PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency Rundown

cd021
06-16-2014, 08:49 PM
(Only listed player who were conceivably in play No Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Melo etc.)

Small Forward-

Luol Deng

Evan Turner (RFA)

Trever Ariza

Shawn Marion

Andri Kirlenko

Al Farouq Aminu

Paul Pierce

Richard Jefferson

PJ Tucker

CJ Miles

Wes Johnson

Marvin Williams

Point Guard

Kyle Lowry

Shaun Livingston

Nate Robinson (ETO)

Grievis Vasques

Ramon Sessions

Kirk Hinrich

Darren Collison

Aaron Brooks

Luke Ridnour

Beno Udrih

Power Forward

Pau Gasol

Andray Blatche

Ed Davis

Jordan Hill

Al Farouq Aminu

Patrick Patterson

Jan Vessely

Center

Greg Monroe (RFA)

Marcin Gortat

Spencer Hawes

Channing Frye

Emeka Okafor

Solid list of role player and some starting caliber players.

Big fans of Aminu, Vessely as projects ir maybe Okafor on the cheap if he is fully healthy (born in Texas).

If Mills walks, I'd think they'd sign another PG given how important depth was at that position this championship run. They could as just as easily draft a SF,PF, or Center.

spurraider21
06-16-2014, 08:50 PM
pretty good SF crop and a decent amount of serviceable bigs

TheGoldStandard
06-16-2014, 08:52 PM
Aminu, Monroe and Gasol are about the only interesting people on that list that I would want on a Spurs roster and Aminu is the only one who would probably make sense financially.

look_at_g_shred
06-16-2014, 08:55 PM
Aminu please.

r0drig0lac
06-16-2014, 08:59 PM
Aminu

Seventyniner
06-16-2014, 09:01 PM
Aminu, Monroe and Gasol are about the only interesting people on that list that I would want on a Spurs roster and Aminu is the only one who would probably make sense financially.

The Spurs got by with no true backup SF this season but it would be good to have one in the future. Plenty of good names on there, though many of them wouldn't like to be backups (Pierce, Ariza, Deng). Marion and Kirilenko are the two best at that position that might be willing to take a relatively small contract and be a backup to Kawhi.

Hinrich and Ridnour stand out to me as possible backup PGs if Mills gets too much money for the Spurs to match and Joseph is seen as not ready for full-time backup duties.

As for big men, Ed Davis and Frye are good but likely out of MLE range. Okafor, if healthy, is a good defensive-minded big off the bench and Jordan Hill has always been a good energy guy if nothing else.

BatManu20
06-16-2014, 09:02 PM
Marvin Williams is my number one choice. Only 27 years old, has great size for the 3 at 6'9 240 lbs, and is a 3 & D guy. might be too pricey but he would fit perfectly in our system imo.

He averaged 9 pts and 5 boards on a bad team last year on 36% shooting from 3, but I think that number would go up in our system. Regardless, this team can definitely get better this offseason with right moves.

cd021
06-16-2014, 09:05 PM
Aminu because of combo forward possibilities longer, more athletic, and taller version of Leonard only a year older and has yet to find stability in the NBA. If Chip sticks around he could develop a midrange or long range jumper.

Okafor has been a productive center and could be a nice fit off the bench. Career: 51% FG, 12 PPG, 10 RPG and 1.7 BPG, missed this season with a neck injury but is only 31.

Vessely is a very good athlete and hustle player, a bust as a top pick but has role player written all over him. Could be what Ayers was supposed to be for us.

TheGoldStandard
06-16-2014, 09:09 PM
The Spurs got by with no true backup SF this season but it would be good to have one in the future. Plenty of good names on there, though many of them wouldn't like to be backups (Pierce, Ariza, Deng). Marion and Kirilenko are the two best at that position that might be willing to take a relatively small contract and be a backup to Kawhi.

Hinrich and Ridnour stand out to me as possible backup PGs if Mills gets too much money for the Spurs to match and Joseph is seen as not ready for full-time backup duties.

As for big men, Ed Davis and Frye are good but likely out of MLE range. Okafor, if healthy, is a good defensive-minded big off the bench and Jordan Hill has always been a good energy guy if nothing else.

Monroe in pick N roll would be a dream given that the Spurs could help him with footwork and develop his shot but alas he's too expensive. Deng would be an ideal player at the 3 but again too much money, Pierce wouldn't be able to play with pace. Aminu would be the best option at the 3 because he's young, long, defensive minded and we can develop his jumper. We will lock up Patty. I'd love it if Gasol took a massive pay cut and decided to come here off the bench. His defense is pretty suspect but it gives you more options off the bench.

Mel_13
06-16-2014, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the recap.

If Mills leaves, the Spurs could do worse than Beno for the minimum.

BackHome
06-16-2014, 09:10 PM
Well to get to the finals we will have to go through the Grizz, Clippers, OK - So I would ask the question what player can help us win against these three teams?

Also do you think that Bertrans is going to make the jump to our roster next year? If so does that change wanting Aminu?

TheGoldStandard
06-16-2014, 09:11 PM
Well to get to the finals we will have to go through the Grizz, Clippers, OK - So I would ask the question what player can help us win against these three teams?

Also do you think that Bertrans is going to make the jump to our roster next year? If so does that change wanting Aminu?

If Bertans didn't get hurt he would probably be on a short list to get over here but probably not now. They'll probably leave him over seas one more season but I'd love to see him in Summer League along with Hanga.

TE
06-16-2014, 09:13 PM
Fuck that. Bring everybody back. Sign and develop a SF.

TheGoldStandard
06-16-2014, 09:14 PM
Lebron will opt out, he'll call up RC and ask for the the least he could take to come and win.

cd021
06-16-2014, 09:31 PM
Spurs could have quite a few roster spots open.

Daye is a team option ($250,00 guaranteed)

Baynes

Bonner

Joseph & Ayers are both on 1 year deals and cost the Spurs roughly $3.75 million if they could package them along with maybe a future second rounder (likely to a bad team) they could clear up a couple of roster spot and cap space as well.

Belinelli could even be expendable by midseason if they they find a true SF that fits in. Ginobili has been playing backup SF while Belinelli has been play backup SG. but I'd doubt they'd move him.

look_at_g_shred
06-16-2014, 09:39 PM
How many FA's would love to be a part of what they witnessed in the finals?

Mugen
06-16-2014, 09:42 PM
Fuck that. Bring everybody back. Sign and develop a SF.

Yup, If they bring everybody back, then the offseason will be a success. Bring in one of the overseas 3s and call it a summer.

If Patty/Boris leave then they got some work to do but I think Boris stays and CoJo is a good enough backup PG to take over.

Assman
06-16-2014, 10:19 PM
PJ Tucker please

houston spurs fan
06-16-2014, 10:21 PM
Hater salivating that RJ comes back.

Mnky
06-16-2014, 10:33 PM
Gasol mentioned Spurs as possible location. Says his role on a team and how they utilize him is important. Said Spurs would be a great fit. Wouldn't mind him for the mid-level if he was willing to take a cut. Great passing big who can spread the floor with his above average shot.

100%duncan
06-16-2014, 10:35 PM
Bring everyone back. And develop or get one back-up for Kawhi in the SF spot.

G-Dawgg
06-16-2014, 11:26 PM
Greg Monroe would be a great fit. He fits the Spurs mold of bigmen who pass the ball well.

SilverSpur
06-16-2014, 11:33 PM
Ariza and Gasol

spursparker9
06-16-2014, 11:34 PM
Detroit will keep Monroe no matter what

Kidd K
06-16-2014, 11:41 PM
I really hope we keep Mills and Diaw tbh. I don't want to have to replace those guys. Especially Diaw.

TheGoldStandard
06-16-2014, 11:44 PM
I really hope we keep Mills and Diaw tbh. I don't want to have to replace those guys. Especially Diaw.

We'll keep Diaw and I think Mills will play ball. RC knows how intricate they were in this run and if he doesn't then Pop will remind him. I think we'll see the Spurs draft the best player available in the draft rather than focus on a need (backup SF) which will end up being a draft and stash kind of player. I don't see a whole lot of FA hoopla this offseason either, maybe a stretch 4/5.

Kidd K
06-16-2014, 11:55 PM
We'll keep Diaw and I think Mills will play ball. RC knows how intricate they were in this run and if he doesn't then Pop will remind him. I think we'll see the Spurs draft the best player available in the draft rather than focus on a need (backup SF) which will end up being a draft and stash kind of player. I don't see a whole lot of FA hoopla this offseason either, maybe a stretch 4/5.

I could see us drafting a raw playmaking SG who needs a ton of work to be a complete player too. We still kinda need an extra playmaker for injury insurance

G-Dawgg
06-17-2014, 12:08 AM
Our own free agents are more important than any free agents we could potentially aquire.. re-signing Diaw and Mills should be our priority. Maybe Let Bonner walk unless he signs for pocket change. As it stands, The Spurs are the best team (by leaps and bounds) and they don't need to make any changes.

keepinitwill
06-17-2014, 12:15 AM
Glad to see I'm not the only one that likes Aminu. He is definitely a Spur and I hope he gets consideration. We really need to hold onto Mills, but if we can't I would try to go after Darren Collison, or if we need somebody on the cheap we should look at Devin Harris.

TheGoldStandard
06-17-2014, 12:22 AM
I could see us drafting a raw playmaking SG who needs a ton of work to be a complete player too. We still kinda need an extra playmaker for injury insurance

I'd love Kyle Anderson out of UCLA, SF with good hands, good IQ and can shoot

Chinook
06-17-2014, 12:25 AM
The draft and trade market are much more interesting than the FA market this year (for the Spurs at least). I would have liked to take a flier on Vesely had Ayres not been signed, but I'd just as soon bring back Baynes now. Plus, do the Spurs really want another big-man bust named /jan/ [IPA]?

Spursfanfromafar
06-17-2014, 12:33 AM
Ariza, Gasol, Okafor will be out of the price range, for sure.

I think the Spurs have got to consider anyone among Marvin Williams or CJ Miles. I will prefer the latter. Better basketball IQ, can play SG & SF, and a better defender than Williams. Danny Green is in any case a good SF backup and I think the Spurs system will benefit having Miles in it.

Besides they can get Bertans in the offseason too.

If Miles doesn't pan out, Marion could be a decent one year vet option.

apalisoc_9
06-17-2014, 12:39 AM
No more players that can potentially mean Less Green who IMO is probably the best Kawhi Back up not to mention playing SG..He's good enough to have minutes on both SG and SF..

The spurs have enough players to win another one imo..Re-sign Boris, Try to resign Patty...

If they can't resign patty look for a third string PG and just give Cory a shot..

Robz4000
06-17-2014, 01:14 AM
Resign Diaw and Mills, retire Bonner to a coach/color guy role, kill Errors, and bring in an athletic big with a jumper ala Patterson and one of the SFs they have in Europe.

jesterbobman
06-17-2014, 01:30 AM
Realistically, we're looking at the MLE and #30 for a backup PF, and depth at SF to replace the Bonner/James/Daye group, with potentially a #3PG slot if Patty gets a big offer, and whatever depth changes if something happens with Baynes(stay or go?)

At PF, Davis, Hill and Patterson(And I'd add Jeff Adrien as a 4th) all offer some skill and should fit the price range. Channing Frye also fits, and not sure how he fits long term plan in Phoenix(He's good, But Len, Plumtree, the Morri and 3 1sts probably fills the big man spots) and he fits the floor spacing role Bonner has played so well.

PJ Tucker does a lot of 1st year Kawhi stuff (Good committed defense, Decent corner 3 but not a creator) that works as depth. Depends on what the Suns do, but I'd be interested in him if PATFO go PF in the draft(though I think SF/SG is more likely given the talent in Adams, Anderson, McDaniels etc projected in the late 1st/early 2nd).

Kidd K
06-17-2014, 01:34 AM
I'd love Kyle Anderson out of UCLA, SF with good hands, good IQ and can shoot

I'll have to see if I can find some videos and info on him. I have to admit, I'm not a big college basketball watcher. I just watch a lot of NBA. My gf will only stand for so much sports, lol

Holden_Caulfield
06-17-2014, 01:35 AM
gortat

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-17-2014, 02:06 AM
Doubt the Spurs would offer the full MLE to anyone, they'd value 2015/2016 cap space more.

Emperor
06-17-2014, 02:26 AM
Aminu or Gasol, assuming we could afford one of them.

Duncanforthree
06-17-2014, 02:59 AM
We will not be able to pay market value for Ariza, Deng, Lowry or even Monroe.

All four will get serious paydays this off-season.

We might be able to entice a veteran like Gasol or Pierce.

I like the idea of Aminu, or like others have said draft and develop Kawhi's backup.

If Patty leaves, replacing him with a long range pg is top priority.

kuato
06-17-2014, 03:04 AM
What about Marcin Gortat ?

Warlord23
06-17-2014, 04:55 AM
Aminu isn't a good enough 3 point shooter for the Spurs' system. Marvin Williams and Ariza are better fits but would cost twice as much. Maybe Evan Turner. In those cases Tim would probably have to restructure his deal. Wes Johnson would be cheaper, but may not pan out for a team looking to win now.

still.focused
06-17-2014, 07:20 AM
Rsigning Patty and Boris are paramount
Try to get Daye acclimated
If he can produce him and Green share the backup SF job
Wouldnt mind seein a Gortat
He a more athletic version of Tiago

Mal
06-17-2014, 07:27 AM
Diaw, Bonner and Mills earned combined about 8.8 mil. I hope it`s enough to keep Boris and Patty.
Daye should be gone. Bertrans or Thomas or Jean-Charles should take his spot.
Bonner should be gone.
Bayness will be gone. Hopefully Spurs can work some deal with Philly for one of their 2nd rounders.
If Patty is resigned, trade CoJo. Kid needs to play, and he wont here.

Kineto
06-17-2014, 08:25 AM
Spurs win because of team chemistry and basket ball IQ.
So keep Diaw + Mills + Bonner for the vet min, and give the MLE to Kirilenko, and this team will be a HUGE next year !

myhc
06-17-2014, 08:28 AM
Gortat is way out of our price range. Wiz will probably resign him.

spursparker9
06-17-2014, 08:30 AM
Develop Daye, he got potential.

AK47 just can't seems to stay healthy at all. Is he really worth the MLE?

sook
06-17-2014, 08:42 AM
If Mills leaves, you guys need to grab Brooks. Dude had some pretty crazy games in Denver when he was starting for them. I do hope he comes back to the rockets though.

100%duncan
06-17-2014, 08:46 AM
If Mills leaves, you guys need to grab Brooks. Dude had some pretty crazy games in Denver when he was starting for them. I do hope he comes back to the rockets though.

Mills should stay with us.

spursparker9
06-17-2014, 08:48 AM

Aaron Brooks? He is like a Westbrook without athleticism

will_spurs
06-17-2014, 08:52 AM
Bayness will be gone. Hopefully Spurs can work some deal with Philly for one of their 2nd rounders.

Baynes is cheap, efficient, reliable = a great big man insurance.

Ayres, on the other hand, is pretty much useless, and more expensive. That's the one the Spurs should deal.

sook
06-17-2014, 08:56 AM
Aaron Brooks? He is like a Westbrook without athleticism

If you watch the games with Denver, he actually plays a lot like Mills. Not the best passer, but super fast and moves the ball around, real sharp 3 pt shooter and isn't afraid to take the big shots. He would do great in SA imo.

cd021
06-17-2014, 09:39 AM
Aminu isn't a good enough 3 point shooter for the Spurs' system. Marvin Williams and Ariza are better fits but would cost twice as much. Maybe Evan Turner. In those cases Tim would probably have to restructure his deal. Wes Johnson would be cheaper, but may not pan out for a team looking to win now.

has some handle and would probably be more of a 4 and occasionally a 3 for us. Could be paired with Diaw off the bench or even start on occasion with Splitter and Diaw off the bench.

Mr. Body
06-17-2014, 10:19 AM
One of those SFs would be interesting - Marvin Williams, Aminu...

I see Baynes as staying. He played well in very spot minutes in the POs, is huge and tough. Ayres, I think, has to be gone.

tholdren
06-17-2014, 11:18 AM
We wont know who is available for sure until we:
Pre-req = DRAFT/Tim's decision

1. Resign/let walk
2. Let the shitty organizations make it rain on their "franchise saving" free-agent.
3. After the dust settles find out who are the "character guys" if any from this list,
4. Offer QUALITY GUYS, BUSINESS LIKE OFFERS

5. win the championship.

Nothing happens until the draft, and tim decision.... we got a week

Johnny RIngo
06-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Looking at that SF list:

Deng and Ariza are the best players here but they're way outside our price range. We could always try to convince them to take a paycut to be on a contender but I doubt either will consider it. They're both 29 and this will likely be their last big payday before they get too old. Love to have either one though. They're both, easily, the most ready to contribute to a contending team of all the small forwards on this list.

Pierce, Marion, and Kirilenko are done. Signing old, washed up vets would be a backasswards move for this team. I don't want to see a repeat of the 2008 Spurs. Jefferson too but I didn't want to put his name next to three players that USED to be good. RJ was never good. Fuck him.

Evan Turner's a trainwreck on both ends of the court and Wes Johnson sucks. Considering his production, Marvin Williams is overpriced at 7 mil.

That leaves:

Al Farouq Aminu
PJ Tucker
CJ Miles

Tucker and Miles are both better offensively but Aminu is clearly the best defender in this group. His offense is raw and needs a lot of work but I like his upside. A summer with Chip would work wonders for him.

cd021
06-17-2014, 03:12 PM

Would that be the 3rd or 4th time?

will_spurs
06-17-2014, 04:06 PM
Deng and Ariza are the best players here but they're way outside our price range.

Deng is getting paid for sure. Ariza, not so sure. He's earning around $7m right now and I don't see him getting paid a lot more than that.

Pierce, Marion, and Kirilenko are done.

Pierce and Kirilenko are certainly done. Marion not so much. He averaged 10.5 and 6.5 in 32 minutes. He could definitely back-up Kawhi, but he's 35 and not getting any younger, that's for sure. But somehow with his aura he might get paid more than Ariza anyway...

Tucker and Miles are both better offensively but Aminu is clearly the best defender in this group. His offense is raw and needs a lot of work but I like his upside. A summer with Chip would work wonders for him.

How much could the Spurs throw at Aminu?

sook
06-17-2014, 04:30 PM
Would that be the 3rd or 4th time?
Lost count, tbh.

xmas1997
06-17-2014, 04:34 PM
I would like Aminu too.
How much was his last contract?
And has he or the Spurs ever expressed interest in each other?

Mal
06-17-2014, 04:34 PM
Baynes is cheap, efficient, reliable = a great big man insurance.

Ayres, on the other hand, is pretty much useless, and more expensive. That's the one the Spurs should deal.

He wont sign for 1 mil. Somebody will give him 2mil at least.

will_spurs
06-17-2014, 04:38 PM

Might be the case. It remains to be seen, and the Spurs might find the money to match an offer.

benstanfield
06-17-2014, 04:53 PM
Our own free agents are more important than any free agents we could potentially aquire.. re-signing Diaw and Mills should be our priority. Maybe Let Bonner walk unless he signs for pocket change. As it stands, The Spurs are the best team (by leaps and bounds) and they don't need to make any changes.

OKC is about 1 or 2 decent pieces away from being better than the Spurs if healthy, and they have more cap room.

LAC is a SF and good backup big away from being possibly the most talented team in the league (and look at what's available).

HOU is probably gonna swing for the fences this offseason, and if they land someone like Melo they're automatically the favorites IMO.

GSW still has an extremely solid roster, upgraded their coaching, and was a Bogut injury away from a deep run.

The Spurs were the best team this year, but if they sit back and resign guys like Bonner, they face a significant risk of being heavily outgunned next year. I don't think they should make any huge moves, but if Mills walks they need to turn that money into a significant contributor.

xmas1997
06-17-2014, 04:57 PM
OKC is about 1 or 2 decent pieces away from being better than the Spurs if healthy, and they have more cap room.

LAC is a SF and good backup big away from being possibly the most talented team in the league (and look at what's available).

HOU is probably gonna swing for the fences this offseason, and if they land someone like Melo they're automatically the favorites IMO.

GSW still has an extremely solid roster, upgraded their coaching, and was a Bogut injury away from a deep run.

The Spurs were the best team this year, but if they sit back and resign guys like Bonner, they face a significant risk of being heavily outgunned next year. I don't think they should make any huge moves, but if Mills walks they need to turn that money into a significant contributor.

Some really good points.
The Spurs have to be fluid and continue to grow, but they don't have to make huge changes, just subtle positive ones.
But they cannot stand pat and expect to win it again, they learned that lesson after all their previous championships.

kobyz
06-17-2014, 04:58 PM
Paul Pierce should be on the PF list and i want him bad, you sign him as Bonner replacment(move Bonner to be the toros coach), let him start along side Duncan(bringing Tiago and Boris of the bench) and than you go for 70 wins season!

Seventyniner
06-17-2014, 05:00 PM

Shamsports shows Baynes with a qualifying offer for a little over $1.1M. I would think the Spurs keep him for that price.

Pierce would be a fun get, the Spurs would have 4 Finals MVPs on the roster. I've heard of 3 of those at one time (Lakers and Celtics in the 80s) but never 4.

Texas_Ranger
06-17-2014, 05:02 PM
Get Carter for the minimum.

eric365
06-17-2014, 05:03 PM
Spurs created the 3&D guy type of player a long time ago.
They improved it in a 3&D and pass guy type of player.

We need one more of thoses at the SF position

Mal
06-17-2014, 05:04 PM
Shamsports shows Baynes with a qualifying offer for a little over $1.1M. I would think the Spurs keep him for that price.

Pierce would be a fun get, the Spurs would have 4 Finals MVPs on the roster. I've heard of 3 of those at one time (Lakers and Celtics in the 80s) but never 4.

So he is restricted. But if Philly with aussie coach gives him 6 mil/3 years I doubt Spurs would match

eric365
06-17-2014, 05:07 PM
And assuming Diaw and Mills come back we don't need anything else than a backup SF.

The big rotation is great with Baynes that will come back better next year. Only a 3 point specialist could help if Bonner doesn't come back
The guard position is already stacked and getting another good player could damage it

Mal
06-17-2014, 05:09 PM
And assuming Diaw and Mills come back we don't need anything else than a backup SF.

There is Daye, there is Jean-Charles, Bertrans or Thomas is Europe

kobyz
06-17-2014, 05:21 PM
PJ Tucker please

Solid idea!

06-17-2014, 05:22 PM
Definitely Aminu. If Engelland can give him a reliable jumpshot, he will be a ridiculous pairing next to Leonard for the future. Will also have a long body to throw at Durant and Lebron.

Maybe Channing Frye. Spurs need an upgrade over Ayers and hopefully Baynes can see some more minutes. Frye can probably get a bigger role elsewhere though. Throw money at Mills and Diaw until they agree to come back and the Spurs should be pretty solid at all 5 spots.

eric365
06-17-2014, 05:27 PM
There is Daye, there is Jean-Charles, Bertrans or Thomas is Europe

A backup SF that would be good enough that pop would give him minutes or could start when Leonard is injured.
Only Jean-Charles in your list seems to have the potential. Anyone knows if he'll play in the summer league?

Vic Petro
06-17-2014, 05:40 PM

Melo on the Rockets makes that team an even bigger joke than they are now. They play zero defense, and they'd be trading all their good role players for a volume shooter who doesn't play defense. If you think KD and Westbrook fight over the ball, wait till Harden and Melo got on the same team.

I don't think OKC is one or two "decent" players away from being better than the Spurs. They are one or two perfect fits away, and acquiring perfect fits is about way more than just cap space.

GSW is solid but not a threat to the Spurs as constituted.

LAC are a very good team, but to be a real threat Blake Griffin needs to be a great player in more than just the regular season. We haven't seen him dominate in the playoffs ever.

Nonetheless agree with the overall point. Other teams will get better. If the Spurs re-sign Patty and Boris, maybe upgrade the end of the bench, it'll be a great offseason.

iManu
06-17-2014, 05:43 PM
First things first: resign Diaw. 2nd, try to resign Patty, and if impossible, trade whatever we can to move up to like 24 to nab Napier, LaVine, or Payton for a "3rd" string point guard (which ever one of those is left). 3rd, we should absolutely positively resign Baynes, because he can be dominant in the system. 4th, find a SF that can play defense (or Bertans, if at all possible). 5th, ask Coach B. if he'd like to be our assistant.

We don't need no Free Agent (though, for the first time ever, I imagine we'll actually have a few that will want to play with us). If we could sign Frye (as others had mentioned as a possibility), that would be a dream move (as long as it doesn't cost us Diaw), because the Thunder will improve this year, but spreading out their post defense is tantamount to kicking them in their nads. I'm not afraid of the Clippers (never have been, they're the Clippers for god sakes), I'm only partially afraid of the Warriors (unless they can trade Lee and Barnes for Love), the Heat can have Melo (I don't care), and I will always be afraid of the Rockets (and I just don't think there's anything anyone can do about that).

Believe.

:toast

james evans
06-17-2014, 05:43 PM
jefferson has no chance in hell of ever coming back here

xmas1997
06-17-2014, 05:46 PM
A backup SF that would be good enough that pop would give him minutes or could start when Leonard is injured.
Only Jean-Charles in your list seems to have the potential. Anyone knows if he'll play in the summer league?

Is Jean-Charles a SF? I thought he was a PF.

Melo on the Rockets makes that team an even bigger joke than they are now. They play zero defense, and they'd be trading all their good role players for a volume shooter who doesn't play defense. If you think KD and Westbrook fight over the ball, wait till Harden and Melo got on the same team.

I don't think OKC is one or two "decent" players away from being better than the Spurs. They are one or two perfect fits away, and acquiring perfect fits is about way more than just cap space.

GSW is solid but not a threat to the Spurs as constituted.

LAC are a very good team, but to be a real threat Blake Griffin needs to be a great player in more than just the regular season. We haven't seen him dominate in the playoffs ever.

Nonetheless agree with the overall point. Other teams will get better. If the Spurs re-sign Patty and Boris, maybe upgrade the end of the bench, it'll be a great offseason.

Rational points of view especially your last point. This is why I like Frye if he wants to come here and if we can afford him.

007nites
06-17-2014, 05:54 PM
Any chance we could get Ed Davis for cheap? Would be a huge upgrade over Errors, Bonner, and Baynes.

toki9
06-17-2014, 06:01 PM
One more thing: make sure Chip doesn't go anywhere.

xmas1997
06-17-2014, 06:09 PM

Extremely important IMHO.

Vic Petro
06-17-2014, 06:46 PM

:toast

ducks
06-17-2014, 06:54 PM
There is Daye, there is Jean-Charles, Bertrans or Thomas is Europetp asked spurs about JEAN
he is staying one more year over there

cjw
06-17-2014, 07:17 PM

OKC - Where is this cap space you speak of? Amnesty Perkins and dump Thabeet, and add in the cap holds of two first rounders and they're at $59.3, or four million under the cap for 11 players and you need to count the hold for two more spots. So they'll have $3 million plus the under cap mini-midlevel ($2.6 million). If those draft picks go overseason, they'll have about $5 million plus mini-midlevel. Meanwhile, they have to replace three rotation guys in Thabo, Fisher and Perkins either with those picks or through internal improvement. They're not big FA players, plus still have to pay Perkins.

LAC - didn't they bust into the luxury tax this year? If so, they have a smaller mid-level too to fill a huge hole at SF. Will need to get lucky.

HOU - will swing for fences and has contracts to send out, but not sure they have enough other pieces to make a Melo or Love deal work. Asik and Lin help make the salaries work, but why would NY do a sign-and-trade for those two when they can tell Houston to pound sand?

GSW - will only go as far as their bigs take them. Could be interesting in the trade market - if they could somehow turn around and grab Asik/Lin from Houston to replace the oft-injured Bogut, it would make them immediately more interesting (someone to backup Curry / take ball out of his hand so he can move away from the ball ... as well as a center who doesn't need to do much offensively).

jeebus
06-17-2014, 07:33 PM
Any chance we could get Ed Davis for cheap? Would be a huge upgrade over Errors, Bonner, and Baynes.
how so? don't say scoring cuz we don't need a scoring big man. we need someone quick on their feet, good passing, a bruiser defender, and can set hard picks. Banes proved he could do all of that.

The big rotation is great with Baynes that will come back better next year. Only a 3 point specialist could help if Bonner doesn't come back
The guard position is already stacked and getting another good player could damage it
Bertans will probably take over Boner's spot eventually, maybe after next season. Wouldn't be surprised if Boner came back for one more year for the vet min to retire with Timmeh. I can live with a Duncan/Shitter/Diaw/Boner/Bane big lineup next year.

TD 21
06-17-2014, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the recap.

If Mills leaves, the Spurs could do worse than Beno for the minimum.

Even though he'd be the third PG, with Belinelli and to a lesser extent, Ginobili, already on the roster, he'd be a terrible fit.

If Mills leaves (and as much as I hate to say it, I think he probably get's an offer too astronomical for them to even strongly consider coming close to matching and for him to turn down), they need to replace him with a player of similar ilk.

Depending on how the draft shakes out, I wouldn't be surprised to see them pursue Tolliver. They've obviously liked him in the past, he's five years younger than Bonner, shot a career best 41% (with volume) from 3 last season and when Kidd-Gilchrist and especially Taylor were out, even played some SF. I'm skeptical he can credibly defend the position, but at least he'd provide another emergency option.

Mal
06-17-2014, 07:53 PM
tp asked spurs about JEAN
he is staying one more year over there

But he should be on summer league roster.
So maybe Bertrans is coming next season. No need for him to play, just sit, watch, develop your game.

tholdren
06-17-2014, 08:16 PM
Paul Pierce should be on the PF list and i want him bad, you sign him as Bonner replacment(move Bonner to be the toros coach), let him start along side Duncan(bringing Tiago and Boris of the bench) and than you go for 70 wins season!

WTF? Paul Pierce sucks ass, always has. Worse player than Shawn Marion

tholdren
06-17-2014, 08:29 PM
Even though he'd be the third PG, with Belinelli and to a lesser extent, Ginobili, already on the roster, he'd be a terrible fit.

If Mills leaves (and as much as I hate to say it, I think he probably get's an offer too astronomical for them to even strongly consider coming close to matching and for him to turn down), they need to replace him with a player of similar ilk.

Depending on how the draft shakes out, I wouldn't be surprised to see them pursue Tolliver. They've obviously liked him in the past, he's five years younger than Bonner, shot a career best 41% (with volume) from 3 last season and when Kidd-Gilchrist and especially Taylor were out, even played some SF. I'm skeptical he can credibly defend the position, but at least he'd provide another emergency option.

I agree with you on the patty, and to some extent tolliver. but I would rather resign Bonner for what we would pay tolliver (1 mil?) They are both one dimensional.

What about Sessions. He kind of played into obscurity, I think, and hes a solid player for 3-4 million dollars. I know he's making 5 this year, but IF PATTY LEAVES... who knows.

dunkman
06-17-2014, 09:11 PM
Hope Gasol and Pierce sign with the Spurs. One of the reasons the Spurs never repeated, was because they didn't improve the roster after winning the 'ship and other teams caught up.

DMC
06-17-2014, 09:13 PM
Hit the D-league or international, fuck these self entitled clowns.

cd021
06-17-2014, 09:21 PM
Lost count, tbh.

i checked cause i was curious. Its been 3 times in 7 seasons. Drafted and later traded, signed as a FA and later waived and signed again and later traded.

would have to some kind of record if he returns for a 4th go.

cd021
06-17-2014, 09:27 PM

our end of bench could have been better, Ayers and Baynes had moment but neither really lived up to expectations. Baynes did have a couple of solid moments in the postseason but Spurs could probably do better for only slightly more $.

Raven
06-17-2014, 10:03 PM
Monroe would be amazing.

Mel_13
06-17-2014, 11:44 PM
One other possible free agent is our old friend Luis Scola. His contract is for 4.8M with less than 1M guaranteed. Indiana may have to waive Scola in order to sign Lance Stephenson and still remain under the tax.

Chinook
06-17-2014, 11:46 PM
One other possible free agent is our old friend Luis Scola. His contract is for 4.8M with less than 1M guaranteed. Indiana may have to waive Scola in order to sign Lance Stephenson and still remain under the tax.

Scola thread? Here?

Mel_13
06-17-2014, 11:47 PM
Scola thread? Here?

Every thread is a Scola thread if you look hard enough. Been that way since 2007.

spursparker9
06-18-2014, 12:40 AM
Scola is playing like the Kevin Garnett from Brooklyn Nets for 2 years already.

outmap
06-18-2014, 04:02 AM
Bring every free agent on the team back except for Bonner (Daye will get his spot), get him in the coaching staff instead (he's very smart and very useful). Draft a project seven footer (who will probably spend most of his time in the reserve list or D-league). Trade Ayres and a second rd pick for a defensive PG, Sign a free agent SF using the MLE as back-up to Kawhi.

cd021
06-18-2014, 08:13 PM

That would make me depressed if I was a Pacers fan. Moved Green, Plumlee and a 1st rounder in a deep draft for Scola ,who could be waived in order to resign Lan. For all they know he could go to the Heat or Bulls on the cheap.

Stephenson could get $8-10 per year from the ranges I've heard. The Pacers would basically be stuck with their starting unit for the next 2 years unless they move West or Hibbert.

Shabazz
06-18-2014, 08:31 PM
I think the Spurs have got to consider anyone among Marvin Williams or CJ Miles. I will prefer the latter. Better basketball IQ, can play SG & SF, and a better defender than Williams. Danny Green is in any case a good SF backup and I think the Spurs system will benefit having Miles in it.

Marvin is more of a 3/4.

Are we replacing Bonner in this hypothetical scenario?

TacoCabanaFajitas
06-18-2014, 09:08 PM
I like what I saw from Wes Johnson in LA this year, but he was on a shit team. Jodie Meeks also wouldn't be bad off of the bench when Danny/Kawhi need a rest

Mr Bones
06-18-2014, 09:59 PM
You forgot to list Josh McRoberts, a 6'10'' PF who is a younger and more athletic version of Boris Diaw-- a great passer, and a good shooter from the 3 pt line. He wouldn't replace Diaw though, he'd replace Bonner. And he would pair well with Duncan, Splitter, or Diaw.

cd021
06-18-2014, 10:41 PM
You forgot to list Josh McRoberts, a 6'10'' PF who is a younger and more athletic version of Boris Diaw-- a great passer, and a good shooter from the 3 pt line. He wouldn't replace Diaw though, he'd replace Bonner. And he would pair well with Duncan, Splitter, or Diaw.

He opted in to his player option. I was never impressed with him ,personally. Watched him some on Indy and the 'Cats.

His numbers aren't that great either. 43% FG, 36% 3pt, 8 ppg and 5 rpg in 30 mpg. I'd rather keep Daye.

Mr Bones
06-18-2014, 10:47 PM
I really like Al-Farouq Aminu too. He's an incredible rebounder, a good defender, and with a 7'3" wingspan, a physical specimen similar to Kawhi Leonard. His weakness is shooting, but if anyone can fix that it's the coaching staff of the Spurs. He could back up Kawhi at small forward and play some minutes as a smallball power forward.

Mr. Body
06-18-2014, 10:52 PM
The Spurs have room for one or two ring-chasing cagey vets. Crazy, they didn't have a single one this year (Jerome Kersey, Fisher, Mitch Richmond types), with the possible exception of Diaw. A guy like Marion would be incredible, but Cuban would murder him before that happened.

Good frontline help seems what is needed, if Patty stays. This team will improve from within, from Green, Diaw, Belinelli and Leonard's developments. At this point you're looking to gild the lilly a little bit.

Mr Bones
06-18-2014, 10:57 PM

He opted in to his player option. I was never impressed with him ,personally. Watched him some on Indy and the 'Cats.

His numbers aren't that great either. 43% FG, 36% 3pt, 8 ppg and 5 rpg in 30 mpg. I'd rather keep Daye.

He opted out, not in: http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/18/report-hornets-forward-josh-mcroberts-opts-out/

His assists per 48 minutes and assist to turnover ratio stats were the best of any power forward in the NBA last season: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/assists/sort/assistTurnoverRatio/seasontype/2/position/power-forwards

His 3 pt% was a respectable 36% and his 2 pt% was 51.6%. His overall FG% looks low because nearly half of his shots were three pointers.

TheGoldStandard
06-18-2014, 11:01 PM
The Spurs have room for one or two ring-chasing cagey vets. Crazy, they didn't have a single one this year (Jerome Kersey, Fisher, Mitch Richmond types), with the possible exception of Diaw. A guy like Marion would be incredible, but Cuban would murder him before that happened.

Good frontline help seems what is needed, if Patty stays. This team will improve from within, from Green, Diaw, Belinelli and Leonard's developments. At this point you're looking to gild the lilly a little bit.

Marion is a corpse

BackHome
06-18-2014, 11:06 PM

Bertrans can come as a backup SF and he is a 3 point specialist.

Mr. Body
06-18-2014, 11:12 PM
Marion is a corpse

Incorrect. He's a freak who is still producing at an advanced age. Worth a look at SF backup at least. Reduced minutes could help him be even more productive.

T Park
06-18-2014, 11:57 PM
Resign Patty, Daye and Diaw.
Sign Aminu, I really think he's got great potential, reminds me of an athletic Bruce Bowen.

If you do that, see if Bertans can come oover. If he does play him in Austin and the nights you rest the big three.

T Park
06-18-2014, 11:57 PM
Incorrect. He's a freak who is still producing at an advanced age. Worth a look at SF backup at least. Reduced minutes could help him be even more productive.

Really forgot about Marion. Marion would be great in small ball sets agains
T the Thunder. He can still defend, he rebounds, still has some gas in the tank. Can be gotten with the MLe.

Mugen
06-19-2014, 01:09 AM
Bring back Mills & Boris. Let go of Daye and Bonner.

Hopefully Bertans comes over. Otherwise, I'm good with bringing in a guy like Thabo. He looked pretty done but he's still relatively young and you know he'd revert back to a reliable 3pt shooter on the Spurs tbh :lol

I think the Spurs could use another bench body to defend 2/3s instead of 3/4s as that's what Boris does, but I'd be fine with someone like Marion too.....

FireMicoHalili
06-19-2014, 01:28 AM
Been seeing some here who have been lobbying for Aminu. Gifted and athletic yes, but no 3-ball whatsoever. Why the infatuation? Can he pass like Boris

FireMicoHalili
06-19-2014, 01:41 AM
Replace Bonner with Bertans? Betting he comes cheap or whatever. Cory still seems like a third stringer, jump shot is unreliable. How likely is it Pop drafts someone plug and play and can possibly replace Mills? Hard to find a PG acclimated to Pop's system. I'm betting Baynes receives a better offer while Ayres stays and will be next to Diaw in the pecking order.

letmk
06-19-2014, 01:50 AM
Bring back Mills & Boris. Let go of Daye and Bonner.

Hopefully Bertans comes over. Otherwise, I'm good with bringing in a guy like Thabo. He looked pretty done but he's still relatively young and you know he'd revert back to a reliable 3pt shooter on the Spurs tbh :lol

I think the Spurs could use another bench body to defend 2/3s instead of 3/4s as that's what Boris does, but I'd be fine with someone like Marion too.....

We haven't seen enough of Daye to have an educated valuation. I'd rather trade away Ayres who has got plenty of minutes.

letmk
06-19-2014, 01:51 AM
Marion is a good choice. He has made tons of money already, and should not cost much. And from I've seen, he is okay with playing behind young guys.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-19-2014, 02:14 AM
If the Spurs re-sign both Mills and Diaw I don't see them throwing full MLE money at anyone - they'd have their 9-man playoff rotation set ( 7 + 2 as per minutes played). The only way they'd even consider offering a 4-year deal and dipping into 2016 cap space would be if they're replacing one of the top-7 man rotation - Duncan, Tiago, Boris, Manu, Kawhi, Green, Parker.

ManuTastic
06-19-2014, 07:36 AM
S
Lebron will opt out, he'll call up RC and ask for the the least he could take to come and win.

Done!

xmas1997
06-19-2014, 07:48 AM

I know you were joking, but stranger things have happened.
That would be pretty amazing, but highly unlikely.

cjw
06-19-2014, 01:36 PM
Bertrans can come as a backup SF and he is a 3 point specialist.

George Hill, the gift that keeps on giving. Thanks Mr. Bird.

Shabazz
06-19-2014, 06:21 PM
Been seeing some here who have been lobbying for Aminu. Gifted and athletic yes, but no 3-ball whatsoever. Why the infatuation? Can he pass like Boris

I've been watching him since high school. My guess is that the people lobbying for him just love his athleticism, and assume anyone can perform well in the Spurs system.

FireMicoHalili
06-19-2014, 07:08 PM
I've been watching him since high school. My guess is that the people lobbying for him just love his athleticism, and assume anyone can perform well in the Spurs system.
Ooh if people can do that here I want Vesely

Mugen
06-19-2014, 07:12 PM
Patty is a lock for Philly if the Spurs don't resign him tbh. Great fit bball wise w/ a coach he loves on a team with a bunch of cap space.....

xmas1997
06-19-2014, 07:16 PM
I think they will offer Patty a fair contract for what he does and he takes it.
It might not be as much as others offer like Phil., but the lack of a Texas state income tax will make up most of the difference.

cd021
06-19-2014, 09:42 PM
I think they will offer Patty a fair contract for what he does and he takes it.
It might not be as much as others offer like Phil., but the lack of a Texas state income tax will make up most of the difference.

Project Spurs mentioned their mini mid-level of $3.2 that's what i pegged his value to be for the Spurs. I could see maybe a 2 year, $ 7 million deal with the second year a player option or a 3 year $10-12 million deal with the 3rd a player option.

If he takes the later, that could give him the opportunity to replace Parker as the starting guard (he'd be 35, coming off his 16th season) and could resign to a longer term deal as 28 year old.

cd021
06-19-2014, 09:45 PM
Ooh if people can do that here I want Vesely

I do think Vessely would be a great fit for the Spurs. Would take him over Ayers and maybe over Baynes as a 4th big on the cheap.

cd021
06-19-2014, 09:52 PM

I'd love him as more of a PF in the Spurs system, if he can tweak his shot there is know reason to believe he couldn't be a success for the Spurs. He's played SF most of his career and could fill in there as well as a fill especially useful as an extra Lebron and Durant defender.

benstanfield
06-19-2014, 11:54 PM
OKC - Where is this cap space you speak of? Amnesty Perkins and dump Thabeet, and add in the cap holds of two first rounders and they're at $59.3, or four million under the cap for 11 players and you need to count the hold for two more spots. So they'll have $3 million plus the under cap mini-midlevel ($2.6 million). If those draft picks go overseason, they'll have about $5 million plus mini-midlevel. Meanwhile, they have to replace three rotation guys in Thabo, Fisher and Perkins either with those picks or through internal improvement. They're not big FA players, plus still have to pay Perkins.

Isn't the luxury tax threshold expected to be in the ballpark of 77 million in 2014-15? That would mean if OKC amnestied perk they would have close to 16 million before they approached the luxury tax.

Also when you say "replace three rotation guys in Thabo, Fisher, and Perkins" remember that Adams is basically as good and cheap a Perk replacement as you could find, and that Thabo and Butler became literally unplayable in the series that ended OKC's season. Replace those guys with Ariza, Devin Harris, and Jordan Hill and suddenly the Spurs aren't playing 2.5 on 5 for most of every game.

xmas1997
06-20-2014, 12:04 AM
Isn't the luxury tax threshold expected to be in the ballpark of 77 million in 2014-15? That would mean if OKC amnestied perk they would have close to 16 million before they approached the luxury tax.

Also when you say "replace three rotation guys in Thabo, Fisher, and Perkins" remember that Adams is basically as good and cheap a Perk replacement as you could find, and that Thabo and Butler became literally unplayable in the series that ended OKC's season. Replace those guys with Ariza, Devin Harris, and Jordan Hill and suddenly the Spurs aren't playing 2.5 on 5 for most of every game.

Unless I am mistaken they haven't determined it yet.
For 2013-14 it was $71.748 million.

benstanfield
06-20-2014, 12:07 AM
Unless I am mistaken they haven't determined it yet.
For 2013-14 it was $71.748 million.

http://cbafaq.com/blog/?p=304

"The NBA issued new projections for the 2014-15 and 2015-16 salary cap and luxury tax thresholds. The 2014-15 salary cap is now projected to be $63.2 million and the tax level is projected to be $77.0 million. The numbers for 2015-16 are now projected to be $66.5 million and $81.0 million, respectively."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10808291/nba-salary-cap-projected-rise-nearly-5-million

"Sources told ESPN.com that all 30 teams were informed this week via league memorandum that an increase in the cap from this season's $58.6 million to $63.2 million in 2014-15 -- thanks to increased revenues -- is now expected. A corresponding rise in the luxury-tax threshold from $71.7 million to $77 million is also projected, sources said."

xmas1997
06-20-2014, 12:09 AM
http://cbafaq.com/blog/?p=304

"The NBA issued new projections for the 2014-15 and 2015-16 salary cap and luxury tax thresholds. The 2014-15 salary cap is now projected to be $63.2 million and the tax level is projected to be $77.0 million. The numbers for 2015-16 are now projected to be $66.5 million and $81.0 million, respectively."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10808291/nba-salary-cap-projected-rise-nearly-5-million

"Sources told ESPN.com that all 30 teams were informed this week via league memorandum that an increase in the cap from this season's $58.6 million to $63.2 million in 2014-15 -- thanks to increased revenues -- is now expected. A corresponding rise in the luxury-tax threshold from $71.7 million to $77 million is also projected, sources said."

Thanks.

benstanfield
06-20-2014, 12:13 AM
Thanks.

I am by no means an expert in this shit. I have no idea what happens to teams that are above the cap and below the threshold. Spurs had about 8m of "grey area" money to spend this season and they didn't. I assume there is a reason for that.

TheGoldStandard
06-20-2014, 12:21 AM
I am by no means an expert in this shit. I have no idea what happens to teams that are above the cap and below the threshold. Spurs had about 8m of "grey area" money to spend this season and they didn't. I assume there is a reason for that.

They won't amnesty him, they're not going to pay 9 Million extra for a player they're not going to get anything out of that's just how the owner operates. I could see him being shopped as an expiring tho.

benstanfield
06-20-2014, 12:23 AM
They won't amnesty him, they're not going to pay 9 Million extra for a player they're not going to get anything out of that's just how the owner operates. I could see him being shopped as an expiring tho.

If that's the case I will have zero sympathy when KD bails. Clay Bennett is worth 400 million dollars.

xmas1997
06-20-2014, 12:23 AM

* Teams above the apron cannot use the bi-annual exception.
* Teams can acquire less salary in a simultaneous trade.
* They have a smaller mid-level exception (they can only offer up to three years as opposed to teams under the tax which can offer up to 4 years).
* Starting in 2013-14 they cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade transaction.

benstanfield
06-20-2014, 12:25 AM
* Teams above the apron cannot use the bi-annual exception.
* Teams can acquire less salary in a simultaneous trade.
* They have a smaller mid-level exception (they can only offer up to three years as opposed to teams under the tax which can offer up to 4 years).
* Starting in 2013-14 they cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade transaction.

I would trade all that shit to bring back Patty and Boris along with another significant FA and be right at the threshold. Balls to the wall for 2014-15.

xmas1997
06-20-2014, 12:32 AM
I would trade all that shit to bring back Patty and Boris along with another significant FA and be right at the threshold. Balls to the wall for 2014-15.

Apron meaning lux tax threshold.
Spurs should be able to easily add Patty and Boris, sign their 1st round draft choice, and add a mid-level free agent.

BatManu20
06-20-2014, 01:00 AM
Marvin Williams is still my top choice FA if we don't re-sign Patty or if we can find a way to sign him below his market value. He'd be a perfect 3 & D guy for us behind Kawhi and he only turns 28 at the end of the month.

cjw
06-20-2014, 02:22 AM

They can afford one of those guys, not three. Just because the luxury tax is 70+ doesn't mean they'll have cap space to hit it. Point taken on Adams but depth is still awful. Ariza alone will cost the full MLE so if Thunder were to get him, they'd be adding all league minimum guys.

Bennett (like Holt with Bonner) is too cheap to use amnesty. It may seem like chump change for them, but $9 million is still $9 million

kuato
06-20-2014, 03:12 AM
Scolaaaa!!!

jesterbobman
06-20-2014, 03:35 AM

As no-one else has answered this, yes, there is a reason.
Basically, up to the Cap, teams can do whatever the F they want. Sign people to max deals, long term deals, etc.
After teams can spend some money on keeping their own guys, have the MLE(depending on if they used up cap space) and other exceptions to the cap(Minimum salary exception, bi annual exception, 1st round pick exception) that can be used to sign particular deals.
Above the tax, teams lose parts of the deals, and ability to trade (flexibility in taking on more money is reduced).

In finer details, there are ways that this is wrong, but that's the summary paragraph.

Obi Juan Kenobi
06-20-2014, 04:58 AM
Wouldn't mind seeing McRoberts since he is younger and may come more cheaper than a more established veteran ala Pau Gasol...

Richie
06-20-2014, 05:18 AM
If the cap is going to be $66.5m in the summer of 2015, we'd have the money to add a max player. That means not committing MLE money to any free agent signing beyond next year, which means not chasing any of the more popular players that could be had for an MLE level salary but for multiple years, i.e. $20m/4yr for Ariza.

I'd happily take McRoberts for the full MLE $5m/1yr and add on additional years only if they are unguaranteed or team options. As long as he can shoot the 3 with at least the same percentage as he did last year (36%) he could be useful to take Bonners minutes as the 4th big.

I'd still keep Bonner at the minimum though, teams won't be banging down the door to keep him and he knows the system, works hard and is supposedly well liked in the locker room.

CGD
06-20-2014, 05:42 AM
Isn't sefolosha available? Could be a reasonably priced back up SF. I also like Marion and AK in that slot on a year deal.

Big question is Mills of course. I'm of the belief that belli, with one year under his belt, can fill the spark plug off the bench role should Mills leave. I'd love to keep mills, but he'd be dumb not to explore getting a nice NBA contract at this point in his career.

As for a quality big, spurs are either going to have to draft him or acquire him via trade. It'd be tough via FA. Spurs biggest trade asset is splitter who is good value at his contract, especially since the amounts owed decrease over the years. The question is whether the big coming back In the trade is really an upgrade to splitter. Someone in another thread threw out Hortford, which I thought was intriguing.

The other move that needs to happen is to bring Bertans over. He can use a year to acclimate.