PDA

View Full Version : How Will Cast Off Amnesty Players React on New Teams?

wildbill2u
08-17-2005, 11:43 AM
The players who were cast off by their teams under the "amnesty" provisions were publically branded as not being worth the money their contracts called for. And since they weren't tradeable with those contracts, presumbably every other team in the league concurred with that evaluation.

How will various players react? Are there clues in their past history? It's an important consideration if a team like the Spurs wants to sign them. There are two directions they could go:

POSITIVE: Show determination to prove they still have their skills and their team made a mistake? Will they fight for a starting job or significant minutes?
Accept a lesser role, and be positive for the good of the new team?

NEGATIVE: Will they sit back and take it easy, knowing the millions are still coming in? Whine and carp about their role on new team if they aren't starters?

boutons
08-17-2005, 11:54 AM
"not being worth the money their contracts called for"

... which is different from saying they are not worth any money.

"How will various players react?"

Multi $Ms for doing nothing can cover a multitude of embarrassments and insults.

"Will they sit back and take it easy, knowing the millions are still coming in"

How is this different from so many other ballas who weren't waived?

no way to generalize. case by case. Why they were waived has not only to do with them as players, but their teams as the other side of the contract. What player would refuse up-front a huge, unjustified, inflated contract? If the team was stupid enough to offer it, the player is guilty of nothing in signing it, nor in being waived later.

I really think being waived under tax amnesty will have little or no effect on a players day-to-day playing.

Marcus Bryant
08-17-2005, 11:56 AM
I think it won't really matter.

wildbill2u
08-17-2005, 12:06 PM
"not being worth the money their contracts called for"

... which is different from saying they are not worth any money.

"How will various players react?"

Multi $Ms for doing nothing can cover a multitude of embarrassments and insults.

"Will they sit back and take it easy, knowing the millions are still coming in"

How is this different from so many other ballas who weren't waived?

no way to generalize. case by case. Why they were waived has not only to do with them as players, but their teams as the other side of the contract. What player would refuse up-front a huge, unjustified, inflated contract? If the team was stupid enough to offer it, the player is guilty of nothing in signing it, nor in being waived later.

I really think being waived under tax amnesty will have little or no effect on a players day-to-day playing.

Everything you said are good points. What I wanted to discuss was how some knowlegeable posters here would assess each individual player's reaction.

How would a GM evaluate his character under this kind of public dissing. Their team made a business decision that their skills no longer matched the teams needs--and they were willing to lose many millions just to get rid of them. That has to affect them personally.

ObiwanGinobili
08-17-2005, 12:14 PM
Everything you said are good points. What I wanted to discuss was how some knowlegeable posters here would assess each individual player's reaction.

whoa. :wow it sounds like your saying boutons is not knowledgeable.......

wildbill2u
08-17-2005, 12:16 PM
I think it won't really matter.

Really? It was widely reported that Pop had a 'come to Jesus' session with GROB about his diminished role if he became a Spur and how he'd be gone if he let his ego become a distraction.

There are threads on here all the time that analyze the character of players, including how their emotional and ego problems can affect a team.

I have a feeling that this 'amnesty' thing has to be a big blow to the egos of most of these guys. They are being paid millions to go away.

Maybe some of them are too far down the talent ladder to have any illusions about their skills and secretly recognize they were overpaid--but I sorta doubt it. I haven't seen any quotes from these players to that effect.

spurschick
08-17-2005, 12:47 PM
I think it depends who picks up the player. If the player ends up getting signed by a lottery team with no hope of getting anywhere near the playoffs, I could see him sulking a bit. In Finley's case he has title contenders interested in him. That has to help a bruised ego somewhat.

mrpach
08-17-2005, 01:01 PM
Mabe to some players is a good thing, it allows them to search a team they really want, just to play for a championship.
As long as they love basketball and undestand the luxuty tax thing