spark the team and win game 1.

But keep dumping on the guy, hes only a former All Star who can still fill it up.

Robinson in Spurs camp from the beginning??? that would be scary.

2centsworth
08-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Yeah he was a real problem child.

Meanwhile it was his dunk that helped spark the team and win game 1.

But keep dumping on the guy, hes only a former All Star who can still fill it up.

Robinson in Spurs camp from the beginning??? that would be scary.
Nobody is dumping on the guy, I'm just stating fact.

BTW, Horry's steal that led to a wide open dunken was the turning point.

kskonn
08-17-2005, 02:49 PM
RC Helped deliver the trophy... I don't think complaining about his is right at this time. We are the Champions... act like it please when you refer to people like RC and Malik. Show some Champion class.

where did Malik come into this discussion?

Marcus Bryant
08-17-2005, 02:55 PM
I'd rather have a Glenn Robinson on that bench instead of a James Jones come the postseason next year.

Where's the risk? You sign him for a short term small money contract to be your 5th swing.

2centsworth
08-17-2005, 06:28 PM
I'd rather have a Glenn Robinson on that bench instead of a James Jones come the postseason next year.

Where's the risk? You sign him for a short term small money contract to be your 5th swing.

infect the locker room with a bad attitude and lose out on someone who in the future turns into a bruce bowen type for another team.

Marcus Bryant
08-17-2005, 06:41 PM
He has a "bad attitude"?

Who exactly is the 'future Bruce Bowen type' they would be losing out on?

Mark in Austin
08-17-2005, 06:44 PM
It is safe to assume that any infection will be promptly eliminated in the Spurs locker room. See Mercer, Ron. If the Spurs will waive a 5 million dollar player, they will not hesitate to waive Glenn Robinson if things go south.

2centsworth
08-17-2005, 06:48 PM
He has a "bad attitude"?absolutely his reputation. 3 months on the spurs doesn't change that but is a step in the right direction.

Who exactly is the 'future Bruce Bowen type' they would be losing out on? any of the guys they're pursuing.

maybe all the gm's in the league are wrong about g-rob and his value isn't $1mil per year and last one to sign. However, I agree with his current market price.

Guru of Nothing
08-17-2005, 06:58 PM
Something I have not seen discussed in Glenn Robinson threads is that regular season funk that pops up in unexpected places where the Spurs just can't get untracked on the offensive end of the floor. I think the Big Dog is the perfect antidote for these maladies, and it's not unreasonable that he can add 3 or 4 games to the win column - which would be huge if you value home court advantage come playoff time.

ETA: I don't think a DeMarr Johnson will increase the Spurs win total this next season.

Marcus Bryant
08-17-2005, 07:03 PM
any of the guys they're pursuing.

The Spurs are playing for championships today, not tomorrow.

maybe all the gm's in the league are wrong about g-rob and his value isn't $1mil per year and last one to sign. However, I agree with his current market price.

...and the league has never made any mistakes before. The best opportunities come when others are wrong or are not paying attention.

2centsworth
08-17-2005, 08:01 PM
The Spurs are playing for championships today, not tomorrow.
seems like they've today taken care of, .04* away from 3-peat champion.

...and the league has never made any mistakes before. The best opportunities come when others are wrong or are not paying attention.
With great rewards comes great risk.

nevertheless, I want the spurs to sign g-rob but for not over pay.

Guru,

You make a very good point.

Guru of Nothing
08-17-2005, 08:30 PM
I want the spurs to sign g-rob but for not over pay.

Given the current salary cap status, I don't think it's possible for the Spurs to overpay for Big Dog.

It still perplexes me that Cleveland did not make a charge at GRob. I thought he would have been a perfect fit there.

exstatic
08-17-2005, 08:44 PM
You don't turn down a two time All Star for vet minimum or LLE. You just don't.

Marcus Bryant
08-17-2005, 10:47 PM
Glenn Robinson could be a significant role player for the next 3 to 4 seasons. At 15 minutes a night, he could last that long without much of a dropoff in performance. He definitely has great bball instincts and that jumper of his sure would be nice for TD down low.

Mr. Body
08-17-2005, 11:52 PM
I have to think the only thing keeping the Spurs from resigning him (if they don't) is a concern about character issues still.

Dalamar_the_Dark
08-18-2005, 12:18 AM
I have to think the only thing keeping the Spurs from resigning him (if they don't) is a concern about character issues still.

I dont think its about the character issues. I think the Spurs are looking at what people offer for Devin. If its some insane amount, they wont match and go for GRob or someone else like maybe Mckie. If Devin's offer is reasonable, they may match. So I think they are waiting till he gets an offer then have 7 days to work something else or match.