PDA

View Full Version : Knicks interested in Patty Mills

jkid12456
06-17-2014, 03:39 AM
http://projectspurs.com/2014-articles/report-knicks-interested-in-patty-mills.html

http://nypost.com/2014/06/16/spurs-pg-mills-on-knicks-radar/

"One day removed from nabbing the franchises fifth NBA championship, the San Antonio Spurs have three impending free agents — Matt Bonner, Boris Diaw and Patty Mills — in addition to the uncertainty around Tim Duncan’s player option and, potentially, a contract extension for Kawhi Leonard, the 22-year-old Finals MVP labeled as the face of the franchise to address in the offseason.
There’s already interest in Mills, the 6-foot guard who averaged 10.2 points on 54.3 percent shooting in the Finals. The New York Knicks, faced with the very real possibility of Carmelo Anthony leaving this offseason, are reportedly interested in signing Mills (http://nypost.com/2014/06/16/spurs-pg-mills-on-knicks-radar/)with a portion of their mini mid-level exception, according to the New York Post.
The 25-year-old Mills, one of the most vocal players on the team, may have some interest in playing in New York too.

“New York is definitely a city Mills would want to play in,’’ the New York Post source said. “He has that personality.’’
The Knicks’ mini mid-level exception, worth approximately $3.2 million, figures to be an accurate estimate of Mills’ value on the open market. Mills averaged 19.5 points per 36 minutes this season, tied for second on the team with Manu Ginobili, with a well above-average 58.8 true shooting percentage. He earned 5.6 win shares in 1,527 minutes according to Basketball Reference. (A “win” is typically worth around $1.6 million, meaning Mills produced around $8.96 million of value this season.)
Gregg Popovich gradually entrusted Mills with a larger share of the offense to rest Tony Parker and it paid dividends — the Spurs scored 109.1 points per 100 possessions in the regular season when he was on the floor and 117.6 points during the playoffs, per NBA.com.
Re-signing Diaw and Mills, second and seventh in plus/minus during the Finals respectively, remains a priority for the defending champions."

MeloHype
06-17-2014, 03:41 AM
Sign & trade for Melo imo

100%duncan
06-17-2014, 03:42 AM
http://www.trentinowine.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/fuck-off-by-nezodesign-con-cr-tica-525733.jpg

Baam
06-17-2014, 03:45 AM
All chucking lineup :

Mills
JR Smith
Melo

PÒÓCH
06-17-2014, 03:49 AM
They'll gladly over pay him.

TE
06-17-2014, 03:49 AM
http://www.trentinowine.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/fuck-off-by-nezodesign-con-cr-tica-525733.jpg
This. Fuck you Knicks. Focus on keeping your chucking star.

Please Spurs resign Mills. I have a better feeling about resigning Diaw...Mills not so much.

DJR210
06-17-2014, 03:52 AM
He would be better than 49 year old Pablo, that's for sure.

mudyez
06-17-2014, 03:56 AM
Would love to keep him and I think he will sign for less money just to stay a Spur. But if some stupid team is really going to go nuts, I'm happy for him getting the big payday just 12 months after beeing the towelwaver. His next team will surely be one of my favs, as long as Patty starts.

BTW, Patty is great and CoJo doesn't give us his insane shooting, but I could very well see CoJo as the main backup given his play in garbage time.

Hopefully he stayes...Would love to see him in Oct in Germany 7 years after witnessing him with Team Australia in Brisbane.

ezau
06-17-2014, 03:58 AM
Diaw and Mills have to be the top priority for the Spurs, especially Diaw.

mudyez
06-17-2014, 04:04 AM
They are talking about the mini midlevel exception.

Thats 3.1 mio right?

In my book Patty should be worth that to the Spurs, but should offer 2,5 first.

jkid12456
06-17-2014, 04:04 AM
Knicks are also interested in offering mills Starting PG.

siraulo23
06-17-2014, 04:06 AM
If patty gets offered anything significantly more the spurs can offer, he's gone otherwise he's staying in sa

Prime Time
06-17-2014, 04:17 AM
This is the first off-season where I don't give a fuck about signing new free-agents, I just want Diaw and Mills back.

Patty is like Gary Neal but with more awareness, consistency, quickness, and defense. He's the perfect back-up to Tony.

jkid12456
06-17-2014, 04:21 AM
Patty Mills is not even in his prime yet. He is a late bloomer.

jkid12456
06-17-2014, 04:25 AM

Thats 3.1 mio right?

2.5 million r u fkin kidding me, he is worth 4-5 mill

spursparker9
06-17-2014, 04:33 AM
lol Knicks interested?

That that the worst scenario

jkid12456
06-17-2014, 04:37 AM
Id love for Patty to stay at the spurs, but if he gets a significantly better deal then I think it is justified that he should take it. He deserves it.

The_Game
06-17-2014, 04:43 AM
If he gets gets big offer he's gone. Got to do what's right for him.

jkid12456
06-17-2014, 04:45 AM
If he gets gets big offer he's gone. Got to do what's right for him.

You niggas gonna take my AUSSIE NIGGA Dante Exum:lobt2:

Xevious
06-17-2014, 04:46 AM
He'll get multiple offers after his play in the finals. Most teams would love to have his shooting come off the bench.

will_spurs
06-17-2014, 04:56 AM
:lol @ the Knicks thinking they can get a starting PG for $3.2m a year. They definitely live in fantasy land. There's no way $3.2m is an "accurate value for Mills on the open market", and that's even less accurate when throwing in the Knicks + starting PG aspects. In any case, the Spurs would gladly match that offer.

I can imagine that an offer to be a starter in NY would be hard to say not to, but they'd have to throw at least $5m at him.

dg7md
06-17-2014, 04:58 AM
I figured this would happen. Patty might have to leave because of the absurd offers teams like the Knicks, Nets, and Sixers might offer him.

Patty should stay here for a little discount because it's apparent he will become our starting point once Parker officially gets worn out from the starting gig. Not to mention we have a legit chance to be title contenders for the near future.

hsxvvd
06-17-2014, 04:59 AM
Pay him fairly. No need to match ridiculous offers... but I sure hope we keep him.

RC should bring a JJ Barea or Neal in to talk to Patty about cashing in and ending up in shit situations.

-21-
06-17-2014, 05:03 AM
Obviously it would be great if Patty stays but I wouldn't be upset at him if he leaves. He's earned the chance to make more money and there is no one more deserving. He will forever be a Spur no matter where he goes.

Nathan89
06-17-2014, 05:16 AM
Spursfan gonna be real angry when Patty signs with the Lakers.

Spursfanfromafar
06-17-2014, 05:22 AM
:lol @ the Knicks thinking they can get a starting PG for $3.2m a year. They definitely live in fantasy land. There's no way $3.2m is an "accurate value for Mills on the open market", and that's even less accurate when throwing in the Knicks + starting PG aspects. In any case, the Spurs would gladly match that offer.

I can imagine that an offer to be a starter in NY would be hard to say not to, but they'd have to throw at least $5m at him.

^This.

NY Media is generally stupid. If they think NY can lure Mills with $3.2 million into their sorry-ass team, they are sorely mistaken.

Malik Hairston
06-17-2014, 05:22 AM
Spursfan gonna be real angry when Patty signs with the Lakers.

I wouldn't blame him or be angry, he would probably be their best player, at this point:lol..

Nathan89
06-17-2014, 05:26 AM
I wouldn't blame him or be angry, he would probably be their best player, at this point:lol..

Agreed, I mentioned that because that would be a decent move for the Lakers. Especially when you have 10mil locked up in their 2 time regular season MVP:lol

hyhy
06-17-2014, 05:27 AM
go there and never win a ring again, if thats what u wan your patty to do

Boomersgold
06-17-2014, 05:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auNcvL_mGRw

I don't see why he'd want to play for Derek Fisher

100%duncan
06-17-2014, 05:43 AM
And also :lol 3.2m

spurs would offer him more than that

99 Problems
06-17-2014, 05:47 AM
No way he goes to Knicks for mini. They got deeeep pockets over there. They kid themselves. :rollin

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-17-2014, 05:52 AM
Fair value for a midget combo guard off the bench. I think the Spurs keep him at around that same price.

SupremeGuy
06-17-2014, 06:10 AM
I think we resign both him and Diaw to fair prices.

That look on Melo or JR Smith's face after Patty starts taking away "his" shots. :lol

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-17-2014, 06:49 AM
The most the Knicks can offer is the 3 mil mini MLE. If that is the case, Mills is definitely coming back.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-17-2014, 06:51 AM
You niggas gonna take my AUSSIE NIGGA Dante Exum:lobt2:

That would be the Magic.

r-nice
06-17-2014, 06:53 AM
Who would want to play for the Knicks?

DMX7
06-17-2014, 07:23 AM
We're not stupid enough to overpay him as much as the Knicks or another team may. I love Patty, but he is replaceable and CJ5 is next in line if he leaves IMHO.

itzsoweezee
06-17-2014, 07:43 AM
The Knicks don't have any money to make an outrageous offer to Patty. I don't see how this could possibly happen.

jag
06-17-2014, 07:44 AM

Exactly

spursparker9
06-17-2014, 08:02 AM
Does Miami got money to offer Patty?

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-17-2014, 08:13 AM

No, they have only the mini mid level. I did a breakout in another post of who could offer more than 5 mil a year to Patty and the Mavs were the only playoff team.

Every team except the Bucks and Hornets already have capable starting PGs that make at least 7+ mil a year. Philly have ROY Carter-Williams as their starter and Maynor as their backup under contract.

I see teams throwing a Barrea type deal at Patty and I believe the Spurs will match.

Uriel
06-17-2014, 08:14 AM
Well. Hopefully Cory Joseph is ready to take over backup PG duties.

DMC
06-17-2014, 08:19 AM
Funny that at the lower end of the salary range, everyone seems to be in agreement that a player should take money over title chances. However, at the upper end, people seem to disagree that Lebron should go where he can make the most money instead of going where he can have the best title chances.

DMC
06-17-2014, 08:20 AM
Miami doesn't need more outside shooting small guys. They need a quality big, some cap room and a coach. In fact, maybe just cap room. They have too much tied up in too little.

Mel_13
06-17-2014, 08:21 AM

The same money that NY has. That mini-MLE isn't going to be enough to get Patty to leave San Antonio. The full MLE is another question.

baseline bum
06-17-2014, 08:26 AM
Figure it'll take about 3 years, $20 million to bring Boris back, and 4 years, $18 million to bring back Patty. With no more 6-7 year contracts I think the Spurs have a great shot to retain both.

Guajalote
06-17-2014, 08:33 AM
Don't the Spurs have his Bird rights?

Spurs9
06-17-2014, 08:36 AM

:crofl, thats the video with the ref on top of fisher :lol

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-17-2014, 08:45 AM

Yes, along with Diaw's and Bonner. Spurs can resign all these players and go over the cap and still have the MLE and BAE. Spurs are at 53mil right now. The cap is 63mil this year and the Tax level is 77mil. So the Spurs have a 17 mil cushion to resign Mills, Diaw, maybe Bonner and still have the MLE and BAE available without going over the tax level.

Spurs could replace Bonner with Bertans. But I think the Spurs will release Daye if they decide to sign Bertans this offseason. Bonner spelled Duncan for many a minutes this season to keep him fresh for the playoffs. People tend to forget Bonner's season contributions and primarily focus on his playoff play or lack thereof.

bd_monster
06-17-2014, 08:46 AM
Honestly the Spurs have been racking in the Checks lately. I would really like to keep everyone even if it meant paying a luxury tax for one year. After next year Tim and Manu come off the books and bring the payroll back down. But damn they have paid t before...what better time then now!

will_spurs
06-17-2014, 08:50 AM
Funny that at the lower end of the salary range, everyone seems to be in agreement that a player should take money over title chances. However, at the upper end, people seem to disagree that Lebron should go where he can make the most money instead of going where he can have the best title chances.

That sounds logical to me. At the lower end, a player isn't really affecting his team's chances all that much, and with little in the way of endorsements and big fat contracts, has to be putting a lot of thought into being financially secure. At the higher end, guys like Lebron are already filthy rich and the only thing that should count for them is to establish their legacy.

Plus Patty is already a champion anyway. He can focus on $$$ now.

lefty
06-17-2014, 08:56 AM
No way we are letting our #1 PG leave

UZER
06-17-2014, 08:57 AM
Phil still trolling Pop

KawhiLeonard
06-17-2014, 09:13 AM
State tax in NY is absurd, none in Texas this is a huge advantage for the spurs. That being said cojo can fill in just fine

OrEmuN
06-17-2014, 09:21 AM
They can't be getting Mills with 3.2 mil mini MLE
Spurs can and will match that easily.

I am not even sure they can do a sign-and-trade, given their cap status
If yes, I am pretty sure that Spurs FO will get a couple of lottery picks from Knicks, which would be very useful, giving Spur's future needs

scanry
06-17-2014, 09:28 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Patty takes over the starting PG job in 2 - 3 years from Parker. Diaw is our priority though.

BTW does Portland have any cap. If they do, i expect them to overpay.

tholdren
06-17-2014, 09:29 AM
Patty is worth 4-6 million dollars. If the spurs are within reason, he will stay. Why would he go to the Knicks, even for a million more? Doesnt make sense. Spurs will pay Mills and Diaw.

Andthentherewas21
06-17-2014, 09:35 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Patty takes over the starting PG job in 2 - 3 years from Parker. Diaw is our priority though.

BTW does Portland have any cap. If they do, i expect them to overpay.

They are just over if Mo Williams opts in or just under if he opts out. They could probably free up some cap-room through a trade or just use one of their options to try to pry him away. Not sure what his departure from Portland was like though which could raise or lower his price for them.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-17-2014, 09:36 AM
The likes of Derek Fisher, Ron Harper, Danny Ainge, etc. etc. shows that you don't need to be Magic, Stockton, Kidd type of passer and distributor if your team as a whole has great passers.

That is why Patty does so well in the Spurs system. He is a good passer (not great), he can run the offense but w limitations. He doesn't turn the ball over, and him being in the top 10 in steals per 36 is impressive as well.

People forget, Parker was not a good passer when he first entered the league. TBH, Patty was just as good as Parker was at this point of his career at point of his career. Patty is the perfect PG in the Spurs System b/c it doesn't require him to be the primary play maker.

Like Pop said in Game 4 mini movie from NBA.com, EVERYBODY'S A PG.

Baam
06-17-2014, 09:49 AM
Patty is worth 4-6 million dollars. If the spurs are within reason, he will stay. Why would he go to the Knicks, even for a million more? Doesnt make sense. Spurs will pay Mills and Diaw.

To start...

People don't get that there very few openings to become a starting PG... If he can prove he can be a starter that'd change his whole career... He hasn't and won't prove that in San Antonio.

Spur|n|Austin
06-17-2014, 09:52 AM
Knicks can only offer him mini mid-level exception...

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-17-2014, 10:00 AM
To start...

People don't get that there very few openings to become a starting PG... If he can prove he can be a starter that'd change his whole career... He hasn't and won't prove that in San Antonio.

If you look at the staring positions available, you probably have the Heat (no way Mills go there), Knicks, Bucks and Hornets as teams needing a PG (taking into account the Magic draft Exum and Lakers draft Smart w Nash staring still). Mills is not a type of guy to go to a team to just start and his whole team sucks, especially since the Spurs are more than likely will match any offers to the MLE.

Mills loves his teammates. Mills gets minutes, he gets recognition (Pop even called him the 6th man off the bench this year), he gets respect with the Spurs. With Tony age and health being a question the last couple of years, the Spurs need Mills, plain and simple.

Mr. Body
06-17-2014, 10:18 AM
Closer the price goes past $4million/year and toward $5million, the less likely the Spurs retain. But he's a major weapon, not just a Speedy Claxton type, and I expect the Spurs to opent he wallet a bit to keep him.

ducks
06-17-2014, 10:20 AM
there is some belief that this was patty's first good year and he has been in the nba since 2009
he is the product of the spurs season
can he be this good next year with no manu on the court with him

Aztecfan03
06-17-2014, 10:22 AM
http://projectspurs.com/2014-articles/report-knicks-interested-in-patty-mills.html

http://nypost.com/2014/06/16/spurs-pg-mills-on-knicks-radar/

Haha Mills might have interest in playing in New York because someone from the NY Post thinks he would. Shitty articles.

SPurs would probably match the 3.2 mil but we can't offer him a starting position.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-17-2014, 10:34 AM
there is some belief that this was patty's first good year and he has been in the nba since 2009
he is the product of the spurs season
can he be this good next year with no manu on the court with him

All I have to say, is Mills have avg 20 ppg when the big 3 has sat out the past 3 years and the Spurs I believe have won all those games.

He avg. 15 ppg in 22 mpg when Manu was out in Jan-Feb. The first game Manu came back, Parker was out, and Mills scored 25 pts and 5 ast 1 TO in 27 minutes against the Clips at LA.

Tell me, who in Free Agency can replace that kind of production for MLE. Pretty much NO ONE.

kobyz
06-17-2014, 10:41 AM
With what money?!? please don't start to bring here bs rumors!

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-17-2014, 10:42 AM
With what money?!? please don't start to bring here bs rumor!

HE'S ALIVE. So how are you feeling these days Kobyz.

downunder
06-17-2014, 11:09 AM
The spurs goy you cheaply for a year, you have your ring patty so take the highest offer

Mugen
06-17-2014, 11:14 AM
Figure it'll take about 3 years, $20 million to bring Boris back, and 4 years, $18 million to bring back Patty. With no more 6-7 year contracts I think the Spurs have a great shot to retain both.

That number for Patty seems about right. I'm still not sure about Boris tbh. He's one of the most versatile players in the league but i think some GMs will question his effectiveness outside of the system and Pop and be wary of throwing a big contract at him.

Hell, I'm pretty sure he's gonna Horry the regular season for the next couple of years for the Spurs if they bring him back.

ducks
06-17-2014, 11:15 AM
All I have to say, is Mills have avg 20 ppg when the big 3 has sat out the past 3 years and the Spurs I believe have won all those games.

He avg. 15 ppg in 22 mpg when Manu was out in Jan-Feb. The first game Manu came back, Parker was out, and Mills scored 25 pts and 5 ast 1 TO in 27 minutes against the Clips at LA.

Tell me, who in Free Agency can replace that kind of production for MLE. Pretty much NO ONE.
I got that info from sa newspaper and some western scout was having concerns

there is also concerns diaw only wants to play in sa not anywhere else

Cry Havoc
06-17-2014, 11:32 AM
Just for comparison, Matt Bonner's expiring is 3.9 million. We obviously drastically overpaid for him, but Mills is probably worth right around 4, give or take a few hundred thousand.

I'm sorry, I LOVE Patty, but I can't see him being worth 6 mil a year in this guard loaded league. He's a fantastic player, but he hasn't shown the ability to grind out games over the season and still be a huge factor come playoff time.

Hope we keep them both. Patty would be a bargain under 3.5 mil. Anything more than 4.5 and you're starting to take up serious cap room.

baseline bum
06-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Just for comparison, Matt Bonner's expiring is 3.9 million. We obviously drastically overpaid for him, but Mills is probably worth right around 4, give or take a few hundred thousand.

I'm sorry, I LOVE Patty, but I can't see him being worth 6 mil a year in this guard loaded league. He's a fantastic player, but he hasn't shown the ability to grind out games over the season and still be a huge factor come playoff time.

Hope we keep them both. Patty would be a bargain under 3.5 mil. Anything more than 4.5 and you're starting to take up serious cap room.

I'm fine with overpaying for three years on top of next to get Patty for that one last run next season. The Spurs have needed a backup point so desperately until this season, and not having one cost them titles in both 2012 and 2013. Not like the Spurs are going to be competing for titles anyways when Tim & Manu retire, which has a good chance of happening at the end of the 2015 season. The Spurs are in no real danger of hitting the luxury tax for 2014-15 since they won't need to pay Kawhi market value until 2015-16 when either Tim & Manu retire or likely take futher paycuts on their next deals.

Cry Havoc
06-17-2014, 11:41 AM
I'm fine with overpaying for three years on top of next to get Patty for that one last run next season. The Spurs have needed a backup point so desperately until this season, and not having one cost them titles in both 2012 and 2013. Not like the Spurs are going to be competing for titles anyways when Tim & Manu retire, which has a good chance of happening at the end of the 2015 season. The Spurs are in no real danger of hitting the luxury tax for 2014-15 since they won't need to pay Kawhi market value until 2015-16 when either Tim & Manu retire or likely take futher paycuts on their next deals.

That's a good point. Though I'd like to see us add a 10th player who can come in and contribute, particularly someone like McRoberts or Gasol. It would make this insanely good team even better, and give us a LOT of depth protection against any injuries.

ajh18
06-17-2014, 11:44 AM
If you look at the staring positions available, you probably have the Heat (no way Mills go there), Knicks, Bucks and Hornets as teams needing a PG (taking into account the Magic draft Exum and Lakers draft Smart w Nash staring still). Mills is not a type of guy to go to a team to just start and his whole team sucks, especially since the Spurs are more than likely will match any offers to the MLE.

Mills loves his teammates. Mills gets minutes, he gets recognition (Pop even called him the 6th man off the bench this year), he gets respect with the Spurs. With Tony age and health being a question the last couple of years, the Spurs need Mills, plain and simple.

Both the Heat and Lakers scare me as destinations for him. I could see the Lakers drafting a Cody Powers, Aaron Gordon, or Julius Randle, and offering Patty the starting PG spot next to Kobe, offering the glitz of LA and a direct flight to Australia.

I think the Heat definitely make a run at Patty and/or Neal to provide some additional shooting at the PG spot, particularly if Ray Allen retires and since the Heat PG doesn't handle quite as much as on other teams.

Those are the two that worry me most, and I think Mills is more important than most realize as instance offense off the bench and a reliable backup to Tony. I'm not ready to trust CoJo with that job full-time, and worry the Spurs will undervalue Mills because they know they still have Joseph on the roster.

illusioNtEk
06-17-2014, 11:55 AM
fuck fisher!

spurs should do everything in there power to keep patty.

G-Dawgg
06-17-2014, 12:29 PM
Savage competitors like Mills do not grow on trees. It is imperative that the Spurs re-sign him. Not only does he shoot well, but he plays hard...

will_spurs
06-17-2014, 12:33 PM

That just means everything should be fine:
- give Bonner's salary to Patty ($3.9m)
- use Diaw's ($4.7m) + Patty's ($1.1m) current salaries to resign Diaw ($5.8m)
- use whatever spare change there is to sign Bonner to the vet minimum if he wants to come back, or give him a FO/coaching position

G-Dawgg
06-17-2014, 12:39 PM
The Knicks are a hopeless mess. Would Patty want to toil in the misery of losing team in shambles for a bit more cash or could we just give him a longer term deal since he's still super young?

Cry Havoc
06-17-2014, 01:37 PM
That just means everything should be fine:
- give Bonner's salary to Patty ($3.9m)
- use Diaw's ($4.7m) + Patty's ($1.1m) current salaries to resign Diaw ($5.8m)
- use whatever spare change there is to sign Bonner to the vet minimum if he wants to come back, or give him a FO/coaching position

A bit steep for Diaw for me, but he's worth it. I'm just hoping we can sign Patty for $3m, Diaw for $5m, and then make a run at a very serviceable 10th player to really make our team ridiculously deep. It would be fun to switch around our starters and bench players for a game to give our starters a breather and let our 2nd 5 build a 20 point lead by halftime against some of the other top teams in the league. :lol

Chomag
06-17-2014, 01:43 PM
If you were a young player would you pass up the opportunity to be a starter if it's offered? Its kind of the same way it was with coach Bud, and Brett Brown. I would hate to see him go but I also would totally understand if he does.

DMC
06-17-2014, 01:49 PM

Matt earned all his money in the Thunder series by spreading the floor. He didn't have to really do anything.

littlecoyotecoin
06-17-2014, 02:40 PM

Yes, they supposedly do.

will_spurs
06-17-2014, 02:42 PM
A bit steep for Diaw for me, but he's worth it. I'm just hoping we can sign Patty for $3m, Diaw for $5m, and then make a run at a very serviceable 10th player to really make our team ridiculously deep. It would be fun to switch around our starters and bench players for a game to give our starters a breather and let our 2nd 5 build a 20 point lead by halftime against some of the other top teams in the league. :lol

Actually I feel quite a few teams would consider $6m for Diaw quite cheap. He was the runner-up Finals MVP and creates so many match-up headaches for the opponent... I believe he could easily get paid in the $8-9m range elsewhere. He wanted to play for the Spurs so he signed a 2y contract for whatever the Spurs could give him. He'll probably negotiate a bit harder this time, while still being ready to take a paycut to play with Tony and have a shot at more championships.

Re: the serviceable 10th player, I think the Spurs should try to trade Ayres. He's actually a decent end of the bench big. Maybe the Spurs could get an underperforming SF whose defensive ceiling hasn't been noticed by most scouts yet (obviously I don't have a name to put forward, I'm just waiting for the FO to amaze me yet again :D)

SpursFan86
06-17-2014, 02:44 PM
Not gonna lie, I could definitely see Patty getting Jarrett Jack type money ($6.3 million/year) to be a 6th man for some other team. I really hope he sticks with us for $3-4 million, though. Not only would we miss his on-court play, but he's one of those glue guys in the locker room that just improves the overall morale of the team.

ironman2886
06-17-2014, 02:48 PM
If Patty leaves it's because he is wants to be the starting PG. The money has to be very significant too for another team to steal him from the Spurs. Cost of living and state taxes would just even out most likely with a minor pay raise in another city.

MultiTroll
06-17-2014, 02:52 PM
Absolutely!
Btw, at :18 to :20 could we get a blow up made of the ref mounting Derek Fisher? Would make a fitting tribute to his legacy tbh.

xmas1997
06-17-2014, 03:03 PM
I hope a Mills comes back, the Spurs could use him.
Plus I think he needs more time to mature before becoming a starter.

thekingrobert
06-17-2014, 03:04 PM

Thats 3.1 mio right?

With no state tax i'd take the 2.5 instead of 3.1

Russ
06-17-2014, 03:37 PM
go there and never win a ring again, if thats what u wan your patty to do

Easy for us to say, but if he gets a lot more money elsewhere, he has to take it.

I think Mills may be gone but I'm pretty sure Boris is staying.

xmas1997
06-17-2014, 03:45 PM
Easy for us to say, but if he gets a lot more money elsewhere, he has to take it.

I think Mills may be gone but I'm pretty sure Boris is staying.

I am not so sure he leaves. There are emotional reasons for him to stay here now, and Patty seems to be an emotional player.

baseline bum
06-17-2014, 03:53 PM
If you were a young player would you pass up the opportunity to be a starter if it's offered? Its kind of the same way it was with coach Bud, and Brett Brown. I would hate to see him go but I also would totally understand if he does.

Worked well for Speedy Claxton. Damn if the Spurs had him in 04-06.

baseline bum
06-17-2014, 03:59 PM
Not gonna lie, I could definitely see Patty getting Jarrett Jack type money ($6.3 million/year) to be a 6th man for some other team. I really hope he sticks with us for $3-4 million, though. Not only would we miss his on-court play, but he's one of those glue guys in the locker room that just improves the overall morale of the team.

Is it crazy that I think that kind of offer would be worth matching? Dude had an 18.8 PER this season.

davidbowie
06-17-2014, 04:09 PM
everyone is staying!

Slomo
06-17-2014, 04:25 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/Slomo/Fischer-Ref-Horsey.gif

xmas1997
06-17-2014, 04:29 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if everyone stayed now that they won it all, many of them for the first time in their lives.
That is a pretty emotional occasion that money cannot replace.

peacemaker885
06-17-2014, 04:45 PM
Patty is undecided. Check out today's Media Availability videos in nba.com

703 Spurz
06-17-2014, 04:49 PM
Patty is undecided. Check out today's Media Availability videos in nba.com

I saw that about 10 minutes ago. To me it means he's probably going to look at other offers first before making any decisions. No free agent at this point will come out and guarantee he's coming back.

Mr. Body
06-17-2014, 04:51 PM
Dumb to say he's going to stay. Don't negotiate against yourself.

james evans
06-17-2014, 05:39 PM
patty hearst(mills) lives off those wide open 3's with us. some games he shoots as many as 5 or 6 of those and nobody complains. with hardaway, smith, and melo on his team, he'll be lucky to get 5 or 6 of those per month. but if we short change him, he should leave. it's about his financial stability than making the fans and owners happy. we can't be mad at him for it. if your job asked u to take a lower pay than work elsewhere, many of you would tell them to "fuk off"

SpursFan86
06-17-2014, 05:44 PM
Is it crazy that I think that kind of offer would be worth matching? Dude had an 18.8 PER this season.

I don't know...I'm torn. On one hand, I don't really think he's good enough to warrant that big of a paycheck. However his personality fits this team perfectly, and as I said before, he's a great glue guy. Someone on here said they wouldn't mind overpaying him if it meant giving us the best chance at one last ring, and I sort of agree with that. $6 million is pretty steep though.

Out of curiosity, how much better do y'all think Patty can get? He's still young, but what parts of his game could improve? His size will always keep him from being a great defender. Ballhandling/playmaking aren't typically things that you dramatically improve after being in the league...or at least I'm having trouble recalling players who have done so.

bigfan
06-17-2014, 06:22 PM
It is a business. He will certainly be offered more money to play elsewhere and if he decides to move on Im still happy for him. He did his fair share earning this ring. I do hope he decides to stay though.

ducks
06-17-2014, 06:26 PM
question for spurs to ask themselves can they find someone else for the same that provides the same cheaper then 6.3 or what he is asking
mills saves tp alot of wear and tear and kepted his minutes in the low 30's without him in 40?

spot2180
06-17-2014, 06:45 PM
I want Patty to stick around, but he may go. That being said, I liked what I saw out of Joseph, and I feel pretty good about his development since joining the Spurs. He's fearless and has a good handle on the system. He needs to strengthen his 3, but his mid range shot is good. He plays pretty decent defense too.

Budkin
06-17-2014, 06:51 PM
This article is total bullshit. They don't even have a source.

PingPong
06-17-2014, 06:56 PM
It's up to you, Patty...

Do you prefer THIS?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqOWWvvCYAE5DAO.jpg

Or a ride with JR Smith?

http://i.imgur.com/UxQIkVM.jpg

SouthernFried
06-17-2014, 07:05 PM
If Mills leave, give Corey even more minutes. I think he can develop given time and instruction from Pop...and I bet he has a Fire in his belly to prove it too. Just like Patty did this year.

TheyCallMePro
06-17-2014, 10:13 PM
The Knicks are only going to offer him the mini-mid level exception at 3.2 million a year??? They're not going to poach him from the Spurs with THAT, especially considering income and state tax in New York takes an automatic 40% off of his salary. Not to mention the crazy living expenses. And heck, the Spurs will pay him 3.2 million a year without even batting an eye. This isn't happening. Next.

RD2191
06-17-2014, 10:17 PM
Not trying to hate but Mills is a bit of a chucker. Most of the wide open looks he gets on this team are a product of the system and great ball movement, tbh. I could really see him struggling on another team, just look at Neal. If Patty is smart he will stay with the Spurs and possibly ring a couple more times.

cd021
06-17-2014, 10:39 PM
2.5 million r u fkin kidding me, he is worth 4-5 mill
thats a overpay. Robinson only for $4 million over two years after a great run with the Bulls. I'd think a $10 million over 3 years with the 3rd year, a player option.

The Knicks would be crazy to offer 5 million per year unless its to deter the Spurs.

therealtruth
06-18-2014, 12:09 AM
The system really fits him. He can go somewhere else and not fit in as well.

HI-FI
06-18-2014, 12:14 AM
I wouldn't blame Patty if he left for a great offer, but hope he sticks around. He brings great energy to the team, is a perfect complement to Parker, and came up huge in the Finals. I like CoJo as well, but hopefully they can get the band back together.

spurs1990
06-18-2014, 12:51 AM
I'll buy a road Knicks jersey if Mills ends up there.

jkid12456
06-18-2014, 01:03 AM
This is the begginning. There are currently 4 other teams interested in Patty Mills from reports.

spursparker9
06-18-2014, 01:06 AM
I love Patty to stay, but if he leave then we still got Cory.

BatManu20
06-18-2014, 01:09 AM
Don't do it Patty!

Realistically though, if any team offers him $5 Million+, he's gone. You can't fault him if he does, either. Gotta strike while the iron is hot. He likely never gets that offer again. It will suck to see him go though.

T Park
06-18-2014, 01:27 AM
To have a chance at repeating, Mills and Diaw have to be back. Joseph while an underrated player, doesn't ful full the SG role next to Manu that well.

will_spurs
06-18-2014, 03:17 AM
Not trying to hate but Mills is a bit of a chucker. Most of the wide open looks he gets on this team are a product of the system and great ball movement, tbh. I could really see him struggling on another team, just look at Neal. If Patty is smart he will stay with the Spurs and possibly ring a couple more times.

Taking wide open shots doesn't make anybody a chucker. It makes them a smart player :lol

Patty is not afraid to call his own number at times, and he sank a fair number of contested shots. He's streaky in a positive sense: he doesn't pull a disappearing act like Green (especially on the road) but instead provides instant offense in spurts that Pop can rely on. I don't think he can sustain this kind of offensive production over really long stretches in a game, or over a whole season, but the Spurs don't need that from him.

On top of that he's a great teammate, cheerful and motivated, a decent passer and a pesky defender. I hope he does the smart thing and signs another contract with the Spurs. At the same time I understand that he can't just tell the Spurs he'll sign for whatever they want. It's only fair that he tries to get the best contract he can by appearing indecisive and exploring other opportunities.

TheGreatYacht
06-18-2014, 11:21 AM
http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1327406******=40

Knicks fans scared to get Mills because of how Hill, Barea, and Neal ended up

UZER
06-18-2014, 11:39 AM
KD had it wrong...Mills is the system player, not Kawhi.

Where else is mills gonna get so many damn open looks? You think the Knicks are gonna share the ball with memo and JR on that team?

Strategic
06-18-2014, 11:47 AM

Where else is mills gonna get so many damn open looks? You think the Knicks are gonna share the ball with memo and JR on that team?:ace

superbigtime
06-18-2014, 12:00 PM

Exactly. From Coach Pop to "Coach Fisher" ? ... yuck.

superbigtime
06-18-2014, 12:06 PM

This. He oughtta stay for 2 or 3 more years. He will have an increased role, spell Tony more minutes as TP progresses into his 30s, and he can go search for gold after that... plus I doubt the Spurs give him a crappy contract offer because he is beloved by the organization and the City of SA. spurs won't lowball Patty. He should give himself the chance to repeat and ring again. He can check out free agency again after 2 or 3 years when Timmy hangs em up. He will never ever have another team like this and that is worth more than just $. He is right to look but would be wise to stay as long as the Spurs offer is fair, which I expect.

letmk
06-18-2014, 12:26 PM
If I were Mills, I would think about long time rather this next contract only. It seems a huge difference now between $10M/3 years (a reasonable Spurs offer) and $16M/4 years (potential offers from other teams). He is not yet 26, and he will less than 30 by then. If he plays poorly for a bad team, he might be out of NBA even before the end of his next contract. But playing for the Spurs and going deep in the playoffs, he can get another 3-4 year contract.

Plus, his biggest strength is his shooting. But he still lacks the passing skills and vision. He can learn that under Pop and Manu, which is invaluable to his own progress. This would be very critical if he ever wants to lead his country to a better result in the International basketball.

letmk
06-18-2014, 12:29 PM
But of course, if somebody throws him the full MLE, go for it by all means.

BlackSilver
06-18-2014, 12:29 PM

Where else is mills gonna get so many damn open looks? You think the Knicks are gonna share the ball with memo and JR on that team?

Melo is gone anyway...

I disagree that Mills is a system player. How did he become the leading scorer at the Olympics? Dude can shoot, and much more consistently than Neal. Diaw is really the system player in the sense that he can only excel like this with the Spurs.

spursfan4ever
06-18-2014, 12:53 PM
I disagree that Mills is a system player. How did he become the leading scorer at the Olympics? Dude can shoot, and much more consistently than Neal. Diaw is really the system player in the sense that he can only excel like this with the Spurs.

Pop's former coach, Brett Brown, coached the Australian NT during the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. As I recall, Patty talked about how Brett Brown incorporated the "Spurs System" with the NT which caused Patty to be interested in signing with the Spurs that summer. So, Patty is a system player.

BlackSilver
06-18-2014, 01:16 PM
Pop's former coach, Brett Brown, coached the Australian NT during the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. As I recall, Patty talked about how Brett Brown incorporated the "Spurs System" with the NT which caused Patty to be interested in signing with the Spurs that summer. So, Patty is a system player.

When people say that X is a system player, I assume they mean that the player's numbers are inflated because they play in a certain system that affords more and better looks. Who here can say with a straight face that Patty wouldn't average 18 ppg as a starting point guard on ANY team? IMO, Diaw and Bonner and Green can only perform to their current level with the Spurs. Those are the system players. Kawhi is not.

Not to say that Patty and Kawhi don't thrive in the Spurs' system. They do, and I hope they stay. But that doesn't mean they can ONLY perform--aka put up gaudy stats--in the Spurs system. That fails the eye test.

Aztecfan03
06-18-2014, 01:30 PM
To have a chance at repeating, Mills and Diaw have to be back. Joseph while an underrated player, doesn't ful full the SG role next to Manu that well.

If we get a small forward, maybe we can have belli, manu, backup small forward or play green with manu sometimes.

ironman2886
06-18-2014, 01:33 PM
Mills creates his own shot, attacks the basket and finishes well. He's excellent on the fast break because of his speed. Mills is a SG though. He's not really looking to pass. He's a scorer. I do see similarities to Gary Neal. Mills is better defensively by a small margin. Overall, Mills is a gifted shooter, brings tons of energy on the court, as well when he's on the bench. I don't know how he'll do as a starting PG.

MarCowMar
06-18-2014, 01:44 PM
Mills is better defensively by a small margin.

Mills' speed and talent for taking charges puts him far above Neal on D.

letmk
06-18-2014, 01:50 PM

This. Mills is by no means a good defender, but at least he can stay in front of players, which is huge in the Spurs system. If Neal were to defend LeBron, he would have dunked on every possession. While Mills forces LeBron shooting over him --- granted, LeBron's 3-pointer shooting was quite good during the finals.

Aztecfan03
06-18-2014, 01:51 PM

I think they overrate what Neal was here.

Spur|n|Austin
06-18-2014, 01:51 PM
This is the begginning. There are currently 4 other teams interested in Patty Mills from reports.

Wanna share these "reports"?

poeticism707
06-18-2014, 01:55 PM

:rollin:rollin:rollin

On a serious note Spurs,

anything up to 5m,

and you RESIGN PATTY!

All these wasted years of watching

scrub Bonner "spread the floor,"

and as soon we win a title with

legit pieces like Diaw and Patty,

if we let them go,

it would be beyod retarded.

Brazil
06-18-2014, 01:56 PM

made me laugh:

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/styles/realgm_blue/imageset/icon_post_target.gif#29 (http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=40086135#p40086135) Re: OT: Krabby Patty as our new starting poin
Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:19 am by gavran (http://forums.realgm.com/boards/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=36083)He is going to get trade for a mid to late first round pick, and the Spurs will draft the next Ginobili.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-18-2014, 01:59 PM
newsflash: the Spurs are NOT interested

Chinook
06-18-2014, 02:28 PM

Neal's best defensive attribute is actually his abilty to draw charges, but Gary does so with anticipation in help defense, while Patty does it on his man using quickness to beat them to the spot.

Defensively, I'd say the rankings would be Pattu, Gary then Marco.

BillMc
06-18-2014, 02:33 PM

This. Though one wonders if Melo will be there next year to hog the ball.

The best place for Mills (besides the Spurs) would actually be Miami, where LeBron can play point forward and Patty can spot up on offense, but guard opposing point guards on defense.

Don't want to lose Mills but somebody's bound to extend an offer the Spurs won't want to match.

mandel17
06-18-2014, 03:17 PM
Would love to keep him and I think he will sign for less money just to stay a Spur.

He won't take less money to stay a Spur. Mills' value may never be higher than it is right now. He seems intelligent enough to realize that. Unless the Spurs have changed their philosophy of allowing role players leave, I expect him to be wearing a new jersey next year, with the hope that he can come back to the Spurs at some point.

SpursDynasty
06-18-2014, 03:22 PM
Patty Mills will probably leave, as he avoided answering whether or not he'd be back next season after the win Sunday. It'll just be another Speedy Claxton scenario or Jerome James (Sonics) scenario, have a breakout playoff performance, go to a lesser team for more money, then never be heard from again and have a nothing career.

Chomag
06-18-2014, 03:27 PM
He won't take less money to stay a Spur. Mills' value may never be higher than it is right now. He seems intelligent enough to realize that. Unless the Spurs have changed their philosophy of allowing role players leave, I expect him to be wearing a new jersey next year, with the hope that he can come back to the Spurs at some point.

This! And this is what I have been trying to explain, but some are having trouble looking past the homer glasses. Most likely this is at the highest peak of market value that Patty will ever be and he may never have another chance at a high mil contract. Im sure his agent has explained this to Him and Patty seems like a intelligent guy and he would be wise to walk for the right offer. Like I said I would hate to see him go but I would completely understand if he does.

mclinejr
06-18-2014, 07:01 PM
I really appreciate Patty's energy off the bench. I'll miss that if he decides to go.

Baam
06-18-2014, 07:05 PM
Patty Mills will probably leave, as he avoided answering whether or not he'd be back next season after the win Sunday. It'll just be another Speedy Claxton scenario or Jerome James (Sonics) scenario, have a breakout playoff performance, go to a lesser team for more money, then never be heard from again and have a nothing career.

None of the free agents answered... Boris didn't either... You can't show your hand or you're just asking to be lowballed...