PDA

View Full Version : Is Leonard a Max Player

mavsfan1000
06-16-2014, 07:11 PM
I think his ego has been inflated due to getting the Finals MVP. I wouldn't be surprised if he asks for a max contract. Does he deserve it?

itzsoweezee
06-16-2014, 07:13 PM
I don't know what the max is, but he should be making about $12 - $15 million per year.

I just hope the Spurs can keep Boris and Patty around next year. Spurs aren't repeating if Boris isn't on the team.

Big Empty
06-16-2014, 07:15 PM
good news is we have Kawhi under contract for another year or two before we have to decide that. i see him at the moment 8-12 million player. If we can sign him like we did Parker and Gino early in their careers id be happy

TheGoldStandard
06-16-2014, 07:15 PM
He's worth about 54M so I'd see them doing like they did Tiago and go 12M 1st year and slide up to 15 by the 4th year of his contract.

Andthentherewas21
06-16-2014, 07:23 PM
Nothing screams inflated ego about the way he reacted to getting the FMVP, nor his lifestyle before it. His agent is a different matter, but I doubt Kawhi demands the max or to be paid immediately. That said, the FO might decide to pay him before his rookie contract is up but if they give him the max its because they think he's worth it not because he demanded it. BTW he is now eligible for the Derrick Rose Rule.

siraulo23
06-16-2014, 07:26 PM
not right now

cjw
06-16-2014, 07:26 PM
He's worth about 54M so I'd see them doing like they did Tiago and go 12M 1st year and slide up to 15 by the 4th year of his contract.

Tiago's contract works the other way (descending).

Aztecfan03
06-16-2014, 07:31 PM
I don't know what the max is, but he should be making about $12 - $15 million per year.

I just hope the Spurs can keep Boris and Patty around next year. Spurs aren't repeating if Boris isn't on the team.

Agreed. We could possibly get away without Patty with improvements from CoJo, but we need Boris another big just as good but Boris would be preferred due to versatility.

SpursFan4-Life
06-16-2014, 07:37 PM
Yes, because no "max" players would EVER sign to the spurs as a FA unless they are on their last legs

100%duncan
06-16-2014, 07:45 PM
Not yet. And knowing his attitude, I don't think he'll ask for max when his contract expires after next season.

sook
06-16-2014, 07:52 PM
nope.

thiste
06-16-2014, 07:56 PM
BTW he is now eligible for the Derrick Rose Rule.

Are you sure Finals MVP makes him eligible? I thought it was season MVP.

jARS mEsH sEt
06-16-2014, 07:58 PM
No he's like a $40M/4 year type of guy.

vander
06-16-2014, 08:01 PM
no.

Mel_13
06-16-2014, 08:02 PM
The Spurs are likely to designate him for their 5 year extension and the first year salary will be all or most of the maximum allowed (25% of the salary cap).

He is not eligible for the Derrick Rose Rule (30% of the salary cap).

Mel_13
06-16-2014, 08:04 PM
No he's like a $40M/4 year type of guy.

If he reaches restricted free agency in the summer of 2015, he will command far more than that. Nic Batum got 4/46.

Andthentherewas21
06-16-2014, 08:23 PM
If he reaches restricted free agency in the summer of 2015, he will command far more than that. Nic Batum got 4/46.

Ya my bad, I thought the language designated it as just Most Valuable Player leaving it open for either, but it does specify NBA Most Valuable Player.

Quoted wrong post too

Diego20
06-16-2014, 08:26 PM
32 mil 4 years..

Mel_13
06-16-2014, 08:29 PM
Ya my bad, I thought the language designated it as just Most Valuable Player leaving it open for either, but it does specify NBA Most Valuable Player.

Quoted wrong post too

Yeah, I had to look it up.

spurraider21
06-16-2014, 08:46 PM
he isn't a free agent until the end of next season... they can see if he can play at that level consistently, as needed

SupremeGuy
06-16-2014, 08:47 PM
I hope he continues the culture of taking a little less so the team can continue to compete.

Chinook
06-16-2014, 09:02 PM
Yeah, I had to look it up.

He can still get it by winning MVP next season, as unlikely as that seems now.

TheGreatYacht
06-16-2014, 09:04 PM
If Splitter got 12.5M this season... Kawhi is worth Kobe money tbh. 30M a season

Right, PATFO?

Mel_13
06-16-2014, 09:07 PM
If Splitter got 12.5M this season

1. He didn't.

2. Splitter's salary is irrelevant to Kawhi's market value.

Seventyniner
06-16-2014, 09:13 PM
The Spurs are likely to designate him for their 5 year extension and the first year salary will be all or most of the maximum allowed (25% of the salary cap).

Agreed about the 5-year designation. This is precisely the type of situation it was meant for.

25% of the cap is hefty, though. That will likely be $16-17M by then. If the contract starts at $16.5M, that's $94.875M over 5 years with max raises.

Edit: even starting at $15M that's $86.25M total for 5 years

Mel_13
06-16-2014, 09:20 PM
Agreed about the 5-year designation. This is precisely the type of situation it was meant for.

25% of the cap is hefty, though. That will likely be $16-17M by then. If the contract starts at $16.5M, that's $94.875M over 5 years with max raises.

Edit: even starting at $15M that's $86.25M total for 5 years

I was guessing around 13M per year before the playoffs started, but he's really improved his bargaining position.

I think 5/70 is the absolute minimum that he'll get if they can agree this summer. Wall got 5/80 and George got 5/90.

SpurSwag
06-16-2014, 09:25 PM
Pay the guy whatever he wants as long as we can retain every other free agent (yes even Bonner)

Seventyniner
06-16-2014, 09:35 PM
Actually, if Leonard really thinks that he's going to blossom into a superstar, he'd be better off taking 4 years so that his 3rd contract would start a year sooner. That's when the big bucks start rolling in.

4down
06-16-2014, 10:42 PM
5/54

no wait it'll probably have to be 5/66 at min maybe some player options last two years to be team friendly and reasonable security for KL

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-16-2014, 10:50 PM
60-70/5yrs is what he will command I'd think, and we'll pay it happily. IMHO he is a young Scottie Pippen, a super-elite second guy who does everything on the court but probably shouldn't be relied on as the offensive focal point.

As for the OP's post, what a load of bullshit. WTF do you know about what's in Kawhi's head? He's shown nothing but commitment to the team and humility, so STFU. :ihit

mavsfan1000
06-16-2014, 10:56 PM
Josh Howard was also once a hardworking role player. So he came to mind when thinking of Leonard.

keepinitwill
06-16-2014, 10:57 PM
By the time his current deal is up, yes he will be. I hope we are able to keep him.

CitizenDwayne
06-16-2014, 10:59 PM
Josh Howard was also once a hardworking role player. So he came to mind when thinking of Leonard.

Yep. They seem like totally similar guys.

mavsfan1000
06-16-2014, 11:06 PM
Yep. They seem like totally similar guys.

Josh Howard 2006=Kawhi Leonard 2014. But we know what happened to Josh Howard. He loved weed more than basketball.

mudyez
06-16-2014, 11:16 PM
Basically every team in the league would throw max money at him(if they could), and if it comes down to it, Spurs would and shoult too.

But maybe you can work something out, that gives him less now, but takes care of him for the next 12 years as a Spur.

J.T.
06-16-2014, 11:20 PM
I think his ego getting inflated is a good thing. This isn't the kind of player who is going to win FMVP and expect to be treated like LeBron James, even if he can guard him straight up. He plays in San Antonio. The Spurs don't let your ego sound off. It should give him a lot more confidence after Pop took the leash off and he flourished. He has a lot of potential to be a much better player than he is today, and today he is a Finals MVP. That's insane. You definitely keep building around this guy.

06-16-2014, 11:21 PM
I don't know, he hasn't proven he can operate as a first option yet. Spurs might lock him up for cheaper before they try to find out if he can carry an offense next season.

Spursfanfromafar
06-17-2014, 12:52 AM
Leonard deserves the George extension. But he will also be given advice by the Spurs to take a small pay cut. It will be his prerogative to take it or not. I suspect he will.

Spursfanfromafar
06-17-2014, 12:55 AM
ANd by the way Josh Howard was nowhere close to the defender Kawhi has been in his first three seasons.

Chinook
06-17-2014, 12:58 AM
Leonard deserves the George extension. But he will also be given advice by the Spurs to take a small pay cut. It will be his prerogative to take it or not. I suspect he will.

Thank goodness for the Spurs Kawhi isn't eligible for the George extension.

I don't see why the Spurs should extend him at all. There's no financial upside to doing so. I think they will do so now, however.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-17-2014, 01:13 AM
Parker got a 4yr/50 mil extension after winning a finals MVP. Perspective! I expect Leonard's agent to ask for Paul George money, expect the Spurs to offer him something like 5yrs/60-70 mil now or let him explore the market next summer and eventually match whatever offer he gets. They'll probably settle somewhere in the middle this summer, but the most beneficial for the Spurs would be if they hold on until next summer.

99 Problems
06-17-2014, 04:33 AM
If he seeks an extensions now (early) the Front Office may use the leverage available. "Ok we give the security you seeking (but it comes at a discount for us for being willing to give it to you right now) here's 40/4 or 60/5" etc.

ontheraise
06-17-2014, 04:49 AM
he'll be a max player in 3/4 year when tp manu and tim will be retired until then pay him manu/tp kind of money

will_spurs
06-17-2014, 05:01 AM
I'm pretty sure the Spurs aren't going to offer him max money the first time around. I'd be surprised if they offer him more than $14m/year (that would be 4/56 or 5/70), and I find it more likely that he will sign for the usual Spurs salary around $12.5m, which means 4/50 or 5/62. Then if in his prime he is really a franchise player like Tim Duncan, he will get the $20m/year type of contract to start the second half of his career.

dg7md
06-17-2014, 05:32 AM
:lmao Kawhi having an ego.

Regardless, he's worth the max for this team tbh. Maybe not for other teams, but he's an athletic, unique player with a high ceiling along with a great attitude.

ManuTastic
06-17-2014, 06:00 AM
Maybe he'll be worth a max contract by the time his current contract is over. Why worry about it until then?

will_spurs
06-17-2014, 06:32 AM
Maybe he'll be worth a max contract by the time his current contract is over. Why worry about it until then?

Because the Spurs have to sign him to an extension this summer?

tholdren
06-17-2014, 09:39 AM
Thank goodness for the Spurs Kawhi isn't eligible for the George extension.

I don't see why the Spurs should extend him at all. There's no financial upside to doing so. I think they will do so now, however.

yes. Funny, this is the opposite version of cliff jumping. Guess how much KL final MVP and SPurs title means now... 0

everyone is equal. I say let him prove it again this year then lock him up.

Baam
06-17-2014, 09:44 AM
Not right now no.

kaji157
06-17-2014, 10:07 AM
He seems to be a 10-12 million dollar guy.
I mean, other than his defense his finals MVP is very similar to the Parkerīs Finals MVP. More a matter of situations where the team takes advantage and he finishes.
Clearly the Heat made a commitment to stop Parker and Ginobili on the pick n roll (Still both of them averaged more than 15 pts and 4.5 assists). Leaving an incredible amount of open shots for players to take advantage. Leonard played the most minutes with either Tony or Manu, hence, he took the most advantage of all the non-big-3 players.
I think the key here is: Had the Heat commit to Leonard not being to score, would he be able to create game for others the way max players (and near max players) can?
Duncan could, Tony and Manu could. LeBron can do it. Max players should do it, and considering Tim was a max player only once in his career, Manu was a max player only once in his career, and Tony was never a max player. You have to be very good to get a max contract in SA. And i donīt think Leonard will be at that level soon.
As said before, i would offer now what was first offered to Ginobili after his rookie contract. 6 years at 52 millions (For other reference TP biggest contract was 6 years at 66 millions while Manuīs -max deal NBA allowed- was 3 years at 39 millions)

TampaDude
06-17-2014, 10:09 AM
I'm not worried about Kawhi getting a big head...Pop would put him in check with the quickness. Kawhi knows which side his bread is buttered on.

Baam
06-17-2014, 10:10 AM
I mean, other than his defense his finals MVP is very similar to the Parkerīs Finals MVP. More a matter of situations where the team takes advantage and he finishes.
Clearly the Heat made a commitment to stop Parker and Ginobili on the pick n roll (Still both of them averaged more than 15 pts and 4.5 assists). Leaving an incredible amount of open shots for players to take advantage. Leonard played the most minutes with either Tony or Manu, hence, he took the most advantage of all the non-big-3 players.
I think the key here is: Had the Heat commit to Leonard not being to score, would he be able to create game for others the way max players (and near max players) can?
Duncan could, Tony and Manu could. LeBron can do it. Max players should do it, and considering Tim was a max player only once in his career, Manu was a max player only once in his career, and Tony was never a max player. You have to be very good to get a max contract in SA. And i donīt think Leonard will be at that level soon.
As said before, i would offer now what was first offered to Ginobili after his rookie contract. 6 years at 52 millions (For other reference TP biggest contract was 6 years at 66 millions while Manuīs -max deal NBA allowed- was 3 years at 39 millions)

Excellent post :toast.

baseline bum
06-17-2014, 10:10 AM

He's not eligible for the 30% cap base salary unless he wins MVP in 2014-15. He'll likely get something in the range of 5 years, $85 million.

Cklbmk
06-17-2014, 10:15 AM
Pay the guy whatever he wants as long as we can retain every other free agent (yes even Bonner)

I hope we retain Bonner too, as a coach.

ace3g
06-17-2014, 10:29 PM
Kawhi Leonard confident he'll work out Spurs extensionhttp://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/spurs/2014/06/17/kawhi-leonard-spurs-nba-championship-finals-mvp-contract-extension/10696727/

He is also transitioning from Nike to Jordan Brand and received a congratulatory text from Michael Jordan after Game 5.

Mel_13
06-17-2014, 10:56 PM

The only way that Kawhi signs for 10-12M per year is if he chooses to give the Spurs a deep discount to his market value. That's plain and simple. All that other stuff about what Tony and Manu got paid earlier in their careers is completely irrelevant to what Kawhi's value will be in an extension signed this summer or a new contract signed next summer.

One important note for this conversation. We've overlooked an important change from the 2011 CBA. Five year extensions to a rookie contract have to be for the max first year salary and include the max 7.5% annual raises. So all my guesses, and any other guesses, for numbers like 5/60 or 5/70 just can't happen. A five year extension would have to be for the max (somewhere around 5/90 with the exact amount to be determined when the 2015 cap numbers are known).

So for the Spurs and Leonard to agree on a less than max extension this summer, it will be a four year deal, not a five year extension.

exstatic
06-17-2014, 10:59 PM
Because the Spurs have to sign him to an extension this summer?

No they don't. In fact it's to his, and the Spurs benefit NOT to. I'm convinced that the end of this iteration of the Spurs is next summer. Tim and Manu roll off, freeing $17M. If Kawhi and the Spurs roll with this contract next year, he will only count $4M as a cap hold next summer, being the #15 pick in 2011. They can spend up to the cap, and THEN sign Kawhi. K can also get a full 5 years, instead of 4 on an extension.

MI21
06-17-2014, 11:08 PM
Kawhi can have whatever he likes.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-17-2014, 11:13 PM
The only way that Kawhi signs for 10-12M per year is if he chooses to give the Spurs a deep discount to his market value. That's plain and simple. All that other stuff about what Tony and Manu got paid earlier in their careers is completely irrelevant to what Kawhi's value will be in an extension signed this summer or a new contract signed next summer.

One important note for this conversation. We've overlooked an important change from the 2011 CBA. Five year extensions to a rookie contract have to be for the max first year salary and include the max 7.5% annual raises. So all my guesses, and any other guesses, for numbers like 5/60 or 5/70 just can't happen. A five year extension would have to be for the max (somewhere around 5/90 with the exact amount to be determined when the 2015 cap numbers are known).

So for the Spurs and Leonard to agree on a less than max extension this summer, it will be a four year deal, not a five year extension.

Nice work. :tu

Interesting, didn't know that, that's why I thought 60-70/5 would be about right. In that case...

No they don't. In fact it's to his, and the Spurs benefit NOT to. I'm convinced that the end of this iteration of the Spurs is next summer. Tim and Manu roll off, freeing $17M. If Kawhi and the Spurs roll with this contract next year, he will only count $4M as a cap hold next summer, being the #15 pick in 2011. They can spend up to the cap, and THEN sign Kawhi. K can also get a full 5 years, instead of 4 on an extension.

...what ex says makes perfect sense - wait it out and sign him to the 5yr contract after next year.

Whatever happens I'm pretty sure Kawhi isn't going anywhere - he is a perfect fit for this franchise.

Chinook
06-17-2014, 11:20 PM

Exactly, and if the Spurs win the lottery again during those five years, they could give a five-year extension to that player.

exstatic
06-17-2014, 11:27 PM
Exactly, and if the Spurs win the lottery again during those five years, they could give a five-year extension to that player.

Doesn't even have to be a lottery pick. Kawhi wasn't. They just need to make another good trade down the line.

will_spurs
06-18-2014, 02:03 AM

Makes sense. I was just going with the Spurs habit of signing their players to extensions one year before reaching the deadline. As to the benefit, there's one full season between now and then, and many things can happen. Both the FO and Kawhi will probably look at it as a risk worth taking, though.

will_spurs
06-18-2014, 02:36 AM
Things are looking good anyway. Some people just seem born to be Spurs...

"I'm just playing," Leonard said. "The Spurs are a great organization. I'm leaving that to my agent, and I'm sure they'll come out with a great understanding and a deal. I'm not focused on that at all."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/spurs/2014/06/17/kawhi-leonard-spurs-nba-championship-finals-mvp-contract-extension/10696727/

kaji157
06-18-2014, 12:27 PM

Ok then letīs give him a four year not max but well paid extension. 4/50?

Mel_13
06-18-2014, 01:20 PM
Ok then letīs give him a four year not max but well paid extension. 4/50?

There's no practical difference between 12.5M per year and 12M per year. Both are well below his market value and there's no reason for him to take such a deal unless he wants to give the team a deep discount. I can't recall any example of a player in his situation agreeing to that sort of discount.

The maximum offer he can get from another team in 2015 will be somewhere between 4/65 and 4/70, depending on the exact salary cap number. If he remains healthy, there will be multiple teams prepared to offer a max deal.

Maybe he signs for much less, but he would be leaving many millions on the table.

DarrinS
06-18-2014, 01:32 PM
Nothing screams inflated ego about the way he reacted to getting the FMVP, nor his lifestyle before it.

Baam
06-18-2014, 02:50 PM
There's no practical difference between 12.5M per year and 12M per year. Both are well below his market value and there's no reason for him to take such a deal unless he wants to give the team a deep discount. I can't recall any example of a player in his situation agreeing to that sort of discount.

The maximum offer he can get from another team in 2015 will be somewhere between 4/65 and 4/70, depending on the exact salary cap number. If he remains healthy, there will be multiple teams prepared to offer a max deal.

Maybe he signs for much less, but he would be leaving many millions on the table.

Look at his regular season stats, 12.5 would be perfectly fine, you're overreacting to a series where Manu and TP were trapped...

How much would have given Green if he won FMVP last year ?

Mel_13
06-18-2014, 03:58 PM
Look at his regular season stats, 12.5 would be perfectly fine, you're overreacting to a series where Manu and TP were trapped...

My estimates here are consistent with where I've had Leonard for some time. Before the playoffs began, I pegged his market value at 12.8M per year, with the proviso that Kawhi had raised his level of play in his first two seasons from the regular season to the playoffs. He did it again this season in a very big way and his market value has gone up as a result.

I'll write a more extensive reply tomorrow, but I'm headed downtown right now.

Chinook
06-18-2014, 04:03 PM

Kawhi would almost certainly get a max deal from another team. The Spurs can't let him go, so the max is his value. Remember, Hibbert got a max deal, and he wasn't nearly the prospect Kawhi is.

If Green wins fMVP next year, he'd probably get a four-year deal starting around $10 Million.

Baam
06-18-2014, 04:11 PM
Kawhi would almost certainly get a max deal from another team. The Spurs can't let him go, so the max is his value. Remember, Hibbert got a max deal, and he wasn't nearly the prospect Kawhi is.

If Green wins fMVP next year, he'd probably get a four-year deal starting around $10 Million.

Can play that game both ways, Curry didn't get the max, Rondo didn't get the max...

Hibbert happens to be one of the worst contract in the league right now, just saying...

Chinook
06-18-2014, 04:15 PM
Can play that game both ways, Curry didn't get the max, Rondo didn't get the max...

Hibbert happens to be one of the worst contract in the league right now, just saying...

Those were extensions. I've said numerous times that I don't believe in max extensions, so it makes sense that those were below-max. Then you have to add in that neither player was coming off an fMVP performance. Actually, Curry had a horrible, injury-filled year.

Baam
06-18-2014, 04:17 PM
Those were extensions. I've said numerous times that I don't believe in max extensions, so it makes sense that those were below-max. Then you have to add in that neither player was coming off an fMVP performance. Actually, Curry had a horrible, injury-filled year.

So basically a FMVP that was virtually a tie with Boris Diaw in a series where the playmakers were trapped is skewing the perspective...

And KAwhi missed plenty of games his first 3 years.

Chinook
06-18-2014, 04:31 PM
So basically a FMVP that was virtually a tie with Boris Diaw in a series where the playmakers were trapped is skewing the perspective...

And KAwhi missed plenty of games his first 3 years.

I think Curry missed, like, 50-plus games in 2011-2012. Those injuries still flair up (like in last year's WCSF) and will continue to do so for the rest of his career. Leonard has not had that type of injury trouble.

Also, Diaw's Finals performance is overrated, on my opinion. He didn't remotely deserve the award over Leonard or Duncan.

Baam
06-18-2014, 04:39 PM
Ok I think it's the other way around, Boris has an history of making players around him look better than they are.

Anyway giving him the max wouldn't be catastrophic. Still another season with plays called for him on the regular will make the picture much clearer.

Raven
06-18-2014, 04:46 PM
i also think he'll get around 10-12 per year, i think he understands that he wouldn't be what he is now without the great coaching he got.

Baam
06-18-2014, 04:48 PM
i also think he'll get around 10-12 per year, i think he understands that he wouldn't be what he is now without the great coaching he got.

More than coaching, it's basically the strongest "supporting cast" (clearly not the right word given how strong and even the team was) to a FMVP ever...

Last year it was Green that could have had it with a weaker "supporting cast" (Pop underplayed Boris and Manu was bad) vs a better Heat team playing much better defense to put things into perspective...

kobyz
06-19-2014, 12:10 AM
He has a full year to prove it, next year his role will increase, he need to keep working on his game, he still has a lot to improve... Right now he is a great defender and rebounder, on offense he is improved shooter(surprisly shot out of his mind in the finals) and ball handler, but i think right now he rely very much on the team system and the focus Tim and Tony getting to score point, need to keep working on his ball skills and improve as a creator for him and others...

Mel_13
07-09-2014, 05:35 AM

exstatic
07-09-2014, 07:11 AM
^^^Shows how radioactive Lance Stephenson is.

spurspokesman
07-09-2014, 07:13 AM
If gordon Hayward is Kawhi is a mini god

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-09-2014, 06:35 PM

I guess the risk for Kawhi waiting is having a bad 2015, or getting hurt.

Malice
07-09-2014, 06:38 PM
If Parsons is setting the market with 15 mil a year, KL will be getting paid max no questions asked.

KL2
07-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Just extended Pop's career, he is invaluable.

Mel_13
07-09-2014, 07:02 PM
I guess the risk for Kawhi waiting is having a bad 2015, or getting hurt.

The real danger for Kawhi is a recurrence of the same knee issue he had in 2013. That could then be seen as a chronic issue.

The chance of him playing poorly enough to hurt his financial prospects seems remote to me.

It's certainly not impossible that he opts for security now by signing a 4 year extension for less than the max, we really don't know what will go into decision-making process. It does seem unlikely.

benjirh
07-09-2014, 08:51 PM
The market clearly says yes.

Hayward and Parsons = 15mil+ a year.

Leonard beats both of them in FG%, 3P%, Rebounding, Stls/Blks, TOVs, Off & Def Rtg, and WS/48. Not to mention, Leonard is the youngest of the 3, better PER than the other 2, and played more playoff games than Parsons and Hayward combined. He has more finals games than they have playoff games combined. So if they get that much money, someone will easily offer that to Leonard, and it should be the Spurs.

Knoxxx
07-09-2014, 08:56 PM

Theese.

BackHome
07-09-2014, 08:59 PM
I think the NBA is going to have a new TV contract in two years so the chance the new contract might offer teams more money to spend might have an impact on free agents?

Mel_13
07-09-2014, 09:04 PM
Theese.

That post you quoted suggests an impossible scenario. The only option with a 5 year extension is a max extension. There's no such thing as a near max 5 year extension.

Knoxxx
07-09-2014, 09:09 PM
That post you quoted suggests an impossible scenario. The only option with a 5 year extension is a max extension. There's no such thing as a near max 5 year extension.

You stand corrected then. Please don't correct the 25% part which was my point of emphasis.

Mel_13
07-09-2014, 09:12 PM
You stand corrected then. Please don't correct the 25% part which was my point of emphasis.

No, it was just the part about a less than max 5 year extension that was wrong. I brought it up at a point in this thread after the post you quoted.

sook
07-09-2014, 10:24 PM
^^^Shows how radioactive Lance Stephenson is.
:lmao

G-Dawgg
07-09-2014, 11:36 PM
Kawhi has the potential to be a max player, but as of right now he isn't worth that kind of money...

Arcadian
07-09-2014, 11:47 PM
He will be in four years. Most NBA players hit their peak around 26-28.

exstatic
07-10-2014, 07:09 AM
He will be in four years. Most NBA players hit their peak around 26-28.

If he MAX signs this year or next, he'll be a BARGAIN in 4 years. The new TV deal gets signed in 2016.

Cklbmk
07-10-2014, 10:32 AM
Ya... Kawhi is most definitely a max after the Hayward and Parsons contracts

DJR210
07-10-2014, 07:55 PM
With some of the ridiculous free agent signings, I'm starting to think Leonard is gonna get the max from somebody if allowed to test the market.

*Edit* Scratch that, I'm sure he'll get the max.

spurraider21
07-10-2014, 07:59 PM
:lol traded George Hill for a guy thats becoming a max player

DJR210
07-10-2014, 08:00 PM
:lol traded George Hill for a guy thats becoming a max player

:lol a nude selfie taking, passive queer for a franchise player

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-10-2014, 10:57 PM
Yes. He's not your typical max player, he's probably a guy that will be a better second scorer (like Scottie), but he is definitely a max player.

moisaenz
07-10-2014, 11:01 PM
2014-15 will tell. Although best option would be to sing extension soon.

hsxvvd
07-11-2014, 05:52 AM
Ya... Kawhi is most definitely a max after the Hayward and Parsons contracts
This seems to be the case. Although they would probably be the best indication of his value in my opinion.

exstatic
07-11-2014, 06:49 AM
2014-15 will tell. Although best option would be to sing extension soon.

No it's not. If he signs an extension, that slams the door shut on SA doing anything at all next summer, whether Tim and Manu leave or not. As of now, his cap hold for next summer is $4M. If he extends, it becomes his new 10 figure salary.

ErnestLynch
07-11-2014, 10:24 AM
http://daylifeimages.newscred.com/imageserve/67e447712ecd621dfc821e0981bd9a34/625x527.jpg

Posterizing Miami's big three all at once...