PDA

View Full Version : NBA: NBA Rules that Make No Sense

mavsfan1000
06-17-2014, 02:10 PM
These 2 bother me the most.
1. Jumpballs automatically set the shot clock to 5 seconds if there is less than 5 seconds. Like Van Gundy said. Why reward the offense for a jumpball.
2. Advancing the ball to the 3 point line after timeout at the end of games. Timeouts shouldn't give you an advantage like that. You should inbound the ball where the ball was at when the timeout was called from out of bounds.

Malik Hairston
06-17-2014, 02:15 PM
I agree with the first point, disagree with the 2nd..advancing the ball with the timeout makes the endings much more exciting..

Also, while not technically a "rule", I hate when they reward players with timeouts when they dive to the floor and barely have possession of the ball..

Mugen
06-17-2014, 02:19 PM
Getting a FT parade just because you live in a state where meth is legal never made sense to me tbh.

~O~
06-17-2014, 02:32 PM
I agree with the first point, disagree with the 2nd..advancing the ball with the timeout makes the endings much more exciting..

Also, while not technically a "rule", I hate when they reward players with timeouts when they dive to the floor and barely have possession of the ball..

To me, it depends who it is. However, I've seen less of it in the last two rounds.

Thread
06-17-2014, 02:41 PM
I heartily concur on both points.

baseline bum
06-17-2014, 03:36 PM
I hate the circle in the lane. It's ridiculous that players should be able to just bowl down the lane and get the call every time. Fucking byproduct of making the game Dad Killer friendly and promoting isoball.

koriwhat
06-17-2014, 06:12 PM
Offensive players creating contact by jumping into a defensive player... that shit needs to stop!

z0sa
06-17-2014, 06:28 PM
I like the increased moving screen/out of bounds screen calls the league enforced. Was always one of my biggest complaints in terms of consistency.

Easily the most frustrating plays the Spurs faced during the playoffs was Russell Westbrook being forced one way, driving and long jumping 5 feet through the air, crashing into the help defender and getting rewarded with the call. Its a clever way to abuse the spurs system, Ill admit, but it just looks and feels like a total bailout from the defending teams perspective.

UZER
06-17-2014, 06:43 PM
The block / charge call every time there is contact. Offensive players flop, defensive players flop, then the ref just guesses. I especially hate the "he was set 1/100 of a second" charge call.

Stop blowing the whistle on those and guys will adjust. The defender will actually make a play on the ball. The offensive player will actually try to avoid contact to get the shot off.

DMC
06-17-2014, 06:53 PM
These 2 bother me the most.
1. Jumpballs automatically set the shot clock to 5 seconds if there is less than 5 seconds. Like Van Gundy said. Why reward the offense for a jumpball.
2. Advancing the ball to the 3 point line after timeout at the end of games. Timeouts shouldn't give you an advantage like that. You should inbound the ball where the ball was at when the timeout was called from out of bounds.

It makes sense because when the guy jumping for the ball touches it, the clock has to start. With less than a second or so there's no advantage to winning the jump in that case therefore no reason to have a jump ball. If it's kicked it goes to 14 seconds. That's actually worse. Tying up the guy with the ball just gets you an opportunity to win the jump, if you cannot do that you have no room to bitch about the time left on the clock. Don't tie him up if you cannot do anything with it.

ironman2886
06-17-2014, 06:55 PM
Getting a FT parade just because you live in a state where meth is legal never made sense to me tbh.
:lol

DMC
06-17-2014, 06:57 PM
I like the increased moving screen/out of bounds screen calls the league enforced. Was always one of my biggest complaints in terms of consistency.

Easily the most frustrating plays the Spurs faced during the playoffs was Russell Westbrook being forced one way, driving and long jumping 5 feet through the air, crashing into the help defender and getting rewarded with the call. Its a clever way to abuse the spurs system, Ill admit, but it just looks and feels like a total bailout from the defending teams perspective.

When a player turns his back to the rim while he's "attacking" with no real intent on scoring, there should not be a blocking or shooting foul unless it's blatant and flagrant. RW jumps in like he's breaking through a defensive line and gets to the FT line.

I also don't like the way people up fake and then jump into the defender like Wade did against Diaw in the last game. They were supposed to stop calling that but they still do. Unless he's moving forward and shooting off the dribble, a shooter should be required to use vertical movement just like the defender has to. Jumping into a defender as he's coming down because you up faked, imo, should be an offensive foul if anything at all because the defender should also have the right to land without being put into a dangerous position.

ffadicted
06-17-2014, 09:17 PM
When a player turns his back to the rim while he's "attacking" with no real intent on scoring, there should not be a blocking or shooting foul unless it's blatant and flagrant. RW jumps in like he's breaking through a defensive line and gets to the FT line.

I also don't like the way people up fake and then jump into the defender like Wade did against Diaw in the last game. They were supposed to stop calling that but they still do. Unless he's moving forward and shooting off the dribble, a shooter should be required to use vertical movement just like the defender has to. Jumping into a defender as he's coming down because you up faked, imo, should be an offensive foul if anything at all because the defender should also have the right to land without being put into a dangerous position.

I think if you pump fake, get him in the air, and then shoot normally, obviously a foul. If you jump fucking like sideways into him, then that's BS.

Franklin
06-17-2014, 10:27 PM
flops should be issued technical fouls, fines just ain't enough imho. Like in soccer games when a player dives in the box he receives a yellow card (which is similar to T and flagrant foul in basketball because two yellows = ejection)

apalisoc_9
06-17-2014, 10:47 PM
Swing under should never be a fucking foul..

mudyez
06-17-2014, 11:19 PM
defensive 3 seconds

Arnold Toht
06-17-2014, 11:24 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5u7g-BJP6M0/U55i24J733I/AAAAAAAAHnA/tAOHVdsd1kw/s1600/k.gif

Not cool to make fun of someone's mental handicap like that.

ezau
06-17-2014, 11:26 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5u7g-BJP6M0/U55i24J733I/AAAAAAAAHnA/tAOHVdsd1kw/s1600/k.gif

Not cool to make fun of someone's mental handicap like that.

Duncan>Kobe

Arnold Toht
06-17-2014, 11:26 PM
Duncan>Kobe

Still can't get Kobe off your damn mind.

ezau
06-17-2014, 11:32 PM
Still can't get Kobe off your damn mind.

Duncan standing above Kobe, Shaq, and Wilt in the all-time rankings. Good times, bro, good times.

spurraider21
06-18-2014, 12:01 AM
I hate the circle in the lane. It's ridiculous that players should be able to just bowl down the lane and get the call every time. Fucking byproduct of making the game Dad Killer friendly and promoting isoball.
the restricted area was implemented in 1997-98, after Jordan won 5 titles :lol

elmanutres
06-18-2014, 12:04 AM
getting a tech for catching the ball after a make or giving it to the opposing inbounder after a make. Who the hell cares.

Cry Havoc
06-18-2014, 12:29 AM
The rip through is the stupidest move in basketball and gets rewarded continuously. I don't mind it being called a foul, but it should NOT be a shooting foul.

Cry Havoc
06-18-2014, 12:32 AM
Also, plays that can be reviewed if they are called one way but not another is absolutely absurd.