PDA

View Full Version : Mavs: Dirk Nowitzki: 'We'd love to have' Carmelo Anthony in Dallas

Chris
06-16-2014, 06:39 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/southwest/story/dirk-nowitzki-we-d-love-to-have-carmelo-anthony-in-dallas-061414

The Dallas Mavericks can create $31 million of cap space come July 1, and already committed to being a "get'' in Summer Shopping is Dirk Nowitzki.

But he needs a superstar running mate and an heir. And he's endorsing the idea of Carmelo Anthony being that guy.

"If Carmelo would really love to come here,'' Dirk says, "we'd love to have him.''

Nowitzki, speaking to "Ben & Skin'' on 105.3 The Fan, obviously has some awareness of reports that 'Melo might opt-out of his deal with the Knicks to explore free agency, and that Dallas might be on his wishlist. (The longshot nature of all this is detailed here. Andthe nuts and bolts of how Anthony could instead join LeBron in Miami is broken down here.)

But Dirk clearly has no doubts about a Nowitzki/Anthony "fit.''

"Listen, I think I'e showed over my 16 years that I can play with anybody,'' The UberMan says. "The only tough season I think we've had is when we had (Antawn) Jamison and Antoine Walker and myself who are all three kind of the same 4-men, but other than that I think I've shown over my career that I can play with anybody. I'll adjust, whether I have to get out of the way or go to the corner more, post up, pass — I'll do whatever, really, that needs to be done out there to win or for this franchise to be a winner.''

That "do-anything'' approach includes taking a massive hometown discount when Nowitzki re-ups with the Mavs. The Mavs have the cap-space issue solved; it's the closing of deals with superstars that hasn't happened yet.

"Cap space, obviously, hasn't treated us nicely since the lockout year when we decided to go for cap space and didn't really get the guys that we wanted,'' Dirk says. "But that's the risk you take if you have cap space. The free agent might decide to go elsewhere and that's what happened so far. But we're going to keep getting after it.

"There's a lot of money free under the cap. Donnie (Nelson) and Mark (Cuban) are always trying to make this organization better and we had a better year this year than we did the year before. I think playoffs were big again and we competed and it was great. But we want to get better so we'll just have to wait and see what happens this summer."

And if it's not Carmelo Anthony?

"Then,'' Dirk says, "we're looking at some other options to make this franchise better and be a winner and be in the playoffs every year again. So whoever comes, whoever does decide to play with us, we're more excited to have them."

JohnnyMax
06-16-2014, 06:50 PM
Dirk does not attract free agents. The best player hes gotten is Monta Ellis.

Franklin
06-16-2014, 07:27 PM
Dirk doesn't attract FAs but money does, and we can certainly offer him more than any team would barring NY. If he wants to leave NY then Dallas wouldn't be a bad choice for him, especially after the recent collapse of the Heat. Mavs were clearly the 2nd best team in the playoffs this year and it's easy to fathom that we would be a title contender with another big name (like Melo) accompanying Dirk. We MF'N stacked, tbh.

Thread
06-16-2014, 08:12 PM
He's a loser. Why Dirk would want to associate with him is beyond me. Go back to the template you struck in your ring year. It's akin to what the Spurs have done and are doing. I ain't even a Mav's fan and it sickens me to consider what they lost there. That's a dirty fuckin' shame.

IrisHockey
06-16-2014, 08:16 PM
He's a loser. Why Dirk would want to associate with him is beyond me. Go back to the template you struck in your ring year. It's akin to what the Spurs have done and are doing. I ain't even a Mav's fan and it sickens me to consider what they lost there. That's a dirty fuckin' shame.

Dirk kicked those losers Nash and Finley out now he wants their heirs Deron and Melo..

mavsfan1000
06-16-2014, 08:40 PM
The Mavs need a defensive big man first. Preferably a shotblocker. A goalie type center.

spurraider21
06-16-2014, 08:56 PM
The Mavs need a defensive big man first. Preferably a shotblocker. A goalie type center.
they could have just kept tyson chandler

Jacob1983
06-16-2014, 09:00 PM
Why the fuck not? Dirk probably has 2 or 3 years left until he stops giving a shit and quits. Why not try to make one more run while he still has a lot in the tank left?

Ricky Davis
06-16-2014, 09:06 PM

sons, we have everything we need right here

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/DeJuan+Blair+San+Antonio+Spurs+v+Dallas+Mavericks+ cV1c5IMnuQ8l.jpg

mavsfan1000
06-16-2014, 10:20 PM
sons, we have everything we need right here

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/DeJuan+Blair+San+Antonio+Spurs+v+Dallas+Mavericks+ cV1c5IMnuQ8l.jpg
An undersized center that is pretty good when inspired. But still not the goalie type center. Chandler and Diop in 06 was the closest to that. A young and inspired big man is hard to come by I know. But he is the ideal big man to play along Dirk. And Dirk would like some of that not having to play more than 30 minutes like what the Spurs did this season. A nice backup for Dirk like Diaw would be awesome.

Thread
06-16-2014, 10:22 PM
Why the fuck not? Dirk probably has 2 or 3 years left until he stops giving a shit and quits. Why not try to make one more run while he still has a lot in the tank left?

Because Melo ain't the bridge to it. Christ, use your fucking head, man.

Dick Jones
06-16-2014, 10:31 PM
they could have just kept tyson chandler
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

IrisHockey
06-16-2014, 10:32 PM
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

lol

Dick Jones
06-16-2014, 10:33 PM
Dirk stopped giving a fuck 5 minutes after ringing in 2011.

Does he want to win another title? Sure. Does he feel like he needs to? No.

TDMVPDPOY
06-17-2014, 12:53 AM
begging

Jacob1983
06-17-2014, 01:23 AM
Dirk's stats this year were pretty good for a guy that hasn't given a fuck since 2011. 22 points a game is pretty good. And wasn't he a 50/40/90 guy this year?

Sean Cagney
06-17-2014, 01:24 AM
Dirk kicked those losers Nash and Finley out now he wants their heirs Deron and Melo..

And Finley went on to win a title a year or so later with a team who is associated with WINNERS! Ironic. I agree on Deron and Melo too though, no doubt you are dead on.

Sean Cagney
06-17-2014, 01:25 AM
Dirk's stats this year were pretty good for a guy that hasn't given a fuck since 2011. 22 points a game is pretty good. And wasn't he a 50/40/90 guy this year?

No doubt Dirk still has it! Wade got 19 PPG and 54% shooting though this year and he looked done in the finals when it came down to it, rest and all. Dirk still has some left though in that tank, no doubt at all there.
Dirk stopped giving a fuck 5 minutes after ringing in 2011.

Does he want to win another title? Sure. Does he feel like he needs to? No.

Thats the difference between DIRK and say a Kobe or Tim etc. They want more and more and more rings. Dirk and them got their ring they wanted so badly and the drive somewhat stopped there from the owner on down! Not all his fault as the owner blew up the team that got them the title but the star should have some say in who is signed etc. and step up and tell the organization look you are doing this or that.

Spurs da champs
06-17-2014, 01:27 AM
No doubt Dirk still has it! Wade got 19 PPG and 54% shooting though this year and he looked done in the finals when it came down to it, rest and all. Dirk still has some left though in that tank, no doubt at all there.
Dirk looked done in these playoffs, Tiago made Dirk his bitch.

Sean Cagney
06-17-2014, 01:29 AM
Dirk looked done in these playoffs, Tiago made Dirk his bitch.

He might very well be done.... He had a good season though but in the playoffs he did not look like Dirk of old. I compare that to Wade in these finals, rest and all did not have it later.

Jacob1983
06-17-2014, 01:31 AM
And yet it took your Spurs 7 games to eliminate the Mavs and a "done" Dirk.

Spurs da champs
06-17-2014, 01:37 AM
Spurs were too lax, your Mavs got demolished when the Spurs took them seriously.

TDMVPDPOY
06-17-2014, 01:57 AM

lol 1 week break anyone will play like shit

what u on about clown? if ur team was so great why didnt it beat the spurs?

playing the what if game is pathetic and weak, just like t hose rocketfaggots who claim they wouldve put up a better fight against the spurs then the blazers, yet cant even beat the blazers....there should be no talk of what couldve been scenarios, save that shit for the lottery

Baam
06-17-2014, 02:31 AM
They were already an elite offense this season, could make them scary... But I dont see Melo teaming up with Dirk given the options on the table...

dg7md
06-17-2014, 02:46 AM
They were already an elite offense this season, could make them scary... But I dont see Melo teaming up with Dirk given the options on the table...

Not sure about "elite", but they have a decent core, but it's aging pretty substantially. They gave us hell because they fought for their lives for 2 months for a playoff spot while we coasted through a lot of the late regular season.

Melo to Dallas would be all right on paper, but I have no doubt he'll have fits with Dirk and likely be the cancer he is for a pretty well-run Mavericks organization. :lol

I have no idea why any team wants this guy, he quits on his team and publicly complains about everything because all he cares about is a scoring title. :lol

The Mavs dodged a bullet by not getting Dwight Howard tbh... he would have killed that team that fought so hard at the end.

TDMVPDPOY
06-17-2014, 02:47 AM
u dont give up 30m on th etable of a max contract to what mavs can offer,

why would he come out to the west after experiencing it, his better off on t h ebulls b4 someone beats him to the dotted lline on that bulls vacant spot

snickles
06-17-2014, 08:51 AM
how is this not tampering?

http://msn.foxsports.com/southwest/story/dirk-nowitzki-we-d-love-to-have-carmelo-anthony-in-dallas-061414

The Dallas Mavericks can create $31 million of cap space come July 1, and already committed to being a "get'' in Summer Shopping is Dirk Nowitzki.

But he needs a superstar running mate and an heir. And he's endorsing the idea of Carmelo Anthony being that guy.

"If Carmelo would really love to come here,'' Dirk says, "we'd love to have him.''

Nowitzki, speaking to "Ben & Skin'' on 105.3 The Fan, obviously has some awareness of reports that 'Melo might opt-out of his deal with the Knicks to explore free agency, and that Dallas might be on his wishlist. (The longshot nature of all this is detailed here. Andthe nuts and bolts of how Anthony could instead join LeBron in Miami is broken down here.)

But Dirk clearly has no doubts about a Nowitzki/Anthony "fit.''

"Listen, I think I'e showed over my 16 years that I can play with anybody,'' The UberMan says. "The only tough season I think we've had is when we had (Antawn) Jamison and Antoine Walker and myself who are all three kind of the same 4-men, but other than that I think I've shown over my career that I can play with anybody. I'll adjust, whether I have to get out of the way or go to the corner more, post up, pass — I'll do whatever, really, that needs to be done out there to win or for this franchise to be a winner.''

That "do-anything'' approach includes taking a massive hometown discount when Nowitzki re-ups with the Mavs. The Mavs have the cap-space issue solved; it's the closing of deals with superstars that hasn't happened yet.

"Cap space, obviously, hasn't treated us nicely since the lockout year when we decided to go for cap space and didn't really get the guys that we wanted,'' Dirk says. "But that's the risk you take if you have cap space. The free agent might decide to go elsewhere and that's what happened so far. But we're going to keep getting after it.

"There's a lot of money free under the cap. Donnie (Nelson) and Mark (Cuban) are always trying to make this organization better and we had a better year this year than we did the year before. I think playoffs were big again and we competed and it was great. But we want to get better so we'll just have to wait and see what happens this summer."

And if it's not Carmelo Anthony?

"Then,'' Dirk says, "we're looking at some other options to make this franchise better and be a winner and be in the playoffs every year again. So whoever comes, whoever does decide to play with us, we're more excited to have them."

TDMVPDPOY
06-17-2014, 08:57 AM
dirk saying that shit just hurt montes feelings...he thought he was the the superstar

sook
06-17-2014, 08:58 AM

I'm with ya' on this one. Hope the rockets stay clear of him tbh.

FkLA
06-17-2014, 09:02 AM
Dirks knees are done. His defense in the 1st round mightve been the worst I have ever seen tbh.

Gummi Clutch
06-17-2014, 09:03 AM
Mel:lol

TDMVPDPOY
06-17-2014, 09:08 AM
31m u can do alot with that then investing into 1 player then surrounding him with shit

even if its ayran shit, that shit isnt enough to compost the pure shit ur buying

Texas_Ranger
06-17-2014, 09:34 AM

Dirk was pretty damn good in the regular season, but not in the playoffs. He couldnt hit a 3 even when wide open. And I think only Dragič is in the 50/40 club this year. Dirk was close with 49/39/89.

Raven
06-17-2014, 11:02 AM
i guess that's the best they can do at this point.

Baam
06-17-2014, 11:11 AM
The more I reflect on what they accomplished, the more I admire that Dirk-Carlisle combo...

Beat the Heat and took the Spurs to a game 7 - we're talking about the two greatest team in recent years - without taking a paycut to gain an edge unlike the Heat and the Spurs' big 3s... It's pretty astounding tbh.

Chinook
06-17-2014, 01:08 PM
The more I reflect on what they accomplished, the more I admire that Dirk-Carlisle combo...

Beat the Heat and took the Spurs to a game 7 - we're talking about the two greatest team in recent years - without taking a paycut to gain an edge unlike the Heat and the Spurs' big 3s... It's pretty astounding tbh.

Dirk did take a paycut in 2010.

djohn2oo8
06-17-2014, 01:54 PM
I'm with ya' on this one. Hope the rockets stay clear of him tbh.

Why? I'd take him over Love easy.

sook
06-17-2014, 04:29 PM
Why? I'd take him over Love easy.

Really? I think Love would be a better fit, but both have porous D.

Kool Bob Love
06-17-2014, 04:39 PM

My spurs tho.:lobt2:

djohn2oo8
06-17-2014, 05:20 PM
Really? I think Love would be a better fit, but both have porous D.

Love doesn't seem like winning is high on his priority list, plus he seems like a douche. Could you imagine him in the playoffs quit playing D so he can get the rebounds? I'd take Melo because he'd at least make other PFs work on defense too. Stretch the floor, they need another creator on offense, not a 45% chucking big man.

Clipper Nation
06-17-2014, 05:25 PM
Love doesn't seem like winning is high on his priority list, plus he seems like a douche. Could you imagine him in the playoffs quit playing D so he can get the rebounds? I'd take Melo because he'd at least make other PFs work on defense too. Stretch the floor, they need another creator on offense, not a 45% chucking big man.
You "don't want a chucker" but you want Fatmelo? :lol

djohn2oo8
06-17-2014, 05:39 PM
You "don't want a chucker" but you want Fatmelo? :lol

I said I do not want a big man, PF to be exact, who can't at least hit half his shots. Power forwards need to either play defense of play in the post. Love does neither.

Jacob1983
06-18-2014, 02:52 AM
I thought the NBA rounded off averages when it comes to percentages?

FkLA
06-18-2014, 11:31 AM

LeBron straight up choked that year. Lets not act like they took down the Heatles at their best or something.

Also the Spurs wouldve skullfucked Dallas if they were playing at their Finals level in that first round tbh.

Baam
06-18-2014, 11:44 AM
LeBron straight up choked that year. Lets not act like they took down the Heatles at their best or something.

Also the Spurs wouldve skullfucked Dallas if they were playing at their Finals level in that first round tbh.

The defensive scheme made it impossible for the Spurs to play like in the Finals, Manu acknowledged that several time in interviews, they made TP and Manu beat them while the Heat did the opposite... You're selling Carlisle short tbh...

spurraider21
06-18-2014, 04:15 PM
we're the only team that has beaten LeBron in the finals twice, and the only team to beat the Heatles without LeBron beating himself mentally

jag
06-18-2014, 04:32 PM

You bet your ass you're a Mavs fan. I saw your shameful behavior during the first round, cheering and carrying on.

Rooting for the team that swept Kobe and Phil out of the playoffs in embarrassing fashion. You're a despicable human being.

Thread
06-18-2014, 05:14 PM
You bet your ass you're a Mavs fan. I saw your shameful behavior during the first round, cheering and carrying on.

Rooting for the team that swept Kobe and Phil out of the playoffs in embarrassing fashion. You're a despicable human being.

How bout "grotesque?"

tee, hee.

Brunodf
06-18-2014, 07:55 PM
Exactly, if Ellis had a good big man supporting him, who knows where that Mavs team couldve gone...

Franklin
06-18-2014, 08:12 PM
the Aryan hero willing to take a significant to make his team better, what a great fucking leader :cry

Jacob1983
06-19-2014, 12:41 AM
Defense does not win anymore. The Spurs shot lights out in this year's Finals. Having Melo,Monta, and Dirk as the top 3 scoring options would be fantastic. Who gives a shit about defense anymore? Big men, centers, and an inside game are basically extinct.

IrisHockey
06-19-2014, 12:58 AM
Defense does not win anymore. The Spurs shot lights out in this year's Finals. Having Melo,Monta, and Dirk as the top 3 scoring options would be fantastic. Who gives a shit about defense anymore? Big men, centers, and an inside game are basically extinct.

Valid point.. we have 3 situational centers which could be enough to mitigate the lack of a true starting big man in today's NBA.. Marion and Vince both coming back on vet min would be incredible, but not likely..

Getting a #1 option like Melo would make Dirk the #2 and Ellis the #3, which is exactly where they should be at this point in their careers, especially the German..

Dirk's problem down the stretch last season was being way too depended on.. Rick was logging him 38 minutes throughout April which fucked him up pretty good by the time the playoffs started..

Say what you will about Melo but he's never missed the playoffs in the tough Western conference despite having played with 1 or 2 decent players and a bunch of scrubs throughout his career..

100%duncan
06-19-2014, 01:10 AM

Danny Green tore Wade a new ass after the finals when just the series before everyone was saying that he's back in shape pre-injuries... Defense and Offense win you 'ships.

Jacob1983
06-19-2014, 01:23 AM
Spurs' offense is what helped them beat the Heat. They shot the highest field percentage in the shot clock era in the Finals.

100%duncan
06-19-2014, 01:29 AM
Spurs' offense is what helped them beat the Heat. They shot the highest field percentage in the shot clock era in the Finals.

I didn't say otherwise. But disregarding their defensive work is not too wise either.

Franklin
06-19-2014, 01:52 AM
Although the significance of big men has been reduced in today's game, I still believe a hardcore defensive big like TC would help us more than any type of player tbh. The impact of big men can be ignored at the offensive end, but never at the other end of the floor because they're often the anchor of rebounding, which is still very important especially to jump shooting teams like us. Birdman and Haslem are no longer the same rebounders they were, which I think is a big part of the reason why the team is declining, tbh.

Jacob1983
06-19-2014, 02:25 AM
The defense was spot on for the Spurs. Superfriends didn't hit the 100 point mark in 5 games this Finals. I was just saying that it was more dominant offense than dominant defense. I mean the Spurs shots especially 3 pointers were just going in. When a team is shooting lights out, there is nothing you can do.

With the Mavs, I think they are more concerned about adding offense to help Dirk instead of trying to get better defensively.