PDA

View Full Version : Translation: New Manu Article 6/17/14

ElNono
06-17-2014, 12:01 PM
We played like a Superteam

SAN ANTONIO.- What I experienced was an unique moment, for a number of reasons: it's been a while since we experienced it, because we were spoiled when we started playing together and we won three rings in the first five years. Even though this one brought as many joy, pride and passion, when you experienced so many frustrations in-between and specially after what happened last season, it makes this championship special. Because what happened last season wasn't just difficult for me, playing that Game 6 horribly, but it was also difficult for Tim, Tony, Pop...

I had dinner with them after that happened, and the faces, the feelings, the emotions, the frustration, the fact we couldn't get a couple of plays off our heads, it was with us throughout the summer. We had the ideal redemption. You couldn't plan it better, it happened right in the immediate season, against the same team, playing the way we did, winning by such a large margin, it was like a magical script. It's a huge satisfaction, and the next morning I started reading what people wrote, the videos they made, and that gets you a bit emotional. I fired off some texts with teammates and we discussed how amazing the season was... It's something you do when you're emotional.

I could see with my people what this achievement generated. In a few days I'll be able to give some dimension to winning this new ring. The closes people that could not come over, told me they watched it on TV with their kids... That makes me happy, makes me feel proud. I don't know a whole lot more, since after the celebration in the arena I came back home and I was up with the family until 4 in the morning, and I only slept like an hour at most. I watched everything that happened, spent time with my kids and that makes everything just so much more special.

I do have a better idea of what's talked about with the Spurs because of the team history. During interviews everything is put in context, because of the big 3, with Tim and Tony, and Pop at the helm. We played at an incredible level. I'm not a student of the Finals, because if we're eliminated I erase the whole season and I don't watch anything else. But a team that played with such clarity, dominance, that won by such large margins and against the team we did it... It's not like we beat anybody! With all due respect, Cleveland, who we beat in 2007 isn't this team. When that Finals started back then we had a different level of confidence, but now we knew we were playing against the back to back champions, that was playing their 4th consecutive Finals. When I finally watched the games from the outside, it was impressive. The ball movement, the intensity, and honestly I had a great time watching the team play like that. So it was a huge honor to be part of this team.

I received a few emails that said it was a pleasure to watch us play, that we played a type of basketball that has not been seen in a while. It wasn't something we did on purpose to look fancy. I'm convinced we played extremely well in 2005 and 2007, but with a different style. The fact that we could go back and look at the mistakes we made last season, that didn't allow us to win and help us understand what was the best way to beat Miami, all that made us play the best expression of the extra pass, something we love to do. The easy pass, to the open guy, was what we tried to do in a team where everybody contributed. Because Patty Mills was a towel-waver last season, Kawhi was only 21, and he was hinting what he could be this year. Danny Green, Tiago Splitter... Boris Diaw was a gladiator! Maybe somebody that watches a game and doesn't know much about basketball sees Boris scoring six or eight points, but what he provided for us on the court was invaluable. Everybody talks about the big 3, because we're the oldest guys, and we've been here from the start, but there's so many guys that contributed so we could play like a Superteam. If Kawhi didn't score 20 pts or was a little less brilliant in one of the last 3 games, they didn't know who to give the Finals MVP to. I think in such a scenario, Pop probably deserved it. Playing for this team makes me feel great.

Now I need to enjoy this, relax, enjoy my family, do everything I didn't do in the past 8 months, because the mental wear is big. But I have no doubt that when we get together again for the next season, start training again and the new season starts, we're going to go for everything again. That's how this works. We all play basketball not only because it's our job, but also because it's our passion, we know how to do it and we enjoy doing it. And there's no doubt it feels better when you're playing well. I haven't spoken a single word with Tim about his future, I don't think he needs to be talked into anything, unless there's some radical change on the team, I have little doubt he'll be back. I imagine I'll talk to him to see what he's going to do, but I hope we can continue playing together.

I was asked a lot about the Argentine flag. My wife kept it, it has some champagne spots. It was there for the previous 3 championships and it's some sort of tradition to have it around, it has the spots from previous battles, it even looks unclean, but they're marks on a flag that was with me on every achievement. And last night, again, we celebrated something incredible.

----

Excuse the typos, original article in Spanish here:
http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1701954-jugamos-como-un-superequipo

Phenomanul
06-17-2014, 12:24 PM
We played like a Superteam

SAN ANTONIO.- What I experienced was an unique moment, for a number of reasons: it's been a while since we experienced it, because we were spoiled when we started playing together and we won three rings in the first five years. Even though this one brought as many joy, pride and passion, when you experienced so many frustrations in-between and specially after what happened last season, it makes this championship special. Because what happened last season wasn't just difficult for me, playing that Game 6 horribly, but it was also difficult for Tim, Tony, Pop...

I had dinner with them after that happened, and the faces, the feelings, the emotions, the frustration, the fact we couldn't get a couple of plays off our heads, it was with us throughout the summer. We had the ideal redemption. You couldn't plan it better, it happened right in the immediate season, against the same team, playing the way we did, winning by such a large margin, it was like a magical script. It's a huge satisfaction, and the next morning I started reading what people wrote, the videos they made, and that gets you a bit emotional. I fired off some texts with teammates and we discussed how amazing the season was... It's something you do when you're emotional.

I could see with my people what this achievement generated. In a few days I'll be able to give some dimension to winning this new ring. The closes people that could not come over, told me they watched it on TV with their kids... That makes me happy, makes me feel proud. I don't know a whole lot more, since after the celebration in the arena I came back home and I was up with the family until 4 in the morning, and I only slept like an hour at most. I watched everything that happened, spent time with my kids and that makes everything just so much more special.

I do have a better idea of what's talked about with the Spurs because of the team history. During interviews everything is put in context, because of the big 3, with Tim and Tony, and Pop at the helm. We played at an incredible level. I'm not a student of the Finals, because if we're eliminated I erase the whole season and I don't watch anything else. But a team that played with such clarity, dominance, that won by such large margins and against the team we did it... It's not like we beat anybody! With all due respect, Cleveland, who we beat in 2007 isn't this team. When that Finals started back then we had a different level of confidence, but now we knew we were playing against the back to back champions, that was playing their 4th consecutive Finals. When I finally watched the games from the outside, it was impressive. The ball movement, the intensity, and honestly I had a great time watching the team play like that. So it was a huge honor to be part of this team.

I received a few emails that said it was a pleasure to watch us play, that we played a type of basketball that has not been seen in a while. It wasn't something we did on purpose to look fancy. I'm convinced we played extremely well in 2005 and 2007, but with a different style. The fact that we could go back and look at the mistakes we made last season, that didn't allow us to win and help us understand what was the best way to beat Miami, all that made us play the best expression of the extra pass, something we love to do. The easy pass, to the open guy, was what we tried to do in a team where everybody contributed. Because Patty Mills was a towel-waver last season, Kawhi was only 21, and he was hinting what he could be this year. Danny Green, Tiago Splitter... Boris Diaw was a gladiator! Maybe somebody that watches a game and doesn't know much about basketball sees Boris scoring six or eight points, but what he provided for us on the court was invaluable. Everybody talks about the big 3, because we're the oldest guys, and we've been here from the start, but there's so many guys that contributed so we could play like a Superteam. If Kawhi didn't score 20 pts or was a little less brilliant in one of the last 3 games, they didn't know who to give the Finals MVP to. I think in such a scenario, Pop probably deserved it. Playing for this team makes me feel great.

Now I need to enjoy this, relax, enjoy my family, do everything I didn't do in the past 8 months, because the mental wear is big. But I have no doubt that when we get together again for the next season, start training again and the new season starts, we're going to go for everything again. That's how this works. We all play basketball not only because it's our job, but also because it's our passion, we know how to do it and we enjoy doing it. And there's no doubt it feels better when you're playing well. I haven't spoken a single word with Tim about his future, I don't think he needs to be talked into anything, unless there's some radical change on the team, I have little doubt he'll be back. I imagine I'll talk to him to see what he's going to do, but I hope we can continue playing together.

I was asked a lot about the Argentine flag. My wife kept it, it has some champagne spots. It was there for the previous 3 championships and it's some sort of tradition to have it around, it has the spots from previous battles, it even looks unclean, but they're marks on a flag that was with me on every achievement. And last night, again, we celebrated something incredible.
----

Excuse the typos, original article in Spanish here:
http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1701954-jugamos-como-un-superequipo

I thought it looked a bit faded and yellowish... this explains it... kind of cool to know it's the same flag...

Thanks ElNono :tu

December Romo
06-17-2014, 12:30 PM
I haven't spoken a single word with Tim about his future, I don't think he needs to be talked into anything, unless there's some radical change on the team, I have little doubt he'll be back. I imagine I'll talk to him to see what he's going to do, but I hope we can continue playing together.
One more. :toast

TMTTRIO
06-17-2014, 01:40 PM
nice article by Manu. I love hearing what he has to say. Thanks for all the work translating them this year ElNono. I'm happy that he was the Manu we all know and love this year and not the Manu from last year. I was hopeful that what we saw last year was not the way he was going to end his career being the true competitor that he is.

ducks
06-17-2014, 01:44 PM
. Everybody talks about the big 3, because we're the oldest guys, and we've been here from the start, but there's so many guys that contributed so we could play like a Superteam. If Kawhi didn't score 20 pts or was a little less brilliant in one of the last 3 games, they didn't know who to give the Finals MVP to. I think in such a scenario, Pop probably deserved it. Playing for this team makes me feel great.

smaka
06-17-2014, 01:46 PM
Manu is a great writer, tbh. Beats many so called journalists.

101A
06-17-2014, 01:53 PM
But I have no doubt that when we get together again for the next season, start training again and the new season starts, we're going to go for everything again. That's how this works.

There it is.

ducks
06-17-2014, 01:55 PM
wonder if it will drive them to try to repeat since they never repeated

SpursRock20
06-18-2014, 11:32 PM
I love how Manu came to grips about his game 6 performance this season. He probably always has, but there was a time on this board where many felt that he was unapologetic about last year's Finals and came off as if he didn't play as badly as he truly did. I'm so glad that he was able to avenge his lackluster performance from game 6 of last year and play nearly perfect basketball in the clincher this year. :toast

DAF86
06-18-2014, 11:51 PM
Maybe somebody that watches a game and doesn't know much about basketball sees Boris scoring six or eight points, but what he provided for us on the court was invaluable
Blake

100%duncan
06-19-2014, 01:03 AM
Manu is a great writer tbh

Uriel
06-19-2014, 07:41 AM

:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:c ry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry

ElNono
06-19-2014, 09:15 PM
nice article by Manu. I love hearing what he has to say. Thanks for all the work translating them this year ElNono. I'm happy that he was the Manu we all know and love this year and not the Manu from last year. I was hopeful that what we saw last year was not the way he was going to end his career being the true competitor that he is.

You're welcome. At some point during the season, I thought about not doing them anymore. It seemed to spark more trolling than anything... not worth the work. But then again, I know some people appreciate it. So I'll try to keep doing them as time permits.

Mel_13
06-19-2014, 09:21 PM
You're welcome. At some point during the season, I thought about not doing them anymore. It seemed to spark more trolling than anything... not worth the work. But then again, I know some people appreciate it. So I'll try to keep doing them as time permits.

Thanks for hanging in there. Guys like you and Chinook deserve a lot of credit for continuing to add content despite all the trolling.

Proxy
06-19-2014, 09:25 PM

always appreciated

superbigtime
06-19-2014, 09:58 PM
Manu is really insightful and I love reading what he has to say. He took a little more responsibility for 6 last year than I have heard before. Nothing like redemption to bring out a little confession. Thank you for the translation. I'm so glad he didn't tuck his tail between his legs and retire. Manu is one of a kind.

skulls138
06-19-2014, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the translation. Happy for Manu thats for sure.

UZER
06-19-2014, 10:37 PM
Manu 2013 - " hey my teammates were bad too. We lost as a team "

Manu 2014 - " alright alright haha....ya got me. Yeah I sucked pretty bad last year. But we did it this year! "

skulls138
06-19-2014, 10:39 PM
Shit, happy for me too. Wooohooo, how sweet it is! :downspin:

weeks
06-22-2014, 05:44 AM
loved the article. thanks for the translation.

man, you forget how smart manu is until you read these.

LoneStarState'sPride
06-22-2014, 09:17 AM
Manu is gifted when it comes to communication, whether it's the written or spoken word. Love reading these. Thanks for the translation!

boutons_deux
06-22-2014, 10:16 AM
new battle cry: More champagne stains on the AR flag! :lol

r0drig0lac
06-22-2014, 11:02 AM
My favorite player of all time, even winning the Brazil many times

Harry Callahan
06-22-2014, 12:26 PM
Manu was fantastic for the vast majority of playoff games this year. I'm so happy MG could absolutely take care of business this year and make such huge, momentum shifting plays almost at will. He was definitely dialed in and kickin' A.

I made a point of seeing a regular game in person in SA during Christmas vacation this year with Tim, Tony, and Manu on the floor. Because of the uncertainty of the future, I'm so glad I did. Not only that, I took the plunge and went to my first NBA playoff game in person with my family (against OKC)! I live in the Dallas area, so it is so nice to be in friendly territory down in SA whenever possible!

If was a delight to watch and follow the 2013-2014 San Antonio Spurs. Very few NBA teams have ever played basketball this well (especially in the finals).

GSG........

Thanks Manu. If you stay in SA after your playing days end, you probably won't have to pay for your meals. That article was so concise and well written. Awesome....